• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

LastNac

well it makes sense they continue it as legends, the alternative would either be to just kill SWTOR or to make it canon as a whole, both is very unlikely.

I dont think it matters though, because that time period will hardly be touched by the new films or even books.
I don't really see the problem with canonizing that era. That's the one big one for me.

Don't know if this has already been posted: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/star-wars-spoilers-leaked-episode-4748644

In-depth plot and character details of the forthcoming Star Wars movie have allegedly been leaked and posted online.

A user calling himself 'Spoiler Man', who claims to work for Lucasfilm, has been posting the spoilers to web forum 4Chan for the past few days - despite claiming security has been dramatically stepped up in the teams surrounding the film's production.

iosefe

Unless they plan on retreading the old republic, there isn't much reason to not canonize aside from "we just don't want to"

The empire is still around, but who is to say in what state? I'd expect after the death of the Emperor and Darth Vader, there would be more than a few higher ups willing to defect. We saw Coruscant celebrating at the end of RotJ,

Has Disney made any mention about whether the Special Edition is the canon version? Technically if we were to get a blu-ray of the theatrical release without that scene, the Coruscant overthrow stuff might not have even happened as far as the viewer is concerned.

Has Disney made any mention about whether the Special Edition is the canon version? Technically if we were to get a blu-ray of the theatrical release without that scene, the Coruscant overthrow stuff might not have even happened as far as the viewer is concerned.

I dont' know if anyone's actually asked.

they certainly, so far as I know, have never asked Fox or Disney whether or not there's a planned release of the original versions, even though people know the original trilogy are being (or have been, at this point) restored in 4k.

Cheebo

Banned

Disney does not determine canon. Lucasfilm does. And the bluray verisions are the canonical versions. I am so confused why so many people refer to Disney, asking what Disneys stance is on various things, people don't do that with Marvel. Lucasfilm operates like Marvel Studios does. It is very much a semi-independent company within Disney.

I mean the teaser had one studio copyright logo at the end. Lucasfilm, no Disney.

LastNac

I dont' know if anyone's actually asked.

they certainly, so far as I know, have never asked Fox or Disney whether or not there's a planned release of the original versions, even though people know the original trilogy are being (or have been, at this point) restored in 4k.

Wasn't there supposed to be this big push by Disney to get the unedited versions out?

antonz

SWTORs official status has never been fully addressed. Bioware states Disney has not even officially told them just that they are happy with their work in that Era of the Star Wars Universe and to keep it going.

from Executive Producer of SWTOR
“Let me answer it the way they answered it to us,” he said. “Because we asked when this first came up, we were like, ‘What does this mean for us?’ And they were like, ‘Guys, this doesn’t change anything. You tell great Star Wars stories set in this time frame; you continue to do that, and we’ll continue to support you.’

The fact they are thousands of years before the movies The new Story Group probably doesn't care much. Disney is very much locked on Movie time and later era only right now

Wasn't there supposed to be this big push by Disney to get the unedited versions out?

I dunno. I don't remember hearing about any big push, internally, from either Lucasfilm OR Disney regarding getting the originals out.

But it is known that there's a 4K restoration either ongoing or just recently finished regarding the Original Trilogy.

Cheebo

Banned

Lucasfilm is restoring the movies to 4k but thats all we know. Technically Disney cant release any of the movies till 2020 unless they work out a deal with Fox.

iosefe

SWTORs official status has never been fully addressed. Bioware states Disney has not even officially told them just that they are happy with their work in that Era of the Star Wars Universe and to keep it going.

from Executive Producer of SWTOR

The fact they are thousands of years before the movies The new Story Group probably doesn't care much. Disney is very much locked on Movie time and later era only right now
So you're saying there's a chance?

Well, time to message Disney and request they evaluate the Old Republic era and keep it Canon

Cheebo

Banned
So you're saying there's a chance?

Well, time to message Disney and request they evaluate the Old Republic era and keep it Canon

These posts are exactly what I am talking about what confuses me. Why do people keep saying Disney? Disney doesnt have the story group. Lucasfilm does. When people refer to Marvel movies they always say Marvel or Marvel Studios, pretty much never Disney. Lucasfilm operates like Marvel Studios within Disney.

Even all the fake trailers for The Force Awakens had Disney cards, and the teaser in the end at the very end only had a card at the end for Lucasfilm and said copyright Lucasfilm only. People seem so Disney centric when it comes to Lucasfilm but never Marvel when Lucasfilm and Marvel Studios are in the exact same sort of situation under Disney.

I'd understand if people used Disney when referring to Marvel Studios but they don't. But always do for Lucasfilm? I can't figure out the logic on this at all.

Cheebo

Banned
Simple error. Wasn't aware at how much ownership they still had.

Time to ask Lucasfilm/Lucasarts, then

Well it is not really aimed at you personally, sorry. I just used you as an example. It's strangely very very widespread. I am just curious why it happened with Lucasfilm but not Marvel Studios. I mean you see it multiple times on this very page.

LastNac

I dunno. I don't remember hearing about any big push, internally, from either Lucasfilm OR Disney regarding getting the originals out.

But it is known that there's a 4K restoration either ongoing or just recently finished regarding the Original Trilogy.

I remember reading that a lot of the older prints are decaying at a substantial rate. How hard would it be to get 4K quality?

antonz

I remember reading that a lot of the older prints are decaying at a substantial rate. How hard would it be to get 4K quality?

A few Private collectors have their hands on original copies in fantastic quality. Of course their possession of them is technically illegal so that's always been an issue with any kind of cooperation.

Because he's 70 he can't do cocky maneuvers in the Falcon?

What kind of logic is this? Is he just supposed to fly casual or what?

Have you seen harrison ford act over the last 15 years? The man's charming screen presence is 100% gone. I'm hoping JJ can somehow make it work in this movie though.

Well it is not really aimed at you personally, sorry. I just used you as an example. It's strangely very very widespread. I am just curious why it happened with Lucasfilm but not Marvel Studios. I mean you see it multiple times on this very page.

I think Marvel as a brand has been much more prominently attached to their properties, historically. No one ever really thought "Lucasfilm" when they heard "Star Wars." The name George Lucas, perhaps, but not "Lucasfilm."

Cheebo

Banned
Have you seen harrison ford act over the last 15 years? The man's charming screen presence is 100% gone. I'm hoping JJ can somehow make it work in this movie though.

Has Ford acted for a single director who is at the level that Abrams is at currently? Spielberg did do Indy 4 but that entire movie it was obvious Spielberg was phoning it in. Abrams on the other hand seems extremely enthusiastic. I can't recall the last time Ford worked with a director like that.

If there is anyone who can get a energetic Ford performance I think its JJ Abrams.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I think Marvel as a brand has been much more prominently attached to their properties, historically. No one ever really thought "Lucasfilm" when they heard "Star Wars." The name George Lucas, perhaps, but not "Lucasfilm."

I always think 20th century fox, due to the fanfare. Will be very strange without it come EP7.

Cheebo

Banned
I always think 20th century fox, due to the fanfare. Will be very strange without it come EP7.

Which is just as weird lol. Seeing how Fox had nothing really much to do with the production either after A New Hope.

As for Ford. Full list of film/directors he has worked with the past 10 years:

Richard Loncraine - Firewall
Steven Spielberg - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Wayne Kramer - Crossing Over
Tom Vaughan - Extraordinary Measures
Roger Michell - Morning Glory
Jon Favreau - Cowboys & Aliens
Brian Helgeland - 42
Robert Luketic - Paranoid
Gavin Hood - Ender's Game
Adam McKay - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
Patrick Hughes - The Expendables 3
J.J. Abrams - Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Of all those films that have already come out I think clearly not a single one was all that interested in trying to get a decent performance out of Ford.

Cheebo

Banned
I maintain there was a sparkle in Ford's eye in Crystal Skull that wasn't there in any other film since God knows when.

And I think Abrams will be trying much harder than Spielberg did to get Ford to emote. I am not saying Ford is going to be full on 1980's Ford or anything but I will be surprised if he isn't showing more energy than he has in the last 15 years mostly due to Abrams forcing it out of him. Abrams is a pretty hyper type of guy .

I maintain there was a sparkle in Ford's eye in Crystal Skull that wasn't there in any other film since God knows when.

Fords performance in Crystal Skull was the least problem with that film. If Ford was given the proper motivation and direction from Abrams while being given his wish of having Han die, I think the early reports of Han stealing this movie might be correct. I felt Ford was the best part of Cowboys vs Aliens and was serviceable in Ender's Game.

The real question I have is if Chewie is going to go down with Han and or the Falcon.

Cheebo

Banned
I can't see Han dying not in the Falcon. Him getting shot and just lying there dead seems...so un-Han like. It has to be going out in a blaze of glory in the Falcon. I think all the Falcon hype they have been doing plays into that as well.

As for Chewie? I think he goes down with Han. Chewie as a character wouldn't work without Han I think. Plus Chewie wouldn't let Han go pilot the Falcon on any kind of doomed mission alone.

Plus I think the most dramatic way to kill Han is him going down knowingly and willingly to save the day in that cockpit with Chewie.

I can't see Han dying not in the Falcon. Him getting shot and just lying there dead seems...so un-Han like. It has to be going out in a blaze of glory in the Falcon. I think all the Falcon hype they have been doing plays into that as well.

As for Chewie? I think he goes down with Han. Chewie as a character wouldn't work without Han I think. Plus Chewie wouldn't let Han go pilot the Falcon on any kind of doomed mission alone.

Plus I think the most dramatic way to kill Han is him going down knowingly and willingly to save the day in that cockpit with Chewie.

One way to keep Chewie alive would be to protect one of Han's possible children? Or maybe Han tricks Chewie to keep Chewie alive when he goes on that suicide sacrifice.

Cheebo

Banned
One way to keep Chewie alive would be to protect one of Han's possible children? Or maybe Han tricks Chewie to keep Chewie alive when he goes on that suicide sacrifice.
I could see that. I think Chewie would have a better chance of surviving than the Falcon.

I can picture a Abrams sort of scene of Han (with or without Chewie) in the iconic cockpit as it starts to come apart with some dramatic Williams music.

I could see that. I think Chewie would have a better chance of surviving than the Falcon.

I can picture a Abrams sort of scene of Han (with or without Chewie) in the iconic cockpit as it starts to come apart with some dramatic Williams music.

It probably has to happen, but there will be a lot of feels...

Right now I don't think it's possible for JJ to kill Han and not cause me to be really angry. Only main character I can possibly comprehend dying is Luke in some grand Jedi moment, making brief cameos later on as a force ghost.

Cheebo

Banned
Right now I don't think it's possible for JJ to kill Han and not cause me to be really angry.
Well you are supposed to react to something like that, it should hurt.

And it's got to be Han first. Harrison Ford is not going to want to stick around for a full trilogy and to write him off would be a disservice to the character. Not to mention Lawrence Kasdan who is writing this badly wanted to hill Han in Jedi but was over-ruled by Lucas. Kasdan has maintained that Han's story arc should end with him dying. Ford has said so in interviews as well.

The writers wish for the character, Fords wish, and not to mention the slim likelihood of having Ford at 72+ stick around for a full trilogy all leads to him being a goner.

Well you are supposed to react to something like that, it should hurt.

I'm not talking about a normal reaction of hurt and sadness to a sad plot. I mean legitimately upset with everyone involved for their creative decisions. I will have no control over my emotions, I will freak the hell out completely irrationally.

I just can't handle it, guys. I can't handle it! You can't kill Han!
Hold me.

this is sort of OT, but i posted this in the trailer thread and didnt get any feed back on my question..

so.. i was in my theater room, again, and was watching the trailer for the force awakens and im listening to the mysterious voice (serkis) speakingduring the trailer; it sounds as if the character has a voice modulater, or mask on their face that is causing this effec with their voicet. the closest thing i can relate it to is an extremely light version of how Cad Bane sounded. like i said im listening to this trailer on excellent speakers so im not mistaken about the effect, there is definitely something going on with serkis's voice. im just wondering if anyone else has brought this up and possibly if it could point us towards who the character may be. i know some of the rumors circulating are stating serkis plays an alien, possibly even a couple alien characters. so idk, anyone ha any thoughts?

this is sort of OT, but i posted this in the trailer thread and didnt get any feed back on my question..

so.. i was in my theater room, again, and was watching the trailer for the force awakens and im listening to the mysterious voice (serkis) speakingduring the trailer; it sounds as if the character has a voice modulater, or mask on their face that is causing this effec with their voicet. the closest thing i can relate it to is an extremely light version of how Cad Bane sounded. like i said im listening to this trailer on excellent speakers so im not mistaken about the effect, there is definitely something going on with serkis's voice. im just wondering if anyone else has brought this up and possibly if it could point us towards who the character may be. i know some of the rumors circulating are stating serkis plays an alien, possibly even a couple alien characters. so idk, anyone ha any thoughts?

It's weird really. We know but don't know. The concept art with a sith like figure wearing a mask is probably the guy we see from behind in the teaser trailer, but we also hear that Driver is "the new Vader" and there might be Inquisitors and Van Sydow has some sort of connection to the Empire. My hope that whoever is the new villain, doesn't die and stays the villain throughout the new trilogy. I don't want a new Sith lord every movie like in the Prequel trilogy. Maul should have been the main bad guy throughout the prequels before Vader took him out in Episode 3.

I'm not talking about a normal reaction of hurt and sadness to a sad plot. I mean legitimately upset with everyone involved for their creative decisions. I will have no control over my emotions, I will freak the hell out completely irrationally.

I just can't handle it, guys. I can't handle it! You can't kill Han!
Hold me.

Yeah, you're just gonna have to start prepping for the eventuality you're going to see two, if not all three of the original trio dying in this trilogy

Yeah, you're just gonna have to start prepping for the eventuality you're going to see two, if not all three of the original trio dying in this movie.

I have no problems with the passing of the torch as long as it's done right. It also should be used to shown that anyone can die at anytime in this new trilogy. One problem with the prequels is that we already knew who was going to survive and who wasn't. That's why I had no problems reading spoilers. I think I'm going to try to stay away from spoilers for Episodes 8 and 9 though.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah, you're just gonna have to start prepping for the eventuality you're going to see two, if not all three of the original trio dying in this movie.

I think they will only kill Han this time (well Han and Chewie), to kind of let that soak in. Luke dying against the new bad guy after coming out of seclusion be almost TOO Kenobi in A New Hope like and a bit too on the nose for this. There is no chance at all he is making it out of this trilogy alive though.

Leia...doesn't really matter. I don't think she has an important role to play in any of this.

Edit: Ah yes, makes sense then.

My guess is Han & Chewie in VII, Luke in IX. Leia again..doesn't matter she will just kind of fade away into the background.

I think they will only kill Han this time, to kind of let that soak in. Luke dying against the new bad guy after coming out of seclusion be almost TOO Kenobi in A New Hope like and a bit too on the nose for this. There is no chance at all he is making it out of this trilogy alive though.

Leia...doesn't really matter. I don't think she has an important role to play in any of this.

I feel like their is something missing about Fisher/Leia's role. She really seemed to be living in London too long for a glorified cameo as one poster mentioned earlier in this thread.

Cheebo

Banned
I feel like their is something missing about Fisher/Leia's role. She really seemed to be living in London too long for a glorified cameo as one poster mentioned earlier in this thread.

Didn't she say the 6 months things a little while prior to shooting? Bobby's little theory of her role being shrunk down once shooting began due to her bizzare personality would fit into that.

Didn't she say the 6 months things a little while prior to shooting? Bobby's little theory of her role being shrunk down once shooting began due to her bizzare personality would fit into that.

I thought she was healthier these last few years, doing one man plays and Jenny Craig commercials or something?

Cheebo

Banned
I thought she was healthier these last few years, doing one man plays and Jenny Craig commercials or something?
Jenny Craig was a few years ago. She has had multiple public breakdowns since then. The insane cruise breakdown was post-Jenny Craig and her one woman show. I mean I HOPE she has a good role and does well but the lack of many leaks compared to Ford and Hamill is pretty odd.

CD'S BAR

I think Leia will fade away/be written off but not actually die. I don't think they'll kill off chewie, either. I think Han's death would mean a lot more if they keep Chewie alive to lament it.

Top Bottom