• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Cheebo

Banned
You would get wrecked because the Force user could literally just rip the saber out of your hands with the Force. Or just do what Vader did in Episode 5 and just chuck objects at the guy.

Well, he does get his ass kicked by Kylo in the end.

Rootbeer

Banned
I think he will be a force user, otherwise I'm having a hard time imagining what "niche" he fills in the team through Episode VIII and IX. Poe is the "best damn pilot in the galaxy" and Rey is gonna be a force/lightsaber user... but what are the setting Finn up for? Yeah he was a stormtrooper and can fly and shoot pretty well I imagine, but what is interesting about this on screen presence that can carry over into the future films?

I feel that the "Force Awakens" title is somewhat literal in that not only are we going to see some dormant/hidden force users come out of the woodwork but also new ones discovering they have the ability... possibly Finn.

I think he will be a force user, otherwise I'm having a hard time imagining what "niche" he fills in the team through Episode VIII and IX. Poe is the "best damn pilot in the galaxy" and Rey is gonna be a force/lightsaber user... but what are the setting Finn up for? Yeah he was a stormtrooper and can fly and shoot pretty well I imagine, but what is interesting about this on screen presence that can carry over into the future films?

I feel that the "Force Awakens" title is somewhat literal in that not only are we going to see some dormant/hidden force users come out of the woodwork but also new ones discovering they have the ability... possibly Finn.
Finn seems like he will complement the others quite well. You've got Poe who has clearly honed skills, Rey with her raw natural talents, and Finn rounding it out with the "room for improvement" role. I get the impression he will be an earnest, slightly bumbling, good guy who started off on the wrong team and wants to do right. That gives him plenty of space to grow into whatever role he'll have in the coming films. That growth will be the interesting part, with owning/fulfilling his role being the final payoff.

There is plenty of info out there to suggest both Finn and Rey's arcs will be interesting, but Poe is the one you should really be wondering about. What's driving him? What will keep him interesting enough to sustain a leading role? Does he have much of a leading role?

Not

Banned
Jumping in real quick to ask: do we basically know literally everything that happens in this movie at this point? Poor JJ. What do you have to do to lock this shit down?

Cheebo

Banned
Jumping in real quick to ask: do we basically know literally everything that happens in this movie at this point? Poor JJ. What do you have to do to lock this shit down?
There is a desire for Star Wars films far more than any film series or film period I can think of. Since so much of these movies is driven but the over arching story like rather than action scenes or who the actors are or what have you like most blockbusters. The same happened with the prequels. The intense beyond any other type of movie demand for spoilers means there will always be leaks. I mean we are already getting Rogue One spoilers!

We know the structure and the broad strokes of the narrative but there are still a lot of details that can take us by surprise. I feel like I'm going into this film with fairly little knowledge considering how much we actually know.

There is a shot-by-shot description out there. It's just simple (and originally coded) descriptions of what was shot, no dialog, and some of it is very very vague. But it's a complete list, without any gaps like some of the people hoping it's not true like to claim. I'd guess it's a good 85-90% of the movie with the only stuff missing is dialog and character motivation, but it's good enough to know what's going on.

And as Cheebo has said either in this thread or another one, every single piece of footage and official still released since it came out has matched it 100% and didn't contradict anything.

Jarmel

Banned
There is a shot-by-shot description out there. It's just simple (and originally coded) descriptions of what was shot, no dialog, and some of it is very very vague. But it's a complete list, without any gaps like some of the people hoping it's not true like to claim. I'd guess it's a good 85-90% of the movie with the only stuff missing is dialog and character motivation, but it's good enough to know what's going on.

And as Cheebo has said either in this thread or another one, every single piece of footage and official still released since it came out has matched it 100% and didn't contradict anything.

There is a good amount of info we don't know though like Poe's role. Nobody has a clue what he does in the film other than he leads a squadron.

Not even close. We have a general idea of about 90% of the plot. We know almost nothing about the characterization or the tone, and we know maybe like, three lines of dialog, tops.

This film is so far beyond the prequels so far as security goes. There wasn't a single Prequel movie that didn't have it's entire script, plus storyboards, plus sounds (and in Episode III's case, THE MOVIE ITSELF) leak before the film dropped.

In this case, the ONLY things that have leaked are pre-production art, and that one guy giving a copy of the shooting schedule to Making Star Wars.

That's it. Abrams, all told, did a really good job making sure things were locked down.

sphagnum

Banned
I feel bad for everyone in the OT topic when that happens.

Yeah, I'm getting kind of worried about what the reaction will be when people realize that Finn isn't a Jedi or the main protagonist. I think a lot of people are pinning their hopes on him being a Jedi and when it turns out 1.) he's not 2.) he gets beaten by Kylo Ren 3.) it's a white person (even though it's not a white male at least) who comes to save him and who gets to be Luke's apprentice there's going to be some level of backlash.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah, I'm getting kind of worried about what the reaction will be when people realize that Finn isn't a Jedi or the main protagonist. I think a lot of people are pinning their hopes on him being a Jedi and when it turns out 1.) he's not 2.) he gets beaten by Kylo Ren 3.) it's a white person (even though it's not a white male at least) who comes to save him and who gets to be Luke's apprentice there's going to be some level of backlash.
I expect a lot of shock and confusion when it turns out Luke has one scene in the movie as well.

People are creating their own image of what the films plot is going to be in their head already. That won't work out well.

I'm feeling it.

Lets hope those trailer rumours are correct and we actually get something. I mean, what was the use of that 15-second teaser other than building up hype?

I am assuming they are bits of the full trailer.

I think Finn's part is meaty so I'm not that worried at all. Some of people may be disappointed that he's not actually a Jedi but if he's a great character I don't think it should be much of an issue.

Cheebo

Banned
The big issue will be that this movie is effectively The Search For Spock but with Luke. So many are still expecting Luke to be a major player in this.

The big issue will be that this movie is effectively The Search For Spock but with Luke. So many are still expecting Luke to be a major player in this.

I am glad I went in on the spoilers early so that I could avoid this sort of disappointment.

Cheebo

Banned
I am glad I went in on the spoilers early so that I could avoid this sort of disappointment.
Same. I think I would be in shock leaving the theater and not know how to take it if I didn't find out in advance. I can sit back and enjoy the movie for what it is now.

It doesn't help that certain big Star Wars sites are fanning that with articles claiming there's a huge role for Luke in the 3rd act, despite their speculation not making any sense with what is known.

sphagnum

Banned

That's how I feel as well. I wanted to know everything about this movie so that I would go in already comfortable with the new universe rather than expecting it would be some sort of pseudo-adaptation of the EU. I can't imagine how annoyed I would be if I went in expecting Grandmaster Luke Skywalker swatting Sith left and right or something and got what we're getting. Over time I'm sure that would fade and I'd come around to agreeing with the story decisions JJ and Kasdan have made but there's going to be a lot of people who are mad.

Every time I tell someone who wants to know spoilers what happens, they always are at the very least shocked about Luke's role and many of them get mad.

I will admit, I am disappointed that there is no reuniting of the old guard for at least one scene. It would have been nice to see them together.

That's how I feel as well. I wanted to know everything about this movie so that I would go in already comfortable with the new universe rather than expecting it would be some sort of pseudo-adaptation of the EU. I can't imagine how annoyed I would be if I went in expecting Grandmaster Luke Skywalker swatting Sith left and right or something and got what we're getting. Over time I'm sure that would fade and I'd come around to agreeing with the story decisions JJ and Kasdan have made but there's going to be a lot of people who are mad.

Every time I tell someone who wants to know spoilers what happens, they always are at the very least shocked about Luke's role and many of them get mad.

Is Luke going to be in the other movies at all or is this just a one-scene thing in VII and that's it?

Cheebo

Banned
I will admit, I am disappointed that there is no reuniting of the old guard for at least one scene. It would have been nice to see them together.
I do think the parading of the big 3 around in publicity to then kill of Han before we meet up with Luke is part of the plan to make his death more gut wrenching and shocking for general audience.

Is Luke going to be in the other movies at all or is this just a one-piece thing in VII and that's it?
We have nothing official but it is very safe to say he is in 8, the last scene of TFA is pretty much a cliff-hanger with Luke and Rey.

Is Luke going to be in the other movies at all or is this just a one-scene thing in VII and that's it?

He shaved his beard immediately when VII wrapped because he hates wearing it, but he has it grown back now. They're also going to be filming where they filmed the final scene of VII for nearly six weeks so it's safe to say he has a bigger part in VIII.

He shaved his beard immediately when VII wrapped because he hates wearing it, but he has it grown back now. They're also going to be filming where they filmed the final scene of VII for nearly six weeks so it's safe to say he has a bigger part in VIII.

I do think the parading of the big 3 around in publicity to then kill of Han before we meet up with Luke is part of the plan to make his death more gut wrenching and shocking for general audience.

We have nothing official but it is very safe to say he is in 8, the last scene of TFA is pretty much a cliff-hanger with Luke and Rey.

Thanks guys!

prag16

Banned
I expect a lot of shock and confusion when it turns out Luke has one scene in the movie as well.

People are creating their own image of what the films plot is going to be in their head already. That won't work out well.

A lot of people are going to be butthurt, between Han's death and Luke's tiny onscreen role.

Same. I think I would be in shock leaving the theater and not know how to take it if I didn't find out in advance. I can sit back and enjoy the movie for what it is now.

I feel the same way as well. The one-two punch above probably would have had me very conflicted leaving the theater regardless of the overall quality of the film. But now I'm mentally prepared at least. I know my wife is going to go apeshit when Han dies. She loves Harrison Ford. Even OLD MAN Harrison Ford. Should I... should I tell her??

I think Finn's part is meaty so I'm not that worried at all.

Neither am I. I still think Finn's gonna be the POV character on this. Daisy might be the focal point regarding a hero taking up the sword and fulfilling her denied destiny - but I think Finn is the means by which we make sense of this universe we're rejoining. He's both Luke AND Leia, in a way, in the same way Rey is both Leia and Han.

(which is funny because a lot of people think she's Han and Leia's kid but I'm betting she's the offspring of Luke and unknown woman X from the 30 year gap)

inm8num2

There's something about that Struzan poster - Rey's dark eyes and her being positioned between Finn and Kylo. I think she's going to follow Luke's path as the hero but go darker and maybe temporarily align with Kylo at some point (end of 2nd movie) before coming back to the light in the 3rd movie.

If she's related to any of the OT principals, my wager is Han and Leia. I think Luke being her uncle might open up more possibilities than Luke being her father does. You still develop a close relationship through Rey's training, but it's not constrained by the parent/child emotional bond.

Then again, son of Han/Leia vs. daughter of Luke makes for interesting family drama.

edit - shit, thinking about it more I could see Kylo propositioning Rey with, "Join me and we'll rule as bro and sis." While Luke outright rejected a similar offer, Rey accepts it. This scenario apes ESB too closely, but I can see that as being one possibility where Rey's heroic path deviates from Luke's.

There's something about that Struzan poster - Rey's dark eyes and her being positioned between Finn and Kylo. I think she's going to follow Luke's path as the hero but go darker and maybe temporarily align with Kylo at some point (end of 2nd movie) before coming back to the light in the 3rd movie.

If she's related to any of the OT principals, my wager is Han and Leia. I think Luke being her uncle might open up more possibilities than Luke being her father does. You still develop a close relationship through Rey's training, but it's not constrained by the parent/child emotional bond.

Then again, son of Han/Leia vs. daughter of Luke makes for interesting family drama.

edit - shit, thinking about it more I could see Kylo propositioning Rey with, "Join me and we'll rule as bro and sis." While Luke outright rejected a similar offer, Rey accepts it. This scenario apes ESB too closely, but I can see that being as one possibility where Rey's heroic path deviates from Luke's.

Maybe she's in the center because she's the focus of the story? There are already rumors of a "Sith Witch" style female character being cast for VIII as well as Del Toro's villain character. Making Rey go evil after what she does in TFA doesn't really make much sense.

Maybe she's in the center because she's the focus of the story?

She might be, but I think either way she'd be positioned at the center because for longtime fans she seems to be the modern-day connection to the OT, regardless of her positioning relative to the other new leads. The fact that we even got a teaser backdropped by Luke explaining his lineage and connection to Leia signifies that the fate of the Skywalker lineage is the key mystery of the story, just like it was for the PT.

inm8num2

Maybe she's in the center because she's the focus of the story? There are already rumors of a "Sith Witch" style female character being cast for VIII as well as Del Toro's villain character. Making Rey go evil after what she does in TFA doesn't really make much sense.

You have confused "go darker" with "go evil". You also missed the part about Rey still being the hero by the end. It's possible for a character to be the focus of a story while not purely following a hero's journey. Rey being presented as the central lead need not be a trump card for any speculation on where her story might go. Nor is her positioning in the poster used as the singular reason why she might have an internal conflict.

Rey's story going in that direction could make sense if it happened - she's going to have growing pains in learning to use the force, and that may induce conflicting feelings depending on other things that happen in the sequels. That doesn't mean her dabbling with the darker side is going to happen or that it should happen, but it could happen. I don't necessarily think it will happen, but that's the nature of speculation - wondering about what's possible vs. assuming what should happen.

giga

Are we certain that finn isn't force sensitive? I haven't looked at the leaks so I wouldn't know, but most things I've read just say he loses badly and daisy saves him. But I don't think that implies he can't be sensitive?

Rootbeer

Banned
Are we certain that finn isn't force sensitive? I haven't looked at the leaks so I wouldn't know, but most things I've read just say he loses badly and daisy saves him. But I don't think that implies he can't be sensitive?

Luke lost pretty badly to Vader in ESB. Not all is lost!

People seem convinced that he is not, but I don't think there is anything definitive yet.

MattyG

Banned
I just realized that the fact that Kylo (and the rest of The Knights of Ren) aren't Sith allows them to subvert the Rule of Two. I hope this means we'll get a large scale lightsaber battle a la The Old Republic opening cinematic at some point in the new trilogy.

I just realized that the fact that Kylo (and the rest of The Knights of Ren) aren't Sith allows them to subvert the Rule of Two. I hope this means we'll get a large scale lightsaber battle a la The Old Republic opening cinematic at some point in the new trilogy.

What if it is the opposite of the PT? A lot of dark force users and only two Jedis?

Given the photos of Mark Hamill in white looking Jedi Robes, I hope this means the sequel trilogy allows them to do the same with light side users like they are doing with these non-sith dark side users. I hope Luke, Rey, and Finn are a new type of Jedi that don't follow the mistakes of the old Jedi order. Hopefully, Luke doesn't have any rules about Jedi dating and fucking. It would be especially hypocritical if one of the newer cast is his offspring as well.

I always got that Luke understood how important relationships were to being mentally stable. He wasn't cutting any bonds in the last movie.

Top Bottom