• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Last article from EW on Rogue One for the week. It's about Jyn.

“She is absolutely a very unlikely heroine,” the actress says. “She’s someone on the edges and fringes of society. Physically, she’s smaller than everyone else around her, but… when someone has something they believe in, that’s what powers them, that’s what motivates them, that’s what can give someone enormous strength.”

Edwards says he chose Jones because she wasn’t “so kick-ass and shields-up that the audience couldn’t empathize with her.”

Vic_Viper

Just bought the Star Wars Complete Saga Blu Ray on Amazon. It's the slipcase version with Darth Vader on the front. It was only 30$ so I figured why not. I was wondering though if this version for sure includes all the bonus features and documentaries. The info on Amazon is alil hard to judge since its describing what's included in the non slip case set.

Also is this the same as the original Blu Ray release from 2011, just with new packaging?

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Packaging/dp/B003ZSJ212/ref=tmm_blu_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Just bought the Star Wars Complete Saga Blu Ray on Amazon. It's the slipcase version with Darth Vader on the front. It was only 30$ so I figured why not. I was wondering though if this version for sure includes all the bonus features and documentaries. The info on Amazon is alil hard to judge since its describing what's included in the non slip case set.

Also is this the same as the original Blu Ray release from 2011, just with new packaging?

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Packaging/dp/B003ZSJ212/ref=tmm_blu_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Yeah, it's identical bar the packaging.

-

Auralnauts have done a Kylo reacts to Rogue One video. His reaction to Baze's missile launcher is hilarious.

Awesome thanks!

Are there any really good Star Wars podcasts worth checking out? Past or present?

Full of Sith's good. I like Collider Jedi Council as well.

--

Looks like Tony Gilroy is officially credited as screenwriter for Rogue One with Chris Weitz now. We knew he was doing some additional dialogue but it looked like it wouldn't be credited.

rogue-one-credits.png

shingi70

Banned
I'm about halfway though with bloodline. The new republic should far less organized than the old republic. The parallels to the clone wars are pretty obvious! The Centrist and populists are pretty much in the same goverment for appearances they're one badly timed event from reaction the republic and separatist split.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
i highly doubt the emperor would sit at that table when he's got a throne room
Obama has his Oval office and he has his tactical briefing room for military meetings.

The Throne Room on the second Deathstar doesnt look like the room where meetings where held.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Would be a cool retcon if they established one of the seats was Krennics, I think that would be a very clever subtle move.

iosefe

Obama has his Oval office and he has his tactical briefing room for military meetings.

The Throne Room on the second Deathstar doesnt look like the room where meetings where held.

i like to think his tactical briefing room is on the Eclipse

thats canon again, right?

Kuros

i like to think his tactical briefing room is on the Eclipse

thats canon again, right?

Eclipse is EU unless they have re-introduced it and i haven't heard. The biggest ship in the new canon is still an SSD.

Also to be totally accurate the eclipse in the old canon wasn't commissioned until ABY. So his briefing room during ANH would defo not have been there :p

sphagnum

Banned
Eclipse is EU unless they have re-introduced it and i haven't heard. The biggest ship in the new canon is still an SSD.

Also to be totally accurate the eclipse in the old canon wasn't commissioned until ABY. So his briefing room during ANH would defo not have been there :p

The Eclipse has been canonized but it's classified as a SSD. We don't know if it looks like the other SSDs or if it's some special class though. It was mentioned in Life Debt. Here's the relevant passage:

She starts with the Dreadnoughts—the Super Star Destroyers.

Thirteen were in service before the revivified Death Star was destroyed above Endor. One of those is the Ravager, the SSD from which Sloane rules the Empire (and which, strictly speaking, is now Gaelan’s command). One of those is the Executor, Vader’s command ship. The Executor was lost that day, plunging into the surface of the Death Star. Taking hundreds of thousands of the best Imperials with it.

Sloane shudders as she thinks of it.

That leaves eleven others.

Three are now in the hands of the New Republic. Two of those were from admirals willingly surrendering the ship and its people. One was taken forcibly by New Republic forces while it underwent repairs over Kuat.

Five were destroyed outright in battles across the galaxy with the New Republic—the ships were understaffed, underprotected, and on the run. (The Dreadnoughts are home to massive batteries of fleet-killing weapons, yes, but are also slow, unwieldy beasts—they hang there in the sky like bricks, and without adequate protection it is an inevitability that enemy forces could erode the ships until obliteration ensues.)

One was taken by pirates: the Annihilator. Tagge’s old ship. But who controls the Annihilator now? The reports don’t say.

Another, the Arbitrator, made a bad hyperspace calculation to escape pursuing NR ships. It evaporated when it was sucked into a gravity well.

That leaves Palpatine’s own command ship:

The Eclipse.

Records show that it, too, was destroyed by a fleet of New Republic vessels—Ackbar’s own frigate, Home One, firing the ship-killing shot.

Ah, but there’s the catch, and it’s why Sloane is here: The ships dumped data across the stars, transmitting pulses of information to this location. That provides a black-box recording of information so one could discern what exactly happened before a ship was destroyed, captured, or surrendered. All the other tracking data adds up to the known fates of each SSD. Their stories match the data for all of them—except one.

For the Eclipse, the data ends a full day-cycle before the ship was reportedly destroyed. It shows no siege by New Republic forces. It simply…drops off the star map. Gone. Vanished.

Sloane concedes that it’s possible the ship stopped reporting due to a malfunction in its data recorder. Though redundant systems were supposed to alert command if that had happened—again, bureaucracy and reiterative mechanisms should have saved the day here.

And yet they didn’t.

Is it possible that the Eclipse is still out there? Could the Ravager not be the last Super Star Destroyer in the naval arsenal?

Kuros

The Eclipse has been canonized but it's classified as a SSD. We don't know if it looks like the other SSDs or if it's some special class though. It was mentioned in Life Debt. Here's the relevant passage:

Ah brilliant. Had not read life debt yet :)

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a new sound-bar from sony with a wireless subwoofer
Sony HT-CT180
. the subwoofer is under the sofa now and I'm watching the Harmy Grindhouse Scan of RotJ and it's amazing how the whole sofa vibrates :D after that I'll watch harmys ESB.

just wanted to share my happiness. That's some awesome stuff ^__^

shingi70

Banned
Just got the big reveal in Bloodlines and it's better than I even imagined. I really hope Claudia Grey has some more Star Wars works lined up.

Not sure if.I should wait for the 3D Blu ray lr just get the TFA steel book that would match everything else.

One thing about Bloodline I meant to ask. Is there some point in the new continuity where it has already been made public that Leia's birth mother is Padme? Because in the scene where
Lady Carise finds the box and listens to it for the first time
and then again when
the secret gets revealed to the whole galaxy
, in both cases it seems like there's an extra sentence kind of inserted to make it seem like her maternal biological lineage had already come out (but not her paternal, obviously).

I'll dig the book out and be more specific if need be.

Deflector shields seem to be used for a lot of things... not just spaceship defense, but also personal shields, defense of buildings, etc. It's demonstrated all along that they block lasers/energy weapons but not solid mass.

It seems to me that the invention of these shields in a galaxy that is constantly at war would immediately shift things away from lasers and right back to conventional projectile weapons... Bullets, missiles etc. I guess it's possible that the galaxy NEVER had such weapons. Bit even then, it seems like they'd figure it out pretty quickly.

Toxi

Banned
Deflector shields seem to be used for a lot of things... not just spaceship defense, but also personal shields, defense of buildings, etc. It's demonstrated all along that they block lasers/energy weapons but not solid mass.

It seems to me that the invention of these shields in a galaxy that is constantly at war would immediately shift things away from lasers and right back to conventional projectile weapons... Bullets, missiles etc. I guess it's possible that the galaxy NEVER had such weapons. Bit even then, it seems like they'd figure it out pretty quickly.
Deflector shields block solid mass moving at high velocities. In the Onderon arc of Clone Wars, it's shown you have to throw grenades slow enough to go pass through a Droideka's shield.

Missiles already are in Star Wars btw. They're seen most prominently in Episode 3's opening space battle.

Seigyoku

One thing about Bloodline I meant to ask. Is there some point in the new continuity where it has already been made public that Leia's birth mother is Padme? Because in the scene where
Lady Carise finds the box and listens to it for the first time
and then again when
the secret gets revealed to the whole galaxy
, in both cases it seems like there's an extra sentence kind of inserted to make it seem like her maternal biological lineage had already come out (but not her paternal, obviously).

I'll dig the book out and be more specific if need be.

Since my not-read list at this point is the latest UK Rebels comic and some books about ships and R2, I'm gonna go with, no, it has not been addressed save what is implied in Bloodline. At some point post-Endor (and given Life Debt, likely post-Jakku), the Skywalker twins do become publicly known as siblings, and at some point learn who their mother is, which is also public knowledge. (I really really REALLY hope this gets a book/comic/SOMETHING soon!)

I would actually guess (but it's not 100% supported by Bloodline) that their father being Anakin is also known. It's not like Luke hid that fact, and very few people in the galaxy knew Anakin Skywalker == Darth Vader, and most are dead by the end of RotJ. (Or are you know, Luke and Leia.) It's possible a few others (like Tarkin) who knew him before and after guessed, but they also knew to KEEP THEIR MOUTHS SHUT.

shingi70

Banned
Finished bloodline and its in my top three books so far. My new canon ranking goes

Lost Stars
Bloodline
New Dawn
Dark Disciple
Servants of the empire
Heir to the Jedi
Tarkin
Aftermath
Weapon of a Jedi
Lords of the sith

Finished bloodline and its in my top three books so far. My new canon ranking goes

Lost Stars
Bloodline
New Dawn
Dark Disciple
Servants of the empire
Heir to the Jedi
Tarkin
Aftermath
Weapon of a Jedi
Lords of the sith

I need to do one of these. My top three or so is easy but it's harder to rank the less solid books.

curb

Banned
My ranking of new canon novels goes like this:

-The first chapter of Lost Stars
-The cover New Dawn
-The first half of Aftermath

I'm gonna actually read that Ahsoka book though!

(If you ask about the new canon comics, then I've got an actual list)

My ranking of new canon novels goes like this:

-The first chapter of Lost Stars
-The cover New Dawn
-The first half of Aftermath

I'm gonna actually read that Ahsoka book though!

(If you ask about the new canon comics, then I've got an actual list)

Wouldn't mind seeing your list. I'd probably say:

1) Darth Vader
2) Lando
3) Han (feels a bit early to have it this high but I loved the first two issues)
4) Star Wars
5) Obi-Wan & Anakin
6) Kanan
7) Poe Dameron
8) Shattered Empire
9) Chewbacca
10) Princess Leia

Leia is the only one I can't say I really enjoyed though I did like the Dodsons' art. Maybe I'll give it a re-read to see if my opinion of it improves.

Top Bottom