• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

MattyG

Banned
Apparently Han's last words to Leia are "I'll hurry back."

No idea as to whether that's delivered earnestly, annoyed, jokingly, or what.
Me in the theater when he says that

0p2DtzF.gif

I saw someone say they heard he dies towards the beginning of the movie, but I was under the impression that it'd be at the end. Anyone know for sure?

graffix13

Me in the theater when he says that

0p2DtzF.gif

I saw someone say they heard he dies towards the beginning of the movie, but I was under the impression that it'd be at the end. Anyone know for sure?

Turn that frown upside down, friend. He'll die at the end.

I hope.

inm8num2

Apparently Han's last words to Leia are "I'll hurry back."

No idea as to whether that's delivered earnestly, annoyed, jokingly, or what.

Maybe it'll be like the, "Hey, it's me!" from RotJ? :p

I can see Han saying, "I'll hurry back," mostly straight-faced but with a slight upside. Maybe he knows there's a good chance he's not coming back, and Leia might know it as well. They have a quiet moment and he cracks a smile to break the tension.

He dies fairly late in the film.

The movie seems to be structured like the original trilogy in miniature. The first third is Star Wars opening, the middle third is Empire's middle, and the final third is Jedi's ending - with a few twists and shifts here and there to keep things fresh.

Okay hope this is the right place to post this but i have been speculating on who the Knights of Ren are.

My theory is they have very little to do with the Sith other than the fact that they worship Darth Vader. If they are an off shoot of the Sith then i think they would be a very very old order that was possibly formed before the Rule of Two was in place. The Sith in my opinion are done. Anakin destroyed them at the end of ROTJ by throwing Palpatine over that railing and him coming back to being Anakin.

Now Kylo Rens obsession with him is interesting. I think the Knights of Ren were aware of the prophecy of the one who will destroy the sith and maybe formed a cult around this chosen one and waiting patiently for his coming. Them figuring out that Darth Vader destroyed himself along with Sidious, put it together that he was that person and we know that as well. They take it upon themselves to keep the force in balance by making sure the Jedi are not growing their order. Obviously it appears that this order is a cult and has a view that the dark side of the force is a right way of life and such that in order to keep peace you must ensure chaos. Keep in mind this, JJ has said that the obsession is with Darth Vader, not Sidious. Darth Vader was a traitor to the Sith by destroying them.

If they are Sith inquisitors then its an off shoot of the sith which again i believe that order is finished. It allows the prophecy and Anakins sacrifice at the end of the ROTJ to keep intact while also introducing something new into the universe. Personally I am a little tired of the Jedi vs Sith thing. The prequels did it, KOTOR did it and we have TOR. I wont be upset if they are related to the Sith.

Thoughts?

Jarmel

Banned
He dies fairly late in the film.

The movie seems to be structured like the original trilogy in miniature. The first third is Star Wars opening, the middle third is Empire's middle, and the final third is Jedi's ending - with a few twists and shifts here and there to keep things fresh.

How is the ending RotJ? The movie ends on a downer, closer to Empire's tone.

Raptor

Kylo is force sensitive.

He uses the Force in the movie. So does Rey.

In fact, Rey is apparently better at it than he is.

And no, they're not going to have a character from Force Awakens introduced in Rebels. The two will not be tied together in so overt a manner, if they're tied together at all (which they're not, outside of the fact both of them have the words Star Wars in the title)

Rey is the girl right?

She will use the force jedi style?

Oh man, Im in a blackout but this is amazing.

I think it's like the last third of RotJ in that it's a big Battle for Endor thing, with a giant space battle between rebels and the empire, a ground assault led by Han to take down the super weapon shields, and a very personal light saber duel between the main protagonist and antagonist

Rey is the girl right?

She will use the force jedi style?

Oh man, Im in a blackout but this is amazing.

You're in a blackout in a (potential) spoiler thread where the death of an iconic series character has been casually discussed over the last page.

You sure you want to be in here? :)

tim1138

I think it's like the last third of RotJ in that it's a big Battle for Endor thing, with a giant space battle between rebels and the empire, a ground assault led by Han to take down the super weapon shields, and a very personal light saber duel between the main protagonist and antagonist

Is there supposed to be a big space battle in TFA? Other than the intro to RotS, they were sorely missing in the prequels.

Finn ends up in the hospital with some sort of serious injury after losing a duel and Han is dead. I mean they find Luke but the rest of it is isn't exactly happy.

And Star Wars ends after Obi-Wan's dead, Biggs is blown up, Artoo is shot up, Alderaan is destroyed, Leia is tortured, and Beru & Owen are burnt to death.

And then there's a medal ceremony and everyone smiles!

Just because something actually happens to the main characters over the course of the film doesn't make the end a downer. The Force Awakens will have Rey claiming her destiny, Finn choosing to be as heroic as he's ever been, Chewie saving the day, and Poe sealing the deal, and that's all before they get back to the base and Rey gets to personally reveal to the audience the moneyshot for the whole movie.

Not a downer.

ViewtifulJC said:

Yup!

Is there supposed to be a big space battle in TFA?

Yup!

Jarmel

Banned
And Star Wars ends after Obi-Wan's dead, Biggs is blown up, Artoo is shot up, Alderaan is destroyed, Leia is tortured, and Beru & Owen are burnt to death.

And then there's a medal ceremony and everyone smiles!

Just because something actually happens to the main characters over the course of the film doesn't make the end a downer. The Force Awakens will have Rey claiming her destiny, Finn choosing to be as heroic as he's ever been, Chewie saving the day, and Poe sealing the deal, and that's all before they get back to the base and Rey gets to personally reveal to the audience the moneyshot for the whole movie.

Not a downer.

Return of the Jedi had an Ewok party, and depending on your version an intergalactic celebration, not to mention everybody at peace and everything resolved. The only melancholic component is the burning of Vader's body. Episode 4 and 6 had a much happier tone at the ending compared to Episode 5. I doubt we're going to see much celebrations at the end of 7 considering the First Order still exists, Finn is injured, and Han just died (unlike Obi-Wan who died halfway through Ep.4). Tone-wise I would definitely say it's closer to 5, where Luke resolved to finish his training and everybody splitting ways to tackle business.

Now a much stronger argument would be in regards to content and there being another 'Battle of Endor'.

Return of the Jedi had an Ewok party,

I know.

The point I'm trying to make is that there's no real context for how any of these events are going to be played. We just have a list of plot points, and almost none of the connective material. No real dialog, not much in the way of descriptions. We don't even know if "I'll hurry back" is supposed to be sentimental, comedic, sarcastic, earnest... Saying the ending is going to be a downer without really knowing at all what the tone of the piece is a little presumptious. Granted, I'm being kinda presumptious myself in suggesting it's not gonna be a downer, but I'm also trying to keep in mind Abrams, the nature of the movie as a relaunch of the property, and the key moment the movie is consistently building towards throughout.

Star Wars sounds like a downer if you leave out the characterization, pacing, tone, and dialog. Maybe the Force Awakens seems like a downer to you right now because you're imagining the plot points can only lead to a story that plays out the one way. But I'm suggesting that imagining the film as ending on a downer might not be the best call, considering who's making it, what it's trying to do, and the ending itself.

Jarmel

Banned
I know.

The point I'm trying to make is that there's no real context for how any of these events are going to be played. We just have a list of plot points, and none of the connective material. Saying the ending is going to be a downer without knowing for a fact the tone of the piece is a little presumptious. Granted, I'm being kinda presumptious myself in suggesting it's not gonna be a downer, but I'm also trying to keep in mind Abrams, the nature of the movie as a relaunch of the property, and the key moment the movie is consistently building towards throughout.

Star Wars sounds like a downer if you leave out the characterization, pacing, tone, and dialog. Maybe the Force Awakens seems like a downer to you right now because you're imagining the plot points can only lead to a story that plays out the one way. But I'm suggesting that imagining the film as ending on a downer might not be the best call, considering who's making it, what it's trying to do, and the ending itself.

I definitely agree that a lot of it will depend on the direction. Just because we know some rough plot points doesn't mean we know how it'll be handled. There's a ton of stuff we still don't know such as whether Finn undergoes Jedi training with Maz, or whatever her name is, and how severe Finn's injuries are. Hell we don't even know if Finn is capable. Things like tone are reliant on elements such as lighting and dialogue, something we won't know until we watch the film. I do agree Abrams doesn't seem to like downer endings going by his catalog of works but they are killing off one of the most iconic characters in cinema, so I imagine it's going to be somewhat melancholic. I certainly don't know though.

BFIB

My guess is we get a sense of how powerful the First Order is during the first 2/3rds of the film. Then at the end, we get the "Force Awakening" with Luke coming back into play.

Blunoise

I definitely agree that a lot of it will depend on the direction. Just because we know some rough plot points doesn't mean we know how it'll be handled. There's a ton of stuff we still don't know such as whether Finn undergoes Jedi training with Maz, or whatever her name is, and how severe Finn's injuries are. Hell we don't even know if Finn is capable. Things like tone are reliant on elements such as lighting and dialogue, something we won't know until we watch the film. I do agree Abrams doesn't seem to like downer endings going by his catalog of works but they are killing off one of the most iconic characters in cinema, so I imagine it's going to be somewhat melancholic. I certainly don't know though.

Wait. So maz has the force? Where is this said

Blunoise

It's the easiest explanation for how she can manage a group vision of the past.

People are speculating that she was/is one of Luke's students before his disappearance/exile.
Oh yea I see. That would be interesting, but what if the Knights of Ren were Luke's old students and they got obsessed with his father history and left.

Oh yea I see. That would be interesting, but what if the Knights of Ren were Luke's old students and they got obsessed with his father history and left.

I guess that's possible, but I have a hard time believing Luke would fuck up to that extent. It makes more sense that this Snoke guy comes into the picture post-Empire/post-Sith and starts grabbing up Force Sensitives for his own purposes, and Luke simply never saw (or felt) it comin'.

Kuros

Latest stuff coming out of forums and the starwars7 podcast:

YMMV on how much you think is true.

- Knights of Ren are "neutral" ie not dark, not light. Have been observing dark and light users for many years. Also force artefact collectors.

- A Knight of Ren observed the Bespin duel and collected Luke's lightsaber.

- Said collector rumoured to be Del Toro's character in VIII and Kylo Ren's former master.

- The Accademy massacre an attempt by Knights of Ren to keep Force in balance.

- At some point either Kylo Ren or the whole order decide that the Sith must return for the Force to be balanced and rebels against his/there master. Possibly seduced by Snoke who is not a Ren.

As said may all be bollocks but getting an airing on theforce.net forums atm.

This is the podcast http://www.starwars7news.com/2015/08/podcast-the-resistance-broadcast-episode-2.html

Woorloog

Banned
If that's true...

I wonder if that's kind of a meta-snub of Lucas' idea that the balance of the Force is "no Dark Side".

Also, the Knights of Ren seem to be AD&D 2 Druids. Those guys who interpret "True Neutral" as meaning "Prevent anyone from being on top at the moment".

I don't find that stuff truly believable though. Star Wars faction's aesthetics matter. If Kylo Ren is representative of Knights of Ren (and if that one concept art with "knight-like" character is for one of them), then they're obviously evil. Black and red.... There's no way those colors are for neutrals in SW universe.

Kuros

If that's true...

I wonder if that's kind of a meta-snub of Lucas' idea that the balance of the Force is "no Dark Side".

Also, the Knights of Ren seem to be AD&D 2 Druids. Those guys who interpret "True Neutral" as meaning "Prevent anyone from being on top at the moment".

I don't find that stuff truly believable though. Star Wars faction's aesthetics matter. If Kylo Ren is representative of Knights of Ren (and if that one concept art with "knight-like" character is for one of them), then they're obviously evil. Black and red.... There's no way those colors are for neutrals in SW universe.

For some reason the the first thought that came into my mind of a Knight of Ren observing the Bespin duel was the observers from Fringe. lol

El Topo

The more rumors I read about the Knights of Ren, the dumber they sound.

Was there ever anyone that actually liked that? The whole "True Neutral" concept was and still is dumb. The (more recent) interpretation of the Harpers would make more sense.

- Knights of Ren are "neutral" ie not dark, not light. Have been observing dark and light users for many years. Also force artefact collectors.

- Said collector rumoured to be Del Toro's character in VIII and Kylo Ren's former master.

- At some point either Kylo Ren or the whole order decide that the Sith must return for the Force to be balanced and rebels against his/there master. Possibly seduced by Snoke who is not a Ren.

This is the podcast http://www.starwars7news.com/2015/08/podcast-the-resistance-broadcast-episode-2.html

The Academy massacre as in the one in Revenge of the Sith? The claim is that the Knights of Ren were pulling the strings on that?

Rootbeer

Banned
I didn't listen to the pod but maybe they mean a new Academy started by Luke after RotJ.

Also I don't recall any leaks or rumors saying that they already had Luke's saber, only that they were trying to retrieve it. So maybe it was lost or stolen from them somehow. Assuming no BS.

El Topo

The Academy massacre as in the one in Revenge of the Sith? The claim is that the Knights of Ren were pulling the strings on that?

I'm pretty sure that refers to the rumor that
many students of Luke were massacred at some point while he was away

Woorloog

Banned
Was there ever anyone that actually liked that? The whole "True Neutral" concept was and still is dumb. The (more recent) interpretation of the Harpers would make more sense.

As i understand, in the early editions the rules were actually written so that Druids were encouraged to interpret balance as "attack whoever is the strongest at the moment". Whether people actually played Druids that way, i do not know.
Later editions were different, making more sense, and allowed neutral-chaotic/-good/-lawful/-evil options in addition to True Neutral.

I recall seeing an explanation what a True Neutral should be, and how it differs from others, and thinking it was good but unfortunately i do not recall what it said.

graffix13

Ick. I hope that turns out to be false. So the Jedi Council was unaware of the existence of the KoR? Or wait, wait....let me guess. They 'worked in the shadows'? Because that's never been done before. /s

Cheebo

Banned

Star Wars 7 News is not a trusted source of rumors. They haven't ever really been accurate unlike Making Star Wars. Do not take anything they say too seriously at this point.

Ick. I hope that turns out to be false. So the Jedi Council was unaware of the existence of the KoR? Or wait, wait....let me guess. They 'worked in the shadows'? Because that's never been done before. /s

They out Palpatine'd Palpatine when it came to working from the shadows.

That is why I am leaning towards bullshit as well. We already had someone pulling strings from the shadows.

Kuros

Star Wars 7 News is not a trusted source of rumors. They haven't ever really been accurate unlike Making Star Wars. Do not take anything they say too seriously at this point.

Eh, I care not one jot about that. It's all fun speculation.

Mouse Cop

I got spoiled on something from the teaser thread. I haven't read much of the spoilers on this thread, but I was wondering how accurate these were. Has there been a script leak, leading to these spoilers? I just want to know if what I read is 100% going to happen or not. I haven't read much from this thread in a long time, since before the second trailer, so I don't know if any of the spoilers from then have been kind of confirmed or not. Thanks.

I got spoiled on something from the teaser thread. I haven't read much of the spoilers on this thread, but I was wondering how accurate these were. Has there been a script leak, leading to these spoilers? I just want to know if what I read is 100% going to happen or not. I haven't read much from this thread in a long time, since before the second trailer, so I don't know if any of the spoilers from then have been kind of confirmed or not. Thanks.
I won't confirm whether that particular thing you read was true because there have been bad leaks and misinformation floating around to those who haven't been as up-to-date or discerning, but as far as leaked spoilers go the answer is yes. The overall plot has been leaked more or less scene by scene (as in, this happens here), but most of the connecting dialogue, motivations, and specific details largely remain a mystery. What little mystery is left (most of which is easy to extrapolate) probably won't last much longer, especially during these last few months.

Cheebo

Banned

Depends what the spoiler is. The scene by scene description of the movie is out there.

Cheebo

Banned
I am surprised and somewhat annoyed we haven't gotten a clear answer by now whether Finn is a Force Adept or not.

I think the fact that is Rey in the end who gets the saber and Rey is the one to go off to Luke makes me think Finn isn't going to be a force user.

Jarmel

Banned
I think the fact that is Rey in the end who gets the saber and Rey is the one to go off to Luke makes me think Finn isn't going to be a force user.

He is using it throughout the film in combat situations such as the base assault. Luke did jack shit with the saber in Episode 4. We also know that he does put up a fight against Ren who has Force powers.

Cheebo

Banned
I am mostly intrigued by the idea of him using it a lot and not be a force user. I mean technically there is nothing stopping a non-force user from fighting with one and it could be a nice change of pace to watch a saber fight with a non-force user.

Jarmel

Banned
I am mostly intrigued by the idea of him using it a lot and not be a force user. I mean technically there is nothing stopping a non-force user from fighting with one and it could be a nice change of pace to watch a saber fight with a non-force user.

You would get wrecked because the Force user could literally just rip the saber out of your hands with the Force. Or just do what Vader did in Episode 5 and just chuck objects at the guy.

I always sort of assumed the reason only Jedi used Lightsabers is because it's a seriously bad idea to try to use one without the Force augmenting your senses. Like, without a way to know exactly where the blade is without having to look you'd end up chopping off various bits of yourself.

Top Bottom