• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

I can't believe there is a new Star Wars movie coming out. This thread has been fun to watch. It is kind of disappointing that Luke is not really in the film... But I'm pretty hyped anyway!

Disney/Lucasfilm is harassing fans to remove images of the Rey with lightsaber figure they're buying at Walmart, but they're not demanding sites pull down the Snoke fan art. That tells you a lot.

Oh Variety, you're not helping this interminable wait:

Variety said:
For the new edition, Williams has written a handful of themes for characters including Rey (Daisy Ridley), Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) and Poe (Oscar Isaac), along with “a major march piece” for the Resistance and a choral fanfare for Supreme Leader Snoke (Andy Serkis) that inspired by a Kipling poem translated into Sanskrit.

And while “there are a few short references” to themes from earlier films, nearly all of the two-hour-plus score is new, Williams says. The recording process was “very luxurious,” he adds, with 12 sessions scattered over a five-month period between June and November.

This is the first “Star Wars” score to be recorded in L.A. “Originally we were going to London, and do it all in the space of two weeks’ time, the way we’ve always done George’s (Lucas) films. That would not have worked in this case, because J.J. (Abrams)’s editing process is very different.”

The composer began work last December and basically continued all year, completing the recording in mid-November. His 90-piece orchestra recorded 175 minutes of music, he says, although nearly an hour of that was discarded, modified or rerecorded as Abrams re-edited the film. Snoke’s theme was recorded by a 24-voice men’s chorus.

I need this soundtrack

Joeytj

Banned
Oh Variety, you're not helping this interminable wait:

“a major march piece” for the for the Resistance and a choral fanfare for Supreme Leader Snoke (Andy Serkis) that inspired by a Kipling poem translated into Sanskrit.

Snoke’s theme was recorded by a 24-voice men’s chorus.

I need this soundtrack

Gezus fucking khrist.

That "Major march piece" is obviously the "March of the Resistance" we saw on the leaked soundtrack list.

Some guy on the JWFan forums (get your scum-and-villainy jokes in now, folks) was hinting at a Friday or Monday leak. He looks to be a pretty well-established user but it's still chatter from the asylum, so to say.

Nodnol

Snoke's theme to be reminiscent of the Emperor's throne room music? No idea the name of it, but the one that's like deep chanting?

I've just noticed the time here; 00:06.

In 7 days time I'll be sat in my seat...

Ohwiseone

Some guy on the JWFan forums (get your scum-and-villainy jokes in now, folks) was hinting at a Friday or Monday leak. He looks to be a pretty well-established user but it's still chatter from the asylum, so to say.

I know the source, but I would love it for Friday. Be a Great way to start the final Weekend before the movie is out.

EDIT:
So I found this on that same board.
I can't vouch on the Validality of this review, the people on the JWFan board are stating that he seems like he has some connections.

Full review below:

Here's my non-spoiler review/impressions on the movie. NOSTALGIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Oh boy, how to review a film without talking anything about the story.

My whole plan to see the film was try to avoid any footage of it besides the teasers. This is very difficult especially in my field. I did see the first two teasers as planned, but haven't seen any of the latest marketing besides a brief bit of a TV Spot, and of course that meme all over my feed, thanks facebook friends. Anyways, based on this, I had no idea what to expect.

Yes, the film is excellent. Hell, its fucking awesome. Its nice to see a decent Star Wars film after the prequels (I know it gets tiring, but there'll be comparisons here).

Effects: JJ has been heavily emphasizing practical models and effects and there's actually a lot of it, or the CGI is just so good on certain things. Either way it worked. Obviously there's CGI, and having seen Revenge of the Sith recently obviously TFA's CGI beats it. It doesn't feel like its all over the place, like Lucas prequel films, sorry if it sounds a bit off topic here. The sound design itself is awesome. I mean people will focus on the obviously amazing soundtrack by John Williams, but I very much enjoyed the sounds of the various things in the movie (Spaceships, characters, world, etc). No complaints for the effects honestly.

Cinematography did the job when needed in my opinion. It doesn't really stand out but there are a few stunning landscape shots. I would be more specific on what scenes, but no spoilers.

Did it feel like a Star Wars movie? There were a few people mentioning to me they were worried about it just being a sci fi movie with Star Wars elements. Its definitely a Star Wars movie, and a great one at that. If the Williams theme doesn't convince you, then the characters will and the feel of the world. Lots of fan service, but done very well. I'm not exactly a hardcore fan here, but even a casual person might get a few of the references heh. If you feel worried the marketing has spoiled a bit, you're in for a show. I think their restrained marketing strategy will really please fans. I'd be honestly okay if JJ did the rest of the series, but it'll be interesting to see how the other directors handle it.

Characters characters characters. How were the new leads like Ridley and Boyega? They were both good, though I think Boyega was better. Had some great scenes. I'm going to avoid talking about the old cast besides saying Ford may have aged, but he's still Han Solo. I would talk more in this section, but I might be walking into spoiler territory. No complaints about the characters here in general.

Its also nice to have a decent script where the characters aren't worried about stupid sand or cringe worthy romance bits.

Crowd was perfect btw, they cheered at the right moments. I think they enjoyed it, but I didn't exactly survey everyone. Though Disney types did hand out some surveys. What does this mean for box office? Seeing the film doesn't automatically make me the best box office predictor but I can say with confidence that it'll explode. Anyways.

Its definitely a Star Wars movie.

STAR WARS IS BACK.

If I had to rate it, this is tough because I really love a New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. I think in some ways its stronger then ANH, but that movie was so damn revolutionary that its hard to top for me.

ESB

ANH

TFA

ROTJ

ROTS

TPM

AOTC

Final rating: A

Source: http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/t...2254-review-actually-on-pg-2251-yw/?page=2251

Not a lot of detail in that review, but it seems fairly believable.

Honestly, I'd be pretty astonished if it wasn't either the third or fourth best film in the franchise, so the placing doesn't surprise me.

200_s.gif

Timu

I know the source, but I would love it for Friday. Be a Great way to start the final Weekend before the movie is out.

EDIT:
So I found this on that same board.
I can't vouch on the Validality of this review, the people on the JWFan board are stating that he seems like he has some connections.

Full review below:

Here's my non-spoiler review/impressions on the movie. NOSTALGIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Oh boy, how to review a film without talking anything about the story.

My whole plan to see the film was try to avoid any footage of it besides the teasers. This is very difficult especially in my field. I did see the first two teasers as planned, but haven't seen any of the latest marketing besides a brief bit of a TV Spot, and of course that meme all over my feed, thanks facebook friends. Anyways, based on this, I had no idea what to expect.

Yes, the film is excellent. Hell, its fucking awesome. Its nice to see a decent Star Wars film after the prequels (I know it gets tiring, but there'll be comparisons here).

Effects: JJ has been heavily emphasizing practical models and effects and there's actually a lot of it, or the CGI is just so good on certain things. Either way it worked. Obviously there's CGI, and having seen Revenge of the Sith recently obviously TFA's CGI beats it. It doesn't feel like its all over the place, like Lucas prequel films, sorry if it sounds a bit off topic here. The sound design itself is awesome. I mean people will focus on the obviously amazing soundtrack by John Williams, but I very much enjoyed the sounds of the various things in the movie (Spaceships, characters, world, etc). No complaints for the effects honestly.

Cinematography did the job when needed in my opinion. It doesn't really stand out but there are a few stunning landscape shots. I would be more specific on what scenes, but no spoilers.

Did it feel like a Star Wars movie? There were a few people mentioning to me they were worried about it just being a sci fi movie with Star Wars elements. Its definitely a Star Wars movie, and a great one at that. If the Williams theme doesn't convince you, then the characters will and the feel of the world. Lots of fan service, but done very well. I'm not exactly a hardcore fan here, but even a casual person might get a few of the references heh. If you feel worried the marketing has spoiled a bit, you're in for a show. I think their restrained marketing strategy will really please fans. I'd be honestly okay if JJ did the rest of the series, but it'll be interesting to see how the other directors handle it.

Characters characters characters. How were the new leads like Ridley and Boyega? They were both good, though I think Boyega was better. Had some great scenes. I'm going to avoid talking about the old cast besides saying Ford may have aged, but he's still Han Solo. I would talk more in this section, but I might be walking into spoiler territory. No complaints about the characters here in general.

Its also nice to have a decent script where the characters aren't worried about stupid sand or cringe worthy romance bits.

Crowd was perfect btw, they cheered at the right moments. I think they enjoyed it, but I didn't exactly survey everyone. Though Disney types did hand out some surveys. What does this mean for box office? Seeing the film doesn't automatically make me the best box office predictor but I can say with confidence that it'll explode. Anyways.

Its definitely a Star Wars movie.

STAR WARS IS BACK.

If I had to rate it, this is tough because I really love a New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. I think in some ways its stronger then ANH, but that movie was so damn revolutionary that its hard to top for me.

ESB

ANH

TFA

ROTJ

ROTS

TPM

AOTC

Final rating: A

Source: http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/t...2254-review-actually-on-pg-2251-yw/?page=2251
Hmm, interesting, I can see it like that.

My god...

Ohwiseone

It's more like a hybrid of his "hold together" line from ANH and Lando's "don't let me down" from ROTJ.

But regardless, that was Star Wars as fuck

There isn't a TON Of dialogue in that trailer, but its Star Wars.

Like Poe's "We got alot of company" It's fucking Fantastic.

Also I love BB-8's "Whoa" When its rolling around the inside of the Falcon.
That first hit from Kylo, he is putting all of his strength in that hit, You can tell.

NYR94

Looks like Poe says "We've got company" in that night scene where he's holding the blaster and "We got a lot of company!" in this Chinese trailer.

prag16

Banned
Maybe I'll warm up to it, but anybody else meh on Kylo's voice? Sounds a little too much like a generic kidnapper voice disguiser. Like cheapo poor man's Vader almost. Though I guess that's what they could be going for?

Jarmel

Banned
Also note Kylo is using one hand at the end for his swing, just like Vader did to Luke in Bespin.

They were taking notes. Oh man.

Ohwiseone

I don't expect some Epic like 10 minute long light saber battle, but for some reason I am so hyped for the one with kylo.

I guess because I have a feeling he will attempt to beat the shit out of anyone he faces.

MattyG

Banned
FUCK. That trailer guys... everything was amazing. I'm convinced Kylo Ren is going to be the best thing about this movie. That shot of him holding Rey at lightsaber point... and him vs Finn... GUYS HOLD ME I CAN'T CONTAIN THE HYPE.

For a second I thought they would show Luke
We're not seeing Luke until we see the movie.

Also note Kylo is using one hand at the end for his swing, just like Vader did to Luke in Bespin.

They were taking notes. Oh man.

I mean, if you want to play it that way, Anakin swung his saber A LOT with one hand against Dooku and Obi-Wan in RoTS.

They took notes on the wrong movie.

I wonder- if Snoke's theme is based a Rudyard Kipling poem, I wonder of said poem has anything to do with Kaa the snake. They'd be able to do that, since this is a Disney movie.

Nodnol

Good lord...that Chinese trailer.

I love the sound of Kylos's saber. Sounds as unstable as it looks.

Did they tweak Kylo's voice? I wonder if they tidied it up for the purpose of clarity in an international trailer? I prefer how he sounded in the early trailers.

Top Bottom