• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

I know sometimes the Darth dudes got different names, but they specifically called him Kylo Ren, not Darth Kylo Ren or whatever.

The First Order sounds less like an Empire who runs shit and more like a religious/ideological offspring, complete with a Supreme Leader, who try to follow their philosophy. Snoke/Ren may not be Sith, but they probably look up to Vader like a mothafucka.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
why vader over palpatine?

edit: i don't wanna know. i told myself i wasn't going to read this thread anymore.

Vader was the boogeyman. Palpatine sent Vader out to enforce his will. As near as we can tell, no one knew beyond Vader, Luke, Obi Wan, and Yoda that Palpatine even used the force. Even Tarkin thought that Vader was the last person who actually believed in the Force.

graffix13

Not crazy about the name. Snoke just sounds silly.

I was hoping that it would be Darth Plageius (slim chance) or some other ancient Sith Lord. A new 'villain of the week' character created for the new trilogy just isn't that menacing to me. It's just going to take a lot to challenge Luke Skywalker.

Holding out hope that Snoke has a good backstory (and is, perhaps, an ancient evil power of some kind).

EDIT: Using a 'Jumping To Conclusions' mat.

Jarmel

Banned
So that definitely confirms Serkis is playing an alien.

Guessing that they might introduce the Sith race into the movies with Snoke.

Serkis also looks menacing as fuck in that shot. He's pretty much snarling.

MattyG

Banned

Guessing that they might introduce the Sith race into the movies with Snoke.

Serkis also looks menacing as fuck in that shot. He's pretty much snarling.
Whaaaaaat? I'm a massive SW fan and I never knew there was actually a Sith race. I'm on the Wookiepedia page right now.

Do you think if that's what he's playing he'll look like the Legends versions, or a new look with the same name?

graffix13

Was there an in universe explanation for how the Sith went from just being a race to being an Order?

This...but I guess it's non-canon now:

The Sith, known alternatively as Red Sith or Sith Purebloods, were a species of red-skinned Humanoids that originated on the world of Korriban, before eventually resettling on the ice-world of Ziost. Also distinct for their bone spurs, facial tentacles, and genetic predispositions toward both left-handedness and the dark side of the Force, the Sith species coalesced into an empire ruled first by kings and later by Dark Lords. After the arrival of the Human Exiles on Korriban in 6900 BBY, interbreeding and genetic manipulation altered the Sith species; over the course of several generations the original species became a hybrid race of Sith and Human heritage. Original Sith blood became a symbol of pride among the Sith, with the term "Sith pureblood" referring to Sith who had a higher than average concentration of Sith blood.

Despite a society dominated by barbarism and infighting, Sith civilization culminated in a Golden Age, after which the species was all but scattered across the galaxy. An eponymous dark side tradition took the species' name, one that, despite numerous manifestations over time, maintained foundations borne of the customs, science and magic practiced by the ancient Sith species.

More here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_(species)

Cheebo

Banned
Was there an in universe explanation for how the Sith went from just being a race to being an Order?

It was never a race as far as we know. We have no information about the Sith pre-Palpatine outside of vague reference to Plagueis in Revenge of the Sith.

Edit: The post above is for the old EU. There is nothing about Sith ever being a race anymore.

This...but I guess it's non-canon now:

More here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_(species)

It was never a race as far as we know. We have no information about the Sith pre-Palpating outside of vague reference to Plagueis in Revenge of the Sith.

Edit: The post above is for the old EU. There is nothing about Sith ever being a race anymore.

Thanks.

It's good to know where things stood before and after the change over. I wasn't sure if Clone Wars had ever mentioned the Sith as a race. I know Korriban was definitely in but beyond that I wasn't sure.

Cheebo

Banned
Thanks.

It's good to know where things stood before and after the change over. I wasn't sure if Clone Wars had ever mentioned the Sith as a race. I know Korriban was definitely in but beyond that I wasn't sure.
Well, the planet Korriban got changed in Clone Wars. The planet where the Sith began is called Moraband now.

Not necessarily.

I mean, the only reason we're even familiar with Andy Serkis is because he played a person so corrupted, for such a long period of time, that makeup/applications couldn't cut it. Hobbits are basically just people, but smaller. Aside from that one sequence in Return of the King (and you can see near the end of that sequence how makeup/applications wouldn't have worked as well) Serkis was full mo-cap/CGI for three movies essentially playing an emaciated, physically malformed human being.

Snoke doesn't have to be an alien at all. Serkis' very first huge success as a mo-cap actor was playing a corrupted, aged person. This could be something along those lines as well.

Jarmel

Banned
Not necessarily.

I mean, the only reason we're even familiar with Andy Serkis is because he played a person so corrupted, for such a long period of time, that makeup/applications couldn't cut it. Hobbits are basically just people, but smaller. Aside from that one sequence in Return of the King (and you can see near the end of that sequence how makeup/applications wouldn't have worked as well) Serkis was full mo-cap/CGI for three movies essentially playing an emaciated, physically malformed human being.

Snoke doesn't have to be an alien at all. Serkis' very first huge success as a mo-cap actor was playing a corrupted, aged person. This could be something along those lines as well.

Well Gollum was so emaciated that he might as well been an alien.

Considering the emphasis on practical by Abrams, I think he would have gone with makeup if absolutely possible. I mean how much decrepited can you get past Palpatine without it looking overdone?

Considering the emphasis on practical by Abrams, I think he would have gone with makeup if absolutely possible. I mean how much decrepited can you get past Palpatine without it looking overdone?

If he's a human that's been hollowed out by the Dark Side for 30-40 straight years, it might be that makeup/applications aren't possible to achieve the look he wants, much like Jackson decided makeup wasn't gonna cut it to show a person suffering the effects of 60 years of exposure to the Ring. I'm saying it's an option.

Woorloog

Banned
Is the rumor that Darth Plagueis is still in the film still alive or has it been debunked?

I mean, in the old canon, he was a Muun, and i don't see that being retained as impossible. They're rather close to humans but not quite the same, so Serkis certainly could play a Muun. (Or just about any alien species, of course, doesn't really mean anything.)

Cheebo

Banned
Is the rumor that Darth Plagueis is still in the film still alive or has it been debunked?

I mean, in the old canon, he was a Muun, and i don't see that being retained as impossible. They're rather close to humans but not quite the same, so Serkis certainly could play a Muun. (Or just about any alien species, of course, doesn't really mean anything.)
It was never a rumor. Just silly fan speculation.

I just wanna know if theres any truth to the rumor of Drew Struzan coming out of retirement to do the official poster.

Drew-Struzan-Star-Wars-Posters.jpg

just noticed how all the prequel posters have unnecessary lense flares.

JJ Abrams: Yeah Drew, but just make sure you do the poster a bit more like the prequel posters than the OT ones, ok? Just something about them I prefer....They're brighter, more modern, I think.

At BookCon somebody asked about a Fett comic series:
Asked about a Boba Fett series. ‘Not yet. There are reasons’ #BookCon

— Stitch Kingdom (@stitchkingdom) May 30, 2015

Seems to indicate that Fett is locked away for greater purposes. Could it be because they still want to develop a Fett anthology movie unrestrained, or perhaps include him adult-aged in Rebels? Or both?

I'd love to see adult Fett in Rebels to establish a greater library of badassery and then a post-rotj anthology movie to wipe away the embarrassment that was his death. I want to like him more than I do but ROTJ really messed that up.

lol Darth Plagieus

people need to forget about him.

I read his wiki article and the second I got to midi chlroians i noped right outta there.

Cheebo

Banned
Billie Lourd has now ruled out two characters that she is not playing.

Previously, she ruled out playing a younger Leia, assumedly for a flashback sequence.

Now she has ruled out playing a daughter of Leia.

Those would be the two most obvious guesses. Speculations shall continue.

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=22131

It is going to be at best a very background character. We know the full movie shot by shot and there is no spot for her as any of the actual characters with any sort of significant screen time.

I just wanna know if theres any truth to the rumor of Drew Struzan coming out of retirement to do the official poster.
Struzan has said he'd do it if asked (and he came out of retirement for far lesser projects such as How to Train Your Dragon 2), it would be shocking if he didn't do the poster.

sphagnum

Banned
Some news on the score from MSW:

...Bill Ross is indeed conducting cues for John Williams, according to various sources of ours (and elsewhere). The previous rumors are indeed correct. It is important to note that while Ross is conducting, Williams wrote the vast majority of the music and is conducting the crucial sequences himself. When some hear this they think Williams isn’t responsible for the music but it is very much a John Williams score.

...A lot of what has gone on for the film has been for sporadic sequences in the film but those sequences have covered a lot of different types of musical features than just the standard film score you would expect for a Star Wars film. One notable piece that everyone brings up is a jazzy swing/big band number that is supposedly really catchy. I presume that is for Maz’s pub sequence where Rey gets a bit tipsy, but no one would confirm the actual placement of tracks save for one sequence of the film involving the First Order.

Marches have been recorded but so far there is no “Imperial March,” but the “First Order March” is very much the “thing” they are recording. Just to elaborate, it is not really called the “First Order March” but the new march is for the First Order sequences in the film and is not the classic theme associated with Darth Vader we know from the Original Trilogy. The sequence in question pertains to the “Parade Grounds” set where the First Order’s size and might is shown off and when their Star Destroyers approach the battle against the Resistance. Up to this point, the Imperial March has yet to be recorded in a big way, although that’s not to say it might be show up for a bar or two during a certain sequence with Kylo Ren in his chambers.

There is also a piece mentioned by multiple sources that is described as a cantilena, an operatic piece, with sustained lyrics dragged out over the melody. This piece is described as one of the most beautiful and emotional pieces of music John Williams have ever written for a Star Wars film and appears to be tied to the snow planet. I tried to get confirmation if this goes with the death of a hero, but I have not been able to get anyone to say conclusively yet. I tried!

What has been described as Rey’s introduction leitmotif was said to be Anakin’s Theme from The Phantom Menace meets Leia’s Theme from A New Hope. Admittedly this was the track with the most frustration to describe to me for our sources as it is the piece you would most expect from the scoring sessions. Sounds interesting, none the less.

Most importantly, every one I’ve spoken to recently has reiterated that this soundtrack is brilliant so far and that Williams has topped himself. The amount of enthusiasm for this music is absurdly high amongst several sources....

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/06/d...racks-from-star-wars-the-force-awakens-score/

no one should be surprised that Williams isn't conducting the whole thing, He;s getting up there in age now and that's a very hard duty, their will be no loss in quality though for him having someone else do it.

William Ross did Jurassic Park and the first Harry Potter with him, so there's nothing to worry about there.

sphagnum

Banned
Interesting tidbit about Rogue One on MSW. I'll spoiler it because it's more about Rogue One than TFA, although the main article is just about how they're reusing some prop and costume assets from TFA for RO. But this in particular is interesting:

With everyone getting back together to work on the next Star Wars film this Summer, one crew member is adamant that when they shot The Force Awakens they did some stuff with Darth Vader beyond the burned helmet stuff seen in the teaser. Unfortunately this person would not elaborate after that tease that bit. The word around Pinewood is that the Darth Vader “experts” are needed again for Rogue One.
http://makingstarwars.net/2015/06/s...le-reduce-reuse-the-force-awakens-connection/

I don't know what they would have had to have filmed for TFA with
Darth Vader, unless it's more flashbacks, but we should know about that by now due to the call sheets. But this further solidifies the idea that he'll show up in Rogue One. Hopefully the concept art with Bail Organa pans out and they get Jimmy Smits back as well

Cheebo

Banned
That is definitely fake. 100%. TheForce.net is a shell of its former self and not a valid source at all.

Its a obvious photoshop job using this image:
CH3JDCCUcAApUAr.jpg

Top Bottom