• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I think this will be pretty close...and I hope it is. Although I hope the cross guard saber is something of his (Driver's) own creation. An amateur attempt at creating a Jedi weapon. That would explain the unstable beam and just overall "junky" look to it.

The question I want to know is why Driver goes to the dark side (if it is Driver). Perhaps he is obsessed with his grandfather and the fact that he was the legendary chosen one. Once he starts digging he gets caught up in the downward spiral.

Like I said in another reply, if Lea/Han/etc are in a dire situation and he feels he doesn't have the power to save them, you pretty much got your reason right there. It's basically Borromir's temptation, or Luke's at the end of ROTJ. He would be looking for someone or something to learn what no one is there to teach him. Luke's absence would be somewhat responsible for this.

graffix13

Like I said in another reply, if Lea/Han/etc are in a dire situation and he feels he doesn't have the power to save them, you pretty much got your reason right there. It's basically Borromir's temptation, or Luke's at the end of ROTJ. He would be looking for someone or something to learn what no one is there to teach him. Luke's absence would be somewhat responsible for this.

True. Leia maybe? I have heard nothing about her role yet, not even any sort of rumor. Maybe she gets captured early? I dunno.

graffix13

Is it possible that Han Solo will die (inadvertently) due to Driver's (misguided) actions, BUT Driver will blame Luke for it?

Yeah if he dies I hope it is by Driver's doing. I just don't like the thought of Luke accidentally killing him (like some rumors suggest).

I do think Han dies this movie.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I don't think Luke will kill Solo, accident or not. Just no.

But if Han Solo is killed, Luke will be blamed I think.

I also think if Luke has duel with Driver, Luke will inflict substantial damage leading to some robotic modifications for Driver in the sequels.

Is that the assassin chase scene from attack of the clones?

Yeah. Watch it again with what I said in mind. In fact a lot of Obi-Wan's scenes in that movie are filmed like that.

Is it possible that Han Solo will die (inadvertently) due to Driver's (misguided) actions, BUT Driver will blame Luke for it?

There's a good chance because there was a rumor of Luke, Han, and Driver's character in the woods with guns drawn.

Oh and the girl is going to be related to the Skywalkers. I know we like to act like any/all of Lucas's ideas got thrown out but I have a feeling the Son and Daughter thing from his outline stayed because having both of them being parallels to Luke and Anakin is a really good fucking idea.

Lucas has really good ideas. I wish he would have let someone else write the prequels off of his outlines.

MegalonJJ

Banned
If both Ridley and Driver are Leia's children, I hope they spend equal screen time going down alternate (light and dark) paths.

Never really seen it for a sith before.

BLACKLAC

Lucas doesn't have that mindset, nor does LucasFilms. Boyega got it because he was the best person for the role. You factor in that Variety said he was gong to be a Jedi months back, plus the concept art of the character he's playing and Ridley both holding lightsabers. And he will most likely be getting that Ridley love.

link?

Cheebo

Banned
Pip Andersen know's Parkour, most likely a jedi knight. Maybe even Luke's son?

Based on all the spoilers so far there are no other Jedi at the time of this movie other than Luke. I believe his role is very small. He isn't even a named cast member in the press material. For example the cast listing on the iTunes page for the movie (in order):
John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Lupita Nyong’o, Gwendoline Christie, Domhnall Gleeson, Max von Sydow, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, Kenny Baker

Xamdou

Based on all the spoilers so far there are no other Jedi at the time of this movie other than Luke. I believe his role is very small. He isn't even a named cast member in the press material. For example the cast listing on the iTunes page for the movie (in order):

Link to press material? So Luke is the last Jedi... interesting. Kinda makes sense if they go the Luke founding a Jedi Academy route.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Don't you guys think a lot of the artwork isn't even for this movie?

Cheebo

Banned
Don't you guys think a lot of the artwork isn't even for this movie?

Nah, they wouldnt be doing concepts for Episode VIII yet and there are scenes in the trailer that match exactly with concept art that leaked from the same source. The teaser backing up a lot of the concept art leaks makes it very likely the rest are also accurate.

I hope that Luke is
the only Jedi or there are very few Jedi
because he's trying to take the Jedi back to their roots of being a zen-like religion instead of an arm of the military/goverment like they were in the prequels, which lead to their downfall.

Beefy

Some of us proposed that Driver is the gravedigger because he has a fascination with his lineage and is tempted by the Dark Side. The person wielding that lightsaber is a Sith Lord (possible Plagueis) that Driver is either seeking out or the Sith Lord is drawn to Driver.

Might be interesting to have Ridely take the completely opposite path and have a fascination with seeking out Luke and becoming Jedi. Maybe "Awakens" refers to Luke awakening to a new light side force sensitive user and the Sith awakening to a new dark side force sensitive user (Force prodigies). The narrator in the trailer talks about light and dark.

Far as I have been told the sith holding the saber with the hilt is Janus who is the son of Lei/Solo and he will be played by Driver.

Wanderer5

Hm seems like there was a Roman god name Janus, who was the god of beginnings and transitions, and tend to be shown having two faces, since he look to the past and future. Just something to take note of if their son is really name Janus (course it could mean nothing from that, but still interesting).

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Well reading through this thread has cemented one thing in my mind -

If they don't let Luke go fuck ape shit with some craaaaazy powerful force user stuff i'm going to come out of the movie completely disappointed.

A Jedi Master who never really had the training/chance to learn the real limits and academia of the force before being thrust into the center of the greatest battle the galaxy had ever seen continuing to develop down those lines into a raw powerhouse of force ability that teeters on the line of dark and light and it driving him sliiiiiightly insane sounds fucking. Brilliant.

Just one scene. No CG flipping around. No spinning lightsabers in front of each other for 30 seconds before we do ballet ... just 20 Storm Troopers all shooting at Luke at once and all the shots disappear into his cloak. Cue one FUCK ALL powerful force push and slow pan in on his face. OoOoOoOoooohhhh baby.

Please. Please be good.

Wanderer5

No CG flipping around. No spinning lightsabers in front of each other for 30 seconds before we do ballet.

Heh I cracking up at that, cause I just saw the fight between Obi Wan vs Anakin from Ep III again, and god did it look so bad for the most part cause of those reasons. There was also a lack of weight with many of the impacts of the two sabers. I hope lightsaber fights in this upcoming trilogy will have less of that.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Heh I cracking up at that, cause I just saw the fight between Obi Wan vs Anakin from Ep III again, and god did it look so bad for the most part cause of those reasons. There was also a lack of weight with many of the impacts of the two sabers. I hope lightsaber fights in this upcoming trilogy will have less of that.

There needs to be a healthy re-assessment of the lightsaber duels that brings in elements from both of the previous trilogies...

In the OT - lack of choreography, bad vision in the Vader suit/helmet, expense on potentially damaging props and - obviously - the times in which the movies were made all prohibited much movement but the fighting had a sense of weight to it. There was a real danger to be felt about the lightsabers. When they struck each other it felt like they stuck... like the energies in both blades were interacting on the same level as the users. The struggle was real. Damage was done. Power in a swing mattered and the interplay between style/form and raw power was integral.

in the PT - you finally got to see what someone who had all these force powers might conceivably use those force powers for during a fight. Need to jump up to a catwalk 40 feet above you? Done. gotta suuuuuper fast run to catch someone and possibly flank them? Word. Two people lock into a duel and basically just start testing/feinting their way through a sparring match.. slowly growing in speed as they move on looking for the opening where they are gonna take the other guys head off? Excellent.

In one you had fights that felt heavy and real but were painfully slow and obviously danced around the fact that one of the fighters couldn't really fucking see anything.

In the other they go so wrapped up in the "dance" that gigantic sections of a fight can go down without a strike made that might actually endanger one of the fighters. EVERY swing in the OT - if not blocked - was gonna tear someones hand/head/body clean in half. The Jedi/Sith in PT all came across as much more skilled and powerful but also timid and not really very effectual.

Well except maybe Mace who looked like he could have just picked up a pool cue and beat fucking Sidious to death with it he was beasting so hard in that fight.

Mix these two up in a pot and pour it into my brain windows. I want to believe this can be the shit. So hard.

There needs to be a healthy re-assessment of the lightsaber duels that brings in elements from both of the previous trilogies...

In the OT - lack of choreography, bad vision in the Vader suit/helmet, expense on potentially damaging props and - obviously - the times in which the movies were made all prohibited much movement but the fighting had a sense of weight to it. There was a real danger to be felt about the lightsabers. When they struck each other it felt like they stuck... like the energies in both blades were interacting on the same level as the users. The struggle was real. Damage was done. Power in a swing mattered and the interplay between style/form and raw power was integral.

in the PT - you finally got to see what someone who had all these force powers might conceivably use those force powers for during a fight. Need to jump up to a catwalk 40 feet above you? Done. gotta suuuuuper fast run to catch someone and possibly flank them? Word. Two people lock into a duel and basically just start testing/feinting their way through a sparring match.. slowly growing in speed as they move on looking for the opening where they are gonna take the other guys head off? Excellent.

In one you had fights that felt heavy and real but were painfully slow and obviously danced around the fact that one of the fighters couldn't really fucking see anything.

In the other they go so wrapped up in the "dance" that gigantic sections of a fight can go down without a strike made that might actually endanger one of the fighters. EVERY swing in the OT - if not blocked - was gonna tear someones hand/head/body clean in half. The Jedi/Sith in PT all came across as much more skilled and powerful but also timid and not really very effectual.

Well except maybe Mace who looked like he could have just picked up a pool cue and beat fucking Sidious to death with it he was beasting so hard in that fight.

Mix these two up in a pot and pour it into my brain windows. I want to believe this can be the shit. So hard.

Dude I would be so happy if they mixed both and added alot of new things into the duels, it would be so awesome.

Yeah. Watch it again with what I said in mind. In fact a lot of Obi-Wan's scenes in that movie are filmed like that.

There's a good chance because there was a rumor of Luke, Han, and Driver's character in the woods with guns drawn.

Oh and the girl is going to be related to the Skywalkers. I know we like to act like any/all of Lucas's ideas got thrown out but I have a feeling the Son and Daughter thing from his outline stayed because having both of them being parallels to Luke and Anakin is a really good fucking idea.

Lucas has really good ideas. I wish he would have let someone else write the prequels off of his outlines.

What was the outline, if you don't mind me asking?

jackal27

Banned

Lightsaber duels in the prequels are waaaaaaaay too choreographed. Make them brutal. Make them tiring. Make them human and raw and real. Make them FIGHTS not dances. Abrams has been pretty good about this kind of thing in his previous work so I have faith when it comes to this particular thing.

This Star Trek fight comes to my mind minus the shaky cam please. http://youtu.be/-ArVBL8EgKU

Akahige

Lucas was full of details of the prequel trilogy in the 80's too, he basically gave out the entire outline of the films in an interview with small changes.

The sequel trilogy details talked about are pretty scarce outside Luke taking on an old master type roleand it being 40 years since RotJ, I wonder how much he really thought out that one. I guess he could have started an outline close to the sale.

Cyd0nia

Banned
I hope the new trilogy lightsaber duels have a mixture of the OT and Prequel styles mixed into it.

Same to be honest.

The best thing about the OT fights were that the antagonist would taunt and talk with the protagonist, they didn't have to be flowery because you were too busy going 'oh shit' at what Vader was saying. I particularly enjoy Obi-Wan v Vader in the first movie and Luke v Vader in the last. SISSSTERRRR... etc.

That said, the ANH fight is good purely for the dialogue and the mysterious passive stance that Obi Wan takes at the end. Nothing about the fighting itself is good. Nothing. The ESB and ROTJ fights were far superior, and it served the plot for them to be messy and aggressive because we were meant to be watching Luke potentially sliding in to traps and towards the influence of the dark side.

The physical and emotional drama in the PT fights was one of the best and only redeeming things about those movies along with the score John Williams applied.

The Maul fight is fantastic, it has pauses and beats in the right places, the Naboo forces bail the fuck out and leave it to the Jedi, and it was a great new acrobatic and energetic take on something we all loved as kids. I watched the prequels far more than I'd care to admit in the cinemas, and if there's one thing I know, it's that young kids came out fixated on those fights - it was like they'd witnessed a new kind of super hero. I love the parts where Qui Gon and Obi Wan in succession are stuck behind force fields looking on at a glaring Maul. The final fight in ROTS is not actually that far off perfection. Of course, there was an abundance of excess and one or two lines of dialogue that still sound daft, but it was a cool fight. I think the wavy lightsaber face off should have been toned down, and some of the lava-river stuff could have been less over the top too - but the apocalyptic tone of it, the talking between blows, that's more or less exactly what I want - but with good writing. If the prequels could be re-done and completely rewritten, there's actually a lot of stuff I'd keep - they just needed a slightly more mature sensibility, less politicking, and more wit / humour. Something you can already see is probably improved with Episode VII.

liquidtmd

Banned
If the prequels could be re-done and completely rewritten, there's actually a lot of stuff I'd keep

See, I kinda agree with this but conversely I really do think story wise they could have and should have started with Episode II, scrapping Episode I entirely

Obi-Wan is hunting an assassin of a Queen, tracking them to the same bar as in Episode II. A troubled teen (Anakin) with the same backstory is already there having a barfight, but gets involved in the subsequent chase / fight with Obi - Assassin. Obi senses the power of the force in him (no midichlorian mention) and takes him under his wing. They both go back to the Queen, she likes him for being a bit of rough - bang. Episode I - III have more breathing room to focus on Obi/Anakins relationship and subsequent fall.

The whole battle of Naboo seems absolutely pointless and Maul having a beefed up role over two films could have been great. Heck have him in three being in league also with Dooku and scrap / take over Grievious' role.

Same to be honest.

The best thing about the OT fights were that the antagonist would taunt and talk with the protagonist, they didn't have to be flowery because you were too busy going 'oh shit' at what Vader was saying. I particularly enjoy Obi-Wan v Vader in the first movie and Luke v Vader in the last. SISSSTERRRR... etc.

That said, the ANH fight is good purely for the dialogue and the mysterious passive stance that Obi Wan takes at the end. Nothing about the fighting itself is good. Nothing. The ESB and ROTJ fights were far superior, and it served the plot for them to be messy and aggressive because we were meant to be watching Luke potentially sliding in to traps and towards the influence of the dark side.

The physical and emotional drama in the PT fights was one of the best and only redeeming things about those movies along with the score John Williams applied.

The Maul fight is fantastic, it has pauses and beats in the right places, the Naboo forces bail the fuck out and leave it to the Jedi, and it was a great new acrobatic and energetic take on something we all loved as kids. I watched the prequels far more than I'd care to admit in the cinemas, and if there's one thing I know, it's that young kids came out fixated on those fights - it was like they'd witnessed a new kind of super hero. I love the parts where Qui Gon and Obi Wan in succession are stuck behind force fields looking on at a glaring Maul. The final fight in ROTS is not actually that far off perfection. Of course, there was an abundance of excess and one or two lines of dialogue that still sound daft, but it was a cool fight. I think the wavy lightsaber face off should have been toned down, and some of the lava-river stuff could have been less over the top too - but the apocalyptic tone of it, the talking between blows, that's more or less exactly what I want - but with good writing. If the prequels could be re-done and completely rewritten, there's actually a lot of stuff I'd keep - they just needed a slightly more mature sensibility, less politicking, and more wit / humour. Something you can already see is probably improved with Episode VII.

I love the Prequels. I even love the "politics" due to how it showed Palpatine gained his power. I think the Clone Wars tv show did a better job in general of showing the war, and how Palpatine got his power. As for the lightsaber fights, those are my favorite aspect from the Prequels. I didn't think that all the dialogue was bad in the Prequels. There are actually alot of lines I liked in those movies. I would say Attack of the Clones is the weakest though. I like The Phantom Menace, and Revenge of the Jedi alot more. As for the lightsaber duels for the new trilogy. As I said before I would like a mixture of the OT and Prequel, with a bit of something new added to the mix that hasn't been seen before. One thing I'm hoping for in the new movie is that there is a few Prequel connections. I wont be upset if there is not but that rumor about there being a villain connected to Dooku is true, I wouldn't mind that. Alot of the stuff in the prequels are really great ideas and I thought Clone Wars tv show did a better job at showing those ideas than the movies ever did. I really love the Prequels and the tv show due to how different that era is. I really didn't mind all the lightsaber duels. I just kind of wished that the Clone Wars tv show could have been completed, before he sold the rights to Disney. But I'm over it, there's still a few unanswered questions that the show hasn't answered, but you know what I'm ready for the new era of Star Wars to begin. I'm hoping to blown away, and I really hope they have spinoff movies not during where the new trilogy is set but also spinoffs in the OT and Prequel era.

What's the best lightsaber/force fight from the Clone Wars and other cartoons?

For me:

Savage and Maul vs Palpatine
Anakin and Obi Wan vs Dooku
Dooku (poisoned) vs Ventress and her Nightsisters
Maul and Savage vs Obi Wan and Ventress
Maul vs Visla
Ashoka vs Grievous
Clone Troopers vs Krell
Quinlen Vos and Obi Wan vs Cad Bane
Mace vs Mother Talzin

There's alot more I can't think of at the moment. I'm planning on rewatching the whole series once I get the Lost Missions on Bluray.

Beefy

Hm seems like there was a Roman god name Janus, who was the god of beginnings and transitions, and tend to be shown having two faces, since he look to the past and future. Just something to take note of if their son is really name Janus (course it could mean nothing from that, but still interesting).

Would make sense, it could be Han/Leia name him Jason and he starts off as Jason the nice son of Han/Leia. But later in the film reveals his true face, that of a sith apprentice named Janus. That would fit both names being used.

Top Bottom