• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Seigyoku

I was gonna say, nice how just after I posted, the Star Wars Show finally went live with the trailer and new comic announcements...

*continues to glare at Wookiepedia for not getting Leia and the Great Island Escape into the timeline(

curb

Banned
I'm full of Star Wars love today. New Rogue One trailer tomorrow, the
Aphra
comic and I bought my copy of the Ahsoka book today. Pretty good day in my books.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Oh shit, during Designated Survivor just now they played a promo for the new Rogue One Trailer during tomorrow's Good Morning America. Hype!

BTW, I picked up issue 4 of Han Solo today. This series is so good. Those several panels between Loo Re Anno and Han talking about why her people flew the Dragon Void Run were awesome.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm getting a little more worried that the movie will be filled with cliched lines about REBELLION and HOPE. But we'll just have to see, I guess.

Damn if the trailer didn't look amazing, though. Dem X-Wings pew-pewing!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Watching Rebels s2, I loved the episode where the
gang teams up with Rex & co to fight the walkers. Those sand storm shots with the AT-ATs looming around them were awesome.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
omg the Future of the Force episode in Rebels s2: amazing!
Ahsoka unleashed!
I'm going to fly through the rest of this season now, so far it's vastly superior to s1. I even loved the episode focusing on the B-Wing, awesome there's finally some focus on that ship.

I was reading through Han Solo #4 this afternoon and noticed the Hovertank troopers that will be appearing in Rogue One turned up. #ItsAllConnected

pRUSEls.png

I thought it was another good issue. I wouldn't put it at the top of the pile of Marvel's Star Wars book but I've enjoyed the first four issues. The art's great and Liu's nailed Han's dialogue and attitude.

I'd have to agree with spahgnum that Star Wars #23 felt like filler. The ending gave me hope for the next issue though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Glad you've enjoyed it. The finale is peak Rebels for me.

I'm still reeling man, that was even better than I expected. I believe in the part where
Maul blinds Kanan there's even a hint of Duel of the Fates for a few seconds. Ahsoka chopping off part of Vader's mask was also awesome and made for some unforgettable shots.

I usually wait for the blu sets but I need to watch the early eps of s3 now, this is getting way too good.

Ezalc

The jump in quality between Rebels s1 and 2 is amazing. I'm hoping this continues this season.

Thing I keep thinking about with shows like this and the new Rogue One movie is that, them trying to retroactively add new lore to events before ANH will leave us with a bunch of stuff like what happened to such and such character and why did nobody mention jedis in the rebellion when Luke starts being a part of it. (even if they kill off ezra and kanan or whatever people should still talk about how they were there.)

Kind of lessens how well things flow.

I was reading through Han Solo #4 this afternoon and noticed the Hovertank troopers that will be appearing in Rogue One turned up. #ItsAllConnected

I thought it was another good issue. I wouldn't put it at the top of the pile of Marvel's Star Wars book but I've enjoyed the first four issues. The art's great and Liu's nailed Han's dialogue and attitude.

I'd have to agree with spahgnum that Star Wars #23 felt like filler. The ending gave me hope for the next issue though.
That is really cool to see.

Surfinn

They've already been posted in the latest Rogue One thread but EW have got hold of a few of the new Rogue One Topps cards that show off some new characters.

As the article says, it would be great if this was Evaan Verlaine.

There's a lot here as well.

Some of my favourites:

Incredible. I will say that there's a lot more visual creativity that went into this film than TFA. I'm pumped.

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2016/10/14/swct-base4-r1-life-on-jedha.jpg

Really love this one.. it's bold.

sphagnum

Banned
Just finished the Ahsoka book. It was good, but a lot more low key than I was expecting. I wish we had gotten more based on the Siege of Mandalore - maybe they're saving that for something.

The first half moves pretty slowly but it picks up after that. Cool origin for her sabers too, though I wonder
if darksiders turn their blades red automatically through the Force, why didn't Anakin's turn red on Mustafar? I would suspect it's because he didn't kill anyone to take the crystal, which seems to be the idea I guess.

Just finished the Ahsoka book. It was good, but a lot more low key than I was expecting. I wish we had gotten more based on the Siege of Mandalore - maybe they're saving that for something.

The first half moves pretty slowly but it picks up after that. Cool origin for her sabers too, though I wonder
if darksiders turn their blades red automatically through the Force, why didn't Anakin's turn red on Mustafar? I would suspect it's because he didn't kill anyone to take the crystal, which seems to be the idea I guess.

That seems interesting to think about.

Re: sabers
I think that the issue of crystal color is one that comes during the actual construction of a saber. As in, some sort of force connection with the crystal is needed for it to reveal itself in the first place, and then the connection is maintained for the actual act of constructing the lightsaber. When a darksider steals a crystal and makes their own new lightsaber this is when the "bleeding" occurs. Once it's already constructed the color is set (hence why non-force users can use them and this issue with Anakin), or at least until the saber is broken and the crystals are repurposed. Ahsoka didn't use the red lightsaber, she ripped the crystals out which is when they turned white. Of course, I may be mistaken, in which case I think this is a clumsy way to explain something that didn't need explaining.

Kuros

Re: sabers
I think that the issue of crystal color is one that comes during the actual construction of a saber. As in, some sort of force connection with the crystal is needed for it to reveal itself in the first place, and then the connection is maintained for the actual act of constructing the lightsaber. When a darksider steals a crystal and makes their own new lightsaber this is when the "bleeding" occurs. Once it's already constructed the color is set (hence why non-force users can use them and this issue with Anakin), or at least until the saber is broken and the crystals are repurposed. Ahsoka didn't use the red lightsaber, she ripped the crystals out which is when they turned white. Of course, I may be mistaken, in which case I think this is a clumsy way to explain something that didn't need explaining.

Explaining absolutely everything that didn't need explaining was also one of the failures of the old EU.

Explaining absolutely everything that didn't need explaining was also one of the failures of the old EU.
100% totally agreed, it tends to kill the magic and wonder of it all.

Though to be fair, details like
kyber crystals choosing their owners and establishing that a bond is formed can open up interesting storytelling pathways that they seem keen on exploring (perhaps in Rogue One with the Death Star, or why the Skywalker lightsaber seems to have a life of it's own).
This sort of thing has magic to it. Explaining the whole process behind it diminishes that.

Top Bottom