• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It says in the intro that it's an original story written and produced by a team of fans. Lucasfilm wouldn't just give them the Rogue One story.

It looks like they're just going by the trailers. We know that Jyn and Cassian visit Jedha and probably recruit Baze and Chirrut there.
Missed that, good to know

Rogue-One-A-Star-Wars-Story-6.jpg

Rogue-One-A-Star-Wars-Story-5.jpg

Oh good, they got Vader's shoulder armour wrong.

Why go to all the trouble of getting the eyes right and the gloves right and then have him wear the wrong coloured armour with his tunic underneath it rather than over it?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Lando!

Such a good comic. Probably my favorite of the ones I've read so far. Perfectly paced, and the cliffhangers made me finish it in one go. Question though,
was there any significance to the helmet in the ship's treasure room, was that used somewhere else before? I kinda recognized its design. That its possession effects were instantaneous were very... convenient for the plot I guess. That's my only disappointment of the book, that it relies on the tired old possession plot point again.

Lando!

Such a good comic. Probably my favorite of the ones I've read so far. Perfectly paced, and the cliffhangers made me finish it in one go. Question though,
was there any significance to the helmet in the ship's treasure room, was that used somewhere else before? I kinda recognized its design. That its possession effects were instantaneous were very... convenient for the plot I guess. That's my only disappointment of the book, that it relies on the tired old possession plot point again.

It's a bit like Darth Bane's helmet in The Clone Wars but other than that it's never been in anything else.

The one in the middle on the top.

Not sure if you guys saw it but the synopsis for the pre-Rogue One novel, Catalyst was released and it takes place during The Clone Wars.

Makes me excited.

The synopsis for those who haven't seen it:

Sounds like a must-read. Especially with Luceno writing it.

Luceno is a great author. I always love his Star Wars books.

Some new Rogue One pics:

image-11.jpeg

image-12.jpeg

image-13.jpeg

That movie is looking great. I'm really liking the look of everything.

The separatists were still the ones building, or at least intending on building, the Death Star during the war though. The whole Crystal Crisis on Utapau arc from the unfinished TCW episodes is about Grievous trying to get that huge kyber crystal off Utapau because it's going to be used for the "Ultimate Weapon". There's no indication ever that the Republic is working on some kind of secret weapon. Or at least that's always been my assumption, unless the DS frame seen at the end of RotS wasn't a separatist project that the Republic "took over" but a secret black project that the Republic had been building the whole time.

Yeah that would be interesting to say the least.

Bleh, I hate how star wars threads go to shit when someone talks about how they like the prequels.

That's usually what I expect though...

Some comments from Adam Driver on VIII and Rian Johnson.

Collider: What was it like working with Rian Johnson after knowing the character (Kylo Ren) and now working a new director? What was that experience like?

ADAM DRIVER: Maybe this is just me thinking of myself, but I’m surprised [because] in their shoes I’d be way more stressed out than [J.J. and Rian] seem to be. Rian is coming into something that we kind of set up and he just took it to the next level in a really great way. He wrote it, too, and Rian’s writing is so clear. I learned a lot of things about my character through his writing. Some things we talked about before and some things we didn’t. He was working on [the script] while we were still working on the first one. To understand what J.J. was doing and take ownership from there is kind of a remarkable thing. And he’s the most polite, unassuming guy and he was appropriately territorial about some things but would still be the first to admit when something’s not working. A lot of times you need to rise to understand what the script is, and perhaps I’m beginning to be unclear, but he’s a great person to work with.

Collider: That’s all I ever ask, how was the script?

DRIVER: It’s great. It’s similar to how The Empire Strikes Back has a different tone. For that people always go “oooh, it’s dark” but I don’t know that it necessarily is. It’s just different in tone in a way that I think is great and necessary but also very clear. He trusts [that] his audience is ready for nuance and ambiguity. He’s not dumbing anything down for someone and that’s really fun to play.

Michael Giacchino's replacing Alexandre Desplat as Rogue One's composer. Bit disappointed but Giacchino's a good replacement.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rogue-one-replaces-929387

Speaking of Rogue One, two new international posters have been released.

Star-Wars-Rogue-One-South-Korea-Poster.jpg

Rogue-One-A-Star-Wars-Story-Japan-Poster.jpg

@ Giacchino: That's surprising. That Desplat had to drop out I mean, not that Giacchino was picked as his replacement. He's be The Chosen Heir to Williams for like, decades lol.

And those posters are just awful.

Toa TAK

Banned
So is anyone going to tell me why I have to wait until October for my last issue of Darth Vader?

I can see the tracklist now:

When You Wish Upon A Star Destroyer

X-Wing Gonna Give It To Ya

Jeddha Mind Tricks

Krennical Error

Er So Serious

Sith Hits The Fan

Oh God I almost forgot about the track names.

I'm half scared. A quarter intrigued, and a quarter resentful.

I wonder if Giacchino will rein his track name puns in...Nah.

I say Aphra will live but only because the issue's press release is probably tricking me.

It has all been building to this! The epic conclusion to the blockbuster ongoing series! Kieron Gillen and Salvador Larroca’s critically acclaimed series comes to a close on October 12th in the blockbuster DARTH VADER #25! It has all built to this! Vader’s trials against Cylo’s creations! His machinations against the Emperor! His covert missions with Doctor Aphra and her murderous droids. It all comes to a head in this cataclysmic final chapter. Plus, this oversized issue also contains a thrilling new tale from Kieron Gillen and artist Max Fiumara. Who lives? Who dies? The answers may surprise you!

Then again Gillen says he's doing another Marvel project soon. An Aphra series perhaps?

As a Trade against a Vader book? No, thanks.

Vader had to end at some point. I don't think it's been consistently great - I wasn't being a big fan of Vader Down - but it feels like it's told a complete story and it hasn't dragged on too long.

Gillen's always been somewhat restricted with what he can do with Vader. You don't really have that problem with a book based on a side character.

One of Marvel's assistant editors appeared on the Star Wars After Show this week and said they were surprised how well Aphra has been received. I think she might be able to sustain her own book.

Or die screaming in the final Vader issue. Who knows?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Vader had to end at some point. I don't think it's been consistently great - I wasn't being a big fan of Vader Down - but it feels like it's told a complete story and it hasn't dragged on too long.

Gillen's always been somewhat restricted with what he can do with Vader. You don't really have that problem with a book based on a side character.

One of Marvel's assistant editors appeared on the Star Wars After Show this week and said they were surprised how well Aphra has been received. I think she might be able to sustain her own book.

Or die screaming in the final Vader issue. Who knows?

I am not at the final arc but just two arcs away, but I can still not see the transformation from Vader as a general among other to Empire Strikes Back Vader who doesnt give a shit about Grand Moffs anymore and who was virtually second in command. He might have proofed that he should not be replaced by those breeded force user, beside that I would be really unsatisfied.
Also I think there is an insane potential in a Season Two book that hooks in after Empire Strikes Back. Could also be used to show us more how Luke became a real jedi.

Beside that, Darth Vader is a to big brand. No way they just give that away.

I am not at the final arc but just two arcs away, but I can still not see the transformation from Vader as a general among other to Empire Strikes Back Vader who doesnt give a shit about Grand Moffs anymore and who was virtually second in command. He might have proofed that he should not be replaced by those breeded force user, beside that I would be really unsatisfied.
Also I think there is an insane potential in a Season Two book that hooks in after Empire Strikes Back. Could also be used to show us more how Luke became a real jedi.

Beside that, Darth Vader is a to big brand. No way they just give that away.

It's inevitable Vader will get another series relatively soon. He's one of the biggest characters. I think it'll probably be set after Empire as well and I'd like to see that.

I won't go into specifics as you're a bit behind, but by the end of the series I think he'll be pretty unopposed in the Imperial hierarchy. His relationship with Tarkin was always a bit unique and there was a lot of respect between them. It' s not the same with Tagge. I don't think Vader would mind getting him out of the way.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Oh God I almost forgot about the track names.

I'm half scared. A quarter intrigued, and a quarter resentful.

I didn't realize this was a thing with him. I just looked up the Star Trek Beyond tracklist:

Logo And Prosper
Thank Your Lucky Star Date
Night On The Yorktown
The Dance Of The Nebula
A Swarm Reception
Hitting The Saucer A Little Hard
Jaylah Damage
In Artifacts As In Life
Franklin, My Dear
A Lesson In Vulcan Mineralogy
MotorCycles Of Relief
Mocking Jaylah
Crash Decisions
Krall-y Krall-y Oxen Free
Shutdown Happens
Cater-Krall In Zero G
Par-tay For The Course
Star Trek Main Theme

Holy cow is that brutal. "Krall-y Krall-y Oxen Free" might be the worst.

RIP Rogue One soundtrack titles

shingi70

Banned
I wonder if they're thinking about having multiple animated shows on concurrently or if this is long-term for after Rebels.

My guess is both and ABC wants to have something similar to the Marvel animated slate. Spider-man, Avengers, and Guardians all exist in the same universe but don't cross over all much.

My guess is next celebration we get a look at the new series which might premier next year as well.

Didn't a TV writer just get hired by Lucasfilm for a unknown project.

curb

Banned
My guess is both and ABC wants to have something similar to the Marvel animated slate. Spider-man, Avengers, and Guardians all exist in the same universe but don't cross over all much.

My guess is next celebration we get a look at the new series which might premier next year as well.

Didn't a TV writer just get hired by Lucasfilm for a unknown project.

Yes? That sounds familiar. I wouldn't surprised if that's connected.

I'll take an animated series set after Return of the Jedi or before Attack of the Clones, please.

Sayers

Wonder if that new show is a Filoni-joint or if they are doing one separately from him and his team. I really want to see what he would do if he wasn't constrained by Disney XD.

curb

Banned
i['m concerned for Rebels now. hope we get a good ending at least

Freddie Prinze Jr. (I think it was him) said that Rebels has about 7 seasons in the plans. The yearly renewal announcements are more of a formality. I wish I could find the source for that but I clearly remember reading that.

iosefe

Freddie Prinze Jr. (I think it was him) said that Rebels has about 7 seasons in the plans. The yearly renewal announcements are more of a formality. I wish I could find the source for that but I clearly remember reading that.

i hope so, it's getting really good.

by season 5 it will be amazing

Top Bottom