• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Back in the day people paid to watch Meet Joe Black just to see the trailer for Phantom Menace. Disney should do the same with this trailer, put it into some movie they don't expect to make big bucks on, and then don't release the trailer online for like a week. They don't need to get the trailer in front of millions of eyes immediately, the movie's going to make bank even if they don't release any trailers at all.

I had to go see Wing Commander because the Phantom Menace teaser was supposedly attached. Sat through that entire piece of crap (including the credits) and they never played the trailer.

Blader

I definitely remember seeing Wing Commander in theaters. Even worse, I'm pretty sure we were there to actually see the movie...

maharg

idspispopd
Back in the day people paid to watch Meet Joe Black just to see the trailer for Phantom Menace. Disney should do the same with this trailer, put it into some movie they don't expect to make big bucks on, and then don't release the trailer online for like a week. They don't need to get the trailer in front of millions of eyes immediately, the movie's going to make bank even if they don't release any trailers at all.

I don't honestly think this is an effective strategy anymore. No matter what they do it'll be online somehow pretty much right away, and that's probably enough to tide people over until it gets more broadly attached or comes out officially.

Moff

the force theme is always great, binary sunset made me fall in love with this franchise

but I would have bet a lot on hamill being in the teaser, that would make the audience cheer. guess I would have lost that one.

obin_gam

back in the day, people didnt have cameras connected to youtube instantly.

graffix13

I had to go see Wing Commander because the Phantom Menace teaser was supposedly attached. Sat through that entire piece of crap (including the credits) and they never played the trailer.

Heh. I still remember going to see Monsters, Inc. JUST to see the Attack of the Clones trailer. My plan was just to leave after the trailer because I didn't want to sit through some stupid Pixar cartoon movie. I changed my mind and decided to stay because I didn't want to waste my money on just the trailers.

A good decision. Monsters, Inc. is probably my favorite Pixar movie to this day.

Metalmarc

I wonder if we will get a full length trailer for star wars next may?

going by the release of the avengers 2 full trailer. That came out with 7 months to go until the film gets released. Based on that i wonder id the full star wars trailer therefore will be attached to avengers 2 next may.

6 months from now is not that long really.

Heh. I still remember going to see Monsters, Inc. JUST to see the Attack of the Clones trailer. My plan was just to leave after the trailer because I didn't want to sit through some stupid Pixar cartoon movie. I changed my mind and decided to stay because I didn't want to waste my money on just the trailers.

A good decision. Monsters, Inc. is probably my favorite Pixar movie to this day.

That would have been a big mistake. Monsters Inc. is great.

Lots of potential details here

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/11/rumor-force-awakens-trailer-synopsis.html

Next, Jason Ward from Making Star Wars posted a more detailed description of the trailer per information from one of his sources.

Fade in from black, shots of the dunes, Boyega pops in to the shot from below. He’s wearing white Stormtrooper armor but he doesn’t have a helmet on.
In the teaser we only see Boyega and Ridley really.
Ridley boards a speeder.
She has a helmet on like Endor Leia, a design with pop-down goggles.
A shot of Ridley’s speeder approaching the station (the TMZ set we saw).
We see the new Stormtroopers on a transport. The flight is turbulent.
New X-wings.
TIE Fighters.
The new ball droid that’s a gyroscope and belongs to “Kira.”
The new “Sith” is also revealed. He has a cross-beam lightsaber and the beam is a bit wilder and more super-charged than your normal lightsaber.
The Falcon.

Nekofrog

Banned

this is a dumb strategy because only dedicated fans of the franchise will go to a movie just to see the trailer

debut it on network television and blammo you have everyone seeing it, from plebs who didn't even know there was a new star wars movie coming out to the hardcore and everyone in between.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.

One of my coolest Star Wars theater moments was getting to see Attack of the Clones in one the early digital projection theaters. Before the show started, the theater staff walked down the aisles to the front of the theater. They all held up film reals and the main guy announces, "The age of film is dead," and the staff all started rolling the rolls of film down the aisle. I was on the aisle and grabbed it, and realized it was actual film from one of the episode II trailers. I snipped off a section and kept it. If only the movie had held up to that moment. :)

I'm not opposed to the lightsaber crossguard- in fact, I think it's a rather shrewd attempt at creating this trilogy's "double-bladed lightsaber" moment. Lightsabers already defy the laws of physics and seemingly stop at an arbitrary length, so the idea of having smaller blades perpendicular to the main one isn't that absurd.

Moreover, I like how they are incorporating European medieval influences. It would be cool if this dude had some sort of lightshield to really double down on the concept (which would also hark back to McQuarrie's stormtrooper shields.)

I'm not opposed to the lightsaber crossguard- in fact, I think it's a rather shrewd attempt at creating this trilogy's "double-bladed lightsaber" moment. Lightsabers already defy the laws of physics and seemingly stop at an arbitrary length, so the idea of having smaller blades perpendicular to the main one isn't that absurd.

Moreover, I like how they are incorporating European medieval influences. It would be cool if this dude had some sort of lightshield to really double down on the concept (which would also hark back to McQuarrie's stormtrooper shields.)

Damn, a lightshield done well would really be a great concept

Nekofrog

Banned
i don't want anymore movies that involve established canonical (film) characters set before the period of ROTJ.

just who cares, we know what happens already so any story you can tell isn't going to be worth telling

if you have to do a story set in the past make it free of film limitations and set it 50000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 years ago

Suppose that isn't even a lightsaber. The Sith are gone, right? So, if anything, I'd imagine that isn't a lightsaber but rather some sort of imitation used by people who wish they were Sith.

these spinoffs sounding lame as hell right now. relatively new directors who probably are going to be run marvel-style. yoda, boba fett, mace windu. yawn.

probably just gonna stick to the main-line trilogy in theaters unless these spinoffs turn out really good.

Kettch

I won't believe a Mace Windu spin-off until a recast is announced. He was probably the most miscast character I've ever seen. And at that point, why even do a movie of him. So there's no way that's happening.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Suppose that isn't even a lightsaber. The Sith are gone, right? So, if anything, I'd imagine that isn't a lightsaber but rather some sort of imitation used by people who wish they were Sith.

Well, its expanded universe and not longer existent, but there were not only Sith who used the dark side and used lightsabers. Also, the Sith were extinct for some decades before a Skywalker was tempted by the dark side and became a sith.

Well, its expanded universe and not longer existent, but there were not only Sith who used the dark side and used lightsabers. Also, the Sith were extinct for some decades before a Skywalker was tempted by the dark side and became a sith.
I know, but I figured that after Sidious and Vader went down, there were no more Sith in the universe, and thus no one else who can handle a real red lightsaber anymore. The new bad guys, then, aren't really Sith but pretend to be, so they make their own lightsaber-like laser sword, which is why it's all weird.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Mace Windu?
much rather have Obi-Wan.

Both of them turned out to be pretty boring non-characters under the Prequels.

Personally... I'm more interested in this series because of the bravado of Han Solo, or even Luke or Leia ("someone has to save our skins!!").

Those dry prequel era Jedis were like stoic accountants with laser swords.

A Windu movie? Three films of his doings aren't enough. Let's have a movie set around just how he became so inept. I hope we get to hear his popular catchphrase: "I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi."

Hype level: purple.

BocoDragon

A Windu movie? Three films of his doings aren't enough. Let's have a movie set around just how he became so inept. I hope we get to hear his popular catchphrase: "I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi."

Hype level: purple.

I hope there are scenes of him holding his hands in a Mr. Burns-like mudra, and thinking about things with a concerned look.

Both of them turned out to be pretty boring non-characters under the Prequels.

Personally... I'm more interested in this series because of the bravado of Han Solo, or even Luke or Leia ("someone has to save our skins!!").

Those dry prequel era Jedis were like stoic accountants with laser swords.
Eh,
Obi-Wan I felt was the best part of the prequels but I can understand that complaint.
However I feel Obi-Wan just has the most potential for a spinoff movie, they just have so many directions they could go.

Han who is probably my favorite SW character feels pretty well covered atm.

After 6 seasons of Clone Wars I actually don't like Mace at all anymore.

Boba Fett would be great though as long as that speculated "New Boba" stuff was BS.

BocoDragon

Eh,
Obi-Wan I felt was the best part of the prequels, but I can understand that complaint.
However I feel Obi-Wan just has the most potential for a spinoff movie, they just have so many directions they could go.

Han who is probably my favorite SW character feels pretty well covered atm.

After 6 seasons of Clone Wars I actually don't like Mace at all anymore.

I would only "sort of want" an Obi Wan film if it were closer to the Guinness portrayal than McGregor.

And it's not even McGregor's fault that Obi Wan was in that different direction (it was due to Lucas' lack of understanding about human emotion). He could even play the character! I think he can do it. But he would need to be reaching for that Guinness character, the wise sage, more than the dry British general of the prequels and Clone Wars.

Prequel/Clone Wars Obi Wan just feels to me like this pompous, emotionless lecturer.... while ANH Obi is this wise, lovable sage.

I would prefer Obi-Wan over Mace. I wasn't a fan of Mace in the prequels, probably because it was actually just Sam Jackson, but Mace in the original Clone Wars series was fantastic.

Prequel/Clone Wars Obi Wan just feels to me like this pompous, emotionless lecturer.... while ANH Obi is this wise, lovable sage.

That goes right back to the fact that the Jedi in the prequels were all trained to be stoic and emotionless but when they got their asses kicked and Qui-Gon re-adjusted Yoda and Obi-Wan's perception of the Force and how Jedi should be, that's why they have personality shifts between the prequels and originals. Many complain about it and think it's some kind of flaw, but I firmly believe it to be 100% intentional. They're the same characters, but what happened in the prequels plus that 30 year or so gap full of Qui-Gon's communication and enlightenment changed them into what they are in the originals.

Top Bottom