• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Eh? Rey's there, so what? With implication she is not a Force-user, something i am surprised about. Unless they're bring Force-adepts over...
I'm thinking its been pretty damn clear she will have a big part in the films.

The poster could be read symbolically though, with Rey standing between the light and the dark...

EDIT Speaking of symbolism... Han Solo's twilight?

Go back over the spoilers about the lightsaber and who it ends up with at the end of the movie.

Woorloog

Banned
Is Rey not force sensitive?

I'd expect she will be. Have female protagonist who is a Jedi as well. Or perhaps a Dark-Sider, if there is actually some symbolism in the poster and i'm not just reading it that way.
In either case, it seems she won't be a Jedi in the first film.

Go back over the spoilers about the lightsaber and who it ends up with at the end of the movie.

Huh?
Sounds like the part i've missed, skipped or forgotten. *shrug*
I'll keep wondering and be surprised... maybe, when i finally see the film.

Here's the other pieces.

HVyKvuM.jpg

This design philosophy would make for some Dark Souls Star Wars game.

Bobby,

My friend that saw the movie was told that the book Aftermath and all the newer media have been dropping hints at where this trilogy is going.

Gravidee

I suspect that both Finn and Rey are force sensitive and will probably be passing around the lightsaber to each other during fight scenes involving it.

The concept art makes it look like Rey just caught the saber after being thrown by Finn or something like that.

sphagnum

Banned
There's no evidence that
Finn is Force sensitive. He just has the lightsaber because Maz gives it to him for safe keeping when Rey initially rejects it. From that point on, the lightsaber becomes a plot element to show the gradual growth of his bravery, has he goes from a bumbling guy who can't make up his mind to a hero. He tries to fight Kylo to avenge Han but gets beaten and Rey takes up the lightsaber from that point on. Unlike Finn, the leaks do indicate that she may have Force sensitivity since she goes off to find Luke at the end, seems to have repressed memories involving the lightsaber, and somehow not only resists Kylo's interrogation and turns it back on himself.

Hmm, maybe i'm thinking to simple about that poster, but SPOILER

Finn wielding a blue lightsabre in front of a light background = force sensitive and on the light side, kylo ren representing the dark side of course and Rey standing in the middle between the light and the dark side, meaning force sensitive but not yet on any side, most likely because her way of life, having to some bad things but also some good things in order to survive.

I guess, pretty simple thinking. ^^

Jarmel

Banned
There's no evidence that
Finn is Force sensitive. He just has the lightsaber because Maz gives it to him for safe keeping when Rey initially rejects it. From that point on, the lightsaber becomes a plot element to show the gradual growth of his bravery, has he goes from a bumbling guy who can't make up his mind to a hero. He tries to fight Kylo to avenge Han but gets beaten and Rey takes up the lightsaber from that point on. Unlike Finn, the leaks do indicate that she may have Force sensitivity since she goes off to find Luke at the end, seems to have repressed memories involving the lightsaber, and somehow not only resists Kylo's interrogation and turns it back on himself.

Not anymore. Apparently he's using it for half the movie in a capable fashion and does well against Kylo before losing. If he's deflecting blaster shots, he's Force Sensitive.

My understanding is that they're both Force Sensitive but she's seemingly had prior training and is more advanced.

Any validity to the Kylo Ren and Rey brother/sister rumor?

No spoiler tags in a spoiler thread.

I think it's pretty much confirmed Ren is Han and Leia's son. The Rey thing is kept under wraps. She might be related to the Skywalkers and she might not be. My money is on her being Luke's daughter that he thought died or something like that.

Cheebo

Banned

I think it's pretty much confirmed Ren is Han and Leia's son. The Rey thing is kept under wraps. She might be related to the Skywalkers and she might not be. My money is on her being Luke's daughter that he thought died or something like that.

I still think the fact she seemingly takes ownership of the Falcon after Han's death points more to her being an off-spring of Han/Leia than Luke.

Not to mention I am going to assume Luke never got married, it would just add more explanation needed for Episode VIII than necessary. I just can't picture a married Luke in this post-ROTJ universe. They are going to model older Luke more on Ben Kenobi I suspect in Episode VIII since Luke is basically not even in The Force Awakens.

I still think the fact she seemingly takes ownership of the Falcon after Han's death points more to her being an off-spring of Han/Leia than Luke.

Not to mention I am going to assume Luke never got married, it would just add more explanation needed for Episode VIII than necessary. I just can't picture a married Luke in this post-ROTJ universe. They are going to model older Luke more on Ben Kenobi I suspect in Episode VIII since Luke is basically not even in The Force Awakens.

IDK man I don't think we are ever going to get confirmation in the first film and in the second one we will get the "I am you father" moment but in a more bittersweet moment from Luke.

Having your wife and daughter die along with all the kids you were training seems like a good excuse to disappear. Especially if the one to cause it all was your nephew.

Her being Han and Leia's kid is the safe bet but I wouldn't put it passed Disney giving Luke a daughter. It really does seem like something they would do.

EDIT: Toys branded Rey Skywalker would sell like crazy. You could get the boys and girls especially if she ends up with a lightsaber.

Any validity to the Kylo Ren and Rey brother/sister rumor?

There are plot beats that suggest they could be related, either siblings or cousins, but I wouldn't put my money on either. My guess is that one of them will be a Solo/Skywalker (I'd say Kylo) and the other will have a protege and/or adoptive kind of relationship (say, Rey with Luke and/or Han) and either a tertiary connection to the OT or a more direct link to further revelations in this new trilogy. The galaxy is a big place and they have plenty to work through in the coming films, so I doubt they would want to cap themselves off at the knee so soon.

There are plot beats that suggest they could be related, either siblings or cousins, but I wouldn't put my money on either. My guess is that one of them will be a Solo/Skywalker (I'd say Kylo) and the other will have a protege and/or adoptive kind of relationship (say, Rey with Luke and/or Han) and either a tertiary connection to the OT or a more direct link to further revelations in this new trilogy. The galaxy is a big place and they have plenty to work through in the coming films, so I doubt they would want to cap themselves off at the knee so soon.

The lead of the mainline films will be Skywalkers. This isn't going to change. She's going to be related to them somehow.

Woorloog

Banned
Is it me or does Kylo sound a bit like Luke, reversed?

I would not be surprised if Kylo was Han's and Leia's child, kind of named in honor of Luke. Kind of.

graffix13

EDIT: Toys branded Rey Skywalker would sell like crazy. You could get the boys and girls especially if she ends up with a lightsaber.

Rey Skywalker...goddamn do I like the sound of that!!

Man...I'm hoping she's the daughter of Luke. But like the poster mentioned above it's hard to see Luke getting married, he just seems like the 'all work, no play' type. But maybe he had a rough night at Mos Eisley one night with too many JuJu shots and he woke up the next day with some dirty leg from the 'Eisley. It could happen to the best of us.

The lead of the mainline films will be Skywalkers. This isn't going to change. She's going to be related to them somehow.
I'm not going say this isn't the case, it is still very much a likely posibility, but it doesn't have to be nor should it. The Skywalkers will still be the central force in the story, especially if Kylo related by blood. You've got a potential reverse Luke-Vader with Kylo-Luke driving the story, why not break the cycle with a third party. Luke trains a protege to break the destructive legacy.

jerry113

Banned
Can I just say how completely excited I am for TFA?

I was too young when The Phantom Menace was released to appreciate the gap in time between OT and prequels. Now, I think I understand a little more about how OT fans must've felt when they saw the first trailer for TPM.

IHuh?
Sounds like the part i've missed, skipped or forgotten. *shrug*
I'll keep wondering and be surprised... maybe, when i finally see the film.
lol I forgot I meant to respond to this during the D23 stuff.

No spoiler tags in a spoiler thread sounds good. But being really vague about spoilers/speculation months old seems just as bad.

Cheebo

Banned
Can I just say how completely excited I am for TFA?

I was too young when The Phantom Menace was released to appreciate the gap in time between OT and prequels. Now, I think I understand a little more about how OT fans must've felt when they saw the first trailer for TPM.
The gap between ROTS is 5 years less than ROTJ to TPM. And we had The Clone Wars from 2008 to 2014. And Rebels from 2014. Star Wars was completely absent off screens of any kind from 1985 till the SE's. This is far from the same. There is a reason fans call 85 till 97 the Dark Times. ;)

Woorloog

Banned
If there's something to re-canonize from Legends EU, it is Kyle Katarn.

Also Jerec, his actor's hammy acting in the Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II so wonderful. He obviously loved the job.

Imperial

I figured as much. Rey being the daughter of Luke would be a great twist, and how she ended up as a scavenger on Jakku is definitely intriguing

sphagnum

Banned
We don't really have a Rogue One spoiler thread so I guess I'll just post this here? Minor thing, but Donnie Yen posted what might be some new helmets from Rogue One on his Twitter.

ys00gfB.jpg

bill0527

After the Empire cover reveals and JJs quotes the speculation is:

Kylo = sKYwalker/SoLO, son of Han/Leia, but took after his dad's ability to use the force instead of his mother's. Meaning - he has no ability to use the force.

Also, Supreme leader Snoke is strong with the dark side, but not a Sith Lord. Could possibly be Kanan or Ezra from Star Wars Rebels. One of them falls to the dark side (most likely Ezra) and becomes an inquisitor during the time of Episodes IV, V, VI. Then eventually rises to be Supreme Leader of the First Order after the fall of the Empire.

Kylo = sKYwalker/SoLO, son of Han/Leia, but took after his dad's ability to use the force instead of his mother's. Meaning - he has no ability to use the force.

Also, Supreme leader Snoke is strong with the dark side, but not a Sith Lord. Could possibly be Kanan or Ezra from Star Wars Rebels. One of them falls to the dark side (most likely Ezra) and becomes an inquisitor during the time of Episodes IV, V, VI. Then eventually rises to be Supreme Leader of the First Order after the fall of the Empire.
Kylo lacking force ability would be pretty awesome and unexpected. Just curious if there was anything that points to the Kanan or Ezra connection, or is it just a deep asspull for fun?

So the Force motion in the trailer didn't mean anything? Also lol Luke would fucking ruin every single villain in this trilogy if there weren't any Sith Lord type character.

BFIB

Makes sense that Ren and Snoke are not Sith, as the Sith were ultimately destroyed when the Emperor was killed.

I like the idea of Snoke/Ren looking at Vader as a martyr to the Empire for control, more so than his ability of the Force.

bill0527

Kylo lacking force ability would be pretty awesome and unexpected. Just curious if there was anything that points to the Kanan or Ezra connection, or is it just a deep asspull for fun?

Deep asspull.

But..this Supreme Leader Snoke who is strong with the dark side must have had some training somewhere. Since only 4-5 Jedi are around during Episodes IV, V, VI - Obi-Wan, Yoda, Luke, Vadar, Palpatine, then Snoke would almost have to be a former Inquisitor I would think and Inquisitors are not Sith Lords.

iosefe

Deep asspull.

But..this Supreme Leader Snoke who is strong with the dark side must have had some training somewhere. Since only 4-5 Jedi are around during Episodes IV, V, VI - Obi-Wan, Yoda, Luke, Vadar, Palpatine, then Snoke would almost have to be a former Inquisitor I would think and Inquisitors are not Sith Lords.

how about THE inquisitor from season 1?

ass pull to survive, but imagine it

Moff

I seriously doubt JJ abrams and kasdan thought "hmm who could be the villain? yeah lets take some random dude from that kids cartoon, that would blow peoples minds"

I'd hate it, too

I don't know how I'd feel about Kylo not being force sensitive

Kylo is force sensitive.

He uses the Force in the movie. So does Rey.

In fact, Rey is apparently better at it than he is.

And no, they're not going to have a character from Force Awakens introduced in Rebels. The two will not be tied together in so overt a manner, if they're tied together at all (which they're not, outside of the fact both of them have the words Star Wars in the title)

BFIB

Kylo is force sensitive.

He uses the Force in the movie. So does Rey.

In fact, Rey is apparently better at it than he is.

And no, they're not going to have a character from Force Awakens introduced in Rebels. The two will not be tied together in so overt a manner, if they're tied together at all (which they're not, outside of the fact both of them have the words Star Wars in the title)

As much as I like Rebels, it needs to stay contained where its at. Its a fun side story, and even though Disney says its "canon", to me, the movies are self contained for each other. Its why I can sit back and enjoy Maul in the Clone Wars being a part of some weird witch sister storyline.

I don't know how I'd feel about Kylo not being force sensitive
I doubt you have to worry about that. I can see him not being all that sensitive or great at it to start with though. I mean, I mean the Force Awakens afterall, so it kinda depends on whether that applies in a more literal/straighforward sense all around.

"Have you felt it?"

Someone's gotta feel it. Clearly Snoke does, but I imagine Kylo does some of that feeling too.

As much as I like Rebels, it needs to stay contained where its at.

It will be, definitely. As Moff pointed out: There's no way anyone involved with Force Awakens is treating Rebels as some sort of JV squad that they can pull characters from and graduate them into the big leagues.

Yeah there's no way Kanan would have fallen to the dark side. Although he was the main character of the first new in canon book. Has a comic about him. On top of the Rebels stuff. Maybe he shows up eventually. He's be in his 70's since he was a teenager when the Jedi fell.

I'm calling Han dies in Ep7 as some people presume.

Han lies on the ground in Leia's arms.

Han: ugghh.. ::gasp:: "I love you".

Leia: "I know."

BFIB

I'm calling Han dies in Ep7 as some people presume.

Han lies on the ground in Leia's arms.

Han: ugghh.. ::gasp:: "I love you".

Leia: "I know."

Pretty sure it happens in the first act too. He wanted to go out in a blaze of glory in ROTJ, so I expect we'll get to see that now.

Top Bottom