• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

This is the best quality video I've seen of the Rogue One trailer at Celebration. Love the shot of Vader's reflection. Beware the ear drum breaking cheers at the end.

I don't think I've ever actually read anything with Thrawn in it, but can anyone summarize why he's so beloved?

The Empire felt like a threat again with him at the helm. He wasn't a bumbling idiot like much of the Imperial Navy, he was a clever strategist who learnt about his enemy's weaknesses by studying their history and art. Plus, the fact that a Chiss could ascend to Grand Admiral in the Empire, when the old EU stressed how anti-alien the Empire was, showed how good he was.

I'm glad they're not bring back the Ysalamiri though.

--------

There's a pretty good Star Wars sale on Comixology at the moment. Star Wars #21 and Vader #23 are out today.

Pachimari

Guys, I'll be on a Star Wars charade the next months. I just started up The Clone Wars / Rebels for the first time and started with S02E16 and I really loved it. Although I don't remember anything from Episode II and III, so I'm gonna rewatch Attack of the Clones tonight. I did do a rewatch of Episode IV, V, VI and I last year if any of you remember. I think I also did a LTTP thread.

Anyway, I wonder if Rebels will tie into Rogue One somehow. Wasn't a character jumping over to Rogue One from the animation, who is that?

Which of the comics are canon?

Clone Wars it is ;)
?

Guys, I'll be on a Star Wars charade the next months. I just started up The Clone Wars / Rebels for the first time and started with S02E16 and I really loved it. Although I don't remember anything from Episode II and III, so I'm gonna rewatch Attack of the Clones tonight. I did do a rewatch of Episode IV, V, VI and I last year if any of you remember. I think I also did a LTTP thread.

Anyway, I wonder if Rebels will tie into Rogue One somehow. Wasn't a character jumping over to Rogue One from the animation, who is that?

Which of the comics are canon?
All of those comics are canon.

Saw Gerrera's the character Forest Whitaker's playing in Rogue One. He was in the Onderon arc of The Clone Wars. Season 4 I think.

Space Monkey has a name!

rogue-one-creature.png

Pablo Hidalgo's revealed he's an Iakaru called Bistan in this week's SW Show..

Sayers

As fun and creative as a lot of the alien designs in Star Wars are, I wish they would pump the brakes on making new ones and flesh out the ones they have. I think the only reason we know anything about some of the non-alien cultures is because of TCW.

Pachimari

I love that monkey and K2 as well. Very promising.

I also just finished Episode II: Attack of the Clones, and it might not be a popular opinion but I really liked it. The one thing I didn't like much was the whole droids vs the amount of Jedi's at the coliseum. And the CGI is really poor. I'm still loving Natalie as Padme, though this time I noticed how negative and dramatic Anakin really is. I loved the whole political scheme this whole movie for going, and I liked seeing Padme and Ani having a good time too.

For some reason I always saw the clone troopers as bad guys, but they were put to good use in this movie. And now I can finally start watching The Clone Wars and Rebels for the first time.

Simo

It's hard to tell honestly from the photography and distance. Looks like the Falcon cockpit is on display as well as..a TIE Interceptor?
13707646_1763726703864912_3433254600495152972_n.jpg

Twilight says no

Nah. Twilight is shit and the relationship is awful/creepy as fuck, but it's definitely more believable than Anakin and Padmé. They're pretty much the same relationships, except Padmé actually realizes Anakin is creepy as fuck and then decides "fuck it, let's get married". Not to mention Natalie and Hayden having shit for chemistry and turning in bad performances making it all worse.

Bigmouth's got a name now: Pao.

Rogue-One-A-Star-Wars-Story-Pao.jpg

First up — “Bigmouth,” whose real name is Pao, a soldier who serves as a kind of platoon leader, coordinating the charge into battle. “There was this great design of this creature that’s mouth would open really wide, and he looked like he was really good at giving orders and shouting at people during a battle,” Edwards said. “I was like, ‘We’ve got to give him that moment in the film,’ and so [Pao] was born out of that.”

This quote about Bistan's interesting as well. I'm guessing he gets a really memorable death.

“It’s not necessarily a character that we get to know, but I think he has a very memorable, iconic look,” said Edwards. “[He’s] one of my favorites. I can’t give away what happens to him.”

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Not a huge fan of that design, but perhaps its better in motion

Pachimari

Is there anywhere I can see the timeline of the comics? I know Star Wars is set between III and IV thanks to you guys, but what about Princess Leia, Kanan, Darth Vader and those series?

Kuros

This is the best quality video I've seen of the Rogue One trailer at Celebration. Love the shot of Vader's reflection. Beware the ear drum breaking cheers at the end.

The Empire felt like a threat again with him at the helm. He wasn't a bumbling idiot like much of the Imperial Navy, he was a clever strategist who learnt about his enemy's weaknesses by studying their history and art. Plus, the fact that a Chiss could ascend to Grand Admiral in the Empire, when the old EU stressed how anti-alien the Empire was, showed how good he was.

I'm glad they're not bring back the Ysalamiri though.

--------

There's a pretty good Star Wars sale on Comixology at the moment. Star Wars #21 and Vader #23 are out today.

+ He was basically Sherlock Holmes in space to Pellaeon's Watson.

He also wasn't mustache twirling evil. Just a great military commander who happened to be on the side of the Empire.

When you consider the absolute shit that the EU started churning out he was a massive diamond in the rough.

MattyG

Banned
I'll be glad when we're out of the beginning phases of the new EU and the references to the OT slow down in the books. I'm reading Aftermath and it says that Surrat has a desk made of a Sullastan frozen in carbonite.

That... that isn't common practice. Unless word spread from Jabba to other gangsters that they did it to Han and they all thought it was a cool idea, that isn't a common thing because it's not what carbonite is used for. It screams "callback for callback sake", which I feel like happens a lot in Star Wars EU material. Not that I'm not loving all the new EU stuff, but little things like that really stand out to me.

Edit: Okay, so they addressed it about a page later lol. "Some say I learned that trick from the Empire, but I assure you - they learned it from me."

Fj0823

I'll be glad when we're out of the beginning phases of the new EU and the references to the OT slow down in the books. I'm reading Aftermath and it says that Surrat has a desk made of a Sullastan frozen in carbonite.

That... that isn't common practice. Unless word spread from Jabba to other gangsters that they did it to Han and they all thought it was a cool idea, that isn't a common thing because it's not what carbonite is used for. It screams "callback for callback sake", which I feel like happens a lot in Star Wars EU material. Not that I'm not loving all the new EU stuff, but little things like that really stand out to me.

Edit: Okay, so they addressed it about a page later lol. "Some say I learned that trick from the Empire, but I assure you - they learned it from me."

Carbonite freezing was used in The Clone Wars as a way to transport soldiers without getting their vitals detected.

It was done in a much more secure facility than Bespin though

MattyG

Banned
Carbonite freezing was used in The Clone Wars as a way to transport soldiers without getting their vitals detected.

It was done in a much more secure facility than Bespin though
Ohhhh, that's a cool way to set a precedent for it for ESB.

I say this every time, but I really need to finish watching The Clone Wars.

sphagnum

Banned
There's a timeline in the OP.

Speaking of which, I had no idea there were two more short stories in the Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away collection (True Love and A Recipe for Death). Gah, now I have to hunt those down.

That said, the timeline needs to be updated to include Thrawn, Blade Squadron: Zero Hour, Blade Squadron: Kuat, Black Squadron: Jakku, Turning Point, Voices of the Empire, Join the Resistance, and the five Adventures in Wild Space books (The Escape, The Snare, The Nest, The Steal, The Dark). Also I believe the Rae Sloane short story is called The Levers of Power, not Levels.

Nah. Twilight is shit and the relationship is awful/creepy as fuck, but it's definitely more believable than Anakin and Padmé. They're pretty much the same relationships, except Padmé actually realizes Anakin is creepy as fuck and then decides "fuck it, let's get married". Not to mention Natalie and Hayden having shit for chemistry and turning in bad performances making it all worse.

in fairness, I don't think that people willingly committing to awful, self destructive relationships is entirely restricted to science fiction.

Zereta

Is there a mirror of the leaked trailer? Was at work and couldn't watch it and its now gone :/

If anyone has the file or a mirror link, would appreciate a PM :)

Ohhhh, that's a cool way to set a precedent for it for ESB.

I say this every time, but I really need to finish watching The Clone Wars.

You do. I just started watching it a few weeks back and it's pretty damn great. Sucks that I have no way to watch Rebels once I'm done, outside of either dropping like $30 a season or piracy. :|

in fairness, I don't think that people willingly committing to awful, self destructive relationships is entirely restricted to science fiction.

Well, you're not wrong.

Seigyoku

Speaking of which, I had no idea there were two more short stories in the Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away collection (True Love and A Recipe for Death). Gah, now I have to hunt those down.

That said, the timeline needs to be updated to include Thrawn, Blade Squadron: Zero Hour, Blade Squadron: Kuat, Black Squadron: Jakku, Turning Point, Voices of the Empire, Join the Resistance, and the five Adventures in Wild Space books (The Escape, The Snare, The Nest, The Steal, The Dark). Also I believe the Rae Sloane short story is called The Levers of Power, not Levels.

The other short stories are only in the actual book, not sold separately.

And as for the timeline - Last Call at Zero Angle is on there twice, it's also missing the pre-Bloodline SS (Scorched, I think?), and FWIW, the Steal is going to be renamed The Heist when it gets published in the US. And I STILL need to order it and The Dark damn it, I keep forgetting.

Oh and then there are the Rebels comics in Rebels magazine. >.>

EDIT: Oh yeah, Anakin and Amidala's relationship works somewhat better in TCW (far more chemistry) and the novelizations (which sadly don't count anymore). Padme's character as a whole was hurt by TONS of her scenes being nuked in eps II and III, especially III, where her whole subplot was chopped out leaving her to just stand around being pregnant and sad. Booo.

I didn't see the ending to Vader #23 coming. It was one of the moments when you're surprised but it was kind of obvious that
Cylo would have been involved in saving Vader's life.

I've also made the changes to the timeline you guys suggested. Thrawn's a bit of a tricky one as we know its set before Season 3 of Rebels but it looks like it'll be spanning quite a significant time. I've just stuck it before Rebels for now.

--------

As with The Force Awakens last year, Lucasfilm are releasing an art book for Rogue One when it comes out. They showed the cover at their SDCC publishing panel.

Aftermath Empire's End has a familiar looking AT-AT on its back cover.

13697016_10154380797283713_2300408070854450403_n.jpg

I know I've brought this up before, but I really think Jabba knows who Vader is and this is Jabba messing with him:

SW_5-630x508.jpg

I mean, he knew Anakin. I think somehow he figured out that it was him. Maybe he smelled him with superior Hutt sense of smell or something.

Caode

Aftermath Empire's End has a familiar looking AT-AT on its back cover.

13697016_10154380797283713_2300408070854450403_n.jpg

Really loving the artwork for this final chapter in the Aftermath trilogy.. which I haven't started reading yet, gonna save it until Empire's End come's out. Heard mixed reports on Aftermath but hearing really good reports on Life Debt so far.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Life Debt was like the polar opposite of Aftermath to me. Having just finished Life Debt the story was engaging from start to finish. Aftermath was just the opposite, and I was pretty bored.

MattyG

Banned
Life Debt was like the polar opposite of Aftermath to me. Having just finished Life Debt the story was engaging from start to finish. Aftermath was just the opposite, and I was pretty bored.
I just picked up Aftermath again halfway through after a few months away and it's so hard to get back into. I just don't care about any of these characters and it feels none of this shit matters. I'm hoping by the end it picks up a bit.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Playing the lego force awakens game, its...ok, fun for like one level segments but then it gets quite samey, need a small break. New voice acting from the cast which is cool, in one sense, but its so out of kilter with the games dynamic that it feels like it shouldnt be here at all, still its nice to hear more Han solo dialogue from Ford. Missions are grindy and you have to redo them to collect everything which I dont like because I hate redoing shit, id rather grind once. Vehicle missions are surprisingly fun, the space combat ones in particular, its a small sandbox you can play in but it feels really fun and rewarding.

Wouldnt recommend the game but not sad I bought it because its star wars.

ghostmind

Playing the lego force awakens game, its...ok, fun for like one level segments but then it gets quite samey, need a small break. New voice acting from the cast which is cool, in one sense, but its so out of kilter with the games dynamic that it feels like it shouldnt be here at all, still its nice to hear more Han solo dialogue from Ford. Missions are grindy and you have to redo them to collect everything which I dont like because I hate redoing shit, id rather grind once. Vehicle missions are surprisingly fun, the space combat ones in particular, its a small sandbox you can play in but it feels really fun and rewarding.

Wouldnt recommend the game but not sad I bought it because its star wars.

I'm playing it with my son and we are having a great time with it, largely due to the multiplayer. The last LEGO game we got into was the Star Wars Compete Saga when he was just a little dude, so it's been nice to revisit the LEGO Star Wars universe.

Top Bottom