• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Some pics from Xmas

20151226_201620r3seb.jpg

20151225_13080268svt.jpg

20151225_094548g3sin.jpg

20151225_094616y4ssx.jpg

20151224_143026kisaz.jpg

20151225_093144ofsd2.jpg

PS: Just got done playing some Super Star Wars for the first time in ages. Fuck that Jawa mode 7 speeder level. LoL

Pixels

We watched the OT for Christmas and the first two are amazing but Jedi is downright bad. TFA is definitely better than Jedi.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Almost done with the first season of Rebels. It started off pretty strong, but it petered out a bit, even though the
Tarkin ep
I just watched was ok. I love the team dynamic though, really feels like Firefly meets Star Wars. And Chopper is amazing. It does feel a bit low budget compared to Clone Wars though, no lush or extremely detailed environments to be found here. Those wookiees were painful to look at.

PS: Just got done playing some Super Star Wars for the first time in ages. Fuck that Jawa mode 7 speeder level. LoL

I got a code for it with my Vader PS4 and it was the first time I've ever played it. I'm still slightly amazed I finished it. So many pain in the ass levels in that game, but it was still fun in a way.

So I just finished the Darth Plagueis book (had it since release), and what a great read. Plagueis is an awesome character, Palpatine got some much needed depth, and honestly the prequels seem a bit more interesting now after understanding the inner workings of it all better. Rereading the Darth Bane series next.

Suuuuure it does.... http://www.latimes.com/business/hil...the-force-awakens-stinks-20151226-column.html

I think this bit is where it's clear that the movie, regardless of quality, would not have satisfied that guy:
It's commonly said that the original "Star Wars" changed Hollywood, and that's true. But it didn't change the movies the way "Bonnie & Clyde" (1967), "Chinatown" (1974) and "Taxi Driver" (1976) did, by applying creative craftsmanship to raw, adult subject matter; or like the '30s movies "It Happened One Night," "The Awful Truth," and "Bringing up Baby," which undermined the moralistic strictures of the Hays Office with the libertine sophistication of screwball comedy.

Instead, "Star Wars" transformed Hollywood economically, by establishing a blockbuster mentality--and especially a mentality based on blockbusters made for teens. It wasn't the first film to do so; "Jaws," released in 1975, was a pioneer. But "Star Wars" outdrew "Jaws," and the opportunities to exploit the product commercially were much greater.

I'm still trying to figure out why these SIZZLING TAKES are getting thrown at Star Wars. There are quite literally dozens of artfully shot films with delicately nuanced scripts made just for adults every year. If that's your thing, maybe don't go see the movie (of the 40 year old franchise) that features space monks fighting each other with laser swords.

curb

Banned
I'm still trying to figure out why these SIZZLING TAKES are getting thrown at Star Wars. There are quite literally dozens of artfully shot films with delicately nuanced scripts made just for adults every year. If that's your thing, maybe don't go see the movie (of the 40 year old franchise) that features space monks fighting each other with laser swords.

Get outta here with that level-headed common sense. That line of thinking is not going to get anyone page views.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Watched all the deleted OT scenes that are on the blu-ray recently. A few surprises there: so much Tatooine stuff cut from ANH! The scenes were pretty good as well (though I get why they were cut). I didn't know that Biggs had a lot more screentime in the movie, must've been painful for the actor to see must of his work cut out.

And in ESB there used to be a big wampa attack on the base... I can definitely see why that got cut, would've made the Hoth parts too busy.

I finished reading Battlefront: Twilight Company a few days ago and have Lost Stars on the way.

Battlefront was a good one. At times I did not like it, especially with how nonchalantly Freed killed off so many of the Twilight Company soldiers, but that's kind of the point of writing a way book I suppose. People just die. I liked how both significant and insignificant the plot seemed at times, as well as tie ins to the movies. It was an enjoyable book and definitely had me wishing for more. Anybody know if that was supposed to be the start of a series? or if there is going to be a sequel at all?

I keep hearing how Lost Stars is great. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

EDIT: Also, regarding all of the short stories that are constantly listed as part of the new canon: are these going to be collected in any type of anthology collection or anything? Or would I have to track them down individually?

sphagnum

Banned
Anybody know if that was supposed to be the start of a series? or if there is going to be a sequel at all?

Nobody knows. It certainly seems like the perfect set up for a series but I could see it getting tiresome since it has such a particular grinding tone.

Also, regarding all of the short stories that are constantly listed as part of the new canon: are these going to be collected in any type of anthology collection or anything? Or would I have to track them down individually?

I highly doubt they'll be collected. Most of the short stories from the EU days never were.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is Tarkin worth it? Would be my first Star Wars book. Read a couple of Reviews on theforce.net and it was the only one that sounded compelling to me.

And of course, since I was gone I will post it here:

The Force Awakens was great. Fucking great. It feelt not like a Star Wars movie, you felt that George Lucas was not longer involved and JJ made it really "his" movie in his style, but thats not a bad thing and I accepted it very soon.
I really loved the new guys, Finn, Rey and Poe have an amazing chemistry together and I cant wait to see more of them.
The only things that disappointed me that I didnt felt that Harrison Ford put much effort in his role and that Luke
just appeared for a minute and didnt said anything. I knew from the leaks that he had a small role, but I expected him to be around for a couple of minutes and actually say something. But there is another movie for this.
The villains - I was disappointed when I came out of the cinema but they have grown on me.
I have no problem with Kylo beeing like he is - He is a teenager, he feels to be under pressure to live up to his own set expectations, I expect them to do cool stuff with him.
Captain Phasma was a non-event, here I will wait for the second movie and Snoke - My god, when the
Snoke = Darth Plagius
theory is true, I will go bonkers.
And I hate how people claiming that this is a ANH remake. Bullshit. its not. Its far more different. It follows a similar route, but its just bullshit. But Haters gonna hate.

Ah, and before I forget, R2 > BB8.

Mission accomplished.

Fj0823

Watched it with my dad again last night. He has only seen each movie once. He saw the '77 ANH in theaters abd never again.

And he still said that the movie "copied" a lot from it and that a lot wasn't explained. He liked it, but he says it's nothing special.

His favorite is still The Phantom Menace. He's 51.

Aiii

So not worth it
Hey, everyone gets to the point in his or her life when they realize their parents aren't always right about everything.

Watched it with my dad again last night. He has only seen each movie once. He saw the '77 ANH in theaters abd never again.

And he still said that the movie "copied" a lot from it and that a lot wasn't explained. He liked it, but he says it's nothing special.

My dad says The Phantom Menace is his favourite as well.

Though he may just be saying that because he thinks it annoys me.

curb

Banned
My Dad is almost 60 and really likes Phantom Menace. Qui-Gon is his favorite Jedi though so I think that's why.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

My dad says The Phantom Menace is his favourite as well. Though he may just be saying that because he thinks it annoys me.

My Dad is almost 60 and really likes Phantom Menace. Qui-Gon is his favorite Jedi though so I think that's why.

Wow. Maybe Qui-Gon serving as a father figure to Anakin appeals to dads? Still, people that old and wise should know better :p

Fj0823

Wow. Maybe Qui-Gon serving as a father figure to Anakin appeals to dads? Still, people that old and wise should know better :p

Or maybe they're just mature and only care about having a fun time.

And not idolize the movies like some of the 35 year old models.

Interfectum

TPM could have been retroactively made a better movie had AotC and RotS hadn't been so bad. I still say it's the most "Star Wars" feeling movie of the prequels.

Toa TAK

Banned
So I just finished watching The Clone Wars series (including the movie), and was wondering what the consensus is on Rebels currently. I know it comes after the show, but is the quality still there? For what it's worth I enjoyed season 1 of CW, despite it being an uneven season.

curb

Banned
So I just finished watching The Clone Wars series (including the movie), and was wondering what the consensus is on Rebels currently. I know it comes after the show, but is the quality still there? For what it's worth I enjoyed season 1 of CW, despite it being an uneven season.

My line is that it's better than the start of Clone Wars but not as good as Clone Wars eventually gets.

Big One

Banned
Rebels is still in it's early stages, so it isn't quite as good as Clone Wars. They ditched the multi-episode arc structure of Clone Wars that you probably got used to, so prepare for that.

Regardless it's still excellent and DOES pick up where Clone Wars left off. Made by the same people too, and the new characters are great.

Sayers

It's worth your time I think. It is not as good as Clone Wars but there are still some great episodes. I really enjoyed Season 1; Season 2 has been pretty uneven so far with some pretty high highs but also some pretty low lows.

Toa TAK

Banned
My line is that it's better than the start of Clone Wars but not as good as Clone Wars eventually gets.

Rebels is still in it's early stages, so it isn't quite as good as Clone Wars. They ditched the multi-episode arc structure of Clone Wars that you probably got used to, so prepare for that.

Regardless it's still excellent and DOES pick up where Clone Wars left off. Made by the same people too, and the new characters are great.

It's worth your time I think. It is not as good as Clone Wars but there are still some great episodes. I really enjoyed Season 1; Season 2 has been pretty uneven so far with some pretty high highs but also some pretty low lows.

Alrighty then. I'll give it a go. I was super reluctant to watch The Clone Wars and that was amazing, here's to giving Rebels a shot.

curb

Banned
Alrighty then. I'll give it a go. I was super reluctant to watch The Clone Wars and that was amazing, here's to giving Rebels a shot.

There's definitely some emotional payoff for Clone Wars fans who watch Rebels. I won't say what but you'll know it when you get to it.

curb

Banned
Just got home after my third Force Awakens viewing. Damn, I really like that movie.

I'm so excited for that Obikin comic. I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

munchie64

Was looking for the Phantom Menace trailer so I just searched "Phantom Menace" on YouTube and there are like 4 or 5 different full length fan edits on there. I guess Disney or Lucasfilm don't give a shit?

Top Bottom