• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

It is said very specifically that Plagueis is dead in RotS. Why go through the story hurdles to cancel that out when you could just write an all new character?

I also don't believe the hand thing in the least. Once again, story hurdles. Why is there a hand, how did it get there, how did they find it, why is it important?

Go back into the past and look at all the BS Phantom Menace rumors of the day like the Millennium Falcon flying over the water being piloted by Obi Wan.

Cheebo

Banned
It's worth noting that MakingStarWars also stated that Luke was the villain.
That was their speculation, they even said so at the time. And they rather quickly updated that plot point when they got more information from their sources.

This is the site who has outlined in extreme detail scenes shown in the trailer going back as far as last year. They called out the stormtrooper crashing in the desert plot point for Boyega's character before Boyega was even cast.

Same with Daisy Ridley's character, the ball droid, Isaac being in an X-Wing. They also stated the bad guy has a fight in a wooded snowy area months and months ago. Everything from the movie we have seen has backed up what they said, no reason to doubt them that I can see.

Especially for a rumor from a site with no track record that was instantly dismissed by all the major Star Wars spoiler communities online already.

Moff

It is said very specifically that Plagueis is dead in RotS. Why go through the story hurdles to cancel that out when you could just write an all new character?

because it would be somewhat problematic that there was another ancient powerful sith we just never heard of. and since it is known plagueis tried to cheat death, it would somehow fit in.

I dont like the jedi academy rumors either btw. and I always expected there to be one, always expected luke to have rebuilt the other in those 30 years.
but that's the predictable outcome, I like the new idea much more, that he realized the dangers of the force and wanted to let it simply sleep until it died out.

I'm not sure it can necessarily be taken for granted that a character who is already canonically duplicitous must be telling the truth when he says that a guy who can supposedly cheat death is dead.

That said, I'm certain the original intent was for Palpatine to be stealth-bragging about how he killed a guy who can cheat death. So it'd have to be a "I am your father" level retcon.

devil's advocate, because it's fun to discuss possible story ideas

I really hope they explain how Lukes saber got off Bespin.

This guy right here:
lobot1.jpg

Nobody knew the inner workings of Cloud City better than Lobot. He's likely the only one that had full knowledge about who was on Cloud City at any given time and is the only person who would have had been able to retrieve the lightsaber.

Moff

That said, I'm certain the original intent was for Palpatine to be stealth-bragging about how he killed a guy who can cheat death.
that is not only the original intent, palpatine did kill plagueis in his sleep in the novel "plagueis", howere it might be possible that he either hid somewhere witthout palpatines knowledge, similiar to the jedi force ghosts, or he actually did possess palpatine from that point onward.

maharg

idspispopd
I'm not sure it can necessarily be taken for granted that a character who is already canonically duplicitous must be telling the truth when he says that a guy who can supposedly cheat death is dead.

That said, I'm certain the original intent was for Palpatine to be stealth-bragging about how he killed a guy who can cheat death. So it'd have to be a "I am your father" level retcon.

Which still puts it below the "I'm your brother" level of retcon.

Any Sith above Palpatine would be ridiculous as the Sith crave power above all else, so it is unlikely that Palpatine would play lap dog when he is the face of the Galaxy.

BTW, the line in the movie is like this

He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, and then one night, his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic that he could save others from death, but not himself.

The force ghost thing is out as the canon specifically suggests that dark side cannot become force ghosts. The only path that leads to a life after death is selflessness.

The simplest thing to do in the case of a bad guy is to have a good guy find something and get corrupted by it. A Sith Holocron or other such relic that is to be learned from is ideal for that. They can dig into whatever past they want to, to justify it. The path of least resistance, the better.

As the production seems to be incredibly rushed it is probably a case where every idea or visualization that was reasonably good is recycled into the story. They probably killed EU because it was obviously highly contradictory but also so they could mine it on a short schedule.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Speculation.

Darth Maul's canonically alive, at least by the beginning of Revenge of the Sith (see: Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir comics, both of which are officially considered canon).

He'd be 50 years older, but perhaps he's the main villain, voiced by Andy Serkis. I don't think he's the cross-hilt lightsaber guy, but I suppose it's possible. Both the cartoon and the comics left his ultimate fate unresolved.

Moff

The force ghost thing is out as the canon specifically suggests that dark side cannot become force ghosts. The only path that leads to a life after death is selflessness.
what canon?
the prequels seemed to imply that Qui Gon was the first to achieve this, or at the very least no one else knew at the time. so why would Plagueis not be able to do something similiar?
as I said, it doesnt need to be the force ghost, just something similiar. he could have been stored in an artifact, that would probably fit the whole gravedigger story.

What if Max Von Sydow is an aged Lobot?

best sydow guess i heard so far
but the leak said prequel character.

Speculation.

Darth Maul's canonically alive, at least by the beginning of Revenge of the Sith (see: Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir comics, both of which are officially considered canon).

He'd be 50 years older, but perhaps he's the main villain, voiced by Andy Serkis. I don't think he's the cross-hilt lightsaber guy, but I suppose it's possible. Both the cartoon and the comics left his ultimate fate unresolved.

god please no
the worst part is, this makes kind of sense

Any Sith above Palpatine would be ridiculous as the Sith crave power above all else, so it is unlikely that Palpatine would play lap dog when he is the face of the Galaxy.

Isn't the idea that Palpatine would have been an unwitting victim of Plagueis's scheme to attain immortality, and that Plagueis was using Palpatine as a vessel the whole time? Presumably he would have then wanted to eventually inhabit Vader or Luke (as objects of prophecy), but neither of them wound up being suitable hosts (the idea may have been to go after the one who killed the other, which obviously didn't pan out).

Anyway, I guess there's not much evidence to debate at this point, aside from "how truthful was Palpatine being in his speech to Anakin?" It's all speculation and hearsay.

Speculation.

I can't see it myself. Of course it's possible but I can't see JJ or Kasdan wanting to use him.

LastNac

That was their speculation, they even said so at the time. And they rather quickly updated that plot point when they got more information from their sources.

This is the site who has outlined in extreme detail scenes shown in the trailer going back as far as last year. They called out the stormtrooper crashing in the desert plot point for Boyega's character before Boyega was even cast.

Same with Daisy Ridley's character, the ball droid, Isaac being in an X-Wing. They also stated the bad guy has a fight in a wooded snowy area months and months ago. Everything from the movie we have seen has backed up what they said, no reason to doubt them that I can see.

Especially for a rumor from a site with no track record that was instantly dismissed by all the major Star Wars spoiler communities online already.
Hey, I'm not defending this recent rumor nor do I even believe it.

My point is, no one is infallible.

prag16

Banned
I can't see it myself. Of course it's possible but I can't see JJ or Kasdan wanting to use him.

I agree. I can't see them wanting to trot him out in one of the mainline films. If he DOES pop back up, it seems more likely that it would happen somewhere in the new post ROTJ canon, in a novel or comic book somewhere.

Cheebo

Banned
Hey, I'm not defending this recent rumor nor do I even believe it.

My point is, no one is infallible.
Oh no I agree 100% I am just saying when it comes to spoilers I am taking making star wars at their word until they are proven wrong since they have been dead on so far.

Tookay

Me thinks you don't want there to be a Jedi Academy.
Pretty much every credible site says there isn't one.

The story beats of Luke being in exile suggest there isn't one.

The narrative direction of the Cold War and talk of an awakening hint that there hasn't been a lot of progress on the training Jedi front.

Plus I have to imagine that the overall drive of this trilogy is to establish one; they don't want to leave that in the back story but explore it in the films themselves.

This isn't a matter if wishing there was one or not. The evidence suggests there isn't.

Thst plagueis rumor is complete bullshit. Making Star Wars reported Sydow is a old junker and mentor to Ridleys character who is only in the first act. Not a bad guy or force user.

And Making Star Wars said there is no jedi Academy. Luke is alone and hasn't spoken to anyone in years, he is unhinged and a bit crazy. And this is the site who got EVERYTHING right in the trailer.

Far more likely to believe them then this no name site.

Soon as they completely contradicted Making Star Wars on Sydow (not to mention being a site with no track record) there is no reason I see to give it any attention.

Not saying you're wrong but, what about the CV of that actor who plays a "Padawan" in the film? If the film has a Padawan who isn't even named, surely it must mean that there are several of them. So either there's an academy or it's a flashback to the prequel era.

best sydow guess i heard so far
but the leak said prequel character.

After a quick google, it's actually been suggested before. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Lobot was head of security and would be privy to all of Cloud City. He'd have recordings of the saber fight, the revelation and the loss of Luke's saber/hand. Which would truck with the fact we know that Luke's inherited saber has some significance in the new film as an important relic. And maybe prequel was just a poor choice of words. Aren't all films before VII technically prequels of the new story?

After a quick google, it's actually been suggested before. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Lobot was head of security and would be privy to all of Cloud City. He'd have recordings of the saber fight, the revelation and the loss of Luke's saber/hand. Which would truck with the fact we know that Luke's inherited saber has some significance in the new film as an important relic. And maybe prequel was just a poor choice of words. Aren't all films before VII technically prequels of the new story?
this would be amazing from a fanboy perspective IMO, but no way would they waste someone with the gravitas of Sydow on such a blank and emotionless character.

prag16

Banned
this would be amazing from a fanboy perspective IMO, but no way would they waste someone with the gravitas of Sydow on such a blank and emotionless character.
It could be argued that they wouldn't "waste" him on an old junker with no force powers that barely figures into things. But I guess we have to see how it's all handled.

Nete

I am pretty sure the rumor was it was Luke's hand. I don't have a link or anything, but that's how I remember it.

The idea of either Luke's hand or Vader's hand floating through space and falling to a planet it dumb. Luke lost his flesh hand in ESB, so I'm suppose to believe it floated in space to some planet, and didn't disintegrate when entering the atmosphere of the planet?

Maybe Luke's hand used the Millennium Fist to go to that planet.

oUuxXSj.png

^Probably the 0.1% that is still canon.

prag16

Banned
Maybe Luke's hand used the Millennium Fist to go to that planet.

^Probably the 0.1% that is still canon.

And then went on to do this (awful movie, but love The Offspring):

EDIT: Removing gif because it's graphic and off-topic; scene from the movie Idle Hands where the dismembered hand scalps Dexter Holland of The Offspring)

You know what they say. Idle hands are the dark side's playground.
Awful. I'll go stand in the corner and face the wall now. :(

munchie64

Speculation.

I had no idea they continued Maul's Clone Wars story in comics. I'm gonna have to read those.

Sigma722

Yeah, they're adapted from the screenplays of Season 6 episodes that were never produced.

Is the comic canon though?

From what I understood, the only thing canon was the actual show, ot, and pt. If it didn't air, even if it's technically an extension of the show, shouldn't it be out?

I'm just now trying to get into new EU, so I want to make sure I have bases covered.

Cheebo

Banned

From what I understood, the only thing canon was the actual show, ot, and pt. If it didn't air, even if it's technically an extension of the show, shouldn't it be out?

I'm just now trying to get into new EU, so I want to make sure I have bases covered.
The Comic is canon. Any book or comic released from that point on is canon. That comics was the first of the new EU.

iosefe

All new material is Canon. Sons of Dathomir is Canon, as is the Ventress book, Dark Disciple
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

Cheebo

Banned
It doesn't state but I don't see this as a description of a married Han and Leia.
"Princess Leia at the rebel base with Artoo and Threepio. She is not too happy about seeing Han Solo again."

Unless they are just fighting or something

raphier

Banned
There has been an awakening, have you felt it? The dark side and the light. Our heroes are Boyega and Ridley, both slated to appear in all three movies. We know that Boyega will field a lightsaber in this one and there are concept arts of Ridley wielding one. Maybe at the eventual points, they will become rivals, and thus perform the awakening between the dark side and the light.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
this is correct. i think the videogames published by EA are considered conon as well, i could be wrong though. the fact that all EU moving forward is canon is very rewarding to the hardcore crowd. i still need to read Tarkin and New Dawn.

The Old Republic and KOTOR 1 & 2 arent canon anymore.

Boof

There has been an awakening, have you felt it? The dark side and the light. Our heroes are Boyega and Ridley, both slated to appear in all three movies. We know that Boyega will field a lightsaber in this one and there are concept arts of Ridley wielding one. Maybe at the eventual points, they will become rivals, and thus perform the awakening between the dark side and the light.

I want the story of the trilogy to go DEEP. I like the idea that both will be come rivals of sorts... light side and dark... but then come together to fight a common enemy at the end of the trilogy. Who says using the dark side means you have to be "evil" or even a sith? I guess using the dark side gives you access to a set of tools that could be perceived as evil but what if those tools were actually used for something good. I dunno. Just a thought.

monome

I doubt they envision Boyega turning Sith Lord.
Ridley's potential alignment with the Dark should be an ominous threat rather than active storyline.

Will they face off? If yes, one of them should die otherwise it's campy as fuck. they can force ghost him/her.

Making Star Wars posted a new report today. First one about Leia I can think of. Sounds like Han and Leia are not married! Leia isn't happy to see Han when they meet up in the film it sounds like
http://makingstarwars.net/2014/12/s...solo-princess-leia-artoo-threepios-placement/
This is about what I'd expect. Anyone who thought those two would settle down wasn't watching the same movie I was. Their romance was driven by passion, not comfort, like you'd expect between a rogue pilot and a driven princess of the rebellion. There will be lingering passion for sure, and they may even be married, but none of of that lovey dovey old married couple shit.

So here's something I'm confused about. Han would recognize this as Luke's ANH/ESB saber right? He knew Luke has a new one, why would he suddenly be concerned with finding it?

This is about what I'd expect. Anyone who thought those two would settle down wasn't watching the same movie I was. Their romance was driven by passion, not comfort, like you'd expect between a rogue pilot and a driven princess of the rebellion. There will be lingering passion for sure, and they may even be married, but none of of that lovey dovey old married couple shit.

Yeah, the way their relationship was portrayed in the EU screamed fanfiction.

prag16

Banned
So here's something I'm confused about. Han would recognize this as Luke's ANH/ESB saber right? He knew Luke has a new one, why would he suddenly be concerned with finding it?
This was my first thought as well. It stands to reason he may not even recognize it as Luke's original one. But even if he did, yeah, wouldn't it be more "hey that's cool", than "oh no he must be in trouble".

If anything Leia's the one who would be more likely be able to see it, and trigger a sense that he's in trouble or something.

This was my first thought as well. It stands to reason he may not even recognize it as Luke's original one. But even if he did, yeah, wouldn't it be more "hey that's cool", than "oh no he must be in trouble".

If anything Leia's the one who would be more likely be able to see it, and trigger a sense that he's in trouble or something.
Well, it is also possible that Han see's the lightsaber, probably a rare object that few understand in this new universe, and immediately realizes something is fishy simply because of it's existence (moreso if he recognizes it as Luke's) and Luke is the only person he knows who would know a damn thing about lightsabers.

Top Bottom