• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't really buy into the "it's Vader's saber rebuilt by some one who doesn't quite understand it" theory many are going with. The saber has an extended hilt for the cross guard. I just can't imagine anyone rebuilding Vader's saber with such an addition.

Much more likely it's an ancient Sith artifact and perhaps the force of its original master is still present around it and it possesses Han's son. Why else would Han's son turn Sith?

I posted a picture of Vader's saber and the lower part of the handle looks like it could be very similar but it's difficult to see, it seems to have the same long bands on it, but that overall part is shorter.

For the second question, it's not about becoming a "Sith", just falling to the dark side. That can happen in situations of desperation. Luke was hoping to save his friends as he fell toward the dark side, Han's son could be desperately trying to find the power Luke/Vader had but which he himself feels he doesn't have. That's all he needs to fall to the dark side.

I posted a picture of Vader's saber and the lower part of the handle looks like it could be very similar but it's difficult to see, it seems to have the same long bands on it, but that overall part is shorter.
Ok so the bottom part looks the same, how do you explain the cross guard addition to the hilt? For the record I like the cross guard, but if you have to scavenge for a lightsaber then it doesn't seem likely you'd make additions to it. And the cross guard doesn't exactly look like something that would accidentally happen while trying to repair.

prag16

Banned
So I'm thinking the plot goes something like this:

1- Luke has been away for 30 years.
2- Lea/Han/Rebels/good guys are in a dire situation due to some new threat or resurgence of the empire, whatever
3- Lea/Han's son, wanting to save them, goes out on his own looking for something/someone to turn things around.
4- This is felt as an "awakening" of the dark side, felt by Luke, which "awakens" Luke. Cue the awakening of both the dark and light side.

I'm guessing the cloaked figure is Solo's son and he has his grandad's sabre which he "fixed". The sabre's chaotic appearance symbolizes his attempt at rebuilding something he doesn't quite understands; he doesn't have good control of the force and it shows in how he built the sabre into something unique but somewhat dysfunctional and chaotic.
Seems fine as Driver's story. But the idea of Luke being in exile or otherwise totally out of it for decades seems kind of not good.

Hell, one of the alleged rumors claimed Like hadn't even seen Han/Leia since the end of Jedi. I mean come on. That sounds full retard.

Seems fine as Driver's story. But the idea of Luke being in exile or otherwise totally out of it for decades seems kind of not good.

Hell, one of the alleged rumors claimed Like hadn't even seen Han/Leia since the end of Jedi. I mean come on. That sounds full retard.

However another rumor was that Luke disappeared only about a decade before TFA, not right after ROTJ.

But back then being the lead in the first SW meant nothing. There was no pressure at all. Hamill wasn't great at first, but he stepped up his game later. One could say Christensen did the same, but the script was so bad it's hard to compare.

Watch other films Christensen was in. Shattered Glass for instance. Believe me, it just wasn't the script.

Watch other films Christensen was in. Shattered Glass for instance. Believe me, it just wasn't the script.

He might be even worse in Jumper.

But they had actually accomplished performers in that movie who couldn't get around Lucas' direction/scripting either, so its kinda a wash. Like, if this was your only exposure to Natalie Portman, you might think she was a pretty woman with THE WORLD'S SADDEST CRYING FACE.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok so the bottom part looks the same, how do you explain the cross guard addition to the hilt? For the record I like the cross guard, but if you have to scavenge for a lightsaber then it doesn't seem likely you'd make additions to it. And the cross guard doesn't exactly look like something that would accidentally happen while trying to repair.

Because Vader's sabre might have been broken, so he had to fix it and couldn't quite do it right, which made the sabre as it is. The guard is either for his own style of fighting, or a side-effect of his tinkering (without that maybe the sabre would be too long).

I explained in another thread (back in June, way before it was even rumored that Luke had been out for so long) why that was IMO the only possibility for Luke. Luke is the connection of the audience to Star Wars, so he's basically as out of it as we are, and he's also a savior-like figure, a bit like the king sleeping under the mountain.

My original post on this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116912981&postcount=111

Tookay

I think the recent rumors are that Luke disappeared 5-10 years ago after "something" happened. Now he's really strong with the Force but is afraid of using that power and it's driven him a little bit insane until this movie makes him "wake up."

Lucas doesn't have that mindset, nor does LucasFilms. Boyega got it because he was the best person for the role. You factor in that Variety said he was gong to be a Jedi months back, plus the concept art of the character he's playing and Ridley both holding lightsabers. And he will most likely be getting that Ridley love.

No way, it's not like the prequels were completely tonally schizophrenic from trying to appeal to every demographic that exists. The action slapstick grim youngling killing movie series for babies. No precedent whatsoever.

Off topic but I don't want to make a thread about it.

is anyone else getting super annoying full screen ads on GAF? They just pop up and take over my entire screen and start playing. Really pissing me off.

prag16

Banned
However another rumor was that Luke disappeared only about a decade before TFA, not right after ROTJ.

I think the recent rumors are that Luke disappeared 5-10 years ago after "something" happened. Now he's really strong with the Force but is afraid of using that power and it's driven him a little bit insane until this movie makes him "wake up."

Yeah, I saw that one too. Disappearing a decade or so before is a lot more agreeable than not having seen the crew since RotJ, which would have been ridiculous.

UrbanRats

He might be even worse in Jumper.

But they had actually accomplished performers in that movie who couldn't get around Lucas' direction/scripting either, so its kinda a wash. Like, if this was your only exposure to Natalie Portman, you might think she was a pretty woman with THE WORLD'S SADDEST CRYING FACE.

The worst i've seen him in, was that one flick with Jessica Alba where he's under surgery or some shit.
He was abysmal.

Cheebo

Banned
Off topic but I don't want to make a thread about it.

is anyone else getting super annoying full screen ads on GAF? They just pop up and take over my entire screen and start playing. Really pissing me off.
I thought at first I was accidentally clicking something but it's near nonstop for me. Glad I am not alone.

I don't really buy into the "it's Vader's saber rebuilt by some one who doesn't quite understand it" theory many are going with. The saber has an extended hilt for the cross guard. I just can't imagine anyone rebuilding Vader's saber with such an addition.

Much more likely it's an ancient Sith artifact and perhaps the force of its original master is still present around it and it possesses Han's son. Why else would Han's son turn Sith?

I don't think the lightsaber will be Vaders. I think it either got lost in the destruction of the 2nd Death Star or is owned by Luke. They seem like the only 2 logical outcomes for it. I don't think Luke would discard it or such, maybe dismantle it to study perhaps, but that's really it.

I don't think the lightsaber will be Vaders. I think it either got lost in the destruction of the 2nd Death Star or is owned by Luke. They seem like the only 2 logical outcomes for it. I don't think Luke would discard it or such, maybe dismantle it to study perhaps, but that's really it.

Yeah I doubt it's Vader's too. Ancient lightsaber to go with the Revan mask seen in leaks.

Luke's going to missing 15 years max. Probably meditating in a mountain trying to get himself centered. Maybe the voice over in the teaser is talking to him?

I really really doubt Luke has been gone for long if the rebellion is still fighting. He wouldn't abandon them to go try out the Yoda lifestyle for a while in the middle of a war.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I really really doubt Luke has been gone for long if the rebellion is still fighting. He wouldn't abandon them to go try out the Yoda lifestyle for a while in the middle of a war.

Unless he feels he is himself a bigger threat to his loved ones. It makes plenty of sense.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Maybe it can be implied that Yoda and Ben are communicating with Luke, but I don't really want to see or hear them.
That would be cool if everyone who catches wind of that is like "What a crazy old wizard..."

So the dude in black cloak was one of the "Jedi Hunters"/Inquisitors?

That sounds pretty neat tbh.
Perhaps they've been going about the galaxy trying to uphold the Empire and hunting down fledgling jedi using a weak-sauce version of the dark force, but now there's an awakening in the force (e.g. that chick on the bike) who has the potential to be the new ultimate hope - for both the light and the dark side.

So basically, you'll have an emo Twilight-esque "dark" brooding dude, an imperial scout sent to fetch the girl but ends up falling in love with her, and a strong-willed female locked in a love triangle.

Drawing in that tween girl crowd in addition to the boys who like big toys.

i know this concept art has been floating around for awhile. but with the idea that there is a gravedigger character who might be attempting to resurrect old sith. anyone else think this character in the second concept art with the lightsaber could be a sort of resurrected darth vader?

im looking at the dark figures head. and it sort of reminds me of darth vader with his helmet removed. we also had the concept art that showed the gravedigger holding vaders helmet. anyone else think the same thing.

ZZfmNgL.jpg

Daisy-Ridley-Dark-knight-II.jpeg

unmasked3.jpg

Wanderer5

I guess they will have more creative freedom making the official continuing storyline going forward with new trilogy and beyond.

Pretty much. I sure it would be quite a hassle to make this new trilogy with all the info and crap from the old EU in mind. Good that they ended up ditching the EU and starting fresh with more control too, maybe taking some cues from the now Legacy universe.

bengraven

Other than the romance parts, Attack is my favorite of the PT.

- Obi Wan's detective work
- beautiful shots of Naboo and Kamino
- sad reunion scenes on Tatooine
- battle between Yoda and Dooku
- battle between Obi Wan and Jango
- Natalie looked so cute, especially in her gladiator costume and that black thing she wore to dinner...

I don't know why people say Hamil wasn't good in ANH. I thought the character was as you'd expect him to be at that age, it gives him a real progression.

Didn't excuse the "Manakin", though. :p

2- Lea/Han/Rebels/good guys are in a dire situation due to some new threat or resurgence of the empire, whatever
3- Lea/Han's son, wanting to save them, goes out on his own looking for something/someone to turn things around.
4- This is felt as an "awakening" of the dark side, felt by Luke, which "awakens" Luke. Cue the awakening of both the dark and light side.

I'm guessing the cloaked figure is Solo's son and he has his grandad's sabre which he "fixed". The sabre's chaotic appearance symbolizes his attempt at rebuilding something he doesn't quite understands; he doesn't have good control of the force and it shows in how he built the sabre into something unique but somewhat dysfunctional and chaotic.

wierd...

I was thinking the Girl on that weird Toaster Vehicle thing was going to be Lea/Han's daughter and there is no son.

Forkball

So after the trailer I went digging for rumors.

Vader's helmet? Sith scavenger? The fuuuuuuuu

I want to see Christie in the imperial outfit though. She probably nails the look.

bengraven

I'm hoping she's a Lt. at first. Then someone fucks up hardcore in the end of the film, like Max Von Syndow, and the main sith guy is like:

"Do not fail me...ADMIRAL BRIENNE OF TARTH"
"Y-yes M'lord..."

wierd...

I was thinking the Girl on that weird Toaster Vehicle thing was going to be Lea/Han's daughter and there is no son.

I haven't heard jack about her actually being their daughter in a long time. If so, she might be estranged. Everything I hear she's working on her own on the side.

Metalmarc

i know this concept art has been floating around for awhile. but with the idea that there is a gravedigger character who might be attempting to resurrect old sith. anyone else think this character in the second concept art with the lightsaber could be a sort of resurrected darth vader?

im looking at the dark figures head. and it sort of reminds me of darth vader with his helmet removed. we also had the concept art that showed the gravedigger holding vaders helmet. anyone else think the same thing.

ZZfmNgL.jpg

Daisy-Ridley-Dark-knight-II.jpeg

unmasked3.jpg

Vader is dead though we saw his ghost, if anything i think thats gonna be the rumoured
Luke, and my take : see he has a robotic arm, yes his beard is missing but notice his eye piece maybe he gets killed as a jedi, or so we think but he is saved but slightly repaired, like vader at the end of rots, but maybe his memory has gone and he found the helmet and starts to slowly remember that vader is his father, maybe he gets lied to by the sith and told that Han killed his father, twisted in a rage Sith Lord Luke captures Daisy Ridley Charachter, who is han and leias daughter
spoilered just incase

graffix13

Yeah I think this will be pretty close...and I hope it is. Although I hope the cross guard saber is something of his (Driver's) own creation. An amateur attempt at creating a Jedi weapon. That would explain the unstable beam and just overall "junky" look to it.

The question I want to know is why Driver goes to the dark side (if it is Driver). Perhaps he is obsessed with his grandfather and the fact that he was the legendary chosen one. Once he starts digging he gets caught up in the downward spiral.

Top Bottom