• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Moff

the moment this movie was revealed I expected them to show old bearded luke in the first teaser, preferably in front of a binary sunset. the audience would go nuts.

but yeah, doesnt look like that's what we're getting

the moment this movie was revealed I expected them to show old bearded luke in the first teaser, preferably in front of a binary sunset. the audience would go nuts.

but yeah, doesnt look like that's what we're getting

But that would be too much Nostalgia Pandering™

Cheebo

Banned
We are a year out I expect something along the lines of the Trek '09 teaser. All the trailer leaks/rumors have been it mostly being location shots and quick glimpses of Daisy Ridley and John Boyega's characters. Not expecting Luke or Han.

Cheebo

Banned
So basically we don't know when it will officially come online.

We know it will be in December, not thanksgiving. StarWars.com's press release said it will appear online and in other theaters beginning in December.

Guy's starwars7news.com is a nonsense website that makes stuff up constantly. I wouldn't link to it..

Just last sunday their headline was "UPDATE 3! EXCLUSIVE: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer to be Released with The Hobbit on December 17." lol.

Cheebo

Banned
Here is what we know 100% officially per Lucasfilm to get things clear:

- Teaser is 88 seconds long will premeire this weekend in 30 theaters.
- Teaser will be officially online "in December" so no not this week or weekend.
- Teaser will roll-out to other theaters in December as well.

Cheebo

Banned
The internet is going to be flooded with cam shots of the trailer come friday, makes sense.

Lucasfilm point blank stated yesterday the trailer will be online in December. There is no reason to think they would lie about that. Especially with them hyping that this 30 theater is an exclusive world premiere.

The internet is going to be flooded with cam shots of the trailer come friday, makes sense.

Lucasfilm point blank stated yesterday the trailer will be online in December. There is no reason to think they would lie about that. Especially with them hyping that this 30 theater is an exclusive world premiere.

December is Monday.

Here is what we know 100% officially per Lucasfilm to get things clear:

- Teaser is 88 seconds long will premeire this weekend in 30 theaters.
- Teaser will be officially online "in December" so no not this week or weekend.
- Teaser will roll-out to other theaters in December as well.

Do you have links for the bolded? The statement at starwars.com and on JJ's twitter actually don't use the words premiere, exclusive, only, or anything that specifies the theater is the sole way you're going to see it.

I also couldn't find where starwars.com or any other Lucasfilm source said the online version would be up only after the weekend was over.

the announcement on starwars.com DOES say that the teaser will roll out to other theaters after that weekend though.

Basically - they could have very easily said "ONLY IN THEATERS" at any point while promoting this thing, but they didn't.

Because they're probably also smart enough to realize there's no real marketing purpose to making sure the advertisement you're about to show people is first seen through a bootlegged potatophone.

(Hopefully, at least)

Either way, come Thursday or Friday morning, someone will have stolen this thing and put it online.

Cheebo

Banned
I thought this line had online as well as theaters woops.
"Following this weekend, the tease can be seen in theaters around the world this December.".

I still will be shocked if officially online before the weekend is up. Obviously we will have tons of bootlegs though.

JJ tweet the other day had Thanksgiving underlined right?
B3Oh-nhCIAAyW8z.jpg

The tweet itself was just the word THANKSGIVING. The picture attached says you can see it in theaters on Friday.

I mean, I'm parsing words like a motherfucker here, but I doubt I'm parsing them any more thoroughly than the people releasing them - and so far as I can tell, they've never actually said the only way you're going to see this teaser over the weekend is at those 30 theaters.

They've simply said these are the 30 theaters in the country who will have the teaser.

That doesn't mean the rest of us won't have an official version to look at on our device of choice before that Friday.

edit: Thanks for the clarification Cheebs. Wasn't sure if I'd missed something. :)

mjc

I'd bet solid money that they put something out there on Thanksgiving. With how quickly the Ultron teaser when up after being leaked...yeah I'm thinking that's the case. They know people are gonna cam the teaser in theaters this weekend, might as well release it wholesale.

btrboyev

Don't understand putting it exclusively in theaters in this day and age, that shit will posted online on Friday by someone and nobody will wait to watch a high quality video.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This feels lose-lose to me. If you watch the inevitable cam version, you'll be having a subpar experience. But if you wait for the official release, then you'll have missed the initial buzz.

Eh, it's a way to generate hype. I'm sure it's just a timed exclusive and the trailer that everyone will see will be in front of the last Hobbit movie or something.

This feels lose-lose to me. If you watch the inevitable cam version, you'll be having a subpar experience. But if you wait for the official release, then you'll have missed the initial buzz.

Star Wars makes it own buzz and hype. There is no lose lose for them in this trailer scenario.

Rootbeer

Banned
can't wait for the crappy cam version since we may have to wait several days for it to appear online, yay... thanks Disney

(still holding my breath that it'll go online Thurs/Fri)

liquidtmd

Banned

Nah.

Those who are that desperate to see it will get an absolute buzz from seeing the shaky cam version ala Episode 1 and the audience hype. And then re-enjoy and watch it a a lot when it comes out officially online.

The rest of the world who would like to see it but aren't that desperate will happily wait a week or so.

glaurung

If JJ would really want to make the fans happy, he'd also release the footage on YT in 4K.

This exclusivity and select theatres thing sucks, and I am not looking forward to seeing the clip in shaky, shitty phone cam quality.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
If JJ would really want to make the fans happy, he'd also release the footage on YT in 4K.

This exclusivity and select theatres thing sucks, and I am not looking forward to seeing the clip in shaky, shitty phone cam quality.

As someone who does not live in america, I hate this "in selected theaters" shit.

Moff

well they obviously want it to an event. a simple YouTube release would be common and boring.
but showing it in so few theatres is really bad and certainly not "something big"

Let's not forget that Disney is the same company that put's stuff in "the disney vault" for years to make something seem scarce i.e. more valuable.

Top Bottom