• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Nicktendo86

I think this is potentially true symbolically.

But at the same time, that uniform he is wearing was intended to be the original Jedi uniform at the time of filming ROTJ.

In pre-production for Episode I, the Jedis were going to wear Luke's ROTJ robe. Only after some deliberation did Lucas decide that actually, the Jedis should wear Ben Kenobi's hobo robe.

I think it would make a lot more sense if they went with the first idea. First of all, Luke's ROTJ garb looks so much more like a uniform, and it looked modern, sleek and cool (and would have remained so in 1999 as well. It's very "Matrix".). Second, it meant that you could re-contextualize Luke's costume in ROTJ as symbolically the Return of the Jedi... it would have been a highly symbolic act of rebellion that he was openly walking around in the uniform of the fallen Jedi, symbolizing their return. Third, we are to believe that Obi Wan goes into hiding... and he just wears the Jedi robe for 20+ years? That's a horrible disguise, and kind of sad at the same time. I really think when we first watched the OT, that was originally intended by the creators (and interpreted by the viewers) as a hermit's robe unique to Obi, not a a Jedi robe.
I didn't think it was possible but you just made me hate the prequels a little more.

The thing that makes me laugh is that they even went to the trouble in rots to show scorched parts of his tunic that match up with wear and tear in anh. Are we really to believe that Obi-Wan didn't change in 20 years, in the most hot/hostile planet in the galaxy? Really?

maharg

idspispopd

But at the same time, that uniform he is wearing was intended to be the original Jedi uniform at the time of filming ROTJ.

In pre-production for Episode I, the Jedis were going to wear Luke's ROTJ robe. Only after some deliberation did Lucas decide that actually, the Jedis should wear Ben Kenobi's hobo robe.

I think it would make a lot more sense if they went with the first idea. First of all, Luke's ROTJ garb looks so much more like a uniform, and it looked modern, sleek and cool (and would have remained so in 1999 as well. It's very "Matrix".). Second, it meant that you could re-contextualize Luke's costume in ROTJ as symbolically the Return of the Jedi... it would have been a highly symbolic act of rebellion that he was openly walking around in the uniform of the fallen Jedi, symbolizing their return. Third, we are to believe that Obi Wan goes into hiding... and he just wears the Jedi robe for 20+ years? That's a horrible disguise, and kind of sad at the same time. I really think when we first watched the OT, that was originally intended by the creators (and interpreted by the viewers) as a hermit's robe unique to Obi, not a a Jedi robe.

I think they'd have looked like a bunch of nazis if they'd all been wearing something like Luke's outfit in RotJ. It's a fine concept when you never plan to actually show the Jedi in their glory, but it was an idea that would have looked incredibly awkward in practice.

Look, Lucas has said a lot of things. Many of them appear to have been flights of fancy, a lot of them contradict other things he's said, and a lot of those changeable ideas even made it into the films, only to be contradicted shortly thereafter (need I bring up Luke and Leia kissing?).

And really, as to the 'disguise' issue, none of that compares to letting the kid be named Luke Skywalker.

I think they'd have looked like a bunch of nazis if they'd all been wearing something like Luke's outfit in RotJ. It's a fine concept when you never plan to actually show the Jedi in their glory, but it was an idea that would have looked incredibly awkward in practice.

Look, Lucas has said a lot of things. Many of them appear to have been flights of fancy, a lot of them contradict other things he's said, and a lot of those changeable ideas even made it into the films, only to be contradicted shortly thereafter (need I bring up Luke and Leia kissing?).

And really, as to the 'disguise' issue, none of that compares to letting the kid be named Luke Skywalker.

The idea is Skywalker is like the last name Smith.

maharg

idspispopd
The idea is Skywalker is like the last name Smith.

Ok. So a similar explanation is that somewhere there's a planet full of non-Jedi who wear Jedi-like robes, so no one would really suspect Obi of being anything but one of those.

You can find ridiculous and silly un-spoken explanations for any continuity error. It's better just to let the films stand on their own and let them say what they say. Luke never goes "Oh hey, dad, look I'm wearing a Jedi uniform!" so whatever Lucas or anyone else thought while they were making is irrelevant. The dark/light-underneath symbolism is entirely valid, but there's just no reason to think it's a jedi uniform in the film itself.

I felt in my heart that we'd see some sort of teaser this year. Hopefully, this rumor is true. I hope it captures our imagination the way the Episode One trailer did. I'm scared of getting Indy 4 vibes from the teaser, but I probably shouldn't.

Moff

what about anakins robe at the end of ROTJ, though? or yodas clothes?
I always thought obi wans modest monk Robes were original jedi clothing, that made sense to me.
it was always clear to me, that lukes outfit in ROTJ was the one that stood out, that he was flying too close to the dark side. it's what makes the twist at the end with the inside being white so cool.

making that the official jedi uniform would have been very odd. both sith and jedi weaking black? no, that simply doesnt fit starwar's light vs. dark side conflict.

Nicktendo86

what about anakins robe at the end of ROTJ, though? or yodas clothes?
I always thought obi wans modest monk Robes were original jedi clothing, that made sense to me.
it was always clear to me, that lukes outfit in ROTJ was the one that stood out, that he was flying too close to the dark side. it's what makes the twist at the end with the inside being white so cool.

making that the official jedi uniform would have been very odd. both sith and jedi weaking black? no, that simply doesnt fit starwar's light vs. dark side conflict.
Anakin's robes at the end of rotj have very little resemblances to his Jedi robes though.

I always took it that the robes obi-wan, Yoda and Anakin's ghost wear are normal wear for a self respecting gentleman in the galaxy and not official Jedi robes.

Moff

Anakin's robes at the end of rotj have very little resemblances to his Jedi robes though.

yes but of course we didnt know that at the time.

they are exactly the same robes obi wan wears, indicating that those are jedi uniforms. of course they could also be the suits or togas of the star wars galaxy, as you put it, but since both of them a jedi, I - and I guess many others - naturally assumed those are jedi robes. the EU certainly picked it up.

Anth0ny

This.

dumb as hell

fuckin prequels

sant

Maybe Obi Wan sensed through the force that he would encounter Luke that day and decided to wear his old Jedi robes (to symbolically become a jedi again).

yes but of course we didnt know that at the time.

they are exactly the same robes obi wan wears, indicating that those are jedi uniforms. of course they could also be the suits or togas of the star wars galaxy, as you put it, but since both of them a jedi, I - and I guess many others - naturally assumed those are jedi robes. the EU certainly picked it up.

Anakin and Obi-Wan are from the same planet as Owen so it makes sense that they wear the same kind of desert robes.

Also I don't why the Jedis couldn't have worn variants of Luke's uniform, similar to how only Anakin wears a black Tatooine robe in the PT. Or, they could for example just keep their jacket open since, as was said, the uniform has clear white parts on it if the jacket is open.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Anakin and Obi-Wan are from the same planet as Owen so it makes sense that they wear the same kind of desert robes.

Also I don't why the Jedis couldn't have worn variants of Luke's uniform, similar to how only Anakin wears a black Tatooine robe in the PT. Or, they could for example just keep their jacket open since, as was said, the uniform has clear white parts on it if the jacket is open.

Obi Wan was born on Tatooine?

Rootbeer

Banned
Obi Wan was born on Tatooine?
I don't think so. Does Obi-Wan or Qui Gon make any mention of it when they land there in EPI? Nope, it's just a place they are forced to land. The theories of Obi-Wan and Lars being related will probably be ignored despite some evidence for it in at least one film's novelization

CD'S BAR

Description of a newer concept art of the supposed big reveal scene/cyborg embrace...

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/10/c...de-vii-another-look-cyborgs-haunting-embrace/
Behind the woman and the cyborg, on the left of the frame, stand three figures. Closest to the window is a male, black, with a blue lightsaber ignited, ready for combat. A small bipedal alien stands next to him holding a satchel. The alien is just a little taller than waist high on an average male. The last figure is the little droid with a basket ball sized spherical body. The three figures are clearly there to kick some ass and take names. They seem ready to get their friend back and do whatever it takes to make sure that happens.

There's a lot more in the link. What stands out to me is the appearance in this scene of the small bipedal alien which I'm guessing is same one we've seen in the cantina/blue lightsaber art. If this guy is part of the main crew I'm guessing that's who Andy Serkis is playing.

Interesting note: an old draft of Episode 1 had obi-wan dressed in black similar to Luke and changing to the robes we know and love by disguising himself as a moisture farmer on tattooine when they land there looking for parts for the queen's ship.

btrboyev

That's not unusual for a film as big as this. Lots of location shooting, VFX, wrangling people's schedules, plus Ford out on injury for a few weeks. It adds up.

It only started filming in May...a 6 month shooting schedule is pretty normal and thats not evening counting pick-ups.

Rootbeer

Banned
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/526820902072090624

Peter Sciretta
‏@slashfilm
Re: Star Wars trailer -- I have heard we will see it sooner than you might think
12:41 PM - 27 Oct 2014

Devil Faraci
‏@devincf
@slashfilm I heard there might be something on AGENTS OF SHIELD soon.
12:41 PM - 27 Oct 2014

Patrick Campbell
‏@pj_campbell
@devincf @slashfilm I keep thinking that Into the Woods seems the most likely place...But I wouldn't be surprised by a teaser on AOS.
12:43 PM - 27 Oct 2014

The buzz is in the air.

*edit*

there is an article now
http://www.slashfilm.com/rumor-star-wars-7-teaser-trailer/

They were gonna put Age of Ultron's on ABC before it got leaked. I could see them sticking the Star Wars teaser on network television before it shows up in any theater.

Plus there's the whole National Association of Theater Owners voluntary guidelines that say studios can't attach trailers for movies that are more than 6 months away from release. Distributors can make 2 exceptions - but Disney's already filled those two slots with Inside Out and Tomorrowland.

Then again, it's voluntary, so if Disney just doesn't give a damn, they can put the Ultron & Star Wars trailers on whatever they want if they want.

But this could be their way around those NATO rules - put these teasers online/broadcast tv.

I'm betting this Star Wars teaser that Williams is scoring isn't going to be much more than what we got for that Star Trek teaser back in 08.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's just a better version of that Falcon walkby we got earlier. Without the Tumbler, of course.

Description of a newer concept art of the supposed big reveal scene/cyborg embrace...

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/10/c...de-vii-another-look-cyborgs-haunting-embrace/

There's a lot more in the link. What stands out to me is the appearance in this scene of the small bipedal alien which I'm guessing is same one we've seen in the cantina/blue lightsaber art. If this guy is part of the main crew I'm guessing that's who Andy Serkis is playing.

It's a failed Anakin clone.

Moff

but anakin and luke were both close to the dark side and fought with temptation, it makes sense they would wear the color of the sith.

and about the "desert robes", is that really what you thought? not trying to be a jackass, I am genuinely interested. I read a lot about star wars and that's the first time I hear something like that. to me it was always absolutely clear that those are jedi robes. not desert robes.

The idea that Luke is wearing a Jedi uniform at the end of Return of the Jedi is silly anyway. Are there downloadable patterns that he passed off to a tailor or something? Seeing as though he was effectively the last Jedi I'm not sure there was a store he could go to and pick an official one off the rack.

and about the "desert robes", is that really what you thought? not trying to be a jackass, I am genuinely interested. I read a lot about star wars and that's the first time I hear something like that. to me it was always absolutely clear that those are jedi robes. not desert robes.

Owen is wearing what looks like the same robe. Owen isn't a Jedi.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, it's interesting. I don't know much about the EU, so not sure if a saber like that has existed before. There are already plenty of people bashing it in the comments, which is expected... but at first glance it does feel sort of "come on! little mini sabers on each side?"

But I don't know, I kind of like how the end result looks. I'm not sure how practical that is... if you used the lightsaber "guards" to deflect a lightsaber and that saber's blade contacts the area near the middle which is made of metal it would cut through it, so I don't see how it's much use against another lightsaber in that way.

We know that lightsabers can have their length adjusted, very easily, we even saw it very recently in Star Wars Rebels where Kanan shows Ezra how to adjust the saber to fit his height. The idea of having sabers THAT short though, hmm. It's a neat idea, that's all I can say right now. Those images are incredibly bad quality so...

I swear that looks familiar.

Haha, first thing that popped into my mind:

tumblr_ln5s92FzpA1qcrxbro1_400.jpg

Looks super fake. Check out the laser hilt, haha.

raphier

Banned
The concept is so crazy it must be true!

The helmet throws me off more than the saber. It doesn't look of the quality you'd expect to see in the actual film. it looks too big in the lower face. Dunno. I hate when people release these fake images just to see how people will respond. Happens with so many geek oriented films.

Concept art usually looks worse than the production replica.

Rootbeer

Banned
The helmet throws me off more than the saber. It doesn't look of the quality you'd expect to see in the actual film. it looks too big in the lower face. Dunno. I hate when people release these fake images just to see how people will respond. Happens with so many geek oriented films.

CD'S BAR

Weren't there rumors a while back that the villain or one of the villain's swords looks like a real sword with the T-shaped hilt? I like that idea but the mini light sabers in that pic just look stupid and impractical. How easy it would be to accidentally touch those with your wrist or forearm. Has to be fake. I hope...

maharg

idspispopd
Weren't there rumors a while back that the villain or one of the villain's swords looks like a real sword with the T-shaped hilt? I like that idea but the mini light sabers in that pic just look stupid and impractical. How easy it would be to accidentally touch those with your wrist or forearm. Has to be fake. I hope...

Let's be real, it would already take superhuman skills to use a lightsaber and not accidentally cut your own arm off.

Rootbeer

Banned
That's legit concept art, apparently.

Indierevolver is backing this leak.

I can confirm that not only is this legitimate production art but that this particular concept made its way through pre-production and into the film. This character and his lightbroadsword have filmed scenes in England.

*IF* it's actually real, and signs are starting to point that way, I think people will accept it soon enough... it may seem odd or even stupid at first glance but it is a very cool visual. there may be some good explainations for why he has a lightsaber with such a design.

MNC

"Hahaha so fake"

"That's just some stupid cosplay"

"Such bad quality helmet"

*gets released as official*

"I told you guys"

"Yeah I kind of knew this would be real

CBTech

I like the idea of a t-shaped hilt on a light saber but it being made by two mini light sabers is pretty silly. And yeah this guy looks way too much like Revan.

Ah well I'm still excited.

Top Bottom