• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Was looking for the Phantom Menace trailer so I just searched "Phantom Menace" on YouTube and there are like 4 or 5 different full length fan edits on there. I guess Disney or Lucasfilm don't give a shit?

Because they know how ass those edits are.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
UZw1qXq.jpg

What a time to be alive. And we just get started with the Star Wars craze

I've been catching up on the Marvel comics, gonna give a quick summary of my feelings so far.

Darth Maul: pretty good, shame it wasn't animated as it's pretty much the only time General Grievous has done anything noteworthy.

Lando: one of the best, turned Lobot into a really interesting character (for a background character anyway)

Leia: also really good, the destruction of Alderaan has never been properly explored before.

Darth Vader: silly, but really fun, Vader's dialogue is written pretty perfectly.

Chewbacca: rubbish so far.

Kanan: probably the best, really neat story.

Still have a few left to read.

graffix13

Started reading the Revenge of the Sith novelization. Wow...great book. Dare I say better than the movie? (And I like the movie)

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm so excited for that Obikin comic. I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

Obikin? Is that their ship name???

The comic is pretty neat, though. It's great to see these guys before the Clone Wars after TPM. It's like being in the awkward middle stage between the two eras.

Quick

Banned
At the suggestion of many here, I just started watching The Clone Wars now that it's on Netflix.

I've seen four episodes so far, it's not bad. Story is compelling and I like the fleshing out of the Clone Wars further than the Gennedy Tartakovsky version.

Character models are okay, Anakin's eyes are staring right into my soul. The space battles have been impressive. I think some of you guys said the CG gets better as the series goes on. Should make space battles look even better.

The droids aren't bad either. The humour is on point. Legit had a laugh at Grievous shoving them out of the way, and one of them saying, "That's just rude."

However, it's a bit jarring that Grievous met Ovi-Wan when they only just met in Revenge of the Sith.

I'll also need to get used to Anakin taking on a Padawan, and Ahsoka never being referenced in the movies.

Dan Mindel's posted a BTS shot of the Finn Kylo duel. Nice how you can see the lit up prop sabers they used.

image-9.jpeg

EW have got some official shots of Snoke from the film too.

image-13.jpeg

image-6.jpeg

image-7.jpeg

Quick

Banned
I know it's clear that Anakin and Grievous had never met but I don't think it certain that Grievous and Kenobi had never met before.

I just watched their first encounter in Revenge of the Sith again, it's ambiguous, but maybe you're right - Grievous made a quip about their rescue, then addressed Anakin. But obviously the show was made after the movie, so there's no sense nitpicking to the highest degree. I just found it weird, but now that I've seen that bit in ROTS again, it could go either way.

Another thing I'll say about The Clone Wars: I like the personalities given to the Clones. They're a lot more like individuals in Revenge of the Sith, but I like that the show takes that further.

curb

Banned
I just watched their first encounter in Revenge of the Sith again, it's ambiguous, but maybe you're right - Grievous made a quip about their rescue, then addressed Anakin. But obviously the show was made after the movie, so there's no sense nitpicking to the highest degree. I just found it weird, but now that I've seen that bit in ROTS again, it could go either way.

I had always thought that it was all their first meeting but Clone Wars doesn't back that up. CW does always make sure that Anakin and Grievous never
consciously
meet though.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
To me Obi-Wan's "THIS TIME you wont escape" could means he's been part of failed attempts before.

Grievous says later in the film "You fool, I've been trained in Jedi so and so"

Pretty odd for a guy you've fought dozens of times already

Finished watching Revenge of the Sith.

That movie is perfectly OK if you are willing to let some nagging stuff fly.

But the green screen is real bad. Like not only is it super obvious but most of the times they do a "two people walking down the CG hallway" thing that pops up way too much in the II and III its shot exactly the same.

Its always this angle. Maybe sometimes its reversed but its always that angle before they stop and do the over the shoulder thing.

Did they just use the same set and camera rigging and just shoot all the hallway scenes at once or something?

Anyway I think I might give Attack of the Clones a go during the week. I dont really remember a lot about that movie other then Anikin hates sand. Natalie Portmans mid drift giving my 14 self feelings and I think the Death Star was mentioned once.

I am doing the IV-V-VI-VII-III-II order. Its the best way to experience the star wars movies /snark.

No, its not. Its just a stupid order and this flashback thing is nonsense.

Is it a actual order people recommend? Because I was joking.

I watched Episode 3 because I wanted to watch something Star Wars I didnt just watch and episode 3 was the "good" prequel movie.

Now I think I might watch II to keep the train rolling.

It looked like that Machete Order thing

Thats the joke.

Because screw people who thing there is ever any other kind of correct order to view any series then by release date.

I have just found myself in a weird pickle after I decided I didnt want to watch the prequels during my pre TFA prep and now here I am watching them backwards.

New Republic: Bloodline and the sequel to Aftermath have been delayed.

Just a little bit of publishing news today. Based on our publisher moving some dates, we are shifting the release dates for Claudia Gray's NEW REPUBLIC: BLOODLINE and Chuck Wendig's AFTERMATH: LIFE DEBT about six weeks each.

NEW REPUBLIC: BLOODLINE now 5/3 (was 3/29)
AFTERMATH: LIFE DEBT now 7/19 (was 5/31)

Oh sorry, I'm really out of the loop. I just heard it was canon and assumed it was Marvel.

Son of Dathomir isn't Marvel, but it was retained as canon because it was based off unmade Clone Wars material.

Curious if you bought the TPB or found individual issues? I've looked a few times myself, always seems so expensive.

Son of Dathomir isn't Marvel, but it was retained as canon because it was based off unmade Clone Wars material.

Curious if you bought the TPB or found individual issues? I've looked a few times myself, always seems so expensive.

Comixology's the best way to get it now really. The trade goes for insane prices.

MrDaravon

Holy shit.

http://biggerluke.wikidot.com/

Welcome to the Bigger Luke wiki, the only wiki online devoted to the Bigger Luke Hypothesis, the theory that in the original Star Wars films there is a slightly larger version of Luke Skywalker (or Mark Hamill as some Bigger Luke Theorists would posit) alongside regular Luke Skywalker.

The Bigger Luke Hypothesis can be a big issue to tackle. Try our getting started section to ease yourself into the galaxy of Bigger Luke and take your first step into a slightly larger world.

Edit: I'm done forever

http://biggerluke.wikidot.com/canon-luke-hypothesis

If R2 is indeed teleport-shuffling Luke Prime with a cloned Bigger Luke, this would imply that R2 has access to technology far beyond that of the rest of the galaxy. How does R2 have access to a technology that even the Empire lacks? The Empire is never seen utilizing any form of teleportation, and it is also possible that Luke's acknowledgement of teleportation was merely intended to be sarcastic, at least as far as the Star Wars canon is concerned. However, his otherwise tongue-in-cheek statement may be intended to hint to the viewer that Luke is, in fact, being teleported at regular intervals by some unknown force, probably R2.

This is legitimately fucking amazing.

Haha, is this satire, I guess?

In other news, I'm about halfway through season 2 of CW. I just watched The Deserter and The Lost Lightsaber. Both good episodes. The show is starting to get good. Are the clones sterile? Otherwise, why did they have to specify that they weren't his? EDIT: Oh duh, it's because it's only been a year or two since any of them left Waterworld... He couldn't possibly have a seven year old or however old she is.

Also, I like how Anakin is slowly not giving a shit more and more, and his bad influence on Ashoka is obvious... The old Jedi helping her track down her lightsaber is like "hmm, how should we approach this guy" and Ashoka's immediate solution is to just beat his ass until he talks, because she's learning everything about being a Jedi from a damned sociopath.

Speaking of which, I like how Anakin/Padme interactions manage to seem like FAR more natural dialogue than they ever had on screen, but yet deliberately depict the weird, forced awkward relationship they have. Like, Anakin kind of talks like a normal person to Obi Wan, Ashoka and the clones but when he gets around Padme, he kind of turns into a bit of a verbal caricature of Hayden's performance. Having just rewatched AotC really makes me notice it.

Sayers

Speaking of which, I like how Anakin/Padme interactions manage to seem like FAR more natural dialogue than they ever had on screen, but yet deliberately depict the weird, forced awkward relationship they have. Like, Anakin kind of talks like a normal person to Obi Wan, Ashoka and the clones but when he gets around Padme, he kind of turns into a bit of a verbal caricature of Hayden's performance. Having just rewatched AotC really makes me notice it.

I made this point a couple of days ago in another thread. Quoting myself:

I'm rewatching a couple of the Padme focused episodes, wanted to give them another chance. I have to say that Anakin and Padme's relationship is so much better here than in the movies. The relationship is of course very family-friendly but there is a playfulness and intimacy to their interactions that the films completely lacked.

They actually examine their relationship even further in later seasons, pointing out how very unhealthy the whole thing is.

Glad you are enjoying the show, it only gets better and better.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Haha, is this satire, I guess?

In other news, I'm about halfway through season 2 of CW. I just watched The Deserter and The Lost Lightsaber. Both good episodes.

So what did you think of the Geonosis arc? Still one of my favorites. I love how the story evolves
from pure action with big battles to more of a thriller like Alien.
Season 2 is actually really good, and to me the most consistent season of the series. Enjoy the rest of the show

Quick

Banned
I think I'm a little deep into season 1 of Clone Wars. Show's gotten into a good stride.

I finished the episode with Dooku captured by pirates, and Anakin and Obi-Wan verified this for the senate before they pay the pirates.

Next episode looks like it might be bananas, with Dooku, Anakin, and Obi-Wan working together.

They actually examine their relationship even further in later seasons, pointing out how very unhealthy the whole thing is.

Glad you are enjoying the show, it only gets better and better.

So what did you think of the Geonosis arc? Still one of my favorites. I love how the story evolves
from pure action with big battles to more of a thriller like Alien.
Season 2 is actually really good, and to me the most consistent season of the series. Enjoy the rest of the show

Awesome, yeah, it's really getting better as it goes. And yeah, the Genosis arc was great. It was interesting to see the contrast between Ashoka and Barris during that arc too. Barris is like the proper straight A student with a talented, by the book teacher in Luminara. Anakin's teaching style is about as far from the book as it gets. More like, ignore every rule and get by on luck a lot. Ashoka is definitely patterning herself after him. So after seeing our usual Bad News Bears crew for a while, it was like the show said PS here's what Jedis and Padawans are actually supposed to be like.

In other news, I just watched the three Satine episodes. She's fantastic. She's not a trope or typical archetype of any kind. Very nuanced and unique. She's idealistically pacifist, but carries a pistol everywhere and uses it, and it's a contradiction the show isn't afraid to immediately explore. Her decision making process unfolds and evolves, her dialogue is stilted and diplomatic during the discussion in front of the other senators on the ship, but very natural and warm when she's with Obi Wan. She has FAR more depth than some of the main characters. I love her. I don't know if she survives the show yet, but I hope she does. I hope she spends her latter years on Tatooine and is depicted in live action in the Obi Wan movie, and is Rey's grandmother. (Yeah, I know it'll never happen, lol.)

Oh also, in the middle of those three episodes, Anakin "solves a problem" in a way that makes the Imperial March play faintly in the background, lol. It's the second time in the last few. I'm going to guess that'll be happening more and more as time goes on.

Sayers

I got the Clone Wars Blu-Ray box set for Christmas and have been watching the making of docs.

Filoni is fucking awesome. Dude knows Star Wars, knows what it should be, how it should feel and what it should look like. He's also really funny. His George Takei impression was great.

Also, I wish I could rock a hat half as well as he does.

Top Bottom