• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

BFIB

Oh man, this hype is just in full effect right now. I'm trying to keep it in check by reminding myself of Episode 1's hype and the aftermath of it.

Very nice looking!

OT threads are ok to go up a week before release based on my conversation with Cornballer in May when I did the Mad Max thread. So just throw up it up tomorrow or if you prefer to wait then next Monday or Tuesday given the premiere and when the alleged reviews are supposed to hit!

He might be able to create the thread this week, SW opens the 16th for a lot of countries. Who is in charge for the spoiler thread?

People have released the first official pictures of Carrie's daughter, Billy Lourd in the film.

star-wars-lourde-fix-435.jpg

image52.jpeg

I swear I've seen that hairdo before somewhere...

He might be able to create the thread this week, SW opens the 16th for a lot of countries. Who is in charge for the spoiler thread?

A couple people have volunteered me, I guess. I can probably put that up Monday night or Tuesday, considering there will be press/preview screenings and I'm certain someone somewhere will spill, embargoes be damned.

MattyG

Banned
People have released the first official pictures of Carrie's daughter, Billy Lourd in the film.

star-wars-lourde-fix-435.jpg

image52.jpeg

I swear I've seen that hairdo before somewhere...
I'm assuming she's just a background character?

And yeah, that droid looks fucking great. I do have to wonder if this will get nominated for anything. I didn't think of it until now, probably because it seems like such a mainstream release that may not be seen in that light.

I'm assuming she's just a background character?

And yeah, that droid looks fucking great. I do have to wonder if this will get nominated for anything. I didn't think of it until now, probably because it seems like such a mainstream release that may not be seen in that light.

Yeah, she's playing a background Resistance character. I assume she'll get a few lines though.

kaiju

Just read this short story on the Crimson Corsair. Damn, this dude kicks ass. Might be my favorite new minor character in the upcoming films. Great read.

tumblr_nynbvfmXCS1unfbp9o1_500.jpg

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I love that blue droid, my favourite one released so far

Also if you thought the poster was crowded :O

star-wars-a-435.jpg

Well this explains why Michael Arndt received a story credit. This article from io9 is well worth a read.

For Larry’s psyche, he wanted to sort of start fresh” and abandon the script they had been working on with Arndt, Abrams said. “And I said to him, ‘Look, we’re gonna start to reincorporate very quickly many things because I know I want this young woman to be at the center of this thing. I know I want this Stormtrooper to abandon his post.’ There are just fundamental tenets of what we had come up with [with Arndt] that were gonna stick.”

So Finn and Rey originated from what progress Kasdan and Arndt worked on.

Abrams on the EU:

“It became very clear that if we were adhere to the Expanded Universe, it would have been a very tricky thing to navigate,” Abrams said. “It wasn’t even clear what is canon in the Expanded Universe. And I don’t think the vast majority of Star Wars fans have ever read a [Star Wars] novel. We can’t try and please every fan of that universe first. We have to try and tell the best version of a Star Wars movie.”

“I thought ‘If ideas that come up feel like they overlap and feel like they work? Great,’” he said. “But we can’t adhere to something that is as vast [as the EU], and frankly [is] lesser known than the films.”

On what Lawrence Kasdan taught him:

"Trust the audience. Trust the characters and that the audience will feel more, in a way, the less you explain the stuff to them. And the challenge is always to make it satisfying and clear and not feel like you’re being preached to."

--

I finally got round to listening to a few of the Full of Sith highlights as well. Really enjoyed the Last Gasp podcast Bobby. It's a great summary of the fanbase and what's wrong and right with it.

Simo

Variety article about the Oscar Race and Film Composers. John Williams talks about TFA scoring sessions.

I found this particular part interesting:
The composer began work last December and basically continued all year, completing the recording in mid-November. His 90-piece orchestra recorded 175 minutes of music, he says, although nearly an hour of that was discarded, modified or rerecorded as Abrams re-edited the film. Snoke’s theme was recorded by a 24-voice men’s chorus.

More chorus is good. Duel of the Fates is a great piece of Williams' work.

Im sure he will be back for viii and ix if he can. What a loss for the industry when hes gone tho :(

Absolutely. There are gonna be some fantastic "In Memorium" pieces for him some day. Hopefully they're still a long way off, though.

Whichever of you is doing the OT, let me know when you're putting it up in a PM so I can get the Spoiler thread up (w/ a link back to the OT) as close as possible.

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't think that one can "reserve" an OT-making privilege a year in advance.

According to The |OT| |OT| he did call it in May 2014 and it's been on the list.

Sorry to WadiumArcadium, but you can't get into the OT game and not be aware of that thread. It exists so these problems do not occur.

I already ran into a problem where I reserved the TMNT movie thread (yeah, I know, I know) and was working on it and someone threw up an OT before I did. It was very irritating. So, I am siding with Cystm here.

When conflicts arise the people working on the OTs must cooperate. So hopefully you guys can get it together and fast... cause that OT needs to go up soon :p

According to The |OT| |OT| he did call it in May 2014 and it's been on the list.

Sorry to WadiumArcadium, but you can't get into the OT game and not be aware of that thread. It exists so these problems do not occur.

I already ran into a problem where I reserved the TMNT movie thread (yeah, I know, I know) and was working on it and someone threw up an OT before I did. It was very irritating. So, I am siding with Cystm here.

When conflicts arise the people working on the OTs must cooperate. So hopefully you guys can get it together and fast... cause that OT needs to go up soon :p

I didn't even know this thread existed lol. It's fine, I didn't see anyone else mention they were working on one so I thought I'd go ahead.

I don't think that one can "reserve" an OT-making privilege a year in advance.

I didn't even know it was that big a deal. You learn something new every day.

Cheebo

Banned
I already called for doing the OT a year ago and it's already done.

I'll PM it to you, see if you think there is anything that should be added though.
You can't call it a year out then disappear. He is waaaay more active here in these SW threads. Would be kind of absurd if you did it over him honestly. Makes no sense.

It would be really weird if someone who wasn't at all active in the SW-GAF threads to do it.

Wadium or bust!

ghostmind

I didn't even know this thread existed lol. It's fine, I didn't see anyone else mention they were working on one so I thought I'd go ahead.

I didn't even know it was that big a deal. You learn something new every day.

I've been here for over a decade, and I didn't know that you could do that.

Kind of absurd to not participate in the community and then show up out of the blue to claim thread-making privileges, but you seem to be taking it in stride (and Cystm seems willing to work with you).

I do agree that we need that OT now.

Cheebo

Banned
Been posting a gaf for a decade had no idea about that OT thread either.

It 100% should be Wadium.

It makes no sense for someone who is completely absent from all Star Wars discussion threads to do the OT, Wadium is the #1 Star Wars guy at GAF. It is his thread to post. Someone calls dibs way in advance then sits out allS tar Wars discussion just so he can post the OT? That's nonsense.

Cystm

You can't call it a year out then disappear. He is waaaay more active here in these SW threads. Would be kind of absurd if you did it over him honestly. Makes no sense.

It would be really weird if someone who wasn't at all active in the SW-GAF threads to do it.

Wadium or bust!

I didn't disappear lol. Tbh I avoided these threads to prevent any potential spoilers, but I can see where you are coming from.

When this dang windows update finishes, I'll link what I have to Wadium and get his input.

Cystm

Been posting a gaf for a decade had no idea about that OT thread either.

It 100% should be Wadium.

I mean look at the Star Wars OT members post count. Wadium has the most posts out of anyone with 651. Outsideo f his one post to declare he is doing the OT Cystm has 1 single post.

It makes no sense for someone who is completely absent from all Star Wars discussion threads to do the OT, Wadium is the #1 Star Wars guy at GAF. It is his thread to post. He calls dibs way in advance then sits out all discussion just so he can post the OT? That's nonsense.

Exactly. Do it now man.

lol. I've actually made quite a few star wars discussion threads. Almost exclusively. I avoided the movie threads because I am not interested in discussing the new movie until after I've seen it.

Edit: They don't want off topic threads posted more than a day in advance.

The purpose of the OT OT is to avoid this "nonsense" I am perfectly willing to collaborate with anyone on the OT and have been for over a year

I am sorry you do not know how things work, put time into this thread, and as such are putting the weight of your argument in that, but what you are asking for and the way in which you are asking for it is starting to sound childish.

Cheebo

Banned
lol. I've actually made quite a few star wars discussion threads. Almost exclusively. I avoided the movie threads because I am not interested in discussing the new movie until after I've seen it.

Just gaming threads about the old republic. This is the overall Star Wars OT though, not the TFA thread with spoilers. It's more that you dont post at all in any non-gaming Star Wars threads, not just the TFA spoiler ones.

Someone active in the Star Wars GAF community really should be the one doing this, I am sure the vast majority would agree here.

Cystm

Wadium, I sent you a PM.

I even got to the point a few months ago where I would search the OT OT thread to see if anyone else said anything at all about wanting to work on the thread.

It's really not my problem that you do not know how this works.

I am trying to be understanding and even still, now want to work with Wadium, but tbh you are coming off as a child about this simple almost entirely non thing.

Cystm

Yeah, not true. One week ahead of time is just fine.

-Don't post your official thread earlier than the day of the game's release (excepting multiplayer-centric games with large-scale long-term open betas, like Dota 2, which are addressed individually). |OT|s are not for news, so they have no reason to exist while we're still in the news cycle.

Am I understanding this wrong?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468233

Edit: according to this, you are right.

Official Threads

As most of you know, an |OT| should be created no earlier than seven days prior to its game's release.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449749

Top Bottom