• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

The bottom image design is super evocative of McQuarrie's very white, sterile (in a good way) art direction. In addition to that structure that was spotted that was directly lifted from McQuarrie art, I think the idea here is to literally ape that aesthetic, and I am totally fucking fine with that.

MisterHero

There the prop at the science of star wars exhibition that showed the internal workings of Luke's hand it doesn't look that:
7891823514_e1d59b827b.jpg

Maybe it's changed in design though if it is his hand.
Dumb question but isn't that from Return of the Jedi?

From aintitcool a few months ago before it was swiftly removed. Plot synopsis, spoilers obviously:

As remnants of the Empire still threaten Galactic peace, Han and Leia Solo along with their daughter and Chewbacca go on a desperate search for their old friend, Luke Skywalker. Along the way, they meet a space pirate who knows more than he let's on, a boy whose affinity to the force reminds them of the past and new enemies that want to destroy the only hope the galaxy has left.

I wanted to make a thread on this weeks ago but I obviously still can't :(

jett

D-Member
From aintitcool a few months ago before it was swiftly removed (spoilers obviously):

As remnants of the Empire still threaten Galactic peace, Han and Leia Solo along with their daughter and Chewbacca go on a desperate search for their old friend, Luke Skywalker. Along the way, they meet a space pirate who knows more than he let's on, a boy whose affinity to the force reminds them of the past and new enemies that want to destroy the only hope the galaxy has left.

Deciding that two "barely there" pensioners should star in this movie will turn out to be a mistake.

Chuckie

Eh, well the hand first appeared at the end of Empire. That card should really say "Empire & Return".

Luke's robotical hand wasn't damaged in Empire, he just got it in the end of the movie

I guess... if it's really the same one in both. Call me suprised that the hand in Empire was fake!

It's not the same in both. This is the one from Empire (and I think it is actually his real hand and just the wrist area is fake.

2jepiya.jpg

I don't think that actually appeared in any of the films! At the end of Empire, you just see an exposed mechanical wrist area and in Return you see the same area but this time it was exposed due to a blaster shot.

Yeah it didn't appear. His hand does get shot in Jedi, but its just a scratch. The prop was meant for ROTJ though, some concept art seems to show that it was supposed to be there. So maybe they already made it...and decided against it.

hand005.jpg

So it was indeed in neither of the movies, but the prop belongs to Jedi, not Empire.

Guy.brush

So the Empire still got the moniez to redesign the trooper helmets after "their defeat" at Endor?

Looks like Luke and Leia didn't achieve shit in Episode VI.

A_Gorilla

Banned
So the Empire still got the moniez to redesign the trooper helmets after "their defeat" at Endor?

Looks like Luke and Leia didn't achieve shit in Episode VI.

Meh, more realistic. Even with the death of the Emperor, Vader, and a lot of the top ranking Admirals, a government body as large as the Galactic Empire would not just collapse overnight. Much like the Roman Empire when stuff like that happened. there would be chaos for a couple days (not to mention massive infighting and assassinations) until a new warlord rose up and appointed himself emperor.

Aiii

So not worth it
Meh, more realistic. Even with the death of the Emperor, Vader, and a lot of the top ranking Admirals, a government body as large as the Galactic Empire would not just collapse overnight. Much like the Roman Empire when stuff like that happened. there would be chaos for a couple days (not to mention massive infighting and assassinations) until a new warlord rose up and appointed himself emperor.

This.

Aside from this, more speaking about reality here, we're now in 2014, of course they're gonna take advantage of the difference in times and how much sleeker we can make things nowadays compared to back then. It's okay for everything to be updated graphically without taking me out of the experience. It's one of the things I loved about the Star Trek reboot, it looked the original show, but it looked like the original show as it would have been done if it had the budget and techniques available to us in 2010. It's okay for the helmets and suits to be more detailed and better shaped now that we have the ability to make them like that. It's fine.

So I guess all the Stormtroopers did not magically disappear at the end of Episode 6

well in the span of time from ep.I-ep.VI, the Separatists/Republic/Empire went from using droids to clones to volunteers. the droid factories were destroyed by the end of ep.III, then Vader hit the kill-switch on the rest of the remaining droid army. after that the Empire struggled keeping the clone genetics from deteriorating and so clones slowly faded out after a few generation. subsequently the Empire started recruiting mainly humans from the galaxy to fight for the Empire, which is why the storm troopers dont have an aussie accent nor the exact same build. so im guessing in ep.VII there is a sufficient number of systems and parties besides the Empire themselves still keeping the Empire's reign going. the redesign of troopers gear would make sense since its 30 years since ep.VI.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This "updated" Empire surviving on into the future is so much more interesting than that New Republic stuff in the EU. Love that helmet.

Mistel

Banned
The new helmets are nice shame there's not rebreathers on both sides so they're truly symmetrical. Other than that they're nice.
Dumb question but isn't that from Return of the Jedi?
Yeah it was labelled wrong at the exhibit it was a prop they made for ROTJ but never used it in the film. It's a nice little reference piece though.

Looks better in reality than the concept render.

The black is more prominent.

Still a big change but it has been 30 years, it makes more sense than the leap they made with the clones designs. Although it make me wonder how powerful the remnant Empire actually is. To be able to update their troopers, they must still have bank and influence...

MattyG

Banned
I guess... if it's really the same one in both. Call me suprised that the hand in Empire was fake!
Oh yeah, I see what you mean now. I was thinking that Luke's hand was replaced in Empire, so his robotic hand was it it. But you're right, they didnt use this prop. Yeah, that's definitely been mislabeled or something.

OnPoint

Looks better in reality than the concept render.

The black is more prominent.

Still a big change but it has been 30 years, it makes more sense than the leap they made with the clones designs. Although it make me wonder how powerful the remnant Empire actually is. To be able to update their troopers, they must still have bank and influence...

I guess I never thought too much about the Empire after the events of Ep VI (was never real into the Extended Universe), but I don't think killing the Emperor would amount to the same as cutting the head off a snake. I would imagine a succession plan was in place. Their reach was probably too far reaching and influential to have the entire Empire just crumble because the Death Star II went down.

Nicktendo86

That new helmet looks bloody great! Pretty sure as well that is meant to be Luke's hand minus the skin, I remember posting here I have an image in my head of the robot hand falling through space, going trough the atmosphere and the akin burning off leaving just the robot hand. That is exactly how I picture it to look in my head. Probably just a troll on the rumour though :/

adj_noun

I guess I never thought too much about the Empire after the events of Ep VI (was never real into the Extended Universe), but I don't think killing the Emperor would amount to the same as cutting the head off a snake. I would imagine a succession plan was in place. Their reach was probably too far reaching and influential to have the entire Empire just crumble because the Death Star II went down.

Even if there's no succession plan the Empire's military might doesn't vanish along with a single battle station. Heck, all those Star Destroyers at the Battle of Endor are never accounted for on screen.

See: Robot Chicken

The attributions in here are off. These images are coming from IndieRevolver, which is a site I'd never heard of before, but has impressed the shit out of me with a nice combination of 1) speed 2) accuracy and 3) straightforwardness. None of the bullshit. They get the info, they get it out the door, they don't preface their info with paragraph after paragraph of preening, posing schtick and self-importance.

I dig it.

The designs are cool, too.

MisterHero

Han looks like that dude from Firefly

That's what I thought? I thought it was from the scene when he gets shot on Jabba's barge...
Oh yeah that could be... I'm pretty sure he got hit in the back of his hand though. Unless it was damaged on both sides and the movie didn't show it.

Thanks to the above responses, I'm going with that it was unused.

aparisi2274

Han looks like that dude from Firefly

Oh yeah that could be... I'm pretty sure he got hit in the back of his hand though. Unless it was damaged on both sides and the movie didn't show it.

Thanks to the above responses, I'm going with that it was unused.

Well, to me, that looks like the exit wound, since the skin seems to be folded outward... so it might be from Jedi, but from a view we did not see.

sphagnum

Banned
New stormtroopers are pretty cool but I think the Episode III Clonetroopers still look the best. The second Han picture looks straight out of Hoth.

Top Bottom