• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

bengraven

(response to speculation)
People have been saying that since Daisy Ridley was cast.

(further speculation)
Just as people have been saying how much Adam Driver looks like a young Harrison Ford...

(absurd speculation)
So they're probably cousins.

I know, I'm just saying to that to me this confirms it.

My only complaint so far about this movie is Rey. I really cant get warm with her... maybe im unfamiliar with female heroes. But i would rather have Finn as the main character :/

But anway, next week its finally happening :)

Here, I'll explain the concept of female heroes to you.

She's a hero, and she is a woman.

It's simple as that. It shouldn't be any harder for you to "get warm" with her than anyone else.

My only complaint so far about this movie is Rey. I really cant get warm with her... maybe im unfamiliar with female heroes. But i would rather have Finn as the main character :/

But anway, next week its finally happening :)

Wow. This comment seems to have some deep undertones on a different matter other than Star Wars and Rey. I hope I'm just misreading this.

graffix13

I love Rey. She is going to be a great protagonist for the ST.

Now I just hope she is the daughter of Luke. We need a female Skywalker (Besides Shimi).

It's her first gig, she is an investment for the future. Lot of people have been auditioned for this role, she must have something that led her to where she is now.
But it's strange that some people cannot connect/identify with female characters.

Eh, I don't think anyone here really cares. We're all waiting for Attack of the Clones 3D.

Wasn't that shown at a Comic-Con or Star Wars Celebration a few years ago?

Edit: It was shown at Star Wars Celebration Europe II in July 2013.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_II:_Attack_of_the_Clones#3D_re-release

Disney has a good track record of releasing 3D movies on Blu-Ray. I wonder, when they gain the ability to release the movies on home video (sans A New Hope), if they will release the 3D versions of the prequels. Surely all future Star Wars movies released in 3D (such as TFA) will get 3D Blu-Ray releases. Every Marvel Cinematic Universe movie since Captain America 1 has a 3D release (though Thor 2 was the first MCU movie Disney released without another studio).

Rootbeer

Banned
70 minutes of star wars goodness coming your way

Star Wars The Force Awakens Global Press Conference with Carrie Fisher, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Lupita Nyong'o, JJ Abrams & Lawrence Kasdan. Watch Star Wars The Force Awakens Global Press Conference Part 2 with Harrison Ford, John Boyega, Gwendoline Christie, Oscar Isaac & Kathleen Kenned

Pt. 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cZUHQTBGBE
Pt. 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nn-zq-iisI

Also if you want to listen to the great Stern interview of Adam Driver I've seen a lot of youtube videos uploaded of it. I haven't dived into it yet but I've heard it's really great and that he opens up a lot more than we've seen in most of his other press appearances

Man I bought New Dawn immediately after listening to the awesome sample but it instantly turns dull. Boring as hell so far.

Like 9 chapters in and Kanan & Hera have maybe 5 minutes total combined so far.

d1rtn4p

Im not watching much movies where a female is the Hero. The last couple Star Wars movies? We had mostly only boys.
And i dont know, but it really dont like Rey so far. Dont know what it is. But thats only because of the limited footage we got. Maybe i will end up liking her after the Movie.

Why is it weird?

I actually think Rey is OK. I don't think she has the natural screen charisma of Leia from the OT, but she seems much better than Portman. Finn is the one I'm concerned about. A lot of his lines sound really forced or over-acted. We'll see.

Aiii

So not worth it
I actually think Rey is OK. I don't think she has the natural screen charisma of Leia from the OT, but she seems much better than Portman. Finn is the one I'm concerned about. A lot of his lines sound really forced or over-acted. We'll see.

Not to come off as a dick, but don't you think you should actually see the movie before making judgments like these? A couple of two minute trailers with a line or two each by these actors are hardly going to give you any information on the actual acting in the movie.

d1rtn4p

Not to come off as a dick, but don't you think you should actually see the movie before making judgments like these? A couple of two minute trailers with a line or two each by these actors are hardly going to give you any information on the actual acting in the movie.

I should and you're right. But being a 40 year Star Wars fanatic, it's hard not to pick things out from the trailers. I am hoping I'll love it!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Global Press Conference with Carrie Fisher, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Lupita Nyong'o, JJ Abrams & Lawrence Kasdan. Watch Star Wars The Force Awakens Global Press Conference Part 2 with Harrison Ford, John Boyega, Gwendoline Christie, Oscar Isaac & Kathleen Kenned

Also if you want to listen to the great Stern interview of Adam Driver I've seen a lot of youtube videos uploaded of it. I haven't dived into it yet but I've heard it's really great and that he opens up a lot more than we've seen in most of his other press appearances

Okay once that got to the audience questions those interviews got great.
Carrie Fisher: "I started girl power, DEAL WITH IT.", "That's what JJ brought to this, sobriety".

Thanks for posting these. I had a look for some highlights yesterday but couldn't find any.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't know, I couldn't get through the first few chapters myself. The writing style (mostly the way the writer constructs sentences) is absolutely dreadful to me.

Is Aftermath worth reading? I'm a little ways into it, but so far it's just a bunch of disjointed asides with a bunch of characters I don't know or care about. If it comes together at some point I might stick with it.

I thought it was decent. The story does come together at the end but it doesn't have a huge impact on anything either way.The interludes are an odd inclusion as they hurt the pacing a bit, but they were enjoyable little updates on the status of each planet.

The writing style is different but I'd adjusted to it after a chapter or two. It didn't stop me enjoying it.

Then again if you're really not enjoying it, it's probably not worth wasting your time on it.

shingi70

Banned
It was decent, the main story outside of Bones, Sinjir, and Sloane was pretty boring. The interludes is surprisingly enough where the meat of the book comes from.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
9 Days.

I cant believe it. And I am not hyped to death. I hope I am able to keep my expectations in check until i am in the cinema and dont loose again on the last days like with Age of Ultron

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
My biggest worry personally is twitch chat, i watch so many streams and you could not open a chat on any streamer with a decent number of viewers and not be spoiled about fallout 4 by trolls.

But twitch chat makes games so much more fun :(

Interfectum

People react to Phantom Menace at the theatres. Very surprising.

http://screencrush.com/phantom-menace-fans-first-screening/

I don't think so, tbh. When the movie ended in my sold out theater everyone clapped, hooted and people were like "Star Wars is back!"

I think a lot of people went into Episode I thinking they were going to like it no matter what. I even heard a lot of excuses when I admitted that I thought it was shit.

"They are just building ground work."

"This is all build up, just wait."

It took awhile for people to come to terms with the fact that a Star Wars movie sucked.

Fj0823

Let's be real, star wars movie sucking will keep happening, that's life.

Anyone expecting yearly ESBs is delusional.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

If they give me a solid 7/10 id be happy, especially since this is a trilogy and the next few films can iterate and expand.

If they give me an 8 id be incredibly happy

Interfectum

I just want a solid trilogy for this next one. It doesn't have to be ESB or anything. It's tough being a Star Wars fan when I hate half the movies made for the series. Reduce that to 1/3 and we cool.

Fj0823

If they give me a solid 7/10 id be happy, especially since this is a trilogy and the next few films can iterate and expand.

If they give me an 8 id be incredibly happy

Yeah 7-80s for mainline films is my expectation too, and this coming from someone who enjoys the prequels.

I'd forgive low 60's anthologies though

Mr Cola

Yeah 7-80s for mainline films is my expectation too, and this coming from someone who enjoys the prequels.

I'd forgive low 60's anthologies though

Im seriously thinking of going full internet blackout from the premier just because I can imagine, infact I think its inevitable, there will be a few reviews that hate it and a narrative will develop "Star wars fails to do xxxx/yyyy" and it will colour my first viewing.

I genuinely want to see this and not be swayed one way or another going in

This looks like it might be good:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...s-star-wars-evolution-of-the-lightsaber-duel/

“Star Wars” fans who have asked “Where is Luke Skywalker?” will find him next week, ahead of the premiere of “The Force Awakens,” on ESPN, of all places.

Mark Hamill will host “Star Wars: Evolution of the Lightsaber Duel,” an SC Featured documentary that explores the Kendo roots of Jedi and Sith swordfighting, and features interviews with martial-arts experts, George Lucas, John Boyega and more. As you can see in the promo below, the special also looks at the development of lightsaber combat throughout the “Star Wars” saga.

“Star Wars: Evolution of the Lightsaber Duel” premieres Tuesday, Dec. 15, at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN.

Mr Cola

Strange but it only just occured to me I havent seen Hamill do any late night or single interviews and the rest of the cast has, for obvious reasons.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I watched that promo vid where he was dressed up as a stormtrooper and Hamill looks pretty badass now. He won't be tough to sell as jedi master

Episode VII could suck and I'd survive as long as the groundwork it lays is good. It's setting the stage for everything to come, mainline trilogy or not, so it's important that the universe it establishes is interesting.

Mr Cola

Episode VII could suck and I'd survive as long as the groundwork it lays is good. It's setting the stage for everything to come, mainline trilogy or not, so it's important that the universe it establishes is interesting.

Exactly, set up the characters, the tone and so long as both are interesting and comparable to what Star Wars is and feels like im in. Im not sure how the public at large are going to react, a few months ago I thought so long as the film "Felt" like star wars it would get a pass but the way hype has built up recently, some are expecting the second coming.

Cant reinvent Star Wars

Fj0823

Agreed. The movie must build the basis for something great.

That saber duel thing with Hamill, Boyega and Lucas sounds cool. I hope TFA finds a nice middle ground in combat styles, like Rebels did.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I don't think so, tbh. When the movie ended in my sold out theater everyone clapped, hooted and people were like "Star Wars is back!"

I think a lot of people went into Episode I thinking they were going to like it no matter what. I even heard a lot of excuses when I admitted that I thought it was shit.

"They are just building ground work."

"This is all build up, just wait."

It took awhile for people to come to terms with the fact that a Star Wars movie sucked.

Posted this hundreds of times by now, but people should watch this segment from a doc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxbPybTg08E

Bweep boop.

image38.jpeg

Interfectum

Posted this hundreds of times by now, but people should watch this segment from a doc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxbPybTg08E

Goddamn... that's exactly how it was. I remember a random Star Wars fan hearing me say it sucked as we were walking out of the theater... he kept ranting "don't say it sucked, don't say it sucked" in a very hostile way almost to the point where I thought he was going to start swinging. lol

I didn't go see it again in theaters. In fact I don't think I've ever fully watched it past the opening night. Sometimes I'd catch the beginning, other times the end.

Episode I is easily my biggest disappointment across all entertainment. Nothing tops that.

Top Bottom