• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Hey, you were right: both SW and Vader had pretty strong third volumes. Rebel Jail and the Shu-Torun war were miles better than the previous arcs. One onfurtunate thing about the trade of Rebel Jail though was
that it bundles the arc with the annual, which I knew came out before some other issues. So I knew immediately who the masked figure was.
Still was a great story though.

So now I'm done with these two and Lando, my best bet is probably Obi Wan & Anakin, anything else? Kanan?

I was really surprised when I found out who it was. Didn't see it coming at all. It was always going to be difficult to bundle those issues together without giving it away.

I'd definitely recommend Obi-Wan & Anakin. It's nice to get a look at their relationship back then, it takes place on a weird cyberpunk style planet and it shows how Palpatine was grooming Anakin even back then. I like Kanan though not as much as some people on the forum. It's worth giving the first trade a go at least, especially if you like Rebels.

Star Wars: Kanan was pretty good, I thought. It's only 12 issues, divided up into two arcs. Both are flashbacks, taking place during the final days of the Clone Wars. The first basically begins with Order 66, so it gets off to a great start. It's a little weird that the two flashbacks are out of order... the first deals with how he escaped Order 66 and what he did afterwards, then the second arc flashes even further back to his earliest Padawan days. But it's well written, and the art is good. I definitely recommend it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I was really surprised when I found out who it was. Didn't see it coming at all. It was always going to be difficult to bundle those issues together without giving it away.

I'd definitely recommend Obi-Wan & Anakin. It's nice to get a look at their relationship back then, it takes place on a weird cyberpunk style planet and it shows how Palpatine was grooming Anakin even back then. I like Kanan though not as much as some people on the forum. It's worth giving the first trade a go at least, especially if you like Rebels.

Star Wars: Kanan was pretty good, I thought. It's only 12 issues, divided up into two arcs. Both are flashbacks, taking place during the final days of the Clone Wars. The first basically begins with Order 66, so it gets off to a great start. It's a little weird that the two flashbacks are out of order... the first deals with how he escaped Order 66 and what he did afterwards, then the second arc flashes even further back to his earliest Padawan days. But it's well written, and the art is good. I definitely recommend it.

Ok thanks, I'll order both series soon. I guess then I will have covered most of the good stuff. I haven't seen enough (if any) recommendations for Leia and Chewbacca.

Bernbaum

Figured I'd ask here as to the quality of the mainline comic run from Marvel (2015-ongoing).

Entered the thread to see plenty of references to the series.

Time to dive in?

Has anything from the new canon or heck even the old one tried to explain why the Empire stopped using something so useful as the Republic gunships?
Has the new canon created anything of a similar role.

Has anything from the new canon or heck even the old one tried to explain why the Empire stopped using something so useful as the Republic gunships?

The explanation is that George forgot how to continuity.

Literally every piece of Clone War era/Republic tech apparently ceasing to exist in less than two decades was always super annoying. Like, we still use planes designed in the 50s. Fuck, we have planes built in the 50s that are expected to serve well into the 2040s. The entire galactic star fleet, as well as all aerial and ground craft being replaced in 15-20 years is kind of absurd lol.

And I'm not aware of anything that's a perfect match. It's all either TIE variants or shuttle variants. I could be forgetting something from Rebels though...

Literally every piece of Clone War era/Republic tech apparently ceasing to exist in less than two decades was always super annoying. Like, we still use planes designed in the 50s. Fuck, we have planes built in the 50s that are expected to serve well into the 2040s. The entire galactic star fleet, as well as all aerial and ground craft being replaced in 15-20 years is kind of absurd lol.

And I'm not aware of anything that's a perfect match. It's all either TIE variants or shuttle variants. I could be forgetting something from Rebels though...

On the other hand, I think the Tie Striker is a really close variant of the Jedi Starfighters from Ep 3.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

Well, if it matters, EA Battlefront is pretty much trying to make every battle look way more awesome and technologically diverse (to a reasonable extent) than they actually were.

Some of it is fine but the republic gunship is so different to everything we see afterwards it just crazy

Imagine Hoth if the Rebels had a few captured LAATs.

If it was a few off specials okay they are easy to explain away but the Empire likely had hundreds of thousands to millions of them and suddenly nothing remotely similar in 20-years.(been rewatching Clone Wars is why this came up.)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Well, we are talking about a universe where grown up mans withness a genocide on a galactic known religious order and act like its hocus pocus and never had proof of existince

Well, we are talking about a universe where grown up mans withness a genocide on a galactic known religious order and act like its hocus pocus and never had proof of existince

To be fair, there were 10,000 Jedi Knights at peak, across an entire galaxy, so the overwhelming majority of sentient beings would have never seen one. And while people across a large chunk of the galaxy likely wouldn't ever doubt they existed, it's totally reasonable that many would dismiss their abilities as myths and trickery. Hell, many did during the reign of the Jedi.

It's a little iffy, but it's not even on the first page of a list of arguable or outright inconsistencies in the canon. :p

Toa TAK

Banned
And goodness how much of it is Twilight of the Apprentice... Not a bad thing mind you!
The *only* thing I'm bummed about was that the music where the fight between Ahsoka and Darth Vader is initiated isn't there. I wanted to hear that epic version of Ahsoka's theme. :(

One thing im loving about Rogue One design so far is the real world sense to the designs.
The Scarif trooper has a strong WW2 vibe from the color to the leather pouches, pants and boots.
Also has a pretty cool blaster variant(which honestly feels like a precursor to the standard ST blaster)

on the other hand the Imperial ground crew have a very modern Navy Seal-ish design.
And despite these modern design elements its easy to see it alongside the Death Star gunner design for example.

So I guess this is our first real look at the new Vader suit from Rogue One (via MSW).

IMG_3742.jpg

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ordered Rebels 2 blu ray set. The Vader appearances alone have me pretty excited for it. Also started reading Lost Stars. Not far in, but I'm liking it so far.

Sayers

Ordered Rebels 2 blu ray set. The Vader appearances alone have me pretty excited for it. Also started reading Lost Stars. Not far in, but I'm liking it so far.

Season 2 has some really high highs alongside some pretty low lows. I would say the season finale is up there with the best of TCW though.

Started reading the first Aftermath title and I'm about 60 pages in. The actual writing is not bad but it just jumps all over the place. It's like a movie having 5 hours of footage and having to be cut down to a two hour movie. In 60 pages, I've encountered so many different characters doing various things and I can't tell you anything about a centralized plot. It's only saving grace is it's set in the Star Wars universe.

Started reading the first Aftermath title and I'm about 60 pages in. The actual writing is not bad but it just jumps all over the place. It's like a movie having 5 hours of footage and having to be cut down to a two hour movie. In 60 pages, I've encountered so many different characters doing various things and I can't tell you anything about a centralized plot. It's only saving grace is it's set in the Star Wars universe.

There are too many interludes in the original. The sequel benefits from having the crew all together at the start and focusing on a clearer narrative.

I wonder how much Ahsoka will reference Dark Disciple? I still haven't read DD, and I'm binge watching the final two seasons of TCW. I want to start reading Ahsoka when it gets here Tuesday.

Problem with the first one is that it has to establish a good 5-6 characters that end up being main players, but they all also start out separately so it is tough to see how they will intertwine until you are already in it a decent chunk.

Then add in the interludes and yeah it is pretty confusing to start.

I enjoyed it overall but it was a bit overwhelming at times for sure.

Surfinn

The tunic is under the shoulder pads unlike in ANH?

BooThisMan.gif

don't really care tbh lol

I always understood Vader as constantly changing his appearance over the years, perhaps even parts of his suit. I'm cool with him looking a LITTLE different than he does in ANH, as long as it's not like the ESB version or something as that wouldn't make any sense.

Top Bottom