• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

LastNac

Having no idea who Revan is, that mask looks a lot like Grievous's face.
In KotOR
DSRevan.jpg

In TOR.
Sith_revan.jpg

maharg

idspispopd
Indierevolver is backing this leak.

*IF* it's actually real, and signs are starting to point that way, I think people will accept it soon enough... it may seem odd or even stupid at first glance but it is a very cool visual. there may be some good explainations for why he has a lightsaber with such a design.

It's really no sillier a concept than a double ended lightsaber, and people wound up going gaga over that.

CD'S BAR

Gah. Well hopefully there's a cool reason for it in the movie. I guess they already gave us baby lightsabers for yoda and the younglings so this isn't much of a stretch from that.

Abounder

Banned
Gah. Well hopefully there's a cool reason for it in the movie. I guess they already gave us baby lightsabers for yoda and the younglings so this isn't much of a stretch from that.

And in the new cartoon series they can change the length of the saber with some gizmo on the saber handle. Although I want to say that this was established in the OT cross-section books too...

With an art department so under the gun I wouldn't be surprised if more stuff isn't dredged up from the past. Both Star Wars Rebels and this film seem to be ransacking the back catalogue.

Moff

light broadsword, really?
I didnt like Maul, bit his double lightsaber was badass and I definitely felt WOW when I saw the TPM trailer for the first time.
but a light broadsword? what's in episode 8, light axe or light morning star? we already have the light slingshot in rebels.

The concept art makes me think everyone sat in a room and talked about how to one up Darth mauls double light saber with sketches on a whiteboard and they came up with this. I laughed.

Hopefully the execution is better? I don't know...

Stop trying to one up the lightsaber. All we had in the originals were standard single blades, and guess what? They were completely badass. Just knock it off.

shield

Stop trying to one up the lightsaber. All we had in the originals were standard single blades, and guess what? They were completely badass. Just knock it off.

Totally agree. I was down with Darth Maul's saber when Episode I came out, but since then all the additions like Ezra's blaster hilt and the Inquisitor's spinning thing come across as gimmicky to me.

But i'll probably get over it

How do you not cut your hand off with that thing?

I still like my quadrosaber concept better.

bLwJ0Ag.png

I'll admit that Lucas was right to call the nipplesabers impractical.

Metalmarc

Dont like that sword, and the potato quality pic makes him look like the black knight from monty python

Hope this isn't abrams attempt at "jedi Knight" style pun, make a sith like a "knight' lets make a medieval type saber for one of our charachters

Just because GOT is popular on T.V and steampunk the cool thing, doesnt mean it belongs in the SW universe.

I'm not totally opposed to the new lightsaber really. The whole design of character doesn't seem menacing at all to me, but instead appears to be heavily influenced by the traditional medieval knight. You've got the metallic armor, the cape, the hood, and the sword. That lightsaber design is clearly based on an arming/knights sword with a cruciform hilt. Having the crossguard be lightsaberish like the blade would make sense if the goal of the crossguard is to guard the hand from lightsabers, if you catch my drift. It looks like it would be insane to wield of course.

I've heard talk that this concept has been paired with the chrome troopers, which would certainly be in line with the idea of a knight commander. Perhaps a zealous and loyal space knight hellbent on pursuing an errant/AWOL solider? Sounds a bit like Brienne of Tarth in space...

if that's seriously a revan rip-off (and there's no reference to him at all), and the lightsaber IS real...

then JJ's already lettin' me down

Guy.brush

Seeing those little mini-maul double lightsaber guard things I sense something...something I haven't felt since ...
General Grievous 4 lightsaber shite design.

As others have said: Don't try to one up the lightsaber. That road leads to the prequels, the prequels lead to anger, anger leads to hate and hate leads to SUFFFFFERING.

liquidtmd

Banned
I've been out of the loop on here for a while and really, really know Wikipedia is probably the worst place to look at info on but on his Wiki page it says Gleeson is playing a Ben Skywalker?

Rubbish, rumoured or actually semi confirmed?

Again Wikipedia, I know I know

So I had been thinking about the solo Obi-wan movie rumors/speculation and yesterday I read an interview about the last Rebels episode that got me thinking.

Dumb question but im wondering how would you guys feel about the potential movie somehow involving Ahsoka and definitively wrapping her story up?

Cheebo

Banned
So I had been thinking about the solo Obi-wan movie rumors/speculation and yesterday I read an interview about the last Rebels episode that got me thinking.

Dumb question but im wondering how would you guys feel about the potential movie somehow involving Ahsoka and definitively wrapping her story up?
Clone Wars only was seen by a small niche of fans. There really isn't a market for movies tied to the animated series. If we ever see Ashoka again it will be in Rebels likely.

maharg

idspispopd
Clone Wars only was seen by a small niche of fans. There really isn't a market for movies tied to the animated series. If we ever see Ashoka again it will be in Rebels likely.

People always say this, but it doesn't make much sense. Including Ahsoka in the films, or even making one centering on her, doesn't mean requiring the audience to know her backstory in intimate detail. Star Wars has always been all about the in media res.

Also, this is a franchise where there are two characters with approximately one line each who are immensely popular among fans in spite of no actual character depth.

jelly

The new lightsaber seems odd. One person using it would surely leave the other open to injury as they can't stop with their own. If it gets used that is and isn't just eye candy.

Im not a big fan of hers but if it was incorporated into an Obi-Wan movie I don't think it would be a problem with her being niche.
She is one of the few remaining Jedi and Anakin's padawan(thus a reason for Obi-Wan to specifically save her), all the general audience would need to know.
I do agree if it was a movie or something just about her it wouldn't do well.

She could just be a minor side thing or the whole thing could be Obi-Wan trying to save her before Vader trys to recruit her or something.

CD'S BAR

Isn't that JJ to a T, competent and bad imatator.

I think JJ is okay as choice for director but I'm a bit worried about him being co-writer. His resume in that department doesn't instill much confidence...Joyride, MI3, Super 8 are his most notable films. I honestly think Episode VIII will turn out to be the better film with Rian Johnson writing and directing.

I think JJ is okay as choice for director but I'm a bit worried about him being co-writer. His resume in that department doesn't instill much confidence...Joyride, MI3, Super 8 are his most notable films. I honestly think Episode VIII will turn out to be the better film with Rian Johnson writing and directing.

those aren't his most notable films as a screenwriter, though.

Regarding Henry, Armageddon, and Mission Impossible III are more highly regarded. Although Joyride was a pretty decent genre exercise. Been a long time since I've seen it though, I might be remembering it more fondly than it really plays.

Plus there's his work on Alias & Felicity.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
People always say this, but it doesn't make much sense. Including Ahsoka in the films, or even making one centering on her, doesn't mean requiring the audience to know her backstory in intimate detail. Star Wars has always been all about the in media res.

Also, this is a franchise where there are two characters with approximately one line each who are immensely popular among fans in spite of no actual character depth.
I guess if you think about it, Boba Fett also first appeared in a cartoon which only a tiny fraction of the viewers of the films had seen.

CD'S BAR

those aren't his most notable films as a screenwriter, though.

Regarding Henry, Armageddon, and Mission Impossible III are more highly regarded. Although Joyride was a pretty decent genre exercise. Been a long time since I've seen it though, I might be remembering it more fondly than it really plays.

Plus there's his work on Alias & Felicity.

I did list Mission Impossible 3, and while highly regarded is obviously a matter of opinion both Regarding Henry and Armageddon seem to have been received pretty poorly.

I do remember Joyride being pretty good though, I agree.

I did list Mission Impossible 3, and while highly regarded is obviously a matter of opinion both Regarding Henry and Armageddon seem to have been received pretty poorly.

I do remember Joyride being pretty good though, I agree.

Yeah, I conflated "Notable" with "highly regarded" which is what you ACTUALLY said though, so that's my bad.

I mean, you coulda called out "Gone Fishin" and "Takin' Care of Business." :)

Or the Superman: Fly By script.

CD'S BAR

Yeah, I conflated "Notable" with "highly regarded" which is what you ACTUALLY said though, so that's my bad.

I mean, you coulda called out "Gone Fishin" and "Takin' Care of Business." :)

Or the Superman: Fly By script.

No worries. I didn't even notice the difference in terms when I quoted you.

At any rate, I do appreciate the mystery element he seems to be adding to this movie with the grave robber and who knows what else. You know there's going to be some crazy twist in this movie even if it's not the Luke thing.. Star Wars needs that again. Everything that happened in the prequels was so predictable. I know the general aspects of the story were known even before the movies were made but for example Lucas could've done something really cool and mysterious with hiding the fact that Chancellor Palpatine was actually the Emperor. Instead it's pretty damn obvious even before the first movie is over.

I'm betting the twist is two-fold.

1) we're not going to know Driver is the bad guy until late in the movie.
2) Luke is going to do something unexpected and not altogether "light side" to handle business at the end.

Top Bottom