• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Hex

Banned
The movie will have two force users as heroes correct? If there a reason why Rey goes on to train with luke and not Finn? Or is Finny just not interested in becoming a Jedi?

People are assuming Rey goes on to train with Luke because she is the pretty white girl and everyone has some kind of fantasy about her staff turning into some crazy lightsaber thing.
There is absolutely no confirmation or any sign at all of Rey using the force at all at this point other than rumors.

MattyG

Banned
People are assuming Rey goes on to train with Luke because she is the pretty white girl and everyone has some kind of fantasy about her staff turning into some crazy lightsaber thing.
There is absolutely no confirmation or any sign at all of Rey using the force at all at this point other than rumors.
People aren't assuming that for the reasons you said (though she is a pretty white girl and lightsaber staff would be cool, I'll give you those), that's just what rumors from relatively reliable sources have led us to believe. And at this point, aside from the ~5 minutes of footage that's been released, those rumors are all we have to go on.

Nah, Rey uses the force in this movie.
Finn is also possibly force sensitive (although probably not to the extent Rey is)

Finn does not go off with Rey to meet Luke because Finn probably loses a leg (or gets his leg really fucked up) in the fight with Kylo. Nothing that says Finn doesn't end up also joining Luke later. Or hell, even learning from Maz - who is, I think, assumed to be one of the only (if not the only) students of Luke's first temple to have survived the attack on it.

Her staff is just a staff. At no point does a lasersword jut out of it. She does whip some ass with it, though.

Wait we know it's the leg now?

We don't *know* anything about the fight other than it takes Finn out, and it ends with Ren escaping and Chewie rescuing Finn & Rey.

But it seems like it might be the leg because the concept art shows Finn laying down, and it's been said he throws her the saber, or throws it to her and she picks it up. It makes it less likely he's losing a hand/arm if he's still able to get the saber to her.

We don't *know* anything about the fight other than it takes Finn out, and it ends with Ren escaping and Chewie rescuing Finn & Rey.

But it seems like it might be the leg because the concept art shows Finn laying down, and it's been said he throws her the saber, or throws it to her and she picks it up. It makes it less likely he's losing a hand/arm if he's still able to get the saber to her.

Plus, the hand-chopping off is a fate meant for R-

The hand getting cut off is Rey's destiny.

-ey. Ah, beat me to it.

By the way, apparently Mark and Daisy were confirmed to be shooting scenes for Episode VIII today at Skellig Michael with Rian Johnson. A "little person," as the article put it, was there too, but there's debate as to whether or not it was Kenny Baker (I'm sure it wasn't; dude's in his eighties and has health issues apparently).

I honestly don't get why they couldn't either be way more secretive about the filming or just wait until 7 had been released. So many people will read into characters not being seen on set as a death in 7 (I am already seeing it in places).

Either way, I'd love a new full trailer, as would everyone, not quite grasping at why people think there may be one soon?

I thought production on VIII was supposed to start in 2016. Hm.

Main production might start next year, but Johnson's playing it smart and is getting the scenes set on Skellig Michael out of the way now. It's apparently a tough place to film at and has very volatile weather. In fact, they had to cancel filming there yesterday due to bad weather.

With that in mind, along with the fact that Johnson will be working with a much smaller time-frame for production than Abrams had for TFA, it totally makes sense for him to go ahead and get this segment of the film out of the way now (however extensive it may or may not be).

Main production might start next year, but Johnson's playing it smart and is getting the scenes set on Skellig Michael out of the way now. It's apparently a tough place to film at and has very volatile weather. In fact, they had to cancel filming there yesterday due to bad weather.

With that in mind, along with the fact that Johnson will be working with a much smaller time-frame for production than Abrams had for TFA, it totally makes sense for him to go ahead and get this segment of the film out of the way now (however extensive it may or may not be).
I didn't think about it that way and it totally makes sense. I have a slight sliver of hope that I can apply to be a production assistant when main production starts. All odds are against that, though.

Edit: So when do y'all think the Episode VIII version of this thread should go up?

MattyG

Banned
I didn't think about it that way and it totally makes sense. I have a slight sliver of hope that I can apply to be a production assistant when main production starts. All odds are against that, though.

Edit: So when do y'all think the Episode VIII version of this thread should go up?
Probably when we start getting substantial leaks for it. I don't think actors showing up for filming is worth starting a new thread for, but when we start getting story info and character info, then it'll be time.

I actually think I might try to go dark on spoilers for episode 8. I've loved talking with you guys in here for the last 12-18 months, but I kind of don't want to spoil all the movies for me. I want to have that fresh experience for at least one of them. Really the only reason I don't want to go dark is so that I can keep talking to you guys about new stuff.

Probably when we start getting substantial leaks for it. I don't think actors showing up for filming is worth starting a new thread for, but when we start getting story info and character info, then it'll be time.

I actually think I might try to go dark on spoilers for episode 8. I've loved talking with you guys in here for the last 12-18 months, but I kind of don't want to spoil all the movies for me. I want to have that fresh experience for at least one of them. Really the only reason I don't want to go dark is so that I can keep talking to you guys about new stuff.

I'm honestly not sure what I'll be doing when spoilers start coming in for Episode VIII. Initially I had planned to just spoil myself on The Force Awakens, since it's the first new Star Wars film in some time, but I am positively giddy to find out what the hell Rian Johnson has in store for us with VIII.

Plus, I missed out on chatting with you lovely folks during the majority of the TFA spoiler cycle.

vladdamad

Apologies if this has been discussed before but is it pretty much certain that Kylo Ren just looks normal/human under the mask like in the Empire photos? Also, there was a giant story sypnosis circulating recently, the one that starts with a lightsaber floating through space. It seems to mesh fairly well with all the info we've received officially but have there been any rumours that debunk it?

The thing that I am most excited for so far is Snoke, I love really weird, alien designs in my Star Wars villains (Darth Malak, Darth Maul) so the fact that, even though they seem to be trying really hard to do physical sets and props they have to use CGI to portray the character makes me really excited.

Apologies if this has been discussed before but is it pretty much certain that Kylo Ren just looks normal/human under the mask like in the Empire photos?

If the Vanity Fair photo and clip from the spring are anything to go by, then yes, Kylo is just a normal looking guy underneath the mask. I suspect that's probably the case and that he sorta acts as an answer to "What if Anakin hadn't gotten immolated on Mustafar in III?" Though obviously, he's not as strong as Anakin was.

Also, there was a giant story sypnosis circulating recently, the one that starts with a lightsaber floating through space. It seems to mesh fairly well with all the info we've received officially but have there been any rumours that debunk it?

Not that I know of. The story synopsis only seems to be proving itself to be more and more accurate overtime, though there's apparently about 10% of it that's off (potentially who Rey's parents are).

However there are some folks who aren't fond of the synopsis and are constantly trying to debunk/discredit it over on other forums, though that seems to be largely driven by their own personal wishes and speculations than any real evidence.

The thing that I am most excited for so far is Snoke, I love really weird, alien designs in my Star Wars villains (Darth Malak, Darth Maul) so the fact that, even though they seem to be trying really hard to do physical sets and props they have to use CGI to portray the character makes me really excited.

It will definitely be interesting to find out more about Snoke, though we probably won't get to learn much about him until at least Episode VIII.

vladdamad

Not that I know of. The story synopsis only seems to be proving itself to be more and more accurate overtime, though there's apparently about 10% of it that's off (potentially who Rey's parents are).

However there are some folks who aren't fond of the synopsis and are constantly trying to debunk/discredit it over on other forums, though that seems to be largely driven by their own personal wishes and speculations than any real evidence.

Interesting, thanks! I only skimmed the synopsis (oddly enough for stuff like Star Wars character death spoilers don't bother me but locations and set pieces I want to be surprised by), and it definitely seemed like a very solid plot. I thought that Luke would die instead of Han though, mirroring the whole Obi-Wan mentor thing from a New Hope. It's good that he is sticking around, and I can't wait to see the Skellig islands in the films - I am from Ireland myself and the area where they are filming is breathtaking.

It would make sense if we don't see Snoke for a while but I would love to see a brief shot of him in the Ep.7, kind of like a teaser very close to the ending.

graffix13

I really hope that Rey's father is Luke. But I keep going back and forth if it will be Luke or Han/Leia as the parents.

On one hand, it just would be great seeing a female Skywalker lead (although she would still be a Skywalker technically if she's Han/Leia's kid) and her being trained by her father Luke. However on the flip side of that, the brother (Kylo) vs sister (Rey) dynamic is good too. That is assuming that Kylo is Han's son.

Interesting, thanks! I only skimmed the synopsis (oddly enough for stuff like Star Wars character death spoilers don't bother me but locations and set pieces I want to be surprised by), and it definitely seemed like a very solid plot. I thought that Luke would die instead of Han though, mirroring the whole Obi-Wan mentor thing from a New Hope. It's good that he is sticking around, and I can't wait to see the Skellig islands in the films - I am from Ireland myself and the area where they are filming is breathtaking.

It would make sense if we don't see Snoke for a while but I would love to see a brief shot of him in the Ep.7, kind of like a teaser very close to the ending.

That's the thing; Han is the Obi-Wan of this film. Luke is going to be this trilogy's Yoda.

I quite like the plot a lot personally. It feels like a solid culmination of the entire OT into one film. However it'll all come down to the characterization and the execution of the film in its entirety.

I really hope that Rey's father is Luke. But I keep going back and forth if it will be Luke or Han/Leia as the parents.

On one hand, it just would be great seeing a female Skywalker lead (although she would still be a Skywalker technically if she's Han/Leia's kid) and her being trained by her father Luke. However on the flip side of that, the brother (Kylo) vs sister (Rey) dynamic is good too. That is assuming that Kylo is Han's son.

I think the obvious answer is that Rey is Han and Leia's daughter. However, whenever I stop and really think about the story and what we know of it, Luke being the father just feels like the more natural option. The benefits of Rey being a Solo is to have a more intimate relationship with Kylo as a battle of siblings, but I don't see Lucasfilm and Disney going the distance in making that idea work to its best potential.

graffix13

I think the obvious answer is that Rey is Han and Leia's daughter. However, whenever I stop and really think about the story and what we know of it, Luke being the father just feels like the more natural option. The benefits of Rey being a Solo is to have a more intimate relationship with Kylo as a battle of siblings, but I don't see Lucasfilm and Disney going the distance in making that idea work to its best potential.

Yeah...I hope you're right. I just have a feeling they are going to make Kylo/Rey brother and sister to add fuel to the conflict. I'll call that the 'easy route'.

If she is Luke's daughter, you have so many more questions that spring from that. Why is she on Jakku? Who is her mother? Is her mother dead? Etc, etc. Although maybe those are plot points for the future movies. And maybe the biggest point is that you'll have the drama of Rey wanting to know why Luke "abandoned" her. Let's hope they take this route.

Yeah...I hope you're right. I just have a feeling they are going to make Kylo/Rey brother and sister to add fuel to the conflict. I'll call that the 'easy route'.

If she is Luke's daughter, you have so many more questions that spring from that. Why is she on Jakku? Who is her mother? Is her mother dead? Etc, etc. Although maybe those are plot points for the future movies. And maybe the biggest point is that you'll have the drama of Rey wanting to know why Luke "abandoned" her. Let's hope they take this route.
Her being Luke's daughter seems like the easiest and cleanest route for explaining why she is all alone and motherless.

We know from the toys that Kylo intends to eliminate the last Jedi, and the spoilers suggest some bad shit goes down in the house of Luke early on. Losing your wife and students because people are after you seems like a great incentive for dropping your daughter off on a distant ruined planet with a trusted friend without letting anyone else (including herself) know who or where she is (Kira?). I imagine Kaz realizes who she is and through that comes to understand the purpose of the lightsaber, and I would also imagine she keeps that to herself and nudges Rey in the right direction to find out for herself. Maybe when the droids find out where Luke is, Kaz suggests Rey go off on her own.

Now that Rey has come of age, the bad guys have become aware of her existence and her legacy (we don't need to the lightsaber to find Luke! we have his daughter), so it's time to reunite and fulfill your destiny.

Rey being Han and Leia's kid wouldn't make ANY sense at this point.

Not necessarily. It's easy in that we know Han and Leia are an established couple in SW lore, but if it's so easy, then why does it seem like Rey's interactions with Han and Leia in TFA are so underwhelming? Why was she abandoned to grow up on her own on what appears to be one of the most socially dangerous worlds in the GFFA?

If she's a Solo, I'd wager that it's something she doesn't quite know yet until maybe VIII.

Indeed, though I also think that if she's Luke's daughter, a lot of it just comes off as being a lot more natural. We'll see what happens.

Her being Luke's daughter seems like the easiest and cleanest route for explaining why she is all alone and motherless.

We know from the toys that Kylo intends to eliminate the last Jedi, and the spoilers suggest some bad shit goes down in the house of Luke early on. Losing your wife and students because people are after you seems like a great incentive for dropping your daughter off on a distant ruined planet with a trusted friend without letting anyone else (including herself) know who or where she is (Kira?). I imagine Kaz realizes who she is and through that comes to understand the purpose of the lightsaber, and I would also imagine she keeps that to herself and nudges Rey in the right direction to find out for herself. Maybe when the droids find out where Luke is, Kaz suggests Rey go off on her own.

Now that Rey has come of age, the bad guys have become aware of her existence and her legacy (we don't need to the lightsaber to find Luke! we have his daughter), so it's time to reunite and fulfill your destiny.

Rey being Han and Leia's kid wouldn't make ANY sense at this point.

There's zero evidence Luke was married in any of the legitimate leaks.

Jarmel

Banned

Makes sense I guess.

There's zero evidence Luke was married in any of the legitimate leaks.
And your point is? I mean, you could just as easily have said there is no evidence Rey is his daughter. Well, yeah, this is speculation. It's not like I'm over here trying to declare this as a factual account. I merely put together one possible explanation that's fits the available information to demonstrate how it could work and how it could answer the big questions (quite neatly I think). Don't worry about a potential throwaway detail.

If the details of Luke's relationship status were at all known this conversation would be much different.

I'm on team Rey Skywalker for the simple fact this is Disney and there is no way they would miss out on that littler girl's can be Skywalkers too money.

MattyG

Banned
She is a clone of Shmi in an attempt to create another Anakin.
lzBje4b.gif

Kira was the "codename" for Rey during filming. Which has always been a weird point of contention, as I believe she's the only character in the film who had her codename actually printed on trailers and chairs and such. If I remember correctly, there were some people involved with the production who swore "Kira" was the character's actual name.

This was dismissed really early on in the spoiler/speculation game, and came back to life ever so briefly when spoilers made it look like she might be Luke's kid, at which point some were thinking (much like people are now thinking Finn's name isn't even really Finn, but the phonetic pronunciation of the first part of his Trooper callsign) that "Rey" is a pseudonym she believes is her real name as a means to hide her more convincingly.

Kira was the "codename" for Rey during filming. Which has always been a weird point of contention, as I believe she's the only character in the film who had her codename actually printed on trailers and chairs and such. If I remember correctly, there were some people involved with the production who swore "Kira" was the character's actual name.

This was dismissed really early on in the spoiler/speculation game, and came back to life ever so briefly when spoilers made it look like she might be Luke's kid, at which point some were thinking (much like people are now thinking Finn's name isn't even really Finn, but the phonetic pronunciation of the first part of his Trooper callsign) that "Rey" is a pseudonym she believes is her real name as a means to hide her more convincingly.

I suppose that's a possibility still, but I feel like Rey probably is her real name. If it isn't, I think it'll be amusing to see how they handle the true name revelation and how they refer to the character from there on out in the film.

It is interesting though that people involved in the production were confident that "Kira" is her real name.

EDIT: Mark Hamill visited a local pub over in Kerry, Ireland last night. Apparently they finish up filming the Skellig Michael scenes for Episode VIII either today or tomorrow.

Minor Spoilers for VIII:
Luke seems to have shaved the beard off in-between films or will shave it off early on in VIII.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/examvi...-the-force-to-pull-pints-in-kerry-354390.html

My apologies for the double post, but I am very curious to hear what you guys think of that little detail from the current filming for VIII on Skellig Michael.

Mark looks a lot younger here than he has in awhile and he was already getting himself in far better shape than he'd been in some time for TFA. Since it seems that Luke gives himself a shave early on in VIII, I'm guessing that Rey's arrival rejuvenates his spirits and morale. He looks considerably younger than he did in the leaked photo of Luke in TFA.

That's the sort of transformation you have when you meet your niece or a former random apprentice; that's the sort of physical reaction that's reserved for extremes. Being reunited with his lost daughter would definitely qualify, I think.

Or it could just be Rian Johnson wanting Luke to not have a beard in VIII.

He's on some Techno Viking shit in that first pic.

The idea that Luke will be back in action for 8 seems more than plausible. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Johnson got him back in the action somehow.

He and Rey can't spend the whole movie on that rock.

I really hope he keeps the beard until he dies

I'm pretty confident that he won't. He was spotted yesterday beardless and was confirmed to be doing one last day of filming on Skellig Michael earlier today with Daisy Ridley. So Luke's presumably going to ditch the beard early on in VIII.

He's on some Techno Viking shit in that first pic.

The idea that Luke will be back in action for 8 seems more than plausible. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Johnson got him back in the action somehow.

He and Rey can't spend the whole movie on that rock.

Oh, I think it's obvious that we'll see Luke back in action in VIII and maybe IX. I'm just surprised to see that the whole hermit angle that TFA presented seemingly ditched early on in VIII.

Like I said before, I'm guessing that he'll be a lot happier than he's been in a long time and rather rejuvenated if this is indeed a reaction to finally reuniting with his daughter, Rey. What do you think of that idea, Bobby?

Top Bottom