• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Been a long time since I saw the OT. I forgot how good Vader's dialogue is

- "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force"
- "When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master"
- "The force is with you, young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet. "

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
For a friend's birthday I bought him a Yoda Infinity fig. I never looked at these things twice before (I have enough Amiibos as it is), but man these are some great little figures. Another friend got him Vader, and those two posed opposite of each other... badass. I already feel the pull of those figures, most of them look incredible (Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, etc. too).

Oh and I bought Lost Stars! That'll be the first SW novel I ever read.

curb

Banned
For a friend's birthday I bought him a Yoda Infinity fig. I never looked at these things twice before (I have enough Amiibos as it is), but man these are some great little figures. Another friend got him Vader, and those two posed opposite of each other... badass. I already feel the pull of those figures, most of them look incredible (Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, etc. too).

Oh and I bought Lost Stars! That'll be the first SW novel I ever read.

Disney really upped their game with the 3.0 figures this year. The Star Wars figures all look so great. I'm really liking the Force Awakens ones I got yesterday. The game also happens to be pretty good too
- secretly the best Star Wars game this year.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i copped a Vader infinity for my desk, looks real dope

how do i go about playing the PS4 game? do i need to buy like a game + a stand or something? i'm pretty confused about the whole thing tbh

Fj0823

Is it true Ninja Theory worked on the combat mechanics for Infinity?

I loved what they did with DmC:DE, might buy the Ahsoka/Anakin Pack

Interfectum

Been a long time since I saw the OT. I forgot how good Vader's dialogue is

- "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force"
- "When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master"
- "The force is with you, young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet. "

The dialogue is okay... what makes those lines so amazing is James Earl Jones. Perfectly delivered.

JimiNutz

Banned
OK so I've now read Lords of the Sith, Battlefront: Twilight Company and Lost Stars any suggestions for what to read next? I've heard that Aftermath isn't particularly good, nor is Heir to the Jedi. I'm also not really interested in Tarkin. Thinking about The Force Awakens novelisation, is it supposed to be good?

OK so I've now read Lords of the Sith, Battlefront: Twilight Company and Lost Stars any suggestions for what to read next? I've heard that Aftermath isn't particularly good, nor is Heir to the Jedi. I'm also not really interested in Tarkin. Thinking about The Force Awakens novelisation, is it supposed to be good?

I'm interested in the TFA novelization too, so those who've read it, please chime in!

Last night I read 'High Noon on Jakku' to my kids at bedtime, and I have to say that it's a pretty fun and quick read.

PBalfredo

Just finished Lost Stars and I enjoyed it a lot for the most part, but near the end
Ciena started to go way overboard with her "honor above all" deal. It worked well for the character in the middle of the book where her values kept her loyal to the Empire and she still had reason to believe in it. But that motivation became real strained after her mother was framed by blatantly corrupt Imperials and she learned about the second Death Star. Around this time, the valley kindred notion of honor went from "Be loyal to who or what you believe in" to "Once you swear loyalty to someone, they own you for life, even if they're abusing your loyalty", which turns the kindred from a people noble in defeat to a culture of willing, permanent chumps. By the time Thane was trying to drag Ciena kicking and screaming off the bridge of the Inflictor, well after she herself has come to realize that she hated the Empire, it seemed more like she was dead set on ensuring the story had a tragic ending for the sake of it. Then the story just sort of ended with her still in New Republic prison, with her fate unsure since she still won't denounce the Empire. Meanwhile, Nash Dickweed Windrider is off swearing revenge. Is there suppose to be a sequel coming up?

Even though the ending soured me a bit, the majority of the book was good. I felt connected to the characters and it was a good low-level view of the events of the OT.

The three Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens short novel things are good. Smuggler's Run, Weapon of a Jedi and... Moving Target, IIRC. They're very Star War-sy and closer to the style of Lost Stars than some of the more idiosyncraticly-written adult ones like Aftermath . I bought the hardcovers, which are nice little objects.

Just finished Lost Stars and I enjoyed it a lot for the most part, but near the end
Ciena started to go way overboard with her "honor above all" deal. It worked well for the character in the middle of the book where her values kept her loyal to the Empire and she still had reason to believe in it. But that motivation became real strained after her mother was framed by blatantly corrupt Imperials and she learned about the second Death Star. Around this time, the valley kindred notion of honor went from "Be loyal to who or what you believe in" to "Once you swear loyalty to someone, they own you for life, even if they're abusing your loyalty", which turns the kindred from a people noble in defeat to a culture of willing, permanent chumps. By the time Thane was trying to drag Ciena kicking and screaming off the bridge of the Inflictor, well after she herself has come to realize that she hated the Empire, it seemed more like she was dead set on ensuring the story had a tragic ending for the sake of it. Then the story just sort of ended with her still in New Republic prison, with her fate unsure since she still won't denounce the Empire. Meanwhile, Nash Dickweed Windrider is off swearing revenge. Is there suppose to be a sequel coming up?

Even though the ending soured me a bit, the majority of the book was good. I felt connected to the characters and it was a good low-level view of the events of the OT.

Ciena reminded me of Ned Stark at the end. Her idea of honour over everything else.

I asked Claudia Gray and she said it was possible. It's been well received so I don't think it's that unlikely. She's written another SW book which could feature some of the characters in Lost Stars. It's called New Republic: Bloodline and comes out in March. It's set about six years before TFA.

sphagnum

Banned

Servants of the Empire.

Read Servants of the Empire.

Read Servants of the Empire.

PBalfredo

Ciena reminded me of Ned Stark at the end. Her idea of honour over everything else.

At least Ned's idea of honor
meant trying to do the right thing even at great personal risk (and risk to his family by extension).
Meanwhile, Ciena
continued to willingly serve those she knew to be evil, just so her personal honor wasn't besmirched. In a way, that's incredibly selfish of her. The story would have been much better if around the Battle of Endor she wished she could get away from the Empire but was too deep in to possibly defect, rather than choosing to stay loyal to the Empire all the way to the end.

shingi70

Banned
So have a few books left I haven't read yet.

Battlefront: Twilight Company
Moving Target
Smuggler's run
Before the awakening
servants of the empire #2-4

Hmm is that Visceral studios game 2016?

JDHarbs

Moving Target
Smuggler's run
Before the awakening

Likely 2017. We only heard about it earlier this year so I'm guessing a teaser next E3 with spring 2017 release just before Episode 8.

Sayers

Moving Target
Smuggler's run
Before the awakening

Almost definitely 2017. EA has Mass Effect Andromeda scheduled for next year. I doubt they would want to put those two games out at the same time.

Lawrence Kasdan was on Empire's podcast this week which I occasionally listen to. One of the presenters voiced her concerns that the Han Solo spin-off would be about why he owed Jabba money, the Kessel run etc. and his answer was pretty interesting.

I think it won’t be the thing you’re worried about. It will not be like here is where he was born and this is how he was raised. I think what it will be is what was he like ten years earlier, ya know maybe a little earlier you’ll get a glimpse but… what formed the person we meet in the cantina? It is not so much about his specific history. It is about what makes a person like that? He’s not full formed in the cantina! Kurosawa once said ‘the heroes are the ones that are still changing and the villains are locked and petrified into what they are’ and Harrison embodies in Force Awakens someone that’s still not settled on who he is.

shingi70

Banned
Likely 2017. We only heard about it earlier this year so I'm guessing a teaser next E3 with spring 2017 release just before Episode 8.

Almost definitely 2017. EA has Mass Effect Andromeda scheduled for next year. I doubt they would want to put those two games out at the same time.

That sucks but hopefully it gets the time in the oven needed. Hoping that Darth Maul game gets revived by Lucasfilm so his story can finally finish.

curb

Banned
That sucks but hopefully it gets the time in the oven needed. Hoping that Darth Maul game gets revived by Lucasfilm so his story can finally finish.

That would be a great way to wrap up his story. Have him eventually find Kenobi on Tatooine like that one-off comic.

sphagnum

Banned
Vader Down part 4 is out today. Wasn't a big fan.
What was it that distracted Vader, sensing Karbin coming or something like that? It wasn't portrayed very well.

ShaneB

I'm interested in the TFA novelization too, so those who've read it, please chime in!

I finished it up earlier today. I think it's certainly a worthy companion piece to the movie, which I guess should seem obvious. A lot of it does come across as a 1:1 reading of the movie, but there are some neat additions as well as some minor changes with how some scenes play out, and other things come across better with the power of written word, but others are obviously helped with the addition of having the movie in mind while reading.

I've always kinda known this...but the main reason i was never a Star Wars fan was because the main antagonist, in this sci fi/fantasy universe was leading a group of humans instead of an alien force.

I really like 7, really like 5, like 4...and love season 2-5 of the Clone Wars. But I'm not a fan because, as cool as Darth/Anakin is... they are men. They feel grounded and don't feel extraterrestrial.

IMO

Just thought I'd share.

Monocle

Interesting video, thanks.

I've always kinda known this...but the main reason i was never a Star Wars fan was because the main antagonist, in this sci fi/fantasy universe was leading a group of humans instead of an alien force.

I really like 7, really like 5, like 4...and love season 2-5 of the Clone Wars. But I'm not a fan because, as cool as Darth/Anakin is... they are men. They feel grounded and don't feel extraterrestrial.

IMO

Just thought I'd share.
There's a narrative justification for that. Emperor Palpatine was a speciesist who primarily employed humans while marginalizing other species. Of course, that doesn't let Lucas off the hook for choosing to arrange his universe that way in the first place, but at least the biological makeup of the Empire was commented on within the fiction.

For those that collect the Topps Journey to the Force Awakens cards. I bought some for my son for Christmas and he got some Lando one that doesn't have a number but a DD instead. Can someone let me know what this stands for?

ghostmind

For those that collect the Topps Journey to the Force Awakens cards. I bought some for my son for Christmas and he got some Lando one that doesn't have a number but a DD instead. Can someone let me know what this stands for?

Ah, this is from the UK card set, which is very different from the North America one.

I think the DD is to denote that it is one of the 10 limited edition subset cards, rather than the 207 card main set.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
We got so much fucking Star Wars shit for Xmas it's un fucking real.

BB-8 App Droid
PS4 Battlefront Bundle
X Wing Miniature Game
Bunch of Star Wars books for kids
BB-8 Key Chain
BB-8 Coffee Mug
Blu-Ray movie set (we only had the DVDs)
Shirts

Fj0823

BB-8 App Droid
PS4 Battlefront Bundle
X Wing Miniature Game
BB-8 Key Chain
BB-8 Coffee Mug
Shirts

I want your Christmas ):

curb

Banned
Absolutely zero Star Wars goodness in my Christmas. I'm an adult though so I made my own goodness by ordering a Kylo Ren Disney Infinity figure on the cheap and the Force Awakens Visual Dictionary.

Fj0823

I got a Blade builder Kylo Ren and Anakin Skywalker sabers for" my lil Bro." lol

Sad that I couldn't find any Grievous toy besides the shitty Hero Mashers stuff, that's his favorite character.

curb

Banned
my nieces and nephew got some star wars stuff. Kylo Ren saber, Yoda Saber, BB-8 Plush

i want that BB-8

I bought myself one of those BB-8s last weekend. My daughter loves it.

Reminds me, someone bought my daughter an Anakin and Vader toy lightsaber last weekend. There was some Star Wars Christmas love in my home overall.

Fj0823

I bought myself one of those BB-8s last weekend. My daughter loves it.

Reminds me, someone bought my daughter an Anakin and Vader toy lightsaber last weekend. There was some Star Wars Christmas love in my home overall.

Is it the one that alternates between Red and Blue?

Thing drives my OCD nuts.

Toxi

Banned
Okay, question: Why do I see so many grown adults saying they don't understand politics of The Phantom Menace? I can understand thinking the politics are too complicated for children, or that they're boring, or that they're too complicated for the other aspects to be given proper screentime... But confusing for adults?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Okay, question: Why do I see so many grown adults saying they don't understand politics of The Phantom Menace? I can understand thinking the politics are too complicated for children, or that they're boring, or that they're too complicated for the other aspects to be given proper screentime... But confusing for adults?

I thought the problem was that it focused way too much on the semantics rather than comprehension difficulties.

Its probably them not paying attention.
I need more politics in my Star Wars. Screw real politics, give me space politics.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

My Christmas Star Wars haul:

Stormtrooper wallet
The Art of Star Wars The Force Awakens book
Before the Awakening book
BB-8 keyring

JimiNutz

Banned

BB-8 App Droid
PS4 Battlefront Bundle
X Wing Miniature Game
BB-8 Key Chain
BB-8 Coffee Mug
Shirts

I got loads too.
Girlfriend bought me:

Millennium Falcon Drone
Disney Infinity Star Wars pack
Stormtrooper Mug
Star Wars T-shirt
Star Wars underwear
Star Wars socks
Limited edition Star Wars Vans

And I bought her a set of four Star Wars drinking glasses with Star Wars comic book print on them.

We are off to see that for the third time in a few hours too.

sphagnum

Banned

There are some weird issues with the politics in TPM, which is that they never explain why Sidious wants the Trade Federation to invade Naboo and get a treaty signed or what that would really accomplish for the Neimoidians, or why a dispute over the taxation of trade routes would lead to the TF blockading Naboo. It all makes sense when you remember that Palpatine's goal is to get himself into the chancellorship, but by itself it seems wonky.

Palpatine didn't plan on Amidala escaping and pleading with the Senate - he just turned that around and used it to his advantage. His original plan was to show just how corrupt the Senate was by creating a scenario where the TF pulled off an outrageously illegal stunt and the weak chancellor would be forced to recognize it; he could then call for a vote of no confidence and get himself elected. Instead, one Amidala escaped, he just had her do the plea for him before suzerainty could be recognized in the first place, and it all worked out. Presumably the TF just went along with whatever Sidious told them to do because they were greedy and he convinced them it would somehow be to their benefit. The EU came up with a good explanation about how the taxation of trade routes was a political crisis relating to the Stark Hyperspace War and how Naboo had a lot of plasma that the TF could control the trade of, but unfortunately that's all wiped out now. It would've been helpful if this stuff had been in the movie but then people would probably be even more bored.

I think George didn't really care about the reason behind the dispute because frankly it's not important. What's important is that Palpatine was manipulating the bureaucracy. It's like, nobody really cares to remember that Obamacare got passed through the weird arcane laws that Congress has set up (reconciliation), they just remember that it got passed. George probably felt like he didn't need to actually explain the trade dispute and processes behind everything so long as people understood "Hey Palpatine is controlling everything", but a lot of people just ended up confused. Just like people get confused over something as simple the New Republic/Resistance relationship.

This is why streamlining things isn't always a good thing.

JDHarbs

For the first time in my life, I got to see a Star Wars movie in the theater on my birthday. Pretty cool feeling.

Thanks again, Harrison Ford's leg.

Top Bottom