• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

jelly

Hope Simon Pegg doesn't stand out if he has a cameo, don't like him much in films.

Wrapped up already. Can't wait for the first trailer.

Hope Simon Pegg doesn't stand out if he has a cameo, don't like him much in films.

Wrapped up already. Can't wait for the first trailer.
He just doesn't belong in a star wars film. All you would see is Simon Pegg, and not whatever character he is playing (or not) in the film. It would be distracting.

Don't know if this is posted yet:

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/11/star-wars-episode-vii-state-luke-skywalker/

Bucket of salt obviously, but sounds pretty interesting if true. Seems like a way to dip into the "Evil Luke" possibility, but then pull him back at the end.

It's total speculation, just like the "Luke is the cyborg" BS he posted, but at least this one makes sense in the context of his character and would make for compelling followup story.

That's really what this is about after all. "Why do we need to revisit these characters again? What do we need to add that won't take away from what we have already?" This could be a good area to focus that we haven't really gotten from Luke before.

great so episode VII is going to make me sit through 2.5 hours of nostalgia tripping over the OG cast. id realy love for them to have a brief role and the film move on to the new characters, but i know this wont happen. gotta sell those Skywalker, solo, and chewy metch to the kiddies on more time. say ehat you will about the prequels, but at least you got all new faces leading those films from the get go. this obsession with luke and hans storyline is boring, i already sw three films starring those dudes. time for SW to move on, thats one of the many reasons clone wars was so good as a tv show, it wasnt bogged down with all the OG trilogy shit.

I may have just gotten an opportunity to see some stuff from VII. Fingers crossed!

When? Like... This week?

I... I haven't had time to mentally prepare for this.
will watch teaser trailer over and over

Don't know if this is posted yet:

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/11/star-wars-episode-vii-state-luke-skywalker/

Bucket of salt obviously, but sounds pretty interesting if true. Seems like a way to dip into the "Evil Luke" possibility, but then pull him back at the end.

The stuff posted on that site seems really dodgy

TheXbox

great so episode VII is going to make me sit through 2.5 hours of nostalgia tripping over the OG cast. id realy love for them to have a brief role and the film move on to the new characters, but i know this wont happen. gotta sell those Skywalker, solo, and chewy metch to the kiddies on more time. say ehat you will about the prequels, but at least you got all new faces leading those films from the get go. this obsession with luke and hans storyline is boring, i already sw three films starring those dudes. time for SW to move on, thats one of the many reasons clone wars was so good as a tv show, it wasnt bogged down with all the OG trilogy shit.
From everything we've heard it sounds like Han is the only OT character who gets a ton of screen time. Ridley and Boyega are the leads. Finding Luke is apparently a major - if not the major - plot point but that doesn't necessarily mean we see a ton of him. In fact, the above rumor implies the opposite.

The prequels also relied pretty heavily on OT pandering. Like, too much.

I may have just gotten an opportunity to see some stuff from VII. Fingers crossed!

1098.gif

Was this random generated from a weighted average of words used in any given Star Wars discussion?

I expected to see a teaser by the end of this year, more like Christmas time. To see one this month, even if it's around Thanksgiving, would be exciting.

I can watch the prequels now and enjoy them. Part of that was watching Clone Wars and realizing what the movies were: live action cartoons and fairy tales of democracy falling.

There's still a lot about them that is annoying but they still have amazing spaceships, ObiWan, lightsabers and R2/C3PO.

As long as we get light sabers, cool ships and R2/C3PO I'm going to enjoy the new movies.
*shrugs*

I love this starship from Episode I:
RepublicCruiserland.jpg

and I'm really excited to see the new X-Wings and starships in action

Blader

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...-episode-7-is-better-than-empire-strikes-back

I've been covering movies online since the days when the "Star Wars: Special Editions" were only a rumor. During the production of "The Phantom Menace," I had a lot of contact with people working on and around the film, and if I had to characterize the attitude that most of them had, it was "I don't know what we're making." There were plenty of people who seemed nervous about various elements or characters or ideas in what they were making. This time around, every single thing I've heard has been, "Holy cow, I think we're doing this right," and this Tweet from Daniels is just the most public example of that.

Yeah, I'll have what Anthony Daniels is smoking. Better than Empire? I'm relatively positive about what I've seen/heard, but that comment is setting up for disappointment.

I can't believe Anthony Daniels. I expect a fun time but I can't allow myself to be so hyped that the movie doesn't match my expectations.

Empire Strikes Back is a high bar....

TheXbox

Speaking of Daniels, add R2 and 3PO to the list with Leia as hearing absolutely nothing about what they will be doing.
What about Andy Serkis, though? Have we heard anything about why he's in this movie? That was the most exciting casting announcement to me, but I have no idea how he fits into this. I hope he's not doing a CG mocap thing, but I suppose that's probably what it is.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yeah, while it's pretty notable that we're not getting a title or a plot synopsis that's sourced from anything stronger than pre-production art and a secondhand description of the 2nd draft, what's MORE impressive is that we don't know anything about that first spinoff AT ALL. Whitta was just tweeting the other day he's still cranking out the script.

I mean, they're gonna have to start shooting the thing sometime around next spring, right?

Come on, man. I know you know what that means... that surefire recipe for success called shooting without a finished script.

Man.

For as much shit as Lucas got for his writing (and rightfully so) I don't think there was EVER a Star Wars movie that went into production without a finished script. So at least he got THAT part right. Don't start the movie until the script is done.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Man.

For as much shit as Lucas got for his writing (and rightfully so) I don't think there was EVER a Star Wars movie that went into production without a finished script. So at least he got THAT part right. Don't start the movie until the script is done.

Off the top of my head, movies that started without a complete script:

Iron Man
Lord of the Rings
Casablanca
Jaws

It doesn't really mean shit other than they may be writing the characters to fit the actors better.

It doesn't really mean shit other than they may be writing the characters to fit the actors better.

It absolutely "means shit."

Are you actually trying to advocate that a movie should start production without having it's fucking script in order?

Why?

(Fellowship actually had finished, completed shooting drafts when it started. Rewrites != incomplete screenplay. Plus that production is unique in almost all of film for how it was carried out.)

Iron Man got by on sheer force of personality, Casablanca was a filmmaking miracle, and Jaws... I'm not sure Jaws didn't have a finished screenplay either.

Plus, you're cherrypicking like crazy. I'm pretty sure there's an exponentially higher number of counterexamples where the production started with 2/3rds of a script at best and the movie absolutely suffered as a result.

Get your script right. THEN start shooting. There's no real reason not to if you don't have to.

Blader

Man.

heh, makes all the difference when the writer/director actually owns the rights to the movie he's making!

Bobby, I'm almost certain that Revenge of the Sith was being written as it was being filmed...although it could have been rewritten. Trying to find the "Secret History of Star Wars" article that talked about this...

As if that's supposed to make us feel better lololololol

Bobby, I'm almost certain that Revenge of the Sith was being written as it was being filmed...although it could have been rewritten. Trying to find the "Secret History of Star Wars" article that talked about this...

As if that's supposed to make us feel better lololololol

It feels like episode 2 & 3 were written this way. Episode 1 is the only one of the prequels that seems thought out, despite the result.

From everything we've heard it sounds like Han is the only OT character who gets a ton of screen time. Ridley and Boyega are the leads. Finding Luke is apparently a major - if not the major - plot point but that doesn't necessarily mean we see a ton of him. In fact, the above rumor implies the opposite.

The prequels also relied pretty heavily on OT pandering. Like, too much.

very true, i think i didn't mind as much because i didnt have to see Luke, Han, or Chewy. but yeah ill be cool with that rumored plot line if most of the OG cast is used in moderation. definitely interested ti see Ridley and Boyega portray new SW characters, hopefully new jedis too.

Top Bottom