• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

image.php

Anyway, to answer the question, yes, Creed will probably wreck me more than Han Solo dying.

I have yet to even approach getting choked up at any Star Wars movie. I don't think The Force Awakens is going to be the first.

Although I remember feeling like I might maybe get kinda close during the George Kirk sequence at the very beginning of Star Trek. That surprised me.

Anyway, to answer the question, yes, Creed will probably wreck me more than Han Solo dying.

I have yet to even approach getting choked up at any Star Wars movie. I don't think The Force Awakens is going to be the first.

Although I remember feeling like I might maybe get kinda close during the George Kirk sequence at the very beginning of Star Trek. That surprised me.

Han is gonna get me, especially since I'm going with my aging father to see it, and the only reason he's going is for Han. Sigh. I'm going to walk out of this movie fucking depressed for my Dad, but he really wants to go.

If Abrams and Ford somehow manage to create a scene in which Han's dying gets me to well up in the slightest, that by itself would automatically put The Force Awakens in the top 2 of the series.

But then again, I'm pretty sure while it might pack a punch, the film is absolutely still going to end on a huge up note, so nobody's leaving that movie depressed.

If Abrams and Ford somehow manage to create a scene in which Han's dying gets me to well up in the slightest, that by itself would automatically put The Force Awakens in the top 2 of the series.

But then again, I'm pretty sure while it might pack a punch, the film is absolutely still going to end on a huge up note, so nobody's leaving that movie depressed.

Its going to have a post credits scene where Mace Windu returns and tells Rey that he's here to talk to her about the New Jedi Order initiative.

Han dying is going to fucking kill me but Rocky dying is going to fucking ruin me. I'm going to see it with my father that has been fighting cancer for 6 years now.

These are actually old-ish rumors.

I don't think they're true. I think we find out she's Luke's kid. He might not actually say the words (and the words might not actually get said at all) but I have the feeling it's going to be made pretty clear. The question will only come BECAUSE nobody's said the words.

These are actually old-ish rumors.

I don't think they're true. I think we find out she's Luke's kid. He might not actually say the words (and the words might not actually get said at all) but I have the feeling it's going to be made pretty clear. The question will only come BECAUSE nobody's said the words.

Huh. I'm surprised to hear that it's an older rumor. It's good to see you here, by the way, Bobby!

I used to be a lot more confident that Rey would be Luke's daughter, but I honestly think it could go in other directions too. The most obvious route would be Rey Solo, which Devin thinks to be the case. That said, Rey has definitely been promoted in the media to echo Luke so far. Even if she were to end up not being related, she's this trilogy's "Skywalker" in spirit.

It'll also be interesting to see how Rian Johnson handles the spoilers for Episode VIII, now that he's actually starting to shoot some parts of the film over at Skellig Michael. I suspect he's not quite as secretive as Abrams has been.

Yeah, I remember the first inklings of "I don't think they're gonna say one way or the other" popping up somewhere around June?

I laid out the case for why I think she's Luke's kid in the last Rumor Control episode for Full of Sith, but basically: The idea she's Han & Leia's doesn't seem to fit considering what we know about the story, and how she interacts with both those characters when she meets them. Granted, we're not getting dialog, and we're not getting a flavor of the characterizations, but we do know what choices the characters make before and after their scenes together, and they seem to bounce off each other like there's no other real relationship between them but the basic "we're on an adventure together" relationship. Finn & Han have a tighter relationship than Han & Rey. Kylo and Han have a more affecting (plotwise) relationship than Han & Rey.

Considering what the film builds to, and who we're building to it with, it just makes more sense to me that she's going to meet her dad (even if it's not said outright that its her dad) than the idea she's off to meet her uncle after seeing her dad die and not really interacting at all with her mom.

Yeah, I remember the first inklings of "I don't think they're gonna say one way or the other" popping up somewhere around June?

Huh. I'm surprised that I missed those reports.

I laid out the case for why I think she's Luke's kid in the last Rumor Control episode for Full of Sith, but basically: The idea she's Han & Leia's doesn't seem to fit considering what we know about the story, and how she interacts with both those characters when she meets them. Granted, we're not getting dialog, and we're not getting a flavor of the characterizations, but we do know what choices the characters make before and after their scenes together, and they seem to bounce off each other like there's no other real relationship between them but the basic "we're on an adventure together" relationship. Finn & Han have a tighter relationship than Han & Rey. Kylo and Han have a more affecting (plotwise) relationship than Han & Rey.

Considering what the film builds to, and who we're building to it with, it just makes more sense to me that she's going to meet her dad (even if it's not said outright that its her dad) than the idea she's off to meet her uncle after seeing her dad die and not really interacting at all with her mom.

Indeed. Those are all very true points.

My thoughts regarding Rey Solo would be based more around the idea that Rey really doesn't know her family and vice-versa. Especially if it were indeed a mystery that is kept going over the course of the trilogy. I think a lot of it will come down to how Kylo Ren is characterized and how vital his relationship is to Rey. If it's meant to really echo Luke and Vader, then I'd wager that they're brother and sister.

If Rey is Luke's daughter, then I'm going to guess that her relationship with Kylo is going to be based more around the legacy of Anakin Skywalker versus the legacy of Darth Vader.

Yeah, I'm thinking the last part is how that's going to go. It seems more interesting, too.

It is certainly more thematically interesting. However there is definitely a lot of potential dramatic character interaction for Rey and Kylo if they're siblings. However I'm rather skeptical as to whether or not Kylo would be characterized properly in a way to make that sort of interaction worthwhile.

I'm also very interested in seeing how Rey and Luke interact with one another in Episode VIII. Obviously she'll be training under him, but the question is what sort of dynamic will they have with one another? If she is his daughter, I suspect he'll be a very different mentor than Obi-Wan and Yoda were to him in the Original Trilogy and not just because Luke clearly had a very different opinion about the old Jedi rules than they did.

I'm definitely leaning most heavily toward the Luke is the father scenario, it just seems the most viable based on the information available as Bobby layed out.

That being said, this is a series in which the previous central figure was the son of friggen midi-chlorians. Is there any chance we have an Avatar-type situation on our hands and she is the second coming of whatever the hell Anakin was?

I'm definitely leaning most heavily toward the Luke is the father scenario, it just seems the most viable based on the information available as Bobby layed out.

That being said, this is a series in which the previous central figure was the son of friggen midi-chlorians. Is there any chance we have an Avatar-type situation on our hands and she is the second coming of whatever the hell Anakin was?

I thought about that possibility awhile back, but I think that's a very unlikely scenario. I doubt Abrams, Johnson or Trevorrow want to do anything that'd really acknowledge the existence of midi-chlorians.

Also, not really a spoiler at all, but I *also* just heard from a GM at a Cinemark here in Portland that October 19th is the pre-sale date.

So yeah, looks like mid-October you can prep your wallets for ticketing goodness.

So far as Rey and Kylo, I dont' think they need to be siblings in order for the personal drama to carry weight. They just need to be related (and either way, they probably are) - I've heard people argue that them being cousins would somehow diminish the inter-family conflict, but I'm not really certain that's the case. So long as they're related at all, it's gonna pack a punch, especially if it's framed as "the daughter of Luke vs the Son of Leia."

it's still a Skywalker family fight going on.

I wonder when we'll get the name of VIII.

Anyway, yes, I'm leaning toward her being Luke's daughter. Her being Han and Leia's has never made much sense to me. I mean, as it's been discussed, it could be explained, but it just doesn't click with me.

I think Rey and Kylo being cousins and the descendants of the three main characters of the OT is close enough for some interesting drama. Them being siblings might even be a bit too melodramatic.

BFIB

Also, not really a spoiler at all, but I *also* just heard from a GM at a Cinemark here in Portland that October 19th is the pre-sale date.

So yeah, looks like mid-October you can prep your wallets for ticketing goodness.

So far as Rey and Kylo, I dont' think they need to be siblings in order for the personal drama to carry weight. They just need to be related (and either way, they probably are) - I've heard people argue that them being cousins would somehow diminish the inter-family conflict, but I'm not really certain that's the case. So long as they're related at all, it's gonna pack a punch, especially if it's framed as "the daughter of Luke vs the Son of Leia."

I took off the 17th/18th, so the 17th will be watching the first six, then a midnight showing, then on the 18th I'm planning on seeing it twice.

I think the cousin thing will work really well if Kylo is weaker in the force. Gives him a reason to go to the dark side.

Ooh, I'll keep that in mind.

That's a good point. It'll be dramatic no matter what. It just depends on how personal the conflict is between Rey and Kylo, I think. I also wonder how active Leia will be in the future films too, since her wayward son murders his own father?

I wonder when we'll get the name of VIII.

Presumably sometime next year. It'd be neat to get the title this year though!

Anyway, yes, I'm leaning toward her being Luke's daughter. Her being Han and Leia's has never made much sense to me. I mean, as it's been discussed, it could be explained, but it just doesn't click with me.

I think Rey and Kylo being cousins and the descendants of the three main characters of the OT is close enough for some interesting drama. Them being siblings might even be a bit too melodramatic.

I do agree that Rey being Han and Leia's daughter doesn't make all that much sense, considering she's grown up all on her own in what appears to be a world that's even more harsh and uninhabitable than Tatooine. It could be explained, but it does feel like it'd probably be underused in regards to Rey's apparent interactions with Han and Leia in the film if they're her parents.

If she's a Solo, it's probably to have that brother-sister dynamic between her and Kylo Ren.

I think the cousin thing will work really well if Kylo is weaker in the force. Gives him a reason to go to the dark side.

That is an interesting possibility, but I get the impression that Kylo is definitely stronger than Rey right now. If anything, I think Kylo's conflict will be about fully giving himself over to the Dark Side, which is resolved when he strikes down his own father in cold blood.

My hunch is that Kylo is better trained on how to use the Force, but Rey is innately more powerful.

I think the interrogation scene between them is going to hint at that, if their fight at the end doesn't.

Hex

Banned
I think the children thing is just too boring and cliche.
I am really hoping that they swerve people and do not do it, OR have someone be one of their children and then kill them off out of nowhere.

I think the children thing is just too boring and cliche.
I am really hoping that they swerve people and do not do it, OR have someone be one of their children and then kill them off out of nowhere.
That "swerve" sounds hollow and tacky!

I think having them be the children is fine from a dramatic standpoint, though how they treat the relationships--as in whether the reveals are treated as cheap "twists" or shocking moments from both the audience and characters' point of view, or as something that is revealed more naturally (with a dose of earned mystery and tension)--will be what makes or breaks the lame-o-meter. I think Kylo being Han's son works better if Han slowly comes to the realization (or knew ahead of time and the other characters slowly come to realize) that his son is a punk, as opposed to a sudden "No, I am your son" type moment. Treating it as some sort of twist when really this is what people are expecting has no dramatic bite. I have faith it'll be set up in a satisfying way though.

Hex

Banned
Cliche how?

I mean, it's the story of a specific family. The spinoff movies are for unrelated people.

What's the positive in a "sweve" like that, thematically?

The movie goes off in a new direction without relying forever on Skywalker and Solo.
Their legacy should remain, but it is a large galaxy and there should be more heroes and others who rise up.
Just my opinion.
The one dying could be used to unite others.

The movie goes off in a new direction without relying forever on Skywalker and Solo.
Their legacy should remain,

How would the Skywalker legacy remain if you kill off their children?

There are going to be Star Wars movies that don't have any Skywalkers in them. One every other year. But the main saga follows a family tree. From son, to father, and now to grandchildren.

prag16

Banned
Their legacy should remain, but it is a large galaxy and there should be more heroes and others who rise up.
Just my opinion.

This keeps popping up every couple pages it seems. People who want the mainline movies to veer away from the Skywalker family. That'll never happen. Deal with it. That's what the "new" EU and "Anthology" stuff is for. And there's gonna be a ton of such content. More than we can handle in all likelihood.

Just my opinion.

The main Star Wars series is about the Skywalkers. It seems you might want a different series.

And you will have the Anthology films.

Hex

Banned
How would the Skywalker legacy remain if you kill off their children?

There are going to be Star Wars movies that don't have any Skywalkers in them. One every other year. But the main saga follows a family tree. From son, to father, and now to grandchildren.

The legacy would be ending the Emperor, bringing back the Jedi, beginning training Jedi again and being a legend through the galaxy.
There does not have to be Luke's kids for a Skywalker legacy or Han and Leia's kids for that matter.
Though I do see that there really should be a kid from those two at least.

The main Star Wars series is about the Skywalkers. It seems you might want a different series.

And you will have the Anthology films.

This is true

Yeah, I think they shouldn't try to reboot the series. Keep the generation.

I wonder how long after 9 10-12 will come. Another 10 years? I hope it doesn't take too long, and that I'm alive.

MattyG

Banned
Yeah, I think they shouldn't try to reboot the series. Keep the generation.

I wonder how long after 9 10-12 will come. Another 10 years? I hope it doesn't take too long, and that I'm alive.
I really doubt Disney would take that long between numbered installments. Assuming that VII-IX and the side movies go well (which I have no doubt they will), I'd say there would be a 3 or 4 year break in between IX and X with side movies releasing in the interim to keep the momentum going.

Top Bottom