• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Cheebo

Banned
Entirely possible that's all we get at the end. I'm hoping for some dialog at least, but the people expecting 5-10 minutes are setting themselves up for failure.
I don't see how dialogue is possible. We know it's the final scene, and Star Wars traditionally always has big final scenes with the music blasting and no characters saying a word. I can't see them changing this. Rey walking up those steps and then seeing Lukes face as he pulls back his hood straight into the credits just fits the previous films so perfectly in style.

Look at Obi-Wan handing over baby Luke to the Lars or the medal ceremony. Something like that just seems far more fitting. Where in reality they would be talking in this scene but since it Star Wars it is 100% music.

Kingbrave

I think it would be cool if she climbed the steps and we see the shot with him and R2.

With his back still turned to her we hear him repeat the force is strong in my family speech.

He slowly turns toward her and then lowers his hood and we see his face and then end credits.

Just a glimpse of him, a taste, of things to come. And to really piss people off after Han dies.

Cheebo

Banned
I think it would be cool if she climbed the steps and we see the shot with him and R2.

With his back still turned to her we hear him repeat the force is strong in my family speech.

He slowly turns toward her and then lowers his hood and we see his face and then end credits.

Just a glimpse of him, a taste, of things to come. And to really piss people off after Han dies.

We already know Artoo is with Leia and Threepio at the Resistance base, he isn't in hiding with Luke.

Tookay

Are they disappointed or something?
I'd say most of it comes from people who want to believe that Luke has a bigger presence in this movie.

Which I would have liked too but it isn't happening and it's time we accept that he'll play a bigger role in the next ones.

Some people don't want Han to die + Jason Ward can be a bit a chump at times.
Yeah I don't think Jason has done himself any favors with the way he rolled out some information. His speculation on some of the story beats was particularly horrible.

Cheebo

Banned
The Luke stuff is a huge reason I am so glad I spoiled myself. I honestly have no idea how i would react if I went in assuming Luke was going to have a major role and it was being kept hidden in the marketing (all the Luke = Kylo, Luke = Snoke....etc).

Knowing Luke very likely has no dialouge and screen time that amounts in seconds rather than minutes lets me go in and enjoy the film for what it is rather than experiencing any sort of gut punch of it not fanboy dream of what a Episode 7 would be.

Kingbrave

The Luke stuff is a huge reason I am so glad I spoiled myself. I honestly have no idea how i would react if I went in assuming Luke was going to have a major role and it was being kept hidden in the marketing (all the Luke = Kylo, Luke = Snoke....etc).

Knowing Luke very likely has no dialouge and screen time that amounts in seconds rather than minutes lets me go in and enjoy the film for what it is rather than experiencing any sort of gut punch of it not fanboy dream of what a Episode 7 would be.

Yeah, this is why I did it.

I needed to temper my expectations and hype. I let it get to me for Episode 1 and was so disappointed.

And it doesn't matter how good Episode VII is, people are going to be disappointed and I wanted to be able to judge the film for what it is and not what I thought it should be.

Edit: Damnit, hate being the first post on the new page.

I really like that Luke will hardly be in the movie and will say nothing. I like the focus on the new generation. I like using Han as a sort of Obi Wan for this one. And for some reason, I like that the three main classic characters won't have a scene together (Han and Leia feels right).

So Empire released a few details. Not sure if this would be better in its own thread or here. I also know that some of you may not like the source but i am a bit tired of MSW for some reason.

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2015...m-empires-new-issue-on-the-force-awakens.html

Anyway whats interesting is that Snoke didnt make the trailers which is totally fine, but he did say that he is crucial to why The Knights of Ren turned to the dark side. So my guess is Luke founded the Knights of Ren and Snoke turned them. I am sure more will be cleared up but I can only guess. Snoke perhaps worships Vader along with Kylo because he was the chosen one to bring balance. I am wondering what his age is. I doubt Luke trained him or he has any connection to Luke other than the fact that he turned the Knights of Ren.

We lack so much context about why there has been an Awakening, who Snoke is and where Luke has been hiding. MSW did a good job leaking many things but even at that there is stil so much stuff we lack knowledge of. Like ow did Rey get the Falcon.

Sorry just putting some thoughts down.

Before he started The Force Awakens, Abrams watched some movies. No, not those ones, Other ones. He looked at “the confidence” of John Ford Westerns. He took in the “unbelievable scene choreography and composition” of Kurosawa’s High and Low. And he studied “the powerful stillness” of Terrence Malick. “It’s not something I would normally have thought of coming to Star Wars,” he says. The spare visual style of Ford, Kurosawa and Malick points to a key mandate for Abrams’ approach to Episode VII: the distinctive less-is-more quality of the originals.

For Abrams the lightsaber battles in Episode 1 to 3 were “increasingly spectacular and stylised, almost like dance choreography”. So when he came to stage runaway stormtrooper Finn versus baddie Kylo Ren in a snowy forest, he went back to the source.

“When you look at Star Wars and Empire, they are very different lightsaber battles, but for me they felt more powerful because they were not quite as slick. I was hoping to go for something much more primitive, aggressive and rougher, a throwback to the kind of heart-stopping lightsaber fights I remembered being so enthralled by as a kid.”

always says all the right things

Timu

I've always liked the lightsaber battles in the original trilogy more as they felt more raw and intense than some of the flashy stuff of the prequels so that's great news. I'm guessing Finn vs Kylo Ren may be the finale of the movie what with Kylo Ren's mask off and such, I would be very, very surprised if it wasn't.

Peru

Malick should direct episode IX

I thought I recognized that pained poetry in Kylo's lines..

[Kylo Ren voiceover]: Where is it that we were together? Who were you that I lived with? The brother. The friend. Darkness, light. Strife and love. Are they the workings of one mind? The features of the same face? Let me be in you now. Look out through my eyes. Look out at the things you made. All things shining.. Oh, my soul. I will finish what you started..

[Rey voiceover]: Who are you whom I so faintly hear? Who urge me ever on? What voice is this that speaks within me... guides me towards the best? We shall make a new start. A fresh beginning. Here, away from JAKKU, the blessings of the earth are bestowed upon all. None need grow poor. Here there is good ground for all, and no cost but one's labor. We shall build a true common wealth, hard work and self reliance our virtues. We shall have no landlords to reack us with high rents or extort the fruit of our labor.

What's this war in the heart of the Force? Why does the Force vie with itself? The light contend with the dark? Is there an avenging power in nature? Not one power, but two?

Cheebo

Banned
I'm guessing Finn vs Kylo Ren may be the finale of the movie what with Kylo Ren's mask off and such, I would be very, very surprised if it wasn't.
There is no need to guess, we already know! The fight is indeed part of the final act, shortly after Kylo Ren kills Han Solo. It starts out Finn vs Kylo Ren and Kylo kicks Finns ass and Rey saves the day by taking up the saber and fights Kylo Ren.

You guys think they will hit on The Asteroid Field motif anywhere?

Actually one of my faves from the OT, and I think they only ever used it the one time (Unless it showed up again and I just didn't really notice/have the ear to tell).

I think that the scene where they escape in the Falcon might be the opportunity.

Kuros

So Empire released a few details. Not sure if this would be better in its own thread or here. I also know that some of you may not like the source but i am a bit tired of MSW for some reason.

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2015...m-empires-new-issue-on-the-force-awakens.html

Anyway whats interesting is that Snoke didnt make the trailers which is totally fine, but he did say that he is crucial to why The Knights of Ren turned to the dark side. So my guess is Luke founded the Knights of Ren and Snoke turned them. I am sure more will be cleared up but I can only guess. Snoke perhaps worships Vader along with Kylo because he was the chosen one to bring balance. I am wondering what his age is. I doubt Luke trained him or he has any connection to Luke other than the fact that he turned the Knights of Ren.

We lack so much context about why there has been an Awakening, who Snoke is and where Luke has been hiding. MSW did a good job leaking many things but even at that there is stil so much stuff we lack knowledge of. Like ow did Rey get the Falcon.

Sorry just putting some thoughts down.

Pegg confirmed that it's Hamill putting his hand on Artoo in the trailer.

So its not some dude playing a younger Luke.

Timu

There is no need to guess, we already know! The fight is indeed part of the final act, shortly after Kylo Ren kills Han Solo. It starts out Finn vs Kylo Ren and Kylo kicks Finns ass and Rey saves the day by taking up the saber and fights Kylo Ren.
If that happens I would be speechless!!!

Timu

How does Rey have enough training to beat Kylo Ren?

The fight is interrupted in some fashion.

The synopsis says that Kylo may even be trying to not kill her before it's interrupted, but I'm not sure if that's just conjure or not.

It's why I don't get the hoopla over Finn losing. Ren would have merced Rey as well if not for Chewie...:p

I think it's going to be more about her finally accepting her heritage and force powers, and less about her being some excellent saber fighter.

The amount of salt that's going to happen after this.

There's already so much salt on certain SW fansites. All that "Finn is incompetent!" MSW talk got them in a mood. Now he's losing lightsaber duels and useless to help Rey in the bar and taking Ls to Stromtroopers and yadda yadda. Meanwhile Rey can fight and fly the Falcon and reverses Kylo interrogation and escapes on her own and gets The Force and picks up the saber at the end then goes off to be a Jedi. Lotta "Mary Sue" name calling going on right now from the Finn camp.

Oh it's this topic again. Really makes me sad.

Yep.

I hate the fact that there's "camps" on this.

Why can't we be happy that we got a both a brother and a woman with prominent, starring roles in the next trilogy of the biggest movie franchises of all time?

Instead of wasting our time pitting them against one another.

MattyG

Banned
There's already so much salt on certain SW fansites. All that "Finn is incompetent!" MSW talk got them in a mood. Now he's losing lightsaber duels and useless to help Rey in the bar and taking Ls to Stromtroopers and yadda yadda. Meanwhile Rey can fight and fly the Falcon and reverses Kylo interrogation and escapes on her own and gets The Force and picks up the saber at the end then goes off to be a Jedi. Lotta "Mary Sue" name calling going on right now from the Finn camp.
Why the fuck is this even an issue? If it was the other way around, with Rey being beaten and Finn doing all that stuff, would we still have the same people pissed off?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

It's only going to get worse I feel. Disney should start pushing Rey more in the marketing.

I don't get how people are surprised that folks don't like the fact that the first black prominent character in the franchise is being spectulated as completely incompentant.

That's not a good look. I don't think that will actually be the case in the movie itself, but still.

If I had my way they'd both be jedis.

The character was written to be white (look at the concept art). It just happens the best actor for the job was black. They're not going to change his entire arc because of his race.

Rootbeer

Banned
The character was written to be white (look at the concept art). It just happens the best actor for the job was black. They're not going to change his entire arc because of his race.
I agree with you.

JJ really loved Attack the Block and met Boyega near the time it came out and commented he'd love to cast him in something. Fast Forward to JJ getting the Star Wars gig, Boyega campaigned hard for that shit and went through a grueling auditioning process to get the part. I'd be curious to learn who some of the other frontrunners were, personally. Partly because I'd like to know how many of the others were black, it might give us a clearer idea of how determined Disney was to cast a black person in the role or if it really was just "the best person for the job"

We have heard the comments about Kathleen Kennedy's stance on getting more women into big Star Wars roles, which seems to be part of a larger effort to make Star Wars more diverse overall.

I agree with you.

JJ really loved Attack the Block and met Boyega near the time it came out and commented he'd love to cast him in something. Fast Forward to JJ getting the Star Wars gig, Boyega campaigned hard for that shit and went through a grueling auditioning process to get the part. I'd be curious to learn who some of the other frontrunners were, personally. Partly because I'd like to know how many of the others were black, it might give us a clearer idea of how determined Disney was to cast a black person in the role or if it really was just "the best person for the job"

We have heard the comments about Kathleen Kennedy's stance on getting more women into big Star Wars roles, which seems to be part of a larger effort to make Star Wars more diverse overall.

I'm pretty sure it was mostly white guys. We had a thread on the short list.

chaislip3

Honestly, I'd be pretty surprised if Finn isn't a Jedi by Episode VIII. Like, we start VIII with Rey finishing her training with Luke, they fly back to the Resistance Base and BOOM, Maz has trained Finn.

I don't know, it'd just be weird for him to be swinging the lightsaber around for a good portion of VII and then he's just using a blaster for the rest of the trilogy (and probably X-XII).

Top Bottom