• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Guy.brush

PeKlh7P.jpg

With Abrams connection to Cruise, he could also be cool as an Imperial...but I think it would be tricky for audiences to not see him as Tom Cruise. And he is small.
Gwendoline Christie on the other hand is tall as a tree and could easily play an Imperial.

LastNac

It's an amazing character, and for once not a "mu-muh force!" guy, just a master strategist who did put the rebels (well the new republic) on the edge. I guess do you prefer again the "i'm the sith #212341, i'm even more dangerous than the previous one, but you probably will defeat me with the force)

Timothy Zahn had this to say about the new EU.

"Alternatively, if the new movies do contradict my books in some way, I can probably come up with some hand-waving story that will explain the apparent discrepancy. If there’s one thing we authors are good at, it’s hand-waving."

He was at Skywalker Ranch and is rumored to be writing new Star Wars material. So of course, he is probably going to bring Thrawn back into the fold, albeit with slightly different details.

Moff

"Alternatively, if the new movies do contradict my books in some way, I can probably come up with some hand-waving story that will explain the apparent discrepancy. If there’s one thing we authors are good at, it’s hand-waving."

He was at Skywalker Ranch and is rumored to be writing new Star Wars material. So of course, he is probably going to bring Thrawn back into the fold, albeit with slightly different details.

a new thrawn trilogy that works with the new movies? I doubt that
a new book that explains how the old thrawn trilogy would make sense with the new movies? I doubt that.
new books that work with the new movies with completely new characters and stores? yep

monome

gimme.

give it to me.

now.

Disney/Lucasfilm would be crazy to pass on Zahn's goodness but the sooner the better.
The books' leak had no Zahn's books whereas Golden and Denning are already at it and they write shit SW.

LastNac

a new thrawn trilogy that works with the new movies? I doubt that
a new book that explains how the old thrawn trilogy would make sense with the new movies? I doubt that.
new books that work with the new movies with completely new characters and stores? yep
The Man's a master hand waiver that loves his own characters probably too much. I'm betting Thrawn returns, as well as the notion of a clone Luke. I'm also betting Mara Jade comes back sans relationship. He wasn't fond that the character was killed off and this is his way to bring her back.

Cheebo

Banned
It all depends on when Luke goes into hiding. If it is very shortly after ROTJ it will be very hard to try and redo the Thrawn trilogy I'd imagine.

Cheebo

Banned
Anyone see the new info that was supposed to be on good morning america today?

From the other thread:
Good Morning America confirmed this morning (Remember, it's a Disney owned show/channel) that Andy Serkis is the voice over in the trailer and the saber heard at the very end of the trailer is Luke Skywalker's blue lightsaber he lost at the end of Empire Strikes Back.

The fact it is his ANH/ESB saber....that is very intriguing. How did it show up, and who has it?

iosefe

From the other thread:
Good Morning America confirmed this morning (Remember, it's a Disney owned show/channel) that Andy Serkis is the voice over in the trailer and the saber heard at the very end of the trailer is Luke Skywalker's blue lightsaber he lost at the end of Empire Strikes Back.

The fact it is his ANH/ESB saber....that is very intriguing. How did it show up, and who has it?
Oh

Cheebo

Banned
I am guessing Luke's ESB saber is the one Ridley & Boyega are rumored to find. Not to mention there is concept art of Ridley with a blue saber

And if Daisy Ridley takes on that saber as her own it is a nice little passing of the torch. Anakin used in the prequels, Luke in the originals, and now Ridley's character perhaps in the sequels.

I am guessing Luke's ESB saber is the one Ridley & Boyega are rumored to find. Not to mention there is concept art of Ridley with a blue saber

And if Daisy Ridley takes on that saber as her own it is a nice little passing of the torch. Anakin used in the prequels, Luke in the originals, and now Ridley's character perhaps in the sequels.

It's like poetry

Rootbeer

Banned
Here is the good morning america segment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnUs0pc9ccQ

The reporter claims it is the sound of Luke's ANH lightsaber. It's not confirmation that they find the lightsaber luke loses in ESB, however months ago when the supposed leaked plot point about finding a lightsaber (with or without a hand attached to it) starting making the rounds, you are hard pressed not to immediately draw parallels between the rumor and the pair Luke lost in that film... could it be more than just circumstance?

Moff

I like that a lot

who had it? there are countless possibilities. the gravedigger is probably looking for it, too. maybe it wound up on tatooine when he was trying to get it and something went wrong.

Yeah but I'd be more surprised if it isn't Boyega that gets it. As long as it isn't Luke's green saber I'll be happy. That's the GOAT and should only be Luke's.

It's like poetry

I laughed.

You guys are legit insane if you think the biggest, most loved (and easily adaptable) EU characters like Thrawn arent gonna return in the new canon, movie or no. Once again, the EU isnt dead, and it is being drawn from for new material, its just not safe from contradiction, that is all really. The people involved in the books/comics side of the business are well aware of the weight these characters hold and aren't going to just let them go to waste.

You guys are legit insane if you think the biggest, most loved (and easily adaptable) EU characters like Thrawn arent gonna return in the new canon, movie or no. Once again, the EU isnt dead, and it is being drawn from for new material, its just not safe from contradiction, that is all really. The people involved in the books/comics side of the business are well aware of the weight these characters hold and aren't going to just let them go to waste.

Pretty much this. Declaring the EU non-canon gives them the ability to draw on the cooler stuff, while not being tied down to the epic mess that is the full continuity. I'd expect Thrawn to make a return.

Also, Starkiller please.

The Man's a master hand waiver that loves his own characters probably too much. I'm betting Thrawn returns, as well as the notion of a clone Luke. I'm also betting Mara Jade comes back sans relationship. He wasn't fond that the character was killed off and this is his way to bring her back.

I hope Lucasfilm veto the hell out of a clone Luke. Dumbest idea ever.

This may be a dumb question, but...does Disney/Lucasfilm still retain the rights to everything within the EU? Nuking the EU as canon doesn't preclude them from picking and choosing things from there to use in the new films, right?

Moff

This may be a dumb question, but...does Disney/Lucasfilm still retain the rights to everything within the EU? Nuking the EU as canon doesn't preclude them from picking and choosing things from there to use in the new films, right?

no certainly not, even GL himself took stuff from the EU for the prequels, the name of coruscant and characters like Ayla Secura if I remember correctly.

as mentiond above, the EU was nuked to gain freedom, not to destroy something. if they think something is good enough, they might continue it in a new book or even a movie, makint it canon. but honestly there is not much they could or should pick.

iosefe

no certainly not, even GL himself took stuff from the EU for the prequels, the name of coruscant and characters like Ayla Secura if I remember correctly.

as mentiond above, the EU was nuked to gain freedom, not to destroy something. if they think something is good enough, they might continue it in a new book or even a movie, makint it canon. but honestly there is not much they could or should pick.

*cough*kotor*coughcrevanough*

graffix13

From the other thread:

Another rumor is that Serkis is perhaps playing Darth Plagueis. It would connect the PT to the ST, and Plagueis is the only known Sith to cheat death.

Perhaps he has been in a deep sleep and something 'awakens' him. Maybe Driver is trying to wake him? It would explain Driver (or whoever is playing the Grave Robber) collecting old relics. Vader's Helmet, the cross guard ancient lightsaber (that would explain it's overall look), and maybe Revan's mask (even though the EU has been abolished)?

The voice over says the Dark awakens (Plagueis) and the Light awakens (Luke). Luke knows there is no way he can defeat the Master of his father's Master on his own and he will need help.

iosefe

Perhaps he has been in a deep sleep and something 'awakens' him. Maybe Driver is trying to wake him? It would explain Driver (or whoever is playing the Grave Robber) collecting old relics. Vader's Helmet, the cross guard ancient lightsaber (that would explain it's overall look), and maybe Revan's mask (even though the EU has been abolished)?

not abolished, not really. it's now a pool of ideas that they can rework and retool at their pleasure, pick the items they feel work best in the universe, leave out the bad stuff. like the holiday special.

they've already begun that process

graffix13

not abolished, not really. it's now a pool of ideas that they can rework and retool at their pleasure, pick the items they feel work best in the universe, leave out the bad stuff. like the holiday special.

they've already begun that process

I would like that, actually. Just cherry pick the good ideas from the EU. And KOTOR was definitely a good piece.

I just hope this villain guy sticks around. I think part of what hurt the PT was having a villain of the week in each movie, sure we had Palpatine, but the main bads in each film were either dead by the end of their film (Maul, Grevious) or given drastically reduced roles in the next one (Dooku.)

Part of what makes the OT so great is that Vader is a real big bad that it takes a whole trilogy to bring down. I want that back.

bengraven

I don't read any of that as anguish. The doc has them trying to think their way out of a single late editing problem. It has been built up as being this everyone hates the movie narrative without even knowing what is going on in their heads.

What you said first, that's how I took it when I first watched it. Brilliantly done documentary - wish there was one for each of the prequels. Hope to see one for VII. Love that line from McGregor after he giddily shakes during his fight sequence: "'Do you want to be in Star Wars?' they asked me. TOO fuckin' RIGHT..."

It was only later when people used the gifs from the viewing that I realized people assumed that even Lucas thought the film was shit.

graffix13

Did anyone here read the spoiler thread on reddit? Wow...if all that turns out to be true this movie will be off the charts.

I'd link it but not sure if reddit links are allowed here?

sphagnum

Banned
Did anyone here read the spoiler thread on reddit? Wow...if all that turns out to be true this movie will be off the charts.

I'd link it but not sure if reddit links are allowed here?

It's BS, the 4chan "leaker" didn't seem to know that Clone Wars is officially canon and not EU since he said that under Disney Darth Maul is dead. Also said that Plagueis was not Palpatine's master, which the Tarkin book confirmed.

A lot of it, however, actually is taken from rumors or concept art already floating around.

iosefe

It's BS, the 4chan "leaker" didn't seem to know that Clone Wars is officially canon and not EU since he said that under Disney Darth Maul is dead. Also said that Plagueis was not Palpatine's master, which the Tarkin book confirmed.

A lot of it, however, actually is taken from rumors or concept art already floating around.

it's fairly believable based on the concept art, but this thoughts on a potential location of [planet]
yavin
i don't particularly agree with, he shows an concept that matches designs used in KoTOR for [planet]
Dantooine

also this little tidbit from the end: 99.9% of the EU is disregarded. not much of a spoiler, to be expected, but what is that 0.1%?

graffix13

it's fairly believable based on the concept art, but this thoughts on a potential location of [planet]
yavin
i don't particularly agree with, he shows an concept that matches designs used in KoTOR for [planet]
Dantooine

also this little tidbit from the end: 99.9% of the EU is disregarded. not much of a spoiler, to be expected, but what is that 0.1%?

Revan's mask?

I do like the idea of Sydow's character
playing perhaps an old Boba Fett raising the daughter of Han Solo. Ironic.

Top Bottom