• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

antonz

I heard about that prosthetics part but didn't know about the issues they had with it.

Nah no issues as far as the prosthetics.

The issue is with the digital scans of Tarkin they have. All footage of Peter Cushing is from the Waist up. Supposedly they have been using footage from other movies he was in to get authentic movement for his legs etc.

If it is all accurate this would be a pretty big step in Hollywood.

Guardians of the galaxy+ Star Wars crossover confirmed
roone-asws-npicsinfortwo-p01.jpg
More:

If Bistan dies, I riot. He's already dead. Neil Scanlan and his team are wizards. Some amazing looking aliens.

The TIE Striker's looking great as well.

Tony Gilroy's going to pocket $5 million for his expanded work on Rogue One.

Gilroy, writer of several Bourne movies and director of best picture Oscar nominee Michael Clayton, first was brought in to help write dialogue and scenes for Rogue’s reshoots and was being paid $200,000 a week, according to several sources. That figure is fairly normal for a top-tier writer on a big-budget studio film. But as the workload (and the reshoots) expanded, so did Gilroy's time and paycheck.

Gilroy started on Rogue One in June, and by August, he was taking a leading role with Edwards in postproduction, which lasted well into the fall. The reshoots are said to have tackled several issues in the film, including the ending.

I really want to know how the ending changed over time.

Ezalc

More kid friendly is what I'm expecting.

Hoping that's not the case. Given that none of the characters in the movie are referenced at all in the subsequent ones, for obvious reasons, I'm expecting them all to end up dead or captured and turned traitors.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Hoping that's not the case. Given that none of the characters in the movie are referenced at all in the subsequent ones, for obvious reasons, I'm expecting them all to end up dead or captured and turned traitors.
Vader mentions in ANH that he tracked down the rebels who sent the plans via signal in a way that's like he did so personally. I think Team Rogue One's ass is glassed.

kevin1025

Banned

I expect that the original ending was more subdued and hopeful. The rumors were that the original film was incredibly violent. Gilroy, from over the years, has been the kind of guy that can leave a project if it's not working out or if he doesn't feel it's his way. So I imagine that the movie might be a co-direction at this point, given the amount of time he's spent on it.

As for the new ending, my guess is it's more hopeful than subdued and dark, maybe the final shot is a wide shot of Leia putting the plans inside R2.

Sayers

The ending needs to play out like a horror film, the monster picking everyone off one by one while they all run from him in terror. Then at the very end, Jyn tries to make a heroic last stand and just gets a lightsaber in the gut.

Oh that sounds great. Do you have a link? I'd like to read the rest of the interview.

Yeah, it's one of the EW articles Anthony Breznican wrote last week.

Without giving away plot, what were your impressions of it?
It is a film that is in many ways a really great World War II movie, and I loved that about it. But it also has this huge, huge heart at the center of it, and that was the one thing I just didn’t want to discount. Yes, it’s an action movie, and it’s a Star Wars film, and it has all the things that you would come to expect and love about that, but I didn’t want to forget that it was also an incredibly emotional movie as well. That was what really pulled me in. I love working on projects that have an emotional center to them – and not manufactured emotion either, even though, you know, [laughs] it’s a weird thing to say because literally that’s all we’re doing, manufacturing emotion.

And what emotions did it make you feel?
What I liked about this movie is it didn’t feel false to me. It felt real, and I was able to just draw upon those emotions, whether it be sadness, loneliness… All of those things wrap into what we’re doing within the score. That was important to both Gareth, and Tony, and Kathy as well.

MMarston

The ending needs to play out like a horror film, the monster picking everyone off one by one while they all run from him in terror. Then at the very end, Jyn tries to make a heroic last stand and just gets a lightsaber in the gut.
"Then she will die braver than most"

Been saying this the entire film. Doesn't even need to use a lightsaber, just have him murder everyone with the Force.

Been saying this the entire film. Doesn't even need to use a lightsaber, just have him murder everyone with the Force.

According to Empire's Rogue One issue,
no lightsabers are used in the film.
It could be considered a minor spoiler so don't read if you don't want to know anything.

sphagnum

Banned

I would lower expectations about the extent of Vader's involvement.

I would lower expectations about the extent of Vader's involvement.

I have a feeling quite a few people will be disappointed with his screentime. It'll be like Luke in TFA but worse. To be fair Lucasfilm have said it would be a small role but they're making good use of him in the marketing.

That leaves the question: How much Vader are we going to get? The answer – just a little bit. (That’s why there isn’t a new image of him, unfortunately.) Kennedy says Rogue One has to make careful use of Vader. “He will be in the movie sparingly,” she says. “But at a key, strategic moment, he’s going to loom large.”

sphagnum

Banned
I have a feeling quite a few people will be disappointed with his screentime. It'll be like Luke in TFA but worse. To be fair Lucasfilm have said it would be a small role but they're making good use of him in the marketing.

Yeah, people have built up this idea that Vader is going to be a rampaging monster slaughtering the cast but it's based on nothing but fan desire. There has never been any hints that anything like that would happen. It would be cool, but I feel like he's going to just show up to kill Krennic.

Yeah, people have built up this idea that Vader is going to be a rampaging monster slaughtering the cast but it's based on nothing but fan desire. There has never been any hints that anything like that would happen. It would be cool, but I feel like he's going to just show up to kill Krennic.

There was this rumour from Making Star Wars at the beginning of the year, saying they'd heard an action scene was filmed, but they haven't mentioned it since. What they described sounds more like that shot of Krennic walking across the beach on Scarif. Maybe Lucasfilm were considering giving him a bigger role at one point but changed their minds. I expect that as with TFA they produced a lot of concept art for ideas that were never used.

Surfinn

I hope Vader at least has a hugely significant role in the time he's given. Even if that means he's in it for 5-10 min, I'm cool with that.

Ezalc

Only thing I want is to see all of the heroes accomplish the mission, then quickly feel the unlimited power of the dark side.

sphagnum

Banned
I don't know if anyone knows the answer; but something that has bugged me and curious if the answer was given. Why does the Death Star appear upside down in almost every picture we've seen of it so far?

There is no up or down in space. They're just having fun with the imagery.

MMarston

You know, considering the size of it from that picture, the Death Star being able to blow up entire planets seems way sillier now.

Top Bottom