• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

curb

Banned
Wouldn't mind seeing your list.

To start with, I'm not a comic art connoisseur. There are things I like but they don't usually impede my enjoyment of a book. Here's my list:

Darth Vader
Darth Maul (I'm counting it because it's canon)
Kanan
Star Wars
Princess Leia
Poe Dameron (I didn't like the first arc but it's getting better)
Lando
Shattered Empire
Chewbacca
Han Solo
C-3PO
Obi-Wan & Anakin (this one bums me out. Most excited for, most disappointed by)

To start with, I'm not a comic art connoisseur. There are things I like but they don't usually impede my enjoyment of a book. Here's my list:

Yeah, I'm mainly judging on my enjoyment of the stories as well. I don't mind Salvador Larroca but if I was judging purely on art, Vader wouldn't be top of my list. I prefer Noto, Brooks, Immonen or Checchetto from the artists working on Star Wars.

I still haven't got round to reading Sons of Dathomir yet. Looks like the trade's out of print so I'll probably go digital. I didn't think of ranking the 3PO one-shot. I'd probably put it near the top, I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting.

curb

Banned
Yeah, I'm mainly judging on my enjoyment of the stories as well. I don't mind Salvador Larroca but if I was judging purely on art, Vader wouldn't be top of my list. I prefer Noto, Brooks, Immonen or Checchetto from the artists working on Star Wars.

I still haven't got round to reading Sons of Dathomir yet. Looks like the trade's out of print so I'll probably go digital.

I really enjoyed Sons of Dathomir but I'm a huge Clone Wars fan so that automatically bumps that one up on my list. It provides some good resolution to a few things that we never got to see in the show.

sphagnum

Banned
One thing about Bloodline I meant to ask. Is there some point in the new continuity where it has already been made public that Leia's birth mother is Padme? Because in the scene where
Lady Carise finds the box and listens to it for the first time
and then again when
the secret gets revealed to the whole galaxy
, in both cases it seems like there's an extra sentence kind of inserted to make it seem like her maternal biological lineage had already come out (but not her paternal, obviously).

I'll dig the book out and be more specific if need be.

It hasn't popped up anywhere, no. We don't even know when Leia herself finds out, although the writer of Shattered Empire stated that in his story he came up with in his head Mon Mothma told Leia after Endor (and so she would know before she goes to Naboo to negotiate with the new queen about joining the New Republic), but that didn't make it into the actual comic it's not canon.

Also Poe Dameron #5 is out today. I thought it was a really fun issue, felt stuffed to the gills with content and it was well paced. Wasn't expecting Papa Toren to show up again.

I'm getting near the end of Clone Wars so I was looking into Son of Dathomir aaaaaand it's stupidly expensive. Any chance that ever gets a reprint is it fucked from the whole Dark Horse/Marvel thing?

curb

Banned
I'm getting near the end of Clone Wars so I was looking into Son of Dathomir aaaaaand it's stupidly expensive. Any chance that ever gets a reprint is it fucked from the whole Dark Horse/Marvel thing?

Is it cheaper to buy digitally or are you set on a physical copy?

Aftermath: Empire's End has been pushed back. It's moving to February 21st, 2017 from January, 31st.

Which of the new SW comics do you guys think are worth reading? Are they all pretty good? Thinking about reading some.

Me and curb posted our lists at the top of the page. I'd take a look at the ones at the top that sound interesting to you.

Meowster

I hope there are more novels coming out from Leia's perspective. I think she's the most interesting character to write about from the Original Trilogy. There are still many gaps to fill in in her story. Bloodline was so good.

Surfinn

Aftermath: Empire's End has been pushed back. It's moving to February 21st, 2017 from January, 31st.

Me and curb posted our lists at the top of the page. I'd take a look at a the ones at the top that sound interesting to you.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I hope there are more novels coming out from Leia's perspective. I think she's the most interesting character to write about from the Original Trilogy. There are still many gaps to fill in in her story. Bloodline was so good.

Is there any significant romance in Bloodline? I couldn't take it in Lost Stars and don't want to invest my time again. I would love to learn more about Leia though and have heard good things.

Is there any significant romance in Bloodline? I couldn't take it in Lost Stars and don't want to invest my time again. I would love to learn more about Leia though and have heard good things.

Only between Han and Leia and Han doesn't play a big role in the book. It's primarily based on Leia's role in the New Republic, the polticial situation five years before The Force Awakens and the origin of the First Order.

Empire have a feature on Rogue One this month. The issue's out on August 25th and another cover's being unveiled later today.

Empire-Rogue-One-cover.jpg

Erevador

Haven't kept with up with the comics, but the fact that George Lucas apparently loves the Han Solo comics definitely makes me want to read them.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Haven't kept with up with the comics, but the fact that George Lucas apparently loves the Han Solo comics definitely makes me want to read them.

The first two issues are indeed quite good. It's torturous how much the last three have been delayed.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Rewatched The Force Awakens yesterday, and I wanted to listen to the audio commentary after. Scrolled through the audio tracks, and suddenly remembered... there isn't one. I haven't watched the bonus material on the second disc yet, but the set is already a big disappointment because of this. Anyone know if there's a story behind this, maybe Abrams didn't want to do one? Or they're saving this when they release the big combo set for the new trilogy.

Anyway, first time I've seen TFA since theatres, and it's still magical. The early Rey scenes are my favorite moments in the movie. Combined with the ost it's top-tier SW material.

Rewatched The Force Awakens yesterday, and I wanted to listen to the audio commentary after. Scrolled through the audio tracks, and suddenly remembered... there isn't one. I haven't watched the bonus material on the second disc yet, but the set is already a big disappointment because of this. Anyone know if there's a story behind this, maybe Abrams didn't want to do one? Or they're saving this when they release the big combo set for the new trilogy.

Anyway, first time I've seen TFA since theatres, and it's still magical. The early Rey scenes are my favorite moments in the movie. Combined with the ost it's top-tier SW material.

I have good news for you and I have bad news for you.

The good news: there is in fact JJ Abrams commentary track!
The bad news: you'll have to buy the 3D BluRay (which also comes with a 2D BluRay, which should hopefully also have the track).

But yeah, TFA is actually one of those movies that I've enjoyed even more every time I've watched. The first time I saw, even though I quite enjoyed it, I was hyper-attuned to its flaws. I think the movie just had so much riding on it, so much baggage, and so high of expectations I literally couldn't help but constantly pick apart every frame as a watched it the first time, and judge every single thing along the way. Then the second time I was able to just sit back and enjoy it. And then third time, the fourth time, etc.. and each time I came to appreciate every little the it did right even more, and discover more of those things each time. It went from my 4th favorite Star Wars all the way up to a possible tie for first.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I have good news for you and I have bad news for you.

The good news: there is in fact JJ Abrams commentary track!
The bad news: you'll have to buy the 3D BluRay (which also comes with a 2D BluRay, which should hopefully also have the track).

But yeah, TFA is actually one of those movies that I've enjoyed even more every time I've watched. The first time I saw, even though I quite enjoyed it, I was hyper-attuned to its flaws. I think the movie just had so much riding on it, so much baggage, and so high of expectations I literally couldn't help but constantly pick apart every frame as a watched it the first time, and judge every single thing along the way. Then the second time I was able to just sit back and enjoy it. And then third time, the fourth time, etc.. and each time I came to appreciate every little the it did right even more, and discover more of those things each time. It went from my 4th favorite Star Wars all the way up to a possible tie for first.

Just looked it up, guess I'll have to get that set and maybe sell the old one, ugh. I see the second season set of Rebels is also coming out soon, will have to remember getting that. S2 looked pretty good in some of the trailers I've seen.

But yeah, so happy with how TFA turned out. Still remember the first time seeing it, the only time I remember the entire audience clapping once the credits rolled. It's also just below Empire for me, so good.

Vic_Viper

Marvel has been killing it with their Star Wars comics. Just started Vader Down but have really enjoyed everything I've read up to that point. The Obiwan journal issue has been among my favorite single issues, hope they do more of those. The art has been amazing also.

Just ordered Lost Stars and have been looking at a few others since I've been rewatching the movies. Just watched revenge of the Sith last night and have been debating on checking out Clone Wars and or Rebels. I watched the Rebels movie and wasn't a big fan, just didn't seem very interesting. Does it pick up? It's getting amazing reviews but I'm just not sure it's for me. The Kanaan comic is awesome though.

Wonder if Marvel will do a Ashoka Comic now that she's picking up some more recent fandom.

kevin1025

Banned
Just looked it up, guess I'll have to get that set and maybe sell the old one, ugh. I see the second season set of Rebels is also coming out soon, will have to remember getting that. S2 looked pretty good in some of the trailers I've seen.

But yeah, so happy with how TFA turned out. Still remember the first time seeing it, the only time I remember the entire audience clapping once the credits rolled. It's also just below Empire for me, so good.

Season two starts very strong, is a little middling in the middle, and then fires on all cylinders at the end. I hope you like it when you watch it!

Sayers

I see the second season set of Rebels is also coming out soon, will have to remember getting that. S2 looked pretty good in some of the trailers I've seen.

It's got some really high highs but some low lows. I thought the season finale was up there with the best of the Clone Wars though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
When is the S02 Blu-Ray Coming?

August 30th, so very soon! Looking forward to it. S1 couldn't really compare to CW's final season, but there's lots of potential, especially with
Ahsoka's return
. Thanks for the impressions, good to see it's starting to get to CW level.

Vic_Viper

It's got some really high highs but some low lows. I thought the season finale was up there with the best of the Clone Wars though.

Do people consider clone wars to be better than Rebels? Only seen the movie for each show and thought clone wars had the better premise.

kevin1025

Banned
Do people consider clone wars to be better than Rebels? Only seen the movie for each show and thought clone wars had the better premise.

For me personally, I think I like Rebels a little more, since the characters are pretty interesting and well realized. But Clone Wars has some incredible action setpieces, especially during the fourth and fifth seasons, and also did some great stuff with its characters during those two seasons. But there are some episodes of Rebels that have that classic Star Wars feeling, and it always nails character beats.

curb

Banned

I do. Keep in mind though that at the point Rebels is at now, Clone Wars hadn't really hit a lot of its greatest moments yet. I think Rebels has been more consistent overall but also they're consistently aimed at a younger audience it seems. They're very different shows though with pros and cons for each show.

Looking at the trailer for Rebels season 3, it seems like it's going to have the same big jump Clone Wars did around the same period in its run. The trailer was nuts, and I don't even know what's going on since I've never watched an episode lol

Also, the real question is: when the hell will Rebels be streaming on Netflix? :( Disney XD is a no-go and I can't justify those BluRay prices right now... I'm just about done with my first run through Clone Wars and I want to start Rebels right away, but I doubt I will be able to.

kevin1025

Banned
Looking at the trailer for Rebels season 3, it seems like it's going to have the same big jump Clone Wars did around the same period in its run. The trailer was nuts, and I don't even know what's going on since I've never watched an episode lol

Also, the real question is: when the hell will Rebels be streaming on Netflix? :( Disney XD is a no-go and I can't justify those BluRay prices right now... I'm just about done with my first run through Clone Wars and I want to start Rebels right away, but I doubt I will be able to.

It's definitely in a few regions of Netflix. I could be wrong but I think you can watch it on DisneyXD's website? I'm in Canada so I'm not sure on that one.

Slixshot

Banned

Plenty of ways to watch it if you look hard enough. Support them another time.

It's definitely in a few regions of Netflix. I could be wrong but I think you can watch it on DisneyXD's website? I'm in Canada so I'm not sure on that one.

Definitely not on Netflix in the US, and I would imagine you'd still actually need to have Disney XD through your TV provider to actually watch it on your website... but as I type this I just logged and started the first episode so I guess not? o_O

Plenty of ways to watch it if you look hard enough. Support them another time.

I'm aware, but I generally don't like going through those paths. Especially since most of them are kind of shit. :p

Top Bottom