• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Maybe it's the name of the group going to get the plans? But that is just me thinking about it.

I always just assumed that 'rogue one' was an alliance codename for the death star itself, it would explain why the pilot survivors of the battle of yavin earned the right to call themselves 'rogue squadron' when all other flights are referred to by colours.

Remember that time James Blonde and Kylo Ren were in prison together?

CrLJXkDWIAAHubw.jpg

Me neither.

Kalentan

Not sure if you guys saw it but the synopsis for the pre-Rogue One novel, Catalyst was released and it takes place during The Clone Wars.

The synopsis for those who haven't seen it:

War is tearing the galaxy apart. For years the Republic and the Separatists have battled across the stars, each building more and more deadly technology in an attempt to win the war. As a member of Chancellor Palpatine’s top secret Death Star project, Orson Krennic is determined to develop a superweapon before their enemies can. And an old friend of Krennic’s, the brilliant scientist Galen Erso, could be the key.

Galen’s energy-focused research has captured the attention of both Krennic and his foes, making the scientist a crucial pawn in the galactic conflict. But after Krennic rescues Galen, his wife, Lyra, and their young daughter, Jyn, from Separatist kidnappers, the Erso family is deeply in Krennic’s debt. Krennic then offers Galen an extraordinary opportunity: to continue his scientific studies with every resource put utterly at his disposal. While Galen and Lyra believe that his energy research will be used purely in altruistic ways, Krennic has other plans that will finally make the Death Star a reality. Trapped in their benefactor’s tightening grasp, the Ersos must untangle Krennic’s web of deception to save themselves and the galaxy itself.

Sounds like a must-read. Especially with Luceno writing it.

sphagnum

Banned
That Catalyst synopsis sounds interesting but seems to conflict with the established idea that the Death Star was a separatist superweapon until the Empire claimed it at the end of the war. Maybe they're retconning it so that Republic intelligence (in actuality Palpatine leaking info) "discovered" the Death Star plans and started working on it before the war ended?

Seigyoku

That Catalyst synopsis sounds interesting but seems to conflict with the established idea that the Death Star was a separatist superweapon until the Empire claimed it at the end of the war. Maybe they're retconning it so that Republic intelligence (in actuality Palpatine leaking info) "discovered" the Death Star plans and started working on it before the war ended?

I spend too much time thinking about SW.

The Geonosians (who were aligned with the Separatists) created the initial design for the Death Star for Dooku and his "master." When the battle starts to go the Republic's way Poggle the Lesser gives the plans to Dooku who actually says outloud he is taking them to Coruscant. (I watched AotC on the way back from Hawaii last week. It was the SW movie I'd seen the least times!) He then delivers them to Sidious, who is of course, Palpatine. The rest of the Republic has no clue the Geonosians were working on this, so there is no retcon, just a clarification that he then turned some of the work on the project over to trusted minions in the Republic. After the war and the formation of the Empire, the task of building the damn thing went back to the Genosians for a while, but after a point it was moved and the planet "sterilized" to keep it secret. Undoubtedly both Tarkin and Krennic signed off on this.

AAAnd this reminds me that I have like seven SW kids' and reference books I need to go pick up from bookstore this weekend.

sphagnum

Banned
I spend too much time thinking about SW.

The Geonosians (who were aligned with the Separatists) created the initial design for the Death Star for Dooku and his "master." When the battle starts to go the Republic's way Poggle the Lesser gives the plans to Dooku who actually says outloud he is taking them to Coruscant. (I watched AotC on the way back from Hawaii last week. It was the SW movie I'd seen the least times!) He then delivers them to Sidious, who is of course, Palpatine. The rest of the Republic has no clue the Geonosians were working on this, so there is no retcon, just a clarification that he then turned some of the work on the project over to trusted minions in the Republic. After the war and the formation of the Empire, the task of building the damn thing went back to the Genosians for a while, but after a point it was moved and the planet "sterilized" to keep it secret. Undoubtedly both Tarkin and Krennic signed off on this.

AAAnd this reminds me that I have like seven SW kids' and reference books I need to go pick up from bookstore this weekend.

The separatists were still the ones building, or at least intending on building, the Death Star during the war though. The whole Crystal Crisis on Utapau arc from the unfinished TCW episodes is about Grievous trying to get that huge kyber crystal off Utapau because it's going to be used for the "Ultimate Weapon". There's no indication ever that the Republic is working on some kind of secret weapon. Or at least that's always been my assumption, unless the DS frame seen at the end of RotS wasn't a separatist project that the Republic "took over" but a secret black project that the Republic had been building the whole time.

Seigyoku

The separatists were still the ones building, or at least intending on building, the Death Star during the war though. The whole Crystal Crisis on Utapau arc from the unfinished TCW episodes is about Grievous trying to get that huge kyber crystal off Utapau because it's going to be used for the "Ultimate Weapon". There's no indication ever that the Republic is working on some kind of secret weapon. Or at least that's always been my assumption, unless the DS frame seen at the end of RotS wasn't a separatist project that the Republic "took over" but a secret black project that the Republic had been building the whole time.

Besides the fact that Grevious, a front line general doesn't know and doesn't care about the going ons of special projects (he just wants to win battles and kill Jedi), you forget, ONE person was running both sides the entire war. It was all set up so no matter how the chips fell, the Jedi would die, the Separatist Council would die, and Palpy would rule no matter which side "won." So it makes sense he had both sides working on his pet project that was going to let him keep the galaxy in line while he did secret evil Sith stuff. He was going to win and in the end he'd have the Best People from both sides working on it because, well, they were both his sides.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Read the first few issues of the Vader series... this is pretty damn good. The references and callbacks to the prequel era are so well done. 'Ever been to Geonosis Lord Vader'? Only at issue 4 but I'm starting to get why this is the most acclaimed series. These are actually the first SW comics I've read, exceeded my expectations.

Toa TAK

Banned
Read the first few issues of the Vader series... this is pretty damn good. The references and callbacks to the prequel era are so well done. 'Ever been to Geonosis Lord Vader'? Only at issue 4 but I'm starting to get why this is the most acclaimed series. These are actually the first SW comics I've read, exceeded my expectations.
That's one of my favorite parts as well.

Darth Vader is a fantastic comic, everyone should read Darth Vader.

Surfinn

Just finished Life Debt. I have a lot of big things to say about it, but here's one dumb little detail. In the one interlude on
Tattooine
, is it possible the
young hutt
they mention is
Rotta
? That would be kind of fun. And plausible, although I don't know how fast they mature. They seem to be pretty long lived.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Good news: Poe Dameron issue 7 has increased from 32 pages to 40 pages.

Bad news: Poe Dameron issue 7 has been delayed from Oct. 5 to Oct. 26. -_-

Source: http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/lists/marvel-comics-extended-forecast-for-09-07-2016

In other Poe Dameron comic-related news, issue 6 comes out today! Hopefully it'll be good. I've still been kinda underwhelmed by the series so far, even if this arc has been better than the first one. Then again, there's still time for
a kaiju fight to show up

Sayers

It may be that I've gotten used to the Rebels design but all of the Rogue One art of Vader has always looked a little off to me.

I'm going to the CincyComicCon this weekend and every year I get some art from the artist. I asked Zak Hartong who does his own web comic and is about to start a Kickstarted graphic novel to do me a comission. I gave him the choices of Superman, Joker, or Kylo Ren and he chose Kylo. Tonight, he sent me what he had done and I love it. Thought I would share with you all.

Q2rHEBe.jpg

I'm going to the CincyComicCon this weekend and every year I get some art from the artist. I asked Zak Hartong who does his own web comic and is about to start a Kickstarted graphic novel to do me a comission. I gave him the choices of Superman, Joker, or Kylo Ren and he chose Kylo. Tonight, he sent me what he had done and I love it. Thought I would share with you all.

Q2rHEBe.jpg

Love it. Reminds me of Disney Infinity Kylo.

So which book should I read next? I've now read both Aftermath books and Bloodlines. I'm tempted to go chronological, but I haven't finished watching TCW yet, so I hate to start Dark Disciple until I do.

Either way I want to blow through whatever I read next before the Rogue One tie in novel comes out.

I think it's probably either going to be Lost Stars, Tarkin or New Dawn. Or maybe I can go on a crazy TCW marathon and just do Dark Disciple.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Why are the star wars comics not on marvel universe?

Sayers

So which book should I read next? I've now read both Aftermath books and Bloodlines. I'm tempted to go chronological, but I haven't finished watching TCW yet, so I hate to start Dark Disciple until I do.

Either way I want to blow through whatever I read next before the Rogue One tie in novel comes out.

I think it's probably either going to be Lost Stars, Tarkin or New Dawn. Or maybe I can go on a crazy TCW marathon and just do Dark Disciple.

You should finish TCW either way. But if you finish TCW now, you will be ready to read Ahsoka when it comes out next month.

shingi70

Banned

In Order of Goodness

Lost Stars
Dark Disciple
Tarkin
New Dawn

If it's any help, I kind of wish I'd watched TCW before reading Tarkin as there seemed to be continuity references going over my head.

So... Is there a reason the Disney XD app and website are missing a single episode of Rebels, "Gathering Forces"? :| I'm currently at that episode would rather not buy it...

More the parts how the group meets and that the Deathstar plans arent all on the same planet

It says in the intro that it's an original story written and produced by a team of fans. Lucasfilm wouldn't just give them the Rogue One story.

It looks like they're just going by the trailers. We know that Jyn and Cassian visit Jedha and probably recruit Baze and Chirrut there.

Top Bottom