• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Rootbeer

Banned
It had that loser guy from Breaking Bad season 5, I think.

BADGER!

call-saul-badger1.gif

I'm assuming you mean Jesse though

Honestly, I'd be pretty surprised if Finn isn't a Jedi by Episode VIII. Like, we start VIII with Rey finishing her training with Luke, they fly back to the Resistance Base and BOOM, Maz has trained Finn.

I don't know, it'd just be weird for him to be swinging the lightsaber around for a good portion of VII and then he's just using a blaster for the rest of the trilogy (and probably X-XII).

Or they could be showing that anyone can use a saber but only a Jedi can master it.

chaislip3

Or they could be showing that anyone can use a saber but only a Jedi can master it.

Yeah, that's a good point. I guess we'll just have to wait until 2017 to find out (or if MSW gets the shooting script beforehand).

By the way, the buildup to VIII won't be as secretive as TFA, right? I don't know how Rian Johnson treats spoilers and info, but he can't be as bad as JJ is with that stuff.

Nodnol

I think Rey picking up the lightsaber after Finn gets his ass beaten by Kylo is the whole point of the force awakening.

In my head, I've already imagined that moment.

Part anger, part fear, but just an overwhelming rush of emotion and a sense to fight for what's right, and it's not like she even knows how to or means to grab the lightsaber, but something in her force-pulls it into her hand. I'm fully expecting that moment to be the "fuck yeah!!!" moment of the film.

Still not convinced Finn will be force sensitive; what do we have to suggest that, at all? It's not like you have to be a Jedi to swing a lightsaber around.

I don't understand the incompetent criticism; where exactly is he incompetent? He gets bested by someone who knows what they're doing, but ultimately it seems Finn's arc is as much about doing what's right and being at peace with one's self as Rey's is.

antonz

It's only going to get worse I feel. Disney should start pushing Rey more in the marketing.

Yeah I think they have made a big mistake pushing Finn as much as they have at least in the oh look lightsaber direction of advertising. If he doesn't become a jedi in 8 or 9 the backlash is going to be so massive. I expect a large wave of backlash anyways after 7 is out.

Yeah I think they have made a big mistake pushing Finn as much as they have at least in the oh look lightsaber direction of advertising. If he doesn't become a jedi in 8 or 9 the backlash is going to be so massive. I expect a large wave of backlash anyways after 7 is out.

I honestly disagree. I think it's classic misdirection and if the audience likes Rey as much as they're banking on it, it's gonna work wonderfully.

Edit: Nodnol summed it up perfectly. If the Force theme plays when Finn is near death and the lightsaber flies to her hand and she holds her own against Kylo? That's going to be AWESOME, especially if she's denying her force sensitivity the entire film.

Rey ain't gonna be a Jedi at the end of this movie either, though.

She gets to visit Luke but that doesn't mean she might not fuck it up in Episode 8 while Finn makes moves across the galaxy.

People acting like Episode 7 is the only Star Wars movie we're getting. It's part of that old mentality regarding these movies where each one is a rare, beautiful butterfly that must be treasured because we never know if we're going to get another.

Nah. There's one of these a year comin every year till we fucking die. It ain't that precious. And there's plenty of time to flesh these stories out beyond the initial chapter we're getting in 3 weeks.

The hope is that it's so entertaining as a film that we won't be worried about checking these bullshit scoreboards for quite awhile anyway.

I hope they never reboot and we just get a continued story forever. True saga shit.

I think that is more likely for the forseeable future.

I don't see them trying to reboot this for a very, very long time.

Also, I kind of hope X-XII take a huge jump in time. Or significant enough.

And yeah, true saga shit. New generation of Skywalkers. The most important family in the galaxy.

MattyG

Banned
I hope they never reboot and we just get a continued story forever. True saga shit.
I don't think we'll ever see a reboot, at least not for a REALLY long time. The backlash over the old-EU was pretty big, can you imagine what it'd be like for the whole series? At most they'd do a huge time jump and start fresh with all new characters, and even that I can't see happening.

Nah, they'll reboot. Freshen up the brand. Plus then they get to completely sidestep Fox if they want.

Unless they manage to completely buy the distribution from them on Star Wars 77.

I mean, they likely will reboot it eventually, but I'm betting they'll go ahead an at least do X-XII before that. But I don't see a reboot for a truly long time.

I want to be like 100 years old with my great grand kids standing in line waiting for the next Star Wars film starring the great great grand children of Luke Skywalker. And the first dude to bust out a lightsaber during the screening is getting called a fucking nerd by my old ass.

You'll be dead by then Bobby. Sorry for you dying in my future fantasy.

Yep.

I hate the fact that there's "camps" on this.

Why can't we be happy that we got a both a brother and a woman with prominent, starring roles in the next trilogy of the biggest movie franchises of all time?

Instead of wasting our time pitting them against one another.
It's nice to see at least one other person write this up. Couldn't agree more.

Finn is already seeing a lot of growth in this film alone, more than most anyone in A New Hope. This is only the first of many more films, his character is only going to continue to grow. He's gonna be awesome.

All of this while we see Rey's journey, a strong heroine for kids to look up to. It's great.

It's nice to see at least one other person write this up. Couldn't agree more.

Finn is already seeing a lot of growth in this film alone, more than most anyone in A New Hope. This is only the first of many more films, his character is only going to continue to grow. He's gonna be awesome.

All of this while we see Rey's journey, a strong heroine for kids to look up to. It's great.

Only dumb dumbs would be on "camps" about this.

FeD.nL

I really like that Luke will hardly be in the movie and will say nothing. I like the focus on the new generation. I like using Han as a sort of Obi Wan for this one. And for some reason, I like that the three main classic characters won't have a scene together (Han and Leia feels right).

Huh, where did the Luke doesn't have lines come from? Is it confirmed? I really can't imagine JJ not giving Luke something to say. I mean the guy is basically living the dream of directing those characters, and I can't imagine him passing on the opportunity to give Luke some lines at the end.

Tookay

Huh, where did the Luke doesn't have lines come from? Is it confirmed? I really can't imagine JJ not giving Luke something to say. I mean the guy is basically living the dream of directing those characters, and I can't imagine him passing on the opportunity to give Luke some lines at the end.

The ending of the movie has Rey ascending the steps of Luke's hideout and delivering the lightsaber to Luke.

Traditionally, the final minutes of Star Wars films are completely wordless.

Ergo, he probably doesn't talk.

FeD.nL

The ending of the movie has Rey ascending the steps of Luke's hideout and delivering the lightsaber to Luke.

Traditionally, the final minutes of Star Wars films are completely wordless.

Ergo, he probably doesn't talk.

Yeah well that's the ending. But, and I think the spoiler board mentions it too, I imagine R2 decoding the message and Luke will appear as a hologram to Leia and Rey and the rest to reveal his location. Would be a nice callback to ANH etc. I just cannot imagine JJ giving absolutely no lines to Luke.

Yeah well that's the ending. But, and I think the spoiler board mentions it too, I imagine R2 decoding the message and Luke will appear as a hologram to Leia and Rey and the rest to reveal his location. Would be a nice callback to ANH etc. I just cannot imagine JJ giving absolutely no lines to Luke.

There's no evidence of that. It's just speculation and hatched from people who hate the idea of Luke not really being in this movie.

That Spoilerboard basically takes the MSW information and puts their own stuff with it to make it sound more palpable to the "MSW is wrong!" crowd. At one point he had a completely fake third act in it that was nothing but Luke and he had to remove it.

FeD.nL

There's no evidence of that. It's just speculation and hatched from people who hate the idea of Luke not really being in this movie.

That Spoilerboard basically takes the MSW information and puts their own stuff with it to make it sound more palpable to the "MSW is wrong!" crowd. At one point he had a completely fake third act in it that was nothing but Luke and he had to remove it.

But Luke having no dialogue is also just speculation, right? I mean that's basically my question, the track list was revealed and now people assume Luke won't have lines? Because the way some posts have been written here made it seem it was confirmed.

But Luke having no dialogue is also just speculation, right? I mean that's basically my question, the track list was revealed and now people assume Luke won't have lines? Because the way some posts have been written here made it seem it was confirmed.

We already knew that Luke would only have one scene at the end based off prior leaks.

The idea that he has no dialogue comes from the fact that all of the other ending scenes in the six movies so far were dialogueless. For all the harking back to the original movies that JJ seems to have done with TFA, that ending scene trope seems like a strange one to not echo as well.

MegalonJJ

Banned
From the footage, Kylo Ren looks like he knows how to use his lightsabre.

Comparatively, how will either Rey or Finn be a remote challenge for him?

Surely Luke will come to save them?

El Topo

This is the rumor/spoiler thread. Are you sure you want to know the answer? I thought the whole battle scene was pretty much known, no?

El Topo

Sorry. I've occasionally wandered into the wrong thread, happened with JJ, so I just wanted to make sure.

Either way, I thought consensus so far was that they don't really beat Kylo. I think the speculation in the spoilerboard was that he refuses to kill Rey and then just...falls down some precipice?

FeD.nL

We already knew that Luke would only have one scene at the end based off prior leaks.

The idea that he has no dialogue comes from the fact that all of the other ending scenes in the six movies so far were dialogueless. For all the harking back to the original movies that JJ seems to have done with TFA, that ending scene trope seems like a strange one to not echo as well.

Except he's shown with R2 in the second trailer, so that's more than one scene if he also shows up at the end. Like it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't speak at the end, but with the flashback scene that's 100% in, Mark Hamill coming in to re-record old lines for the second trailer (might be related) I think Luke is gonna have at least a line in the film.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I don't think we'll ever see a reboot, at least not for a REALLY long time. The backlash over the old-EU was pretty big, can you imagine what it'd be like for the whole series? At most they'd do a huge time jump and start fresh with all new characters, and even that I can't see happening.

I'm still salty.

But it's okay.

ryan299

Honestly I think a lot of the older fans are going to dislike this movie bc of the lack of of Luke and Han's ending. The original cast needs to be together and it seems, at this point, that they have no scenes together which is beyond stupid to me.

Whether fans like or dislike the movie is going to come down to whether the movie is well constructed and succeeds at telling the story it's trying to tell.

Anyone who dislikes the movie because their preferred character of choice doesn't play much of a role, or turns out not to live forever, isn't really watching the movie at that point. They're watching a scoreboard.

Whether fans like or dislike the movie is going to come down to whether the movie is well constructed and succeeds at telling the story it's trying to tell.

Anyone who dislikes the movie because their preferred character of choice doesn't play much of a role, or turns out not to live forever, isn't really watching the movie at that point. They're watching a scoreboard.

Absolutely. What matters is whether it's good or not, not what happens in it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

My problem with what we know so far is they seem to be following A New Hope's formula way too much. Doesn't seem to be so original, which I guess is expected.

My problem with what we know so far is they seem to be following A New Hope's formula way too much

It's not really A New Hope's formula, though. That formula is old as storytelling itself (which is why it worked so well in 77 when the most advanced SFX of that day were dropped on it).

Plus, the structure of the thing is Star Wars-ish, but it's also Empire and Jedi-ish. It's basically compressing the basic arc of the entire Original Trilogy into one film.

I don't mind plotting similarities, honestly. Plot's just there to get the characters to become the people they need to be. But the twists on convention need to be executed well. If these characters don't feel real, if the acting is flat, then the plotting is going to actively hurt the film as people start disengaging and looking at the exposed skeleton of the film not supporting the weight of the disappointment.

My problem with what we know so far is they seem to be following A New Hope's formula way too much. Doesn't seem to be so original, which I guess is expected.

Movies do that all the time though. I don't see it as a problem. To me it's all about how it's executed. If a movie is good enough, it will not make you think so much about it not being "original", unless you just want to focus on that.

And yeah, it's not really A New Hope formula.

bengraven

I think it's just set up, since it's been 30 years since we've been in this story.

I think from the end of this on the story will diverge from the tropes greatly.

I think from the end of this on the story will diverge from the tropes greatly.

I think it'll become definitely its own thing in its own way, yeah. But no way it abandons all the trappings of Star Wars storytelling, which is VERY heavily indebted to (and reliant on) very familiar building blocks of mythology.

I hate the term "tropes" due to the way it's been misused over the years, but Star Wars movies are a damn trope greenhouse. It's one of the keys to the series' universality.

The current state of Geonosis was seen during the Vader comic. There are still ruins and wreckage from the war, and the planet itself is also littered with the dried out husks of Geonosians, as the Empire completely sterilized the planet. As far as we know, there is only one queen left and she is unable to conceive.

Oh, interesting. Is that series worth reading, only bought a few Leia issues.

on the subject of PT planets I really wouldn't mind seeing Naboo again in the new trilogy or spinoffs.
I actually find it a really interesting planet.(Government, ecosystem , etc)

Coruscant im expecting somewhere in the next 6 movies.

Hatchtag

Banned
At this point I think if this movie's good is going to depend on if the characters are good. We know the plot, its nothing special. It seems well shot and the score will be great. But we don't really know if the characters are good yet.

Tookay

I think there's no way they go and spoil Luke's appearance via a hologram 3-4 minutes before they show him in the flesh. They've made you wait so long already - at that point, you can wait a little longer. Besides, it'll be more poignant that they end the film on his first appearance, not his second.

The names of the characters are kind of weird. Do we know Rey or Finn's full name?

Both of their full names are purposefully being kept hidden.

Rey is likely Rey Skywalker. There is a slight, slight chance that she is not Luke's biological daughter but everything seems to be pointing that way.

Some have speculated that 'Finn' is not Finn's real name, but a nickname based off of his Stormtrooper number (FN-2187). TBH there has been less speculation about his family history, but he may have been adopted/stolen/enlisted into the First Order at a very early age, and therefore may not know his relatives. If this is true, he may possibly not even have a "real name". Regardless, he clearly calls himself that (Trailers), so that's what he's going to be known as throughout these movies.

FWIW, I personally don't think the names are weird myself. They seem "Star-warsy" enough *shrug* .

Yeah. Ok. I guess the names aren't bad. I like names like Qui Gon Jinn and Obi Wan Kenobi too.

Didn't realize Rey was likely a Skywalker...

Really pumped for this movie! The villain looks pretty cool too.

Top Bottom