• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Kuros

I bet the VIII shot list will be much more closely guarded.

So from what Kasdan said a lot of the leaks last time came from people laid off when Ford broke his leg and they had to shut down production for a few weeks. So we may not see as many leaks this time.

I bet the VIII shot list will be much more closely guarded.

So from what Kasdan said a lot of the leaks last time came from people laid off when Ford broke his leg and they had to shut down production for a few weeks. So we may not see as many leaks this time.

unless we take matters into our own hands

misery-1.jpg

I'd love if Carrie's daughter played a Young Leia in Rogue. Maybe have the very last scene be her receiving the plans for the Death Star and boarding ship with R2.

I'd love if Carrie's daughter played a Young Leia in Rogue. Maybe have the very last scene be her receiving the plans for the Death Star and boarding ship with R2.
I'd still love the last scene to be the exact shot from the beginning of A New Hope (if not, at least a similar shot from a different angle) and then stormtroopers on the other side of the breach before a cut to the credits.

maharg

idspispopd
So, is there solid information out there about what changed from Arndt's draft? The rumours were, iirc, that he had it focusing more on the new cast, but I have a hard time imagining it focusing that much more on them than it did without cutting Han out altogether.

Oh, I assumed that celebration was in April next year as well.

Nope!

So, is there solid information out there about what changed from Arndt's draft? The rumours were, iirc, that he had it focusing more on the new cast, but I have a hard time imagining it focusing that much more on them than it did without cutting Han out altogether.

It was actually kind of the opposite problem:

EW Q&A article said:
“Early on I tried to write versions of the story where [Rey] is at home, her home is destroyed, and then she goes on the road and meets Luke. And then she goes and kicks the bad guy’s ass,” Arndt said. “It just never worked and I struggled with this. This was back in 2012.”

The trouble was a simple case of upstaging. “It just felt like every time Luke came in and entered the movie, he just took it over,” Arndt said. “Suddenly you didn’t care about your main character anymore because, ‘Oh f–k, Luke Skywalker’s here. I want to see what he’s going to do.’”

So what do you guys think of these EP8 rumors about Christensen coming back as Dark Vader or Anakin Skywalker or as both? Apparently GL wanted to explore force ghost resurrection at some point in RotJ with Ben Kenobi. Do you think it is part of the "weird" things we will see that Kasdan talked about?

Deadly

So what do you guys think of these EP8 rumors about Christensen coming back as Dark Vader or Anakin Skywalker or as both? Apparently GL wanted to explore force ghost resurrection at some point in RotJ with Ben Kenobi. Do you think it is part of the "weird" things we will see that Kasdan talked about?
I'm all for it at this point. It seems like the next step in the storyline. I don't know about resurrection though. Something like appearing as a ghost is enough. Hopefully with the right direction, he can do well.

ps. no spoiler tags necessary.

prag16

Banned
I'm all for it at this point. It seems like the next step in the storyline. I don't know about resurrection though. Something like appearing as a ghost is enough. Hopefully with the right direction, he can do well.

ps. no spoiler tags necessary.
Christensen appearing as a ghost is something I'd have zero problem with. Gaf and the Internet would rage so hard though. Because "fuck the prequels etc etc".

Imagine of they resurrected him, boy.

shield

I'd be really excited to see that. The concept stuff for this in the 'Art of' book was really interesting

I wouldn't want it, mainly due to feeling like if the truth about Vader is to be revealed to Kylo, it should be through Luke.

Deadly

He knows already. Views it as a moment of weakness that he's determined not to repeat ("finish what you started"). Was a quick bit of dialog in the novelization.
Wow isn't that rather important? Since it's the novelization is it canon though? I interpreted that as just killing all the jedi.

Figure it would go something like Luke telling him, him not believing him and then we'd have Anakin appear to him.

sphagnum

Banned
Wow isn't that rather important? Since it's the novelization is it canon though? I interpreted that as just killing all the jedi.

Figure it would go something like Luke telling him, him not believing him and then we'd have Anakin appear to him.

The novels are canon except for where they conflict with the films, which has pretty much always been the Lucasfilm policies even in the old EU, but was recently reconfirmed by Pablo Hidalgo. So extra dialogue is canon, whereas something like the Starkiller using dark matter instead of the sun to power its lasers is not.

But yes, in the novelization Kylo and Snoke have a chat about the failure of the Empire and Snoke blames it on Vader failing at the last moment, allowing his emotion to get the better of him instead of sticking to his duty. This is foreshadowing for Kylo killing Han, since he is determined not to let sentiment get in his way. He goes beyond what even Vader was willing to do.

I think Kylo views "Darth Vader" and "Anakin Skywalker" as two separate people, really, just like how he told Han that he destroyed Ben Solo. He is obsessed with Darth Vader but views the return of Anakin Skywalker as a moment of weakness.

f4LQEcx.png

So.....this is basically nothing, but assuming he's talking about SW...we can assume he won't be wheelchair bound I guess....:)

Finn to have movement, confirmed!

This is never going to happen. If it weren't for the fact that the prequels were feature films made by Lucas, all of it would be non-canon. Disney doesn't want Star Wars to be associated with them ever again and especially not Hayden Christensen.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
This is never going to happen. If it weren't for the fact that the prequels were feature films made by Lucas, all of it would be non-canon. Disney doesn't want Star Wars to be associated with them ever again and especially not Hayden Christensen.

Given numerous other products outside of the films, this is quite untrue.

Why have Lucasfilm been releasing prequel era content since they were purchased by Disney then?

Cheebo

Banned
Someone forgot to tell Disney that.
disney-infinity-3-0-134102.jpg

Christensen is coming back for Rogue One, it's a no-brainer. Is he training for some action scenes as Vader in this movie? If not i guess it certainly means he would come back for more than just a force ghost apparition in EP8...

sphagnum

Banned
Supposing Vader is in Rogue One (and it will be a big missed opportunity if he isn't), they could get any tall guy to be in the suit, as long as they get JEJ to do the voiceover.

I'm more concerned that we've heard nothing about Jimmy Smits being in Rogue One.

sphagnum

Banned
Thought this was kind of interesting: https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/682637592123338753

bp2IdK7.png

For those who don't know, Admiral Jhared Montferrat is a character in the new canon from the Star Wars Insider short story "Blade Squadron", an Imperial officer based on the appearance of Mads Mikkelsen. Mads is in Rogue One, but he's stated that he's not playing a villain. It would be strange if Mads was playing Montferrat since there's no indication in the short story that Montferrat (who becomes the head of Vader's ex-flagship Devastator by the time of the Battle of Endor) has ever been anything other than a loyal Imperial.

Or he could just be joking about it or saying "Wait till you see how good he is in the role he's actually in!", who knows.

prag16

Banned
Supposing Vader is in Rogue One (and it will be a big missed opportunity if he isn't), they could get any tall guy to be in the suit, as long as they get JEJ to do the voiceover.

I'm more concerned that we've heard nothing about Jimmy Smits being in Rogue One.
I would love to see small Vader and Smits appearances in Rogue One. Seems to make too much sense not to happen.

Kuros

Christensen is coming back for Rogue One, it's a no-brainer. Is he training for some action scenes as Vader in this movie? If not i guess it certainly means he would come back for more than just a force ghost apparition in EP8...

If Vadar is in Rogue One it'll be a tall guy in the suit and James Earl Jones on the mic.

Christensen isn't tall enough without them doing a whole load of forced perspective for a start.

sphagnum

Banned
I believe this was reported before, but Rian Johnson confirmed on his Twitter that before starting Episode VIII he screened Twelve O'Clock High and Letter Never Sent. Some insight into his inspirations?

Strax

Interesting, do you know what time of year? They can do Snow Planet, lush green fields with snow capped mountains or surface of the moon there.

Spring 2016. Its the only country outside of US and UK they'll shoot in I've been told.

I believe this was reported before, but Rian Johnson confirmed on his Twitter that before starting Episode VIII he screened Twelve O'Clock High and Letter Never Sent. Some insight into his inspirations?

Letter Never Sent is a really good movie, out in Criterion. Hulu has it under their CC library too.

I'll be real interested to see what sort of inspiration he takes. Lucas borrowed heavily from another Russia-filmed movie for ESB -- Dersu Uzala (Kurosawa, of course). Yoda is basically the titular character of that movie, and the whole Han/Tauntaun thing is heavily inspired by a similar scene in the movie.

Criterion's short synopsis of LNS:

The great Soviet director Mikhail Kalatozov, known for his virtuosic, emotionally gripping films, perhaps never made a more visually astonishing one than Letter Never Sent. This absorbing tale of exploration and survival concerns the four members of a geological expedition, who are stranded in the bleak and unforgiving Siberian wilderness while on a mission to find diamonds. Luxuriating in wide-angle beauty and featuring one daring shot after another (the brilliant cinematography is by Kalatozov’s frequent collaborator Sergei Urusevsky), Letter Never Sent is a fascinating piece of cinematic history and a universal adventure of the highest order.

sphagnum

Banned
MSW's finally got some Rogue One rumors up:

Mads Mikkelsen (Galen appears to be his name in the film) is kind of the key to the film in a way. He is a scientist that took over the Geonosian Death Star project. He solved several of the flaws the Empire could not and is sort of a revered person in the Empire for his contributions. However, Mikkelsen’s character is a Robert Oppenheimer-type character. Oppenheimer helped design the atomic bomb only to say, “Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.” The guilt “Galen” feels for his contributions to the Empire become too much and he defects, attempting to make things right. In order to do this, he enlists the help of his only daughter….

Felicity Jones’ character has to undo the devastation her family has unleashed onto the galaxy. Early versions of this character had her as a bounty hunter type of mercenary. But with the familial connections it appears as if this idea might not interface with the final stuff for the character so I’m hesitant to say she’s a bounty hunter/mercenary type in the final iteration. (But I could be wrong about that part.)

Sounds good to me.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
you could say he really is a....

Rogue one

You know Felicity, we really are the Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

don't hurt me please :(

Edit: Rogue One doesn't sound like much of a heist movie any more which I was looking forward too.

obin_gam

So deducing how to take inspiration from these movies...

Letter Never Sent said:
This absorbing tale of exploration and survival concerns the four members of a geological expedition, who are stranded in the bleak and unforgiving Siberian wilderness while on a mission to find diamonds.

Luke and Rey spend a lot of screen time (maybe all theirs?) at the Jedi Temple searching for Force Artifacts. Possibly Kylo Ren and Snoke will also arrive and they will battle there?

Twelve O'Clock High said:
In this story of the early days of daylight bombing raids over Nazi Germany, General Frank Savage must take command of a "hard luck" bomber group. Much of the story deals with his struggle to whip his group into a disciplined fighting unit in spite of heavy losses, and withering attacks by German fighters over their targets.
The B-story could be about the Restistance pilots and soldiers doing raids on the last pieces of The First Order left, alternatively trying to seek out where Snoke is hiding?

Tying these to togehter could mean both stories collide (as in ESB) at one place, either at Snokes base or at the Jedi Temple.

Waldini

This movie logo better no get smacked on the big-screen being called Rogue One : A Star Wars story ...

I prefer Star Wars : Rogue One

Top Bottom