• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah, second arc's been a lot better.

There was a complete lack of ridiculous kaiju fights, so yes, it was better =P

I was really underwhelmed by the space battle at the end, though. They barely showed it. It seems like the artist doesn't feel super comfortable with drawing ships that are doing things.

I was really underwhelmed by the space battle at the end, though. They barely showed it. It seems like the artist doesn't feel super comfortable with drawing ships that are doing things.

Yeah, I actually thought the issue would end there and it would go into a space battle for the next issue. It did end a bit abruptly.

Noto is such a Star Wars fanboy he loves working on it but he is not the best guy for the universe. He is a great female character artist. Put him on a Rey book and he would wow us.

Also just read this:

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/09/marvels-star-wars-26-to-be-pre-phantom.html?m=1

I wish this is what the main line Star Wars book would be like. Tales in the universe to fill some holes. Not trying to be a big long run in one time period.

Seigyoku

Re: Rebels, and new animated show and what not...

Remember animation has an INSANE lead time. Work on Rebels started even while they were working on CW. The lead times are why we have the unfinished bits of TCW episodes and story reels. It's been pretty clear for a while that the cast has been recording what is in theory season 4, and I suspect the staff is writing and working a "season 5" all dependent on episode orders.

So even if they do get another 1, 2 or 3 seasons of Rebels on the air, they'd be working on any successor show right now as well, if nothing else working on general story, getting the designs for the cast locked etc.

This sounds great. Full article for those who haven't seen it.

And in a new arc kicking off with Star Wars #26, it will add maybe its biggest contribution to Star Wars so far: a Yoda story, which Luke will read — without knowing who Yoda is or that it’s actually about him — in Obi-Wan’s recovered journals. If that wasn’t reason enough to be excited, the issue will also welcome the talents of artist Salvador Larroca, fresh off the instant-classic Darth Vader series. StarWars.com snagged a first look at Larroca’s in-progress pages and Stuart Immonen’s cover, and spoke with Aaron about what readers can expect from the arc, finding a challenge worthy of Yoda, and other tales that old Ben Kenobi might have jotted down.

star-wars-26-cover-674x1024.jpg

I like Larroca but I wish Immonen came back for the arc.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Feels like, compared to ep 7, there has been significantly less leaks, not that I look at them but I remember having to avoid certain sites for ep 7 leaks and havent had to do that at all really this cycle, can anyone into spoilers say if huge stuff has leaked this time around?

Feels like, compared to ep 7, there has been significantly less leaks, not that I look at them but I remember having to avoid certain sites for ep 7 leaks and havent had to do that at all really this cycle, can anyone into spoilers say if huge stuff has leaked this time around?
Weren't the overwhelming majority of TFA leaks total bullshit in the end?

curb

Banned

We've had a new Star Wars movie now so I wonder if there isn't the same pent-up, frothing demand as there was before TFA.

Re: Rebels, the link says there's 'ongoing discussions' about the next animated show, which sounds like very early stages. I remember reading somewhere they said Rebels would be like three 'acts' and the first season was the first one and the next two acts would be a couple or more seasons each.

I don't think there's any reason to panic about Rebels, with the long lead times etc. they're probably starting to head towards the natural conclusion to the story and I guess they're probably thinking more about what they want to do post Episode IX and how those projects will tie in together/not clash etc.

I always just assumed Episodes VII-IX, the first three anthology films and Rebels were meant to be like Phase One of Disney Star Wars and that Rebels was planned to end before the next set of films started.

Weren't the overwhelming majority of TFA leaks total bullshit in the end?
A lot of them were bullshit but Making Star Wars had most of the plot seven months before it came out.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/05/a-compiled-synopsis-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

There's bits and pieces. A big fight for example, but it's early days yet. Rogue One's been relatively leak free so it bodes well for VIII. Though obviously there'll be more of a desire to hunt down story details for VIII.

A lot of them were bullshit but Making Star Wars had most of the plot seven months before it came out.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/05/a-compiled-synopsis-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

But we already had the plot to TFA 38 years before then.

derp

Interesting though. I avoided spoilers like the plague (I never opened a single Star Wars topic on GAF until after opening night) but I'm surprised there was that thorough of a plot leak, even if a lot of the finer details changed by release.

Ezalc

Hey guys, have there been any recent books that are worth reading? Last one I read was Dark Disciple which was pretty great. I know some others have since come out like Tarkin, one for Obi-Wan, and I think one where Vader is stranded somewhere. Have there been any others worth reading that are in the new canon?

Sayers

Hey guys, have there been any recent books that are worth reading? Last one I read was Dark Disciple which was pretty great. I know some others have since come out like Tarkin, one for Obi-Wan, and I think one where Vader is stranded somewhere. Have there been any others worth reading that are in the new canon?
Ahsoka comes out next month, hopefully that will be good.

Bloodline and Aftermath: Life Debt are the two big releases since Dark Disciple came out. I'd recommend both.

New Marvel ongoing by Kieron Gillen and Kev Walker debuting in December. Details are "classified".

Marvel Comics will launch a new Star Wars ongoing title in December - to be solicited as Star Wars: Classified. The series join the main Star Wars title and Star Wars: Poe Dameron as the line's third ongoing, effectively replacing Darth Vader, which is scheduled to conclude later this year with its 25th issue.

And writing Star Wars: Classified is Darth Vader's Kieron Gillen, joined by Uncanny Inhumans artist Kev Walker.

http://www.newsarama.com/31099-another-star-wars-ongoing-by-gillen-walker.html

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I finished Vader Down now in my SW/Vader comic reading and I feel like both series peaked in their first volume. Vader Down was okay, but felt a bit chaotic and all over the place. It was action-packed, but lacked substance and some memorable character moments. And
Calamari Grievous was such a lame idea for a villain
So far Vader vol. 1 and Lando are the only legit great volumes imo, with SW vol1 close to that.

New Marvel ongoing by Kieron Gillen and Kev Walker debuting in December. Details are "classified".

http://www.newsarama.com/31099-another-star-wars-ongoing-by-gillen-walker.html

Hmm. I wonder if it's something Rogue One related that can't have the details revealed until after the movie is out? Like maybe not everyone dies, and this is an ongoing about what the survivor(s) did during ANH and onward?

Also Re:Karbin the Grevious Calamari, when they first introduced him, Cylo mentioned that he was from "the separatist war". I figured that would mean he was a TCW character from the Mon Calamari arc, but I just watched it, and nope.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
. . .

Time to reboot the canon already is it?

Hah, that's kinda how I felt. First volumes of Vader/SW I was like 'this feels like real SW!', but then it quickly devolves into 'this feels like lame fanfic!'. Have the third volumes for both, so I'll keep reading, but I hope it improves.

I finished Vader Down now in my SW/Vader comic reading and I feel like both series peaked in their first volume. Vader Down was okay, but felt a bit chaotic and all over the place. It was action-packed, but lacked substance and some memorable character moments. And
Calamari Grievous was such a lame idea for a villain
So far Vader vol. 1 and Lando are the only legit great volumes imo, with SW vol1 close to that.
I wasn't a big fan of Vader Down either, though I think both series' pick up again after it concludes.

Hmm. I wonder if it's something Rogue One related that can't have the details revealed until after the movie is out? Like maybe not everyone dies, and this is an ongoing about what the survivor(s) did during ANH and onward?

Also Re:Karbin the Grevious Calamari, when they first introduced him, Cylo mentioned that he was from "the separatist war". I figured that would mean he was a TCW character from the Mon Calamari arc, but I just watched it, and nope.
There was supposed to be a Rogue One comic but it was cancelled.

Seigyoku

Finished season 2 of Rebels. Damn good.

How's The Freemaker Adventures? Worth watching or nah?

We found it hysterical, but at this point we've been following the Lego Star Wars canon for a while. (Yes, there is a Lego Star Wars canon.) Roger is like everything I loved about the battle droids in TCW made even funnier.

We found it hysterical, but at this point we've been following the Lego Star Wars canon for a while. (Yes, there is a Lego Star Wars canon.) Roger is like everything I loved about the battle droids in TCW made even funnier.

So this is connected to all those Lego specials over the years? Would it matter that I've not seen a single one?

Kuros

But we already had the plot to TFA 38 years before then.

derp

Interesting though. I avoided spoilers like the plague (I never opened a single Star Wars topic on GAF until after opening night) but I'm surprised there was that thorough of a plot leak, even if a lot of the finer details changed by release.

MSW got hold of a document containing scene descriptions that was leaked around the time Ford broke his leg and they sacked some of the production staff who then decided to leak stuff in revenge. That doc was apparently seen by a few sites but MSW were the ones who ran with it. I believe Indie Revolver were the original source.

Rough idea of what happened here https://thecantina.starwarsnewsnet.com/index.php?threads/mf-com-leaks-full-shooting-schedule.7140/

Nothing like that has happened so far and it's really noticeable that a lot of the big sites have very little concrete info as regards the actual plot this time.

Seigyoku

So this is connected to all those Lego specials over the years? Would it matter that I've not seen a single one?

It is connected to them at least starting with The Padawan Menace, but no, you don't have to have any of them to follow it.

I recommend it, it was tons of fun to watch and we quote Roger constantly.

Not old enough I think.

Life Debt/Aftermath Spoilers:
Rax is roughly 40 around the battle of Endor, putting him presumably around the age of 70 in Force Awakens if he is still around. Then if he's doing any freaky experiments or whatever with anything the Emperor left behind, that could somewhat explain his appearance in TFA

Your Snoke theory sucks.

Well obviously. But most of these books are incredibly non-important in the grand scheme of things, so if something of actual substance were to come out of it they might actually be worth something.

Which is why I think they might actually be doing something cool and be showing a bit of backstory/origin/motivation of a main character - in this case Snoke.

Maybe the leader of the Ren is traditionally called Snoke or something.
VII will give more insight here, the lack of worldbuilding around the Knights of Ren is something that I dislike about TFA.
Snoke refers to Kylo as Master of the Knights of Ren in the film, so I don't think he considers himself one of them, just the guy in charge. It'll be interesting to see how much of a hold he snd Kylo have over the rest of them though and whether they operate as part of the First Order.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I wasn't a big fan of Vader Down either, though I think both series' pick up again after it concludes.

Hey, you were right: both SW and Vader had pretty strong third volumes. Rebel Jail and the Shu-Torun war were miles better than the previous arcs. One onfurtunate thing about the trade of Rebel Jail though was
that it bundles the arc with the annual, which I knew came out before some other issues. So I knew immediately who the masked figure was.
Still was a great story though.

So now I'm done with these two and Lando, my best bet is probably Obi Wan & Anakin, anything else? Kanan?

Top Bottom