• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

They're very simplified. Nothing about trade routes and taxation. It's all about two factions arguing about whether the New Republic should have a strong executive or not. There's a lot of influence from the Articles of Confederation days of American history.

Brilliant, thanks mate. Will get on that as soon as possible.

Seriously thinking of going to Celebration on Sunday but not sure if I should get up really early to get wristbands for the Future Filmmakers panel. Hour long journey to get there.

Hmm.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Seriously thinking of going to Celebration on Sunday but not sure if I should get up really early to get wristbands for the Future Filmmakers panel. Hour long journey to get there.

Hmm.

You're only an hour away from Star Wars Celebration? Dude. That's like nothing. People would kill to be a 14-hour journey away. You should go.

Gonna purchase the tickets and... what are pre-show tickets? Those are the only ones they have.
Celebration is awesome, even more so now that it's gonna be every three years. You won't regret it, such a fun time.

If I see any more pictures with you and people from the films I riot
There will be pics galore.

I am unstoppable.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Concept art for the Star Wars stuff for DisneyLand.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ests-get-a-peek-at-new-star-wars-themed-land/
KsN2W3b.jpg

Looks beautiful.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Just read those epilogue spoilers on Life Debt

Though vague, the implications set by that particular scene has gotten me a little more excited for what's going to unfold in
Episode VIII/IX

Billfisto

Something I've been pondering since initially seeing the movie, but haven't seen mentioned anywhere despite some searching - has anyone else theorized that Finn was brainwashed by Phasma?

Basically, after Finn has his initial freakout on Jakku, Phasma commands Finn to report to her for reprogramming. The next time we see Finn he's breaking Poe out, so we believe that he panicked and rather than reporting to reprogramming, he went to Poe and decided to escape.

However, what if he did actually report for reprogramming, and his whole character is a result?

It would explain:

• Finn's bizarre turnaround from deploring violence/death to gleefully killing all his co-workers. The effect of one death shook him to his core, but then he's whooping and hollering and killing people who were in exactly the same situation as him.
  • Being thrust into a sudden friendship with an important member of the rebel alliance.
  • Finn's knowledge of how to blow up the base despite being just a janitor.
  • Phasma's bizarre immediate compliance when he demands she take down the shields. As far as Phasma's concerned (and her demeanor towards him shows), Finn's not a threat.
My theory? Phasma's either a Rebel playing a super-deep, weird long-con, or a third party working to her own ends. She wanted Finn embedded in the Rebellion and Starkiller Base exploded, and she got both.

Something I've been pondering since initially seeing the movie, but haven't seen mentioned anywhere despite some searching - has anyone else theorized that Finn was brainwashed by Phasma?

Basically, after Finn has his initial freakout on Jakku, Phasma commands Finn to report to her for reprogramming. The next time we see Finn he's breaking Poe out, so we believe that he panicked and rather than reporting to reprogramming, he went to Poe and decided to escape.

However, what if he did actually report for reprogramming, and his whole character is a result?

It would explain:

• Finn's bizarre turnaround from deploring violence/death to gleefully killing all his co-workers. The effect of one death shook him to his core, but then he's whooping and hollering and killing people who were in exactly the same situation as him.
  • Being thrust into a sudden friendship with an important member of the rebel alliance.
  • Phasma's bizarre immediate compliance when he demands she take down the shields. As far as Phasma's concerned (and her demeanor towards him shows), Finn's not a threat.
My theory? Phasma's either a Rebel playing a super-deep, weird long-con, or a third party working to her own ends. She wanted Finn embedded in the Rebellion and Starkiller Base exploded, and she got both.
Phasma's a minor character that JJ thought would make use of a cool costume that they didn't end up using for Kylo. She deactivated the shields because she knew the X-Wings attack alone wouldn't be enough to destroy the oscillator. She was unaware they had further explosives, plus she has that traditional bad guy arrogance.

As for Finn attacking the First Order, he'd just seen his fellow soldiers wipe out a group of unarmed, innocent civilians.

I think it's a pretty wild theory. It would be amusing though.

You're massively over-/misreading.

Finn's not anti-violence, he was shaken by being in his first battle and witnessing the death of innocents. He's just now seeing how brutal being a Stormtrooper is and how evil the First Order can be after being a part of it his entire life.

He became friends with a Resistance Fighter because "enemy of my enemy" and hey, there's a guy right here who can help me out of this place.

Finn didn't have any super special knowledge of how to destroy the base. He even says he didn't know how to take down the shields. He just had general knowledge of the layout of the base (where the thermal oscillator was) and that capturing Phasma could get it done.

Phasma complied because she didn't think it would matter.

Also, add to all of those "because, well, plot".

There wasn't some big grand plan for Phasma. Granted, due to the reception they likely will give her an expanded story in future films, but even then I highly doubt it will be as you predict. Probably a revenge sub-plot, possibly a redemption sub-plot. Secret Resistance plant is too much.

sphagnum

Banned
I'm about halfway through Life Debt so far and I'm liking it a lot. The present tense narrative just kind of melts into the background for me - I didn't really have a big problem with it in the first Aftermath either, so it's not really a concern. But the scale of things is just huge and I love whenever Star Wars gets into political/bureaucratic backstabbing stuff. Rax is really creepy but I must admit that it's kind of funny how so far his plan is boiling down to
continually destroy whatever is left of the Empire

The scale and intensity of the war post-Endor must be gigantic, much bigger than what was going on in the old post-Endor EU, for the Imperial Navy to have sustained such heavy losses. 11/13 of their SSDs and 75% of the Starfleet destroyed or captured? Hopefully we get some more stuff to flesh this out in the future because Shattered Empire isn't sufficient to cover it. I'd really like to see the cast from Battlefront: Twilight Company in future books, especially if any of them managed to survive to the end of the war, and they could give us a good soldiers' perspective. Lost Stars skimmed over that year too, focusing on Ciena's medical recovery. But it's nice to see all the pieces finally fitting together leading up to Jakku, especially with all the ways Life Debt ties into the comics and other books. The LSG's synergistic approach is paying off.

More book news for those who missed it:

- Zahn's Thrawn novel is set before his appearance in Rebels
- Alexander Freed's writing the Rogue One novelisation

Sayers

Just watched the Ahsoka panel. They REALLY need to find a way to get that Siege of Mandalore arc made into an animated movie of some kind.

Thoughts on this?

http://www.etonline.com/news/193391...gareth_edwards_tease_rogue_one_opening_crawl/

ET's Ashley Crossan, on the scene at the London event, got a chance to get the scoop straight from Lucasfilm President and Star Wars producer Kathleen Kennedy and Rogue One director Gareth Edwards.

"You know, we're in the midst of talking about it, but I don't think these films will have an opening crawl," Kennedy said of the possibility that Rogue One would include the familiar Star Wars trope. "I think that's what we kind of telegraphed at the beginning of the event today."

I've been saying for a while that they'd probably save the crawls for the numbered episodes.

I started reading the first Aftermath title this morning and 3 chapters in and I'm having a good time. I was expecting a shit show based off the reviews. The writing style has not thrown me off one bit, because it's probably how I would tell a story. It's like writing in bullet points.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Thoughts on this?

http://www.etonline.com/news/193391...gareth_edwards_tease_rogue_one_opening_crawl/

I've been saying for a while that they'd probably save the crawls for the numbered episodes.

If they won't do the iconic opening crawl, then they should do something else (smaller) giving you the "In a far, far away galaxy..." type intro, like you are being sucked into a new world. For example they could use a narrator at the beginning or so telling the story.

Top Bottom