• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

It seems like Regal Cinemas jumped the gun on the announcement, but the trailer will debut this weekend!

This Friday, the world premiere of Star Wars Episode VII trailer will be revealed at select North America theatres.

Be one of the first to experience the trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens at the following Regal locations. The trailer will debut before all movies starting November 28 - November 30.
State City Theatre Name
CA Irvine Edwards Irvine Spectrum 22 & IMAX
CA San Diego Edwards Mira Mesa Stadium 18 IMAX & RPX
GA Atlanta Regal Atlantic Station Stadium 18 IMAX & RPX
IL Chicago Regal City North Stadium 14 IMAX & RPX
NY New York Regal Union Square Stadium 14
PA Warrington Regal Warrington Crossing Stadium 22 & IMAX
TN Knoxville Regal Pinnacle Stadium 18 IMAX & RPX
TX Houston Edwards Houston Marq'E Stadium 23 IMAX & RPX
WA Seattle Regal Thornton Place Stadium 14 & IMAX

http://www.regmovies.com/Home/promotions/Star-Wars-Trailer-Debut

Cheebo

Banned
You really think they won't put it online either Thanksgiving Day sometime during the weekend?

"This Friday, the world premiere of Star Wars Episode VII trailer will be revealed at select North America theatres."

They clearly are not putting it online before this.

Rootbeer

Banned
My estimate turned out to be right... sort of. I thought they might try to get it out the door before black friday to boost SW holiday merch sales. Turns out it will be directly on black friday? Close enough; I'll take it.

Also the trailer will be in front of EVERY MOVIE at those locations? Damn, son. So that rumor from earlier turned out to be true as well!

"This Friday, the world premiere of Star Wars Episode VII trailer will be revealed at select North America theatres."

They clearly are not putting it online before this.

I think they will post it online sometime Friday (but hopefully on Thurs.) It's possible that Regal has a theatrical viewing exclusive for the weekend.

I think the reasoning is multifold. Disney is rushing this trailer out for the very important holiday weekend. They want SW on people's minds as they go into the biggest spending month of the year. That's no question. Also: Regal as a partner makes some sense, because as a frequent moviegoer you see a lot of these trailer/preview exclusives at Regal cinemas for some reason. Much more so than at AMC or other chains, at least based on my experience.

And the reason they are doing it in such a limited way is probably due to this super short timeframe. Disney has only just finished this trailer so even with digital technology they can't get it everywhere it would need to be in time, so instead it's just going to be limited and there will be a more standard trailer rollout to theaters in the coming 1 to 2 weeks.

inm8num2

Spinoff rumor alert.

We’ve heard the 2016 Star Wars spin-off movie is about the group of people out to pull off the ultimate heist in a galaxy far, far away.

What the group is trying to steal is one of the most important linchpins in Star Wars history — they are out to steal the plans for the first Death Star.

That’s right, the story is set during the A New Hope era. However, it’s not the Rebel Alliance as we’d all assumed.

As rumor has it, the story follows a group of bounty hunters who were hired for the job — think the Seven Samurai or Suicide Squad meets Ocean’s Eleven in the world of Star Wars.

More discussion and thoughts at the link. G. Whitta, if you are reading feel free to confirm or deny. ;)

Gary-Whitta-Gareth-Edwards-Star-Wars-550x412.jpg

thefro

So Kyle Katarn live action? He was part of that mission wasn't he?

Yeah, he'd seem to be the obvious choice for a lead (or a character based on him). The backstory works. Instead of stealing the plans by himself, he'd be hired by the Rebels as the leader of a team of bounty hunters trying to break in.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah, he'd seem to be the obvious choice for a lead (or a character based on him). The backstory works. Instead of stealing the plans by himself, he'd be hired by the Rebels as the leader of a team of bounty hunters trying to break in.
EU was scrapped guys.... There is no Kyle Kataran anymore. I highly doubt they will reinvent him for a movie he isn't even a well known character.

prag16

Banned
What in the world. How did I never realize this topic existed. Only had that old "preproduction" thread on my radar. Guess I dont' come over to the OT side as much as I used to.

Subscribed.

Can't wait for this.

prag16

Banned
Haven't they already been heavily hinting that this will happen on Rebels?

They probably need something like that to give Rebels some credibility. Because so far (small sample size admittedly) it's not exactly the most compelling thing I've ever seen. It's watchable, but to give it some weight, having them involved in the acquisition of the Death Star plans would make sense.

They really need to have this thing online before then.

Not just because I'm impatient (I am) but because its guaranteed this ad they've been working on for over a month now is going to essentially "premiere" via potatophone if they don't.

Simo

Not just because I'm impatient (I am) but because its guaranteed this ad they've been working on for over a month now is going to essentially "premiere" via potatophone if they don't.

The actual tweet says "THANKSGIVING" along with the photo. Maybe it'll debut online Thursday and then in theaters over the weekend? I hope so anyway.

Moff

but isnt that part of the hype? cellphones recording a hysterical audience clapping at everything?

oddly enough, I dont care much about that teaser, the descriptions sound so uninteresting. but of course I will watch it asap.

Spinoff rumor alert.

More discussion and thoughts at the link. G. Whitta, if you are reading feel free to confirm or deny. ;)

Gary-Whitta-Gareth-Edwards-Star-Wars-550x412.jpg

He's never going to comment on it. Did you hear him on the last Tested podcast he appeared on? They barely mentioned Star Wars and then moved on. I guess he really doesn't want to piss Disney off. At the same time, it would've been nice if he talked about how he got the job. Rian Johnson has been super open about his Episode 8 involvement, but I guess he's more established so he doesn't have to be afraid of saying the wrong thing.

In fact, I sadly doubt if he will ever come back to GAF. I enjoyed reading his posts on here, but seems like he was spooked after people started pointing out he edited all of the posts in where he said negative things about Lucas.

but isnt that part of the hype? cellphones recording a hysterical audience clapping at everything?.

That hype really isn't worth shit compared to people being able to easily/readily see it without having to hop from busted link to busted link.

It's going to leak. Guaranteed. Just get out ahead of it. You'll reach more people and engender more goodwill that way.

Metalmarc

According to comicbook site

http://comicbook.com/2014/11/24/star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-confirmed-to-debut-on-novemb/

The first trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens will debut, at select Regal theaters locations, on Friday, November 28.

The trailer will be shown in front of all movies, at these select locations, from November 28-30.

Here’s a list of the locations where you can catch the trailer:

State
City
Theatre Name
CA
Irvine
Edwards Irvine Spectrum 22 & IMAX
CA
San Diego
Edwards Mira Mesa Stadium 18 IMAX & RPX
GA
Atlanta
Regal Atlantic Station Stadium 18 IMAX & RPX
IL
Chicago
Regal City North Stadium 14 IMAX & RPX
NY
New York
Regal Union Square Stadium 14
PA
Warrington
Regal Warrington Crossing Stadium 22 & IMAX
TN
Knoxville
Regal Pinnacle Stadium 18 IMAX & RPX
TX
Houston
Edwards Houston Marq'E Stadium 23 IMAX & RPX
WA
Seattle
Regal Thornton Place Stadium 14 & IMAX
The Regal website does not mention that the trailer debut is exclusive, so its likely that other theater chains will announce their own trailer premiere locations soon.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens will open in theaters December 18, 2015.

graffix13

Excited to see just what it looks like. The select theaters thing makes zero sense to me.

I agree. I mean, it's naive to think in 2014 this won't be broadcasted all over the internet within minutes from some crappy cell phone video.

And it's not like we won't watch it, crappy quality or not. Give us the best version available.

Top Bottom