• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Cheebo

Banned
The guy who played Wedge bashed star wars more or less constantly since doing the films. For some reason he hates being associated with it.

prag16

Banned
The guy who played Wedge bashed star wars more or less constantly since doing the films. For some reason he hates being associated with it.

But oddly, he did agree to lend his voice to one of the Rogue Squadron games on gamecube.

"Amateur hour is over" Stephen Colbert explains the lightclaymore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiabUnjU84w

So then it IS this, but just not nearly as cool looking. Aright.

wgY1ZPM.jpg

(source is gaffer)

Edit: linked wrong source post, fixed

munchie64

Has this been posted yet? http://makingstarwars.net/2014/12/oscar-issacs-role-star-wars-force-awakens-opening-act/

Sounds like the lightsaber landing on the planet rumor is true, if this is legit. But I kind of hope the lightsaber is just on the planet already instead of being in space and falling to the planet with a hand or whatever the rumor was. It sounded a little corny. But then again, it could be awesome on screen.
Well I certainly trust Making Star Wars more than random 4chan posts.

iosefe

Has this been posted yet? http://makingstarwars.net/2014/12/oscar-issacs-role-star-wars-force-awakens-opening-act/

Sounds like the lightsaber landing on the planet rumor is true, if this is legit. But I kind of hope the lightsaber is just on the planet already instead of being in space and falling to the planet with a hand or whatever the rumor was. It sounded a little corny. But then again, it could be awesome on screen.

the falling hand is still silly. why would it still be in the air after 29 ish years?

Cheebo

Banned

The fact on GMA they stated the saber sound at the end is Luke's blue ANH/ESB saber kind of sealed the deal for me that that rumor was true. Not to mention Making Star Wars has been dead on so far.

Really don't get the light saber cross guard thing. I watched and rewatched the
trailer and it clearly looks like its supposed to be exhaust not a functioning cross guard.

The fact on GMA they stated the saber sound at the end is Luke's blue ANH/ESB saber kind of sealed the deal for me that that rumor was true. Not to mention Making Star Wars has been dead on so far.

I don't know why, but just the idea of seeing Luke's original blue saber has me all hot and bothered.

Not

Banned
I don't know why, but just the idea of seeing Luke's original blue saber has me all hot and bothered.

In The Last Command, C'Baoth gave an evil Luke clone his old blue lightsaber, somehow retrieved from Bespin, but then Mara Jade killed the clone and Luke gave his old lightsaber to her.

...But none of that happened anymore.

Vidpixel

So then it IS this, but just not nearly as cool looking. Aright.

wgY1ZPM.jpg

(source is gaffer)

Edit: linked wrong source post, fixed

I still really don't care much for this design. Granted, this is coming from someone who hasn't invested in all the Star Wars extended fiction, but this just doesn't immediately strike me as being a lightsaber. I prefer the original design that's in the movie now.

MattyG

Banned
the falling hand is still silly. why would it still be in the air after 29 ish years?
And isn't the rumor that it's a robotic hand? Why would it be robotic if it's Luke's hand that Vader cut off in ESB? And how would it get into space? Wouldn't it fall to the surface of Bespin? Am I missing something crucial or misunderstanding?

iosefe

And isn't the rumor that it's a robotic hand? Why would it be robotic if it's Luke's hand that Vader cut off in ESB? And how would it get into space? Wouldn't it fall to the surface of Bespin? Am I missing something crucial or misunderstanding?

i distinctly recall Vader losing a robot hand...

HHMMMMM...

Not

Banned
If it does turn out to be Luke's severed hand I will stand up and walk out of the theater. Then I will come to the realization that the Prequels aren't the worst Star Wars movies and proceed to cry.

No, you won't. No, you won't; no, you won't.

MattyG

Banned
i distinctly recall Vader losing a robot hand...

HHMMMMM...
Oh wait, was the rumor that the lightsaber and hand were Vader's? That would make SO more sense. I kind of feel dumb for not realizing that that was probably what it meant before now. I only heard the rumor second hand (no pun intended) on here, so I assumed it was Luke's blue lightsaber.

iosefe

Oh wait, was the rumor that the lightsaber and hand were Vader's? That would make SO more sense. I kind of feel dumb for not realizing that that was probably what it meant before now. I only heard the rumor second hand (no pun intended) on here, so I assumed it was Luke's blue lightsaber.

no, , the rumor was Luke's Saber and hand

i think...

now i odn't remember if the old rumor actually said who it belonged to

Rootbeer

Banned
Another day, another "leak"

Oh well, it's all in fun. Take this one on for size:

What I know about Star Wars VII (self.StarWarsLeaks)
submitted 2 days ago by JamalSkyjocker
The voice in the trailer is, as we have established, Andy Serkis. And who better than Andy Serkis to play the role of an alien? He will be representing none other than the former Muun Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Plagueis, who had familiarity with the skill of transfer essence.
A solid leak has hinted that Adam Driver will play the role of a wealthy aristocrat with a desire for collecting Sith artifacts. Driver will personally go to retrieve one of these artifacts, and his body will be commandeered by Plagueis. This will inspire a "disturbance in the force" at Luke Skywalker's Jedi Academy. The unstable lightsaber with the crossguard that we see in the trailer will have been obtained as a Sith artifact.

Further Star Wars VII information. (self.StarWarsLeaks)
submitted 17 minutes ago by JamalSkyjocker
Max von Sydow's character will be a loosely designed, but close inner interpretation of Darth Vader's former High Inquisitor Antinnis Tremayne. This is the same character with the cyborg features that you see in the concept art.
As I've said before, the primary villain will be Adam Driver's Plagueis-controlled character weilding a Sith artifact, with Andy Serkis serving as a "force-ghost" of Plagueis.
I will continue to release details sparingly.

Moff

it's obvious to anyone that it's supposed to be a crossguard. people simply think you can cut thorugh the hilt part of the crossguard, which would render it obsolete.
of course there are many possiblities how it would still work, either a resistend material or there is still laster beneath the hilt part of the crossguard. but that's only speculation so far.

but I think until the movie releases, no one cares anymore anyway.

Rootbeer

Banned

Pretty much... until there is some more official information on it I think the fanbase has exhausted what they have to say about it. From the moment that concept art leaked it was very obvious that it would be a controversial design for the reasons you stated, and that definitely turned out to be the case.

It's a success in the sense that it got a ton of fans talking about it. But it's a failure in that it should be pretty obvious how it works in relation to other lightsabers just by looking at it. When we first saw Maul's saber, EVERYONE from little kids to weathered fans immediately understood how it worked despite it being a bit different. This though? There's just too many things that are potentially wrong with it from a weapon design standpoint... and in that sense I really wish they'd come up with something a bit more clear.

Definitely looking forward to seeing it in action though.

Not sure what to think. As a gamer, the whole "you thought this guy was the villain but he is actually being possessed by the real, hidden villain" thing feels like a well-trodden trope at this point. But it's something new for Star Wars (I think?). And I'd rather Adam Driver be this brand new aristocrat rather than a retread of Han and Leia's son from the EU.

it's obvious to anyone that it's supposed to be a crossguard. people simply think you can cut thorugh the hilt part of the crossguard, which would render it obsolete.
of course there are many possiblities how it would still work, either a resistend material or there is still laster beneath the hilt part of the crossguard. but that's only speculation so far.

Plus, given HOW each of their limbs were cut off, a crossguard would have done jack shit.

I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt, even though the design doesn't make much sense. We'll see!

graffix13

I am pretty sure the rumor was it was Luke's hand. I don't have a link or anything, but that's how I remember it.

The idea of either Luke's hand or Vader's hand floating through space and falling to a planet it dumb. Luke lost his flesh hand in ESB, so I'm suppose to believe it floated in space to some planet, and didn't disintegrate when entering the atmosphere of the planet? Vader's robotic hand would be a little more believable in this sense, but still dumb IMO. If it's already on the planet or in the possession of someone that changes things.

As for the cross guard saber, I think I like the idea more of it being an old Sith artifact rather than an amateur's creation. In fact, I really, really like it.

monome

Not sure what to think. As a gamer, the whole "you thought this guy was the villain but he is actually being possessed by the real, hidden villain" thing feels like a well-trodden trope at this point. But it's something new for Star Wars (I think?). And I'd rather Adam Driver be this brand new aristocrat rather than a retread of Han and Leia's son from the EU.

well, it vibes with the rumors of Luke's actually unleashing the beast with his actions.
the ass-kicking might free the POWAAA and Luke would actually be fighting his grandpa (who is neither blood related nor in his own body but is clearly well positionned to make Luke go berserk...). also a Sith-Sith Ghost duo would be a novelty.
Just like having a previous High inquisitor playing mentor to the new hero vibes well with the rumored moral grayness of the trilogy and the rumored dark path awaiting Ridley if she doesn't alter it (Von Sydow was rumored to represent her future self) and that meshes goddamn well with the "shocking" reveal of third act when Ridley enters the "cave" looking for Luke and faces a Force trial only to meet Sydow's apparition who reveals his Sith connexion. It's a "I'm your father" moment with a twist. it's perfect. Could be that the real Sydow is so much cyborg he can't actually feel/use the living force.

also Hermit Luke is basically him moving from Living Force (because it's easier to cause harm and be consequential in this form) to Cosmic Force, whereas "Plagueis" is moving the opposite direction.

monome

also...

if Plagueis posesses Driver :

1/ Driver is a Skywalker, thus Plagueis posesses a strong Vessel eventually setting Kira as his next target if Luke has broken his new toy too much
2/ Driver is not a Skywalker, then Plagueis will probably want to posess Kira next or seduce her to create the perfect spawn.

Skywalkers are the perfect "ride" when you want to live forever and reign on all things.
also that would be one step further than how the Emperor used the Skywalkers. in the end they proved to be too much for him. why fight them when you can be them?

maybe I to VI events were just a test drive to see if the Skywalkers could be used for his plans?

Jarmel

Banned
Pretty much... until there is some more official information on it I think the fanbase has exhausted what they have to say about it. From the moment that concept art leaked it was very obvious that it would be a controversial design for the reasons you stated, and that definitely turned out to be the case.

It's a success in the sense that it got a ton of fans talking about it. But it's a failure in that it should be pretty obvious how it works in relation to other lightsabers just by looking at it. When we first saw Maul's saber, EVERYONE from little kids to weathered fans immediately understood how it worked despite it being a bit different. This though? There's just too many things that are potentially wrong with it from a weapon design standpoint... and in that sense I really wish they'd come up with something a bit more clear.

Definitely looking forward to seeing it in action though.

Context is always king.

graffix13

also...

if Plagueis posesses Driver :

1/ Driver is a Skywalker, thus Plagueis posesses a strong Vessel eventually setting Kira as his next target if Luke has broken his new toy too much
2/ Driver is not a Skywalker, then Plagueis will probably want to posess Kira next or seduce her to create the perfect spawn.

Skywalkers are the perfect "ride" when you want to live forever and reign on all things.
also that would be one step further than how the Emperor used the Skywalkers. in the end they proved to be too much for him. why fight them when you can be them?

I am ok with this, I am just curious on where Plagueis was during the PT and OT. He must have been 'sleeping' or in a hibernation of some sort. Palpatine hinted that he was killed by his apprentice, so if he is in TFA that obviously wasn't the case.

So what 'wakes' him up I wonder?

monome

I am ok with this, I am just curious on where Plagueis was during the PT and OT. He must have been 'sleeping' or in a hibernation of some sort. Palpatine hinted that he was killed by his apprentice, so if he is in TFA that obviously wasn't the case.

that's the pb, in the trailer he talks about it like an outside thing, whereas it would be him awakening...or maybe it's him talking to Kira when already in Driver...but it wouldn't make sense if he's talking to Driver who supposedly wakes him through an artifact.

sphagnum

Banned
So MSW has some new speculation up about how the movie opens. Basically, there's a battle over the desert planet between Republic and Imperial forces and Oscar Isaac's character gets shot down. The real purposes of the imperials being there is to get the lightsaber, which they believe crashed in a village so they go hunt for it under Christie (chrometrooper commander) and burn the village down but Boyega defects. He gets captured and thrown into prison with Isaac, and Daisy, having seen him refuse to hurt the innocent villagers, helps break him and Isaac out of prison. Han is I guess already on the planet with the Falcon possibly to try and rescue Isaac, his friend/subordinate? That part still seems a little bit up in the air.

I wonder if the TIE Fighter crash was completely scrapped and Boyega just runs off into the sand dunes. Seems kind of weird to have two ship crashes that early.

are people still arguing about the logistics of a scifi/ fantasy weapon? it looks cool for the sake of being cool. i know 10 year old me would have thought it was even cooler then Darth Maul's daul saber. older fans sort of ruin star wars when it comes to just enjoying things for what they are. itll look good on screen, im sure JJ has choreographed good fights using the hilts, so relax.

I hope Plagueis wasn't possessing Palpatine the whole time, lol.

I mean Palpatine thinks he killed Plagueis. So I'm intrigued how he would deceive Palpatine for so many years.

Moff

Would it really matter?
After reading the Darth Bane novels I found the idea fastinating that Bane would be able to possess body after body of his apprentices even until he would possess palpatine. It would give the rule of two a whole new meaning.

graffix13

Yeah I hope this isn't the case either, but won't be totally against it if they can spin a decent story from it.

Perhaps that's how Plagueis was able to cheat death....by possessing hosts and then 'hopping' to the next when that vessel is killed/dies.

The question with that scenario is just where has he been for these last 30 years since Palpy died?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yeah I hope this isn't the case either, but won't be totally against it if they can spin a decent story from it.

Perhaps that's how Plagueis was able to cheat death....by possessing hosts and then 'hopping' to the next when that vessel is killed/dies.

The question with that scenario is just where has he been for these last 30 years since Palpy died?

Possessing Luke....

I mean Palpatine thinks he killed Plagueis. So I'm intrigued how he would deceive Palpatine for so many years.

(Obviously movie-only canon-oriented:) Unless that "end" to the story was a ruse to keep up the deception that Plagueis was gone while simultaneously enticing Anakin to embrace Palpatine and the dark side.

Fuck.....

Palpatine: I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create...life. He had such a knowledge of the Dark Side, he could even keep the ones he cared about...from dying.

Sidious: To cheat death is the power only one has achieved, but if we work together...I know we can discover the secret.

This could...easily be Plagueis speaking through Palpatine, no? Second quote "if we work together" meaning he jumps to Vader's body if Vader defeats/usurps Palpatine and thus cheats death. But then, when Vader became half machine, he set his sights on Luke.

Lmo911

You could go with Plageus posessing a random person and is forced to bide his time before a proper host resurfaces since all the Sith/Jedi are wiped out. It's not like waiting 30 years is a big thing to someone who can't die. Also it could be transfer by relic/holocron/lightsaber. We really don't know exactly how his power works.

Cheebo

Banned

Thst plagueis rumor is complete bullshit. Making Star Wars reported Sydow is a old junker and mentor to Ridleys character who is only in the first act. Not a bad guy or force user.

And Making Star Wars said there is no jedi Academy. Luke is alone and hasn't spoken to anyone in years, he is unhinged and a bit crazy. And this is the site who got EVERYTHING right in the trailer.

Far more likely to believe them then this no name site.

Soon as they completely contradicted Making Star Wars on Sydow (not to mention being a site with no track record) there is no reason I see to give it any attention.

LastNac

Thst plagueis rumor is complete bullshit. Making Star Wars reported Sydow is a old junker and mentor to Ridleys character who is only in the first act. Not a bad guy or force user.

And Making Star Wars said there is no jedi Academy. Luke is alone and hasn't spoken to anyone in years, he is unhinged and a bit crazy. And this is the site who got EVERYTHING right in the trailer.

Me thinks you don't want there to be a Jedi Academy.

Cheebo

Banned

Soon as they completely contradicted Making Star Wars on Sydow (not to mention being a site with no track record) there is no reason I see to give it any attention.

Me thinks you don't want there to be a Jedi Academy.
I don't care. I am just saying it goes against ever spoiler from the established crediable sources with a proven track record.

Top Bottom