• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Doesn't help that outside of here, I still see a lot of folks linking to the (somewhat-outdated) MSW synopsis whenever someone asks what's what in TFA. It's a shame, because the Spoiler Board is soooo much better formatted, and is up-to-date to boot.

I do like that the Spoiler Board thingy acknowledges they're fucking shit up as they fuck it up. It's why those percentages are there. It's kinda slick.

Joeytj

Banned
*scrolls down to Starkiller base*

"Finn uses the blue saber for the first time"

lol

edit: also I'm gonna be upset if there isn't a snowspeeder chase in here with all these cool First Order vehicles

Ha, just noticed that. But yeah, the spoiler board right up-front says that nothing is locked-down and that is why the percentages are there.

But. I'm glad that there are definitely things not even the Spoiler Board gets right. I still want to be surprised in some ways.

Critics on twitter are celebrating their Star Wars premiere invites, if there wasn't any lingering doubts about that happening on Dec.14th. Wonder when the embargo is, tho.

kaiju

Check out the two glowing yellow eyes on the right hand side of this kid-sized t-shirt.

First glimpse of Snoke?

image-tsswtfafoarmykid-0-watermark.jpg

Kuros

Just to confirm, does all evidence point to Rey being Luke's daughter?

I don't think there is much "evidence" one way or another. The trailer with Luke's speech could be taken as a hint, but also could easily be taken as her being a Solo.

I don't think we'll necessarily find out in this film anyway.

Nodnol

Can I ask, what is everyone's opinions on the general plot of the film, IF the story board is correct? Are you happy with the narrative?

I know there's a lot that is still uncertain, particularly the final act, but the general plot seems pretty much certain now.

Personally, I like it. There's enough throw back, but I like the path they've created for the new guys, especially Finn and Rey. The fanservice seems solid....but potentially over the top to the point of awkwardness. It could quite easily come across as cheesy if its not handled well (I'm mainly refering to seeing a Wookie rip someone's arms off, and Han shooting first (the cheer for that would be immense, if handled properly)).

I guess that's the point really, isn't it? We know the broad strokes, but the delivery is what will make or break it. There's nothing in any of the leaks that makes me think "well, thats dumb".

I'm so fucking excited, despite the leaks and potentially spoilering all/most of the film.

FeD.nL

Can I ask, what is everyone's opinions on the general plot of the film, IF the story board is correct? Are you happy with the narrative?

I know there's a lot that is still uncertain, particularly the final act, but the general plot seems pretty much certain now.

Personally, I like it. There's enough throw back, but I like the path they've created for the new guys, especially Finn and Rey. The fanservice seems solid....but potentially over the top to the point of awkwardness. It could quite easily come across as cheesy if its not handled well (I'm mainly refering to seeing a Wookie rip someone's arms off, and Han shooting first (the cheer for that would be immense, if handled properly)).

I guess that's the point really, isn't it? We know the broad strokes, but the delivery is what will make or break it. There's nothing in any of the leaks that makes me think "well, thats dumb".

I'm so fucking excited, despite the leaks and potentially spoilering all/most of the film.

I like it. But the way the falcon is just there and how it seems they just bump into Han and Chewie is a little to close to the-thrown-off-the-Enterprise-onto-desolate-snow-planet-and-run-into-old-Spock moment from JJ's Star Trek.

But I hope they have a logical reason for these things happening.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm okay if the film is somewhat familiar in the major plot points. TPM was too and I don't think that was what made many hate on it. (FWIW I am not one of those people, and never was.)

My biggest hope for this film is that it has the right components to setup the next 10+ years of Star Wars as a franchise, because I know the film won't be bad but it needs to be more than somewhat entertaining. We need enough story threads and characters for books, comics, video games, future films, you name it. If they can get all those background details right then I'll know this is a true Star Wars film.

The OT had Boba Fett and the other bounty hunters like IG-88, Yoda, Jabba, Vader, the Sarlaac, Lobot, Hammerhead, so many background droids and aliens.

I don't feel like the PT was as successful in giving us those characters we are just dying to know more about. There was Darth Maul but many others such as Jango, Grievous, Dex from Dex's Diner (... terrible), Watto, Aurra Sing... they didn't inspire the same burning desire to follow their stories and know more about them. Willrow Hood alone is probably more interesting than most of them to me.

Nodnol

The thing is, in terms of similarities with the OT, the OT is extremely generic in its structure. If you break it down, it's like Storywriting 101, with a well worn formula at its heart.

Plenty of stories follow something similar, and I don't think having a new trilogy start that way necessarily be a bad thing. The ONLY thing I'd mention, would the locales. I can understand the structure of the characters and the story (an abandoned young protagonist, dreaming of something better (Rey and Luke) a lovable rogue type (Han, and whilst Finn isn't an archetypal rogue, his history allows a murkier character) and a strong believer in the cause of the protagonist's eventual faction (Leia and Poe). I'm so happy that Rey will be our lead though, because it changes enough up in this respect.

Why though, does Jakku look like Tatooine? Why is Takodan (sp?) reminiscent of Yavin? It gets a bit more strenuous when you try to mirror Hoth with Starkiller Base and whatever planet that is, because whilst they have snow, they are obviously different places. Jakku could be Tatooine and you wouldn't know the difference. It's Rey's situation that's thematic, not being in a desert. If you wanted her to be stuck on a desolate planet, but didn't want it to be Tatooine, why make it look exactly the same?

On to other bits, whilst I appreciate it will be emotional, even for those anticipating it, but Han's death should come as no surprise to anyone with a long term interest in the series. As soon as Ford was announced, I just assumed he wouldn't have done it without some sort of closure. I also think it makes sense to move the series beyond the OT cast, for obvious reasons.

My only concerns I think, are Maz and Snoke. They NEED to be handled well, especially Snoke. Still not sold on the name, but then Poe sounded silly at first so I'm sure it'll grow on me.

I do think Rey will be Luke's daughter, and rightly so because the series should continue to be about the Skywalker lineage, IMO.

I guess overall, it seems to be a story I'd want Star Wars to tell. I think that's going to be the key difference with the PT; nobody wanted trade disputes and politics. People want X-Wings, and Tie Fighters, and character growth, and weird yet believable aliens and characters that you want to believe in. A familiar formula driving the characters forwards, and a heart and warmth that captures people's emotions and imagination. What we've seen in the trailers, combined with the leaks, seems to tick all the boxes. I still think it'll be critically well received, and I think fans will love it too, but I think I'm handwaving some of the potential criticism by assuming everything will be as awesome as the trailer. I just pray there isn't a Jar-Jar character hidden away somewhere.

Kuros

I like it. But the way the falcon is just there and how it seems they just bump into Han and Chewie is a little to close to the-thrown-of-the-Enterprise-onto-desolate-snow-planet-and-run-into-old-Spock moment from JJ's Star Trek.

But I hope they have a logical reason for these things happening.

Agree with that. I would hope there is a reason for the Falcon being there other than co-incidence. It's one of those things that without the dialogue of the film being leaked a shotlist can't tell you.

MattyG

Banned
would have been my guess
unless the planet of starkiller base has an original name as well
I have a feeling Starkiller Base is what they call the trench/military part, but as a whole, it has a different name. Hosnian Prime sounds like somewhere an evil former Empire would build a space laser.

Moff

the starwars.com wiki says

Starkiller Base
An ice planet converted into a stronghold of the First Order
which makes it look like the planet is called starkiller base, but that doesn't make any sense, starkiller is obviously the name of the weapon the base is built around
unless the whole planet is a base similiar to the death star, on the poster it looks a bit like that

which makes it look like the planet is called starkiller base, but that doesn't make any sense, starkiller is obviously the name of the weapon the base is built around
unless the whole planet is a base similiar to the death star, on the poster it looks a bit like that

I think that's pretty much it.

In the last footage it looks like it's being activated/used.

Bryan pointed out on twitter that the star-map revealing the new planet names is missing Kamino still. Maybe he's hiding out there.

But I'm betting it's Hosnian Prime he's on. Starkiller Base has its own separate spot on the map, meaning whatever that planet used to be called, it's just Starkiller Base now.

Moff

I just realized the wiki says it was a planet that was converted to a base, so it's not a built space station like the death star and probably has an original name.
still, my guess is that it's luke's hideout, simply because I think they would have revealed the names of both planets otherwise.

Joeytj

Banned
Bryan pointed out on twitter that the star-map revealing the new planet names is missing Kamino still. Maybe he's hiding out there.

But I'm betting it's Hosnian Prime he's on. Starkiller Base has its own separate spot on the map, meaning whatever that planet used to be called, it's just Starkiller Base now.

Oh, what map?

Starkiller Base is traveling from a relatively unknown region of space. Hmm. I wonder where it's headed and how far it will travel in the movie.

Simo

Soundtrack track listing got out courtesy of Amazon France:
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B014V6JIQK/
1. Main Title and the Attack on the Jakku Village

2. The Scavenger

3. I Can Fly Anything

4. Rey Meets BB-8

5. Follow Me

6. Rey’s Theme

7. The Falcon

8. That Girl with the Staff

9. The Rathtars!

10. Finn’s Confession

11. Maz’s Counsel

12. The Starkiller

13. Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle

14. The Abduction

15. Han and Leia

16. March of the Resistance

17. Snoke

18. On the Inside

19. Torn Apart

20. The Ways of the Force

21. Scherzo for X-Wings

22. Farewell and the Trip

23. The Jedi Steps and Finale

Track listing posted on Amazon France:

2. The Scavenger
3. I Can Fly Anything
4. Rey Meets BB-8
5. Follow Me
6. Rey's Theme
7. The Falcon
9. The Rathtars!
10. Finn's Confession
11. Maz's Counsel
12. The Starkiller
14. The Abduction
15. Han and Leia
17. Snoke
18. On the Inside
19. Torn Apart
21. Scherzo for X-Wings

We're in deep now. No going back.

Hmm. March of the Resistance is going to be good. I can feel it. Jedi Steps might be quality as well. Yes, I am judging tracks by their names.

I am curious about "The Abduction". Trying to place it with what we already know.

Track listing posted on Amazon France:

2. The Scavenger
3. I Can Fly Anything
4. Rey Meets BB-8
5. Follow Me
6. Rey's Theme
7. The Falcon
9. The Rathtars!
10. Finn's Confession
11. Maz's Counsel
12. The Starkiller
14. The Abduction
15. Han and Leia
17. Snoke
18. On the Inside
19. Torn Apart
21. Scherzo for X-Wings

Looks like we're getting close to this motherfucker leaking, then.

No spoils, either. But if you've heard any of the bigger rumors, this does lend credence to them. Makes sharing the list sort of touchy considering the spoilerphobes' natural reaction.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So are he star systems just named after their habitable worlds? Or is Luke saying Yoda is in the Dagobah system just just an oddity line from OT?

Kuros

Forgot about that.

Hoth and Bespin being practically on top of each other makes sense since you can get from one to the other without hyperdrive.

Edit: I don't see Chandrila.

Millions of pages of the internet have waged war about how they managed that.

Top Bottom