• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I love the design of the 'grave robber', I can't wait to find out who it really is. I'm just so glad the franchise is continuing without Lucas, at the very least these will be watchable popcorn films (which is vastly better than the prequels).

They leaked most of episode III if I remember correctly.

Pretty much all of it, and so far, in mostly the same manner:

Guys on set start leaking information.
Guys at website start drip-feeding that information.
Guys at other websites start backbiting quietly in the background
People reading start getting impatient and annoyed with the drip-feeding
Guys at the websites start backbiting even louder
MF rolls in and kicks the whole apple cart over.

MF was (and still is, apparently, even a decade later) basically just one guy and his forum. Back then, he was basically just cracking people's passwords and yanking their scoops out from underneath them. Robin Hood, essentially. Once that became known, people just started taking their shit directly to him - because it was going to end up there anyway.

It's possible someone just mailed him all this stuff - a lot of it had gotten out due to some webmasters getting careless with sharing it for "verification" purposes with messageboard randos, so I can see someone just going "I'm gonna send this to MF, they'll post it."

Pretty much all of it, and so far, in mostly the same manner:

Guys on set start leaking information.
Guys at website start drip-feeding that information.
Guys at other websites start backbiting quietly in the background
People reading start getting impatient and annoyed with the drip-feeding
Guys at the websites start backbiting even louder
MF rolls in and kicks the whole apple cart over.

MF was (and still is, apparently, even a decade later) basically just one guy and his forum. Back then, he was basically just cracking people's passwords and yanking their scoops out from underneath them. Robin Hood, essentially. Once that became known, people just started taking their shit directly to him - because it was going to end up there anyway.

It's possible someone just mailed him all this stuff - a lot of it had gotten out due to some webmasters getting careless with sharing it for "verification" purposes with messageboard randos, so I can see someone just going "I'm gonna send this to MF, they'll post it."

Yeah. I was mostly visiting during the Episode 3 days and there was legit information regularly, and a lot of it. It was the site with scoops before anyone else.

The forums were rad too. It felt like the Star Wars underground or something and it just had such a serious vibe.

Sites like these and all the pre-release hype are the best parts about new Star Wars movies coming out. It was true during the prequels and so far has been true here too.

So on the front page of reddit theres a link saying "Darth vader's helmet in episode VII!" to an imgur picture without any context. No one knows this is just a concept art leak and everyone thinks thats the official vader helmet in the movie. Ugh, sometimes I wonder why I still browse that site.

Edit: Looks like the mods deleted it. Thats good.

CD'S BAR

is that really h ow he will look in the movie, though? those are just concept arts, right?

in the final movie he might be the chrome trooper we have seen pictures of?

well we've now seen 3 different concepts of him now from the same scene/pose with him looking longingly at that vader helmet, and in two of them he does resemble that description, including that one from indierevolver a while back which strikes me as the most final of the 3 (looks like it's from an actual storyboard frame or something?) granted it is not exactly the same as the other two. that humanoid one with the star destroyer somehow seems like a really rough early design.

then again the art where he's force grabbing ridley almost looks like darth malak from kotor rather than the cyborg bug from the other two arts. so yeah i guess we don't know for sure what he'll look like in the movie yet, but i hope they keep the creepy bug/terminator look.

i think the chrome trooper is a different character. i think those guys are supposed to be his private security or something like that?

maruchan

Is the one of the girl being held by the cyborg the one that the
"Luke is a cyborcyborg villain" rumor is based on? If so, I don't know why the person assumed it was Luke based on that.

Also, OH MY GOD I LOVE THAT ART.

I like the rumor the cyborg impersonates luke, and uses the found light saber as the cyborgs scam..

I also like the idea the cyborg is actually Luke's son...

Sapiens

I like the rumor the cyborg impersonates luke, and uses the found light saber as the cyborgs scam..

I also like the idea the cyborg is actually Luke's son...

Rumour has it that his name is Lukakin

nYrr8yj.png

Rootbeer

Banned
I hope it's not the real Luke. I can handle a clone or some kind of cyborg that has some of luke's DNA or qualities build into it, that could be interesting. But having Luke the dark force master/sith/whatever they end up calling him feels a bit much...

I'm going with that the cyborg is a Force/Cave moment where Daisy imagines herself as the cyborg. Also, I don't think the grave robber looks like whomever she's fighting in the light saber art.

inm8num2

I think the cyborg is simply a new villain about which we know little. A festering dark force undiscovered until the moment Ridley and Boyega find him/it.

Looking back, that theory by the makingstarwars.net guy was either poor speculation or click bait.

inm8num2

Was Arndt's script based a little more off Lucas' preliminary story outline/suggestions? I want to say that the Abrams/Kasdan rewrite diminished some of Lucas' influence - not deliberately, but partially to boost the original trio's roles (maybe to help convince Ford to sign on?) while keeping the backbone intact.

GPsych

Seemingly the last gift Papa Lucas gave us before becoming one with the Schwartz was Sheev.

I don't understand George's problems with names. We KNOW that he isn't a complete moron. He must be reasonably intelligent. He also gave us cool names like Han Solo, Skywalker, Lando, etc.

Was he hit in the head by a lead pipe in the 90s? How do we go from Han Solo to Count Dooku? He must have realized how ridiculous that name was. And Sheev? Yikes.

Lucas didn't give a fuck. It was a goofy silly thing and he treated it as such.

"Uh... Darth Icky, I guess? Sheev? Fuck it. The people who care enough to get pissed are buying this shit anyway. Fuck 'em. Fuck this. Yunno what, I should just sell this sheev. Why not. I'm tired."

Altazor

I think Lucas (or at least, the creative side of Lucas) came to resent Star Wars a bit by the end. He was feeling, in a way, beholden to this thing he helped create and spiraled out of control. He could've been an auteur, but no - he was "stuck" doing Star Wars because that was "his" legacy. He could've washed his hands off it a long time ago (and he sort-of did with the EU but even in those cases, Lucas' canon superseded everything else) but I think he still had enough ego to say "no, this is MY baby and no matter what all these other people do/write, I'm still the only one who can do this stuff justice".

Until he stopped giving a shit. Too much criticism (warranted and unwarranted), the realization that nothing he ever did would live up to Star Wars, and decades of working on the same stuff -even when you have lost the passion you once had to work on it- for decades took their toll on him. And now he has a big enough fortune to absolutely not give a shit about SW anymore. Not his problem.

whats the likeliness of boyega being a jedi in here then? i see ridley's got the lightsaber here if that concept art is legit.

i can see gleeson being related to luke in some way and oscar isaac being a bit of a han solo redux

whats the likeliness of boyega being a jedi in here then? i see ridley's got the lightsaber here if that concept art is legit.

i can see gleeson being related to luke in some way and oscar isaac being a bit of a han solo redux

I was thinking Isaac was a Jedi in training when Luke went missing.

Faraci dropping more rumors on twitter:

iXr8sTw.jpg

As to Luke being the cyborg:

O1V1D6I.jpg

Also:

suub7iF.jpg

My guess as to the mystery actor playing the cyborg:
Hayden Christensen. The cyborg is a clone of Anakin.

Why are you spoilering your guess? It's just a guess.

Lotta people are jumping to the Hayden conclusion. I dunno. I'm trying to think of actors that Abrams likes working with, or have talked about wanting to work with him.

I mean, literally resurrecting Vader would be pretty fuckin' out there.

Blader

I refuse to believe that any director given the chance to do a Star Wars movie would choose to rehire Hayden for anything.

Akahige

Tom Cruise would be my guess for the cyborg, he was rumored on set but that's probably M:I 5 related.

He would be a major wtf.

Raptor

Why are you spoilering your guess? It's just a guess.

Lotta people are jumping to the Hayden conclusion. I dunno. I'm trying to think of actors that Abrams likes working with, or have talked about wanting to work with him.

I mean, literally resurrecting Vader would be pretty fuckin' out there.

Simon Pegg

:p

120v

if "the cyborg is a clone of _________" stuff is true it'd probably be anakin... as i don't know what motivation there'd be to clone any other character aside from Luke, who is still alive presumably, which would involve a lot of exposition and likely retcons

darthbob

if "the cyborg is a clone of _________" stuff is true it'd probably be anakin... as i don't know what motivation there'd be to clone any other character aside from Luke, who is still alive presumably, which would involve a lot of exposition and likely retcons

Luuke.

inm8num2

Could the cyborg be Darth Maul? I have no idea what happened with the character in Clone Wars, other than the fact that he was brought back.

Top Bottom