• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Ugh.

A flashback? Can't they just show a holocron recording or something? Flashbacks have never been seen in Star Wars, it's very out of place.

We don't yet know it won't be.

Dave Filoni pretty much confirmed that
Vader would have been using Inquisitors to help hunt down Jedi after Episode 3.
That article basically just takes information we already know about SW: Rebels and extends it to Ep. VII.

I'm happy with the concept myself, vader & palpatine doing the job themselves always seemed rather far-fetched. Even Zahn said there were other Dark Jedi helping out in the Thrawn trilogy.

Abounder

Banned
Never thought I'd see Star Wars take inspiration from Warhammer

Inquisitors in a force vision...Hopefully it's not some clunky exposition ala Star Trek. Star Wars is much better when the Force is more mystical than having to explain it more (midichlorians, rule of 2, prequels, etc).

Should still be a lot of fun though just like Star Trek

A younger version of Princess Leia strikes me as very disorienting.

She was already so young in ANH and we've had her face burned into our memories for over 30 years.

MisterHero

A younger version of Princess Leia strikes me as very disorienting.

She was already so young in ANH and we've had her face burned into our memories for over 30 years.

That's okay, they'll reveal she's not Luke's sister. She's Bail Organa's biological daughter named after Leia who was assassinated in her infancy.

Bam, Leia's not a Force adept

Can we deduce that Jimmy Smits will have a cameo?
:p

sphagnum

Banned
Here's the trooper progression.

z5IS0qk.jpg

Flashbacks in a Star Wars movie?... I don't know about this.

I don't know about this whole deal with
Luke's Light saber just falling out of the sky.
That part doesn't sound promising.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So Ben was just that well-hidden, if the Inquisitors never found him? Besides the obvious fact that they never existed till now? They don't seem that effective already. I guess Sydow is the voice of the main Inquisitor then.

I love how even in costume design art, Harrison Ford still has that "why am I here?" look.

OldRoutes

So Ben was just that well-hidden, if the Inquisitors never found him? Besides the obvious fact that they never existed till now? They don't seem that effective already. I guess Sydow is the voice of the main Inquisitor then.

I love how even in costume design art, Harrison Ford still has that "why am I here?" look.

Who knows, maybe Ben fought them off many times. Yoda was also really well hidden. I don't think it's that far fetched.

well he did live in a cave in a desert on a horrible planet in the outer rim.

Couldn't have hidden much better then that (apart from not telling people his surname was KENOBI, but I doubt moisture ranchers write much down that gets transmitted offworld)

Rootbeer

Banned
Love the Han sketches. Love the new helmets. Love that they are tying things in with Rebels so well--they weren't kidding about having that story team working on keeping things all coherent and in canon, Hu?

Course, still not fully sold on the plot... Luke captured ALL this time? Sure hope that is a flawed detail.

Tookay

Who knows, maybe Ben fought them off many times. Yoda was also really well hidden. I don't think it's that far fetched.

I imagine that'll be the plot to a spin-off film honestly.

Anyway, I don't know how to feel about this news. Parts of it sound fine, but a
midway plot dump is an annoying Abrams crutch at this point.

Mistel

Banned
well he did live in a cave in a desert on a horrible planet in the outer rim.

Couldn't have hidden much better then that (apart from not telling people his surname was KENOBI, but I doubt moisture ranchers write much down that gets transmitted offworld)
That's the point of hiding there Obi wan was out the way and could of probably protected Luke if needs be.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm sure there must have been flashbacks, dream sequences or the like in the old serials Star Wars was originally inspired by, right?

I don't think it will feel out of place, they just have to incorporate it in a way that feels true to the serial style.

That's the point of hiding there Obi wan was out the way and could of probably protected Luke if needs be.

I mean the bigger issue here is that Luke had applied to the imperial navy so they had the name LUKE SKYWALKER in their system, and yet Vader didn't seek him out.

Obviously this is because Lucas hadn't thought up Vader being Luke's father yet, but in retrospect it looks pretty silly.

MisterHero

I'm sure there must have been flashbacks, dream sequences or the like in the old serials Star Wars was originally inspired by, right?

I don't think it will feel out of place, they just have to incorporate it in a way that feels true to the serial style.
Anakin had force visions in Episode III. They're like flashbacks except present- and future-tense. it really stuck out imo

Tookay

Anakin had force visions in Episode III. They're like flashbacks except present- and future-tense. it really stuck out imo

I'll be honest: those scenes felt out-of-place back then too.

... mostly due to the fact that they were added in reshoots. Anakin's original motivation for turning to the dark side was that he was actually convinced the Jedi were wrong and trying to take over.

That didn't play so well to Lucas' first screening buddies (Coppolla and Spielberg), so he changed Anakin's motivation to saving Padme and then he filmed a bunch of extra scenes to reframe the context of the movie.

Nicktendo86

I mean the bigger issue here is that Luke had applied to the imperial navy so they had the name LUKE SKYWALKER in their system, and yet Vader didn't seek him out.

Obviously this is because Lucas hadn't thought up Vader being Luke's father yet, but in retrospect it looks pretty silly.
Did he? He said to obi wan though that he hated the empire, why would he try to join it? I always thought the academy was for the rebellion or something else?

Woorloog

Banned

I think Lucas once commented that Skywalker was quite common name in the galaxy.
Trillions of humans... name alone doesn't tell much.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Did he? He said to obi wan though that he hated the empire, why would he try to join it? I always thought the academy was for the rebellion or something else?

It always sounded like the imperial academy. But Luke also wanted to get away feom Tatooine as soon as possible, so maybe he just wanted go away.

On the point with the database - It isnt like the Empire recruited their Stormtroopers froom a Country, they recruited from a whole galaxy. Also, Tatooine is comperable to a third-world nation, I doubt they keep track off all people living there.

Also, why would Vader search for his son? He didnt even know he existed.

Mistel

Banned

In restropect it does look a bit silly. But I assume that there was not just Luke with that surname in the whole imperial system. Let alone the galaxy itself.

Nicktendo86

It always sounded like the imperial academy. But Luke also wanted to get away feom Tatooine as soon as possible, so maybe he just wanted go away.

On the point with the database - It isnt like the Empire recruited their Stormtroopers froom a Country, they recruited from a whole galaxy. Also, Tatooine is comperable to a third-world nation, I doubt they keep track off all people living there.

Also, why would Vader search for his son? He didnt even know he existed.
He lamented that his friend Biggs went off to the academy, who ended up in the rebellion, somi always thought it was connected. Funny I've never even thought that he wanted to join the imperial navy lol

It's made absolutely clear in the cut biggs scene (think it survived in the book) that it's the empire. He left because it's a podunk planet and he wanted off by any means.

I think Lucas honce commented that Skywalker was quite common name in the galaxy.
Trillions of humans... name alone doesn't tell much.

Lol, dude really didn't give a shit.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
He lamented that his friend Biggs went off to the academy, who ended up in the rebellion, somi always thought it was connected. Funny I've never even thought that he wanted to join the imperial navy lol

Maybe it was a hoax set up by Biggs as a cover - To be honest, I am not sure if I would tell my friends hat I join the rebellion when there were a fasisct galactic empire around.

Is there some EU-stuff on this whole thing with Biggs Darklighter?

Mistel

Banned
Is there some EU-stuff on this whole thing with Biggs Darklighter?
There's star wars empire darklighter that tells the past of him. It has him get into the imperial academy and become an imperial officer. Then there's the mutiny about the ship he's an officer on and he joins the rebellion.

MisterHero

I'll be honest: those scenes felt out-of-place back then too.

... mostly due to the fact that they were added in reshoots. Anakin's original motivation for turning to the dark side was that he was actually convinced the Jedi were wrong and trying to take over.

That didn't play so well to Lucas' first screening buddies (Coppolla and Spielberg), so he changed Anakin's motivation to saving Padme and then he filmed a bunch of extra scenes to reframe the context of the movie.
That makes sense. Though I can't imagine that the original cut had much more substance, unfortunately.

Still don't get how droids aren't superior to human soldiers. Those
inferno troopers for example,
how could a human be in any way advantageous to a droid for that purpose?

MisterHero

Still don't get how droids aren't superior to human soldiers. Those
inferno troopers for example,
how could a human be in any way advantageous to a droid for that purpose?
They created the droids and clones and had a fake war until regular citizens got suckered into legitimizing it just by volunteering.

I'm gonna say it's politics

XAL

Dave Filoni pretty much confirmed that
Vader would have been using Inquisitors to help hunt down Jedi after Episode 3.
That article basically just takes information we already know about SW: Rebels and extends it to Ep. VII.

Final nail in the Starkiller coffin?

Blah.

Retconning
inquisitors
into the
original trilogy like they've been a thing all along
....I don't know how to feel about that.

MattyG

Banned
I thought the whole thing about Luke's hand and lightsabre crashing on main characters' planet was fake? I keep seeing it thrown in with legitimate stuff like the helmets.

MisterHero

I thought the whole thing about Luke's hand and lightsabre crashing on main characters' planet was fake? I keep seeing it thrown in with legitimate stuff like the helmets.
The hand
belongs to the movie's villain. It might have been holding Luke's lightsaber.

Top Bottom