• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

sphagnum

Banned
So if this turns out to be true, we know who the two characters from TPM that MSW spoke of being in Rogue One are...

Jar Jar and Sio Bibble

kevin1025

Banned
So with Rogue One I'm trying to decide 3D or not 3D. Was 3D handled well with TFA?

For IMAX 3D I remember it being somewhat subtle, mostly just depth of field stuff. But with Gareth Edwards it might have something more in there, not sure what sort of work was done in that department. Because of the darkness of the image I'd almost lean towards 2D, unless it's IMAX, then you might be a little stuck with 3D.

(But I can't resist seeing Star Wars in IMAX, so my first viewing will be in 3D, haha.)

Quasar

For IMAX 3D I remember it being somewhat subtle, mostly just depth of field stuff. But with Gareth Edwards it might have something more in there, not sure what sort of work was done in that department. Because of the darkness of the image I'd almost lean towards 2D, unless it's IMAX, then you might be a little stuck with 3D.

(But I can't resist seeing Star Wars in IMAX, so my first viewing will be in 3D, haha.)

Hmm...having a look he did do Godzilla.

Don't have access to a IMAX screen, so yeah maybe I'll just go 2D.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Rogue One OT is up.

MMarson gets the OT title. I have no prize, so you'll have to settle for my thanks.

g2hvdqv.gif

Cheebo

Banned
From what I read
Jar Jar
appears in the meeting of the rebel leaders on Yavin IV with Mon Mothma and Bail Organa.

Multiple people have mentioned it so it is likely true.

Ridisc

Banned
Are there actual spoilers in the rogue one spoiler thread? I had not heard of any real juicy ones leaked, other than the one at celebration.

Are there actual spoilers in the rogue one spoiler thread? I had not heard of any real juicy ones leaked, other than the one at celebration.

Nope. Rogue One's been a much tighter ship than TFA. Most of the big spoilers have come from Lucasfilm or one of their employees (lol) and there haven't been many.

Jyn Lives. Luke knocks her up after the Empire falls. She drops off their daughter on Jakku. THEN Jyn dies.

Wait, I want to revise this theory. (I have a long highway drive and too much time to think about stuff like this). Here's what REALLY HAPPENS:

After Luke lost his lightsaber in Bespin, it was recovered from the ductwork by whoever. They sold it on the black market. His dismembered hand was with it, so that was frozen in a small carbonite container. Whoever bought the hand took it straight to Kamino. Maybe someone working for Snoke? I dunno. Anyway, the longnecks used the hand to clone Luke.

Rey HAD no mother, just like Anakin had no father. It's kinda like poetry.

But maybe Jyn is still her "mother" somehow, I dunno. Adopted or something.

(somebody probably already thought of this.)

Anything interesting like the Snoke reveal from the TFA book?

Nah. There's a lot of gorgeous art and some great storyboards of a scene that's no doubt from Jyn's childhood, but nothing super-spoilery. It being an Original Trilogy side-story, they can't get too crazy with the new stuff.

sphagnum

Banned
Nah. There's a lot of gorgeous art and some great storyboards of a scene that's no doubt from Jyn's childhood, but nothing super-spoilery. It being an Original Trilogy side-story, they can't get too crazy with the new stuff.

Did you notice if there was anything indicative of the Senate or Coruscant? Pablo Hidalgo said we can expect to see Coruscant again sooner than we might expect but nobody knows if that means Rogue One or Episode VIII.

Did you notice if there was anything indicative of the Senate or Coruscant? Pablo Hidalgo said we can expect to see Coruscant again sooner than we might expect but nobody knows if that means Rogue One or Episode VIII.

Nothing that I noticed. Though there were some pieces noted as "Darth Vader's Lair."

Scoring Rogue One:

https://youtu.be/Gisdw0zJu-U

I really like what I am hearing so far!
Same but I'll always wonder, what if Alexandre Desplat did the score

When the Disney news started to come out, especially after celebration 2015 Rogue One became my most anticipated film. Yes even over the soon to be released ep 7. This was largely driven by wanting to Edwards war journalistic style star wars, and desplat 's non John Williams style composition. 18 month's later I'm a little disappointed that we likely aren't getting Gareth Edwards' actual vision for this movie, and a guy who was voted "most likely to be a John Williams clone" at orchestra school. Not that I don't think I'll like, or even love the film, it's just been one thing after another.

I think this will be a great Star wars movie, but I wanted the spinoffs to push the bounds of what it meant to be a Star Wars movie.

Sayers

I think this will be a great Star wars movie, but I wanted the spinoffs to push the bounds of what it meant to be a Star Wars movie.

I'm hoping once they get past the fan pandering stuff like the Han Solo and Boba Fett movies they will be forced to strike out in new directions.

Surfinn

Same but I'll always wonder, what if Alexandre Desplat did the score

When the Disney news started to come out, especially after celebration 2015 Rogue One became my most anticipated film. Yes even over the soon to be released ep 7. This was largely driven by wanting to Edwards war journalistic style star wars, and desplat 's non John Williams style composition. 18 month's later I'm a little disappointed that we likely aren't getting Gareth Edwards' actual vision for this movie, and a guy who was voted "most likely to be a John Williams clone" at orchestra school. Not that I don't think I'll like, or even love the film, it's just been one thing after another.

Nice post, great points here. Agreed but we may still get a fantastic score.

kevin1025

Banned
I'm hoping once they get past the fan pandering stuff like the Han Solo and Boba Fett movies they will be forced to strike out in new directions.

Once IX has wrapped, I think that will be fascinating, to see where Lucasfilm and Disney take the franchise. We'll probably hear what's next before IX releases, but their gameplan for the future after these five movies will hopefully branch out at that point. That's the time to make some new characters shine and to tell new and incredible stories! If they stick to what we know and love, I'll still be fine with it, but I'd rather follow a new bounty hunter in the Outer Rim, or see the Old Republic in action, or watch a small scale character piece of a Jedi falling to the Dark Side.

Once IX has wrapped, I think that will be fascinating, to see where Lucasfilm and Disney take the franchise. We'll probably hear what's next before IX releases, but their gameplan for the future after these five movies will hopefully branch out at that point. That's the time to make some new characters shine and to tell new and incredible stories! If they stick to what we know and love, I'll still be fine with it, but I'd rather follow a new bounty hunter in the Outer Rim, or see the Old Republic in action, or watch a small scale character piece of a Jedi falling to the Dark Side.
Wasn't there some word about the principle cast of the solo movie all getting options for a 2nd and 3rd film in their contracts? I think we are about to see

2017 - episode 8
2018 - han solo
2019 - episode 9
2020 - fett or another spinoff
2021 - solo 2 electric jabbaloo
2022 - kenobi
2023 - solo 3 and the secret of the hyper drive
2024 - kenobi 2
2025 - episode 10

Clips on Kimmel tonight looked good. My hype for this movie is through the roof.

Bonus, collected all the Legos!

IkzwyI4.jpg
Im on a self imposed ban on lego because I can't seem to finish a single set but kept purchasing more

Saiyan-Rox

Literally got an email from O2 saying I won tickets to see a prescreening of Rogue One :D shame i'm working that night....considering pulling a sicky lol

Rootbeer

Banned
I might buy the soundtrack for this movie.
It will be on Spotify day one just like The Force Awakens OST was, so I'm covered!

Spotify has all of the soundtracks, super convenient... oh and the seekbar turns into a lightsaber when you play star wars music. You can click the seek bar to change it to Vader, Luke's ANH saber or Luke's RotJ Saber. Neat detail.

landscape-1450692112-spotify-lightsaber.jpg

Ridisc

Banned
Hard to go places without people openly reporting about the first 30 minutes, while spoilres dont affect me as much with this, in that if I hear something im not going to be sad, id rather not hear that much now, I remember twitch was unusable the week of TFA, people were donating spoilers, chat was spoiler spam, had Hans death revealed 3 days before I went ot see it.

Is everyone here watching Rebels? If they deliver on the currently hinted storyline
Kenobi vs Maul rematch
then this season finale could surpass S2's.

Fj0823

So if this turns out to be true, we know who the two characters from TPM that MSW spoke of being in Rogue One are...

Jar Jar and Sio Bibble

B..but the distance! Not acknowledging!

These Rebels, Clone Wars, Prequel Cameos give me life

I already love Rogue One's director, he seems like someone who made his Star Wars homework beyond episode IV

Is everyone here watching Rebels? If they deliver on the currently hinted storyline
Kenobi vs Maul rematch
then this season finale could surpass S2's.

Hopefully no shotguns will be involved.

kevin1025

Banned
Wasn't there some word about the principle cast of the solo movie all getting options for a 2nd and 3rd film in their contracts? I think we are about to see

2017 - episode 8
2018 - han solo
2019 - episode 9
2020 - fett or another spinoff
2021 - solo 2 electric jabbaloo
2022 - kenobi
2023 - solo 3 and the secret of the hyper drive
2024 - kenobi 2
2025 - episode 10

That's a good point. I didn't know about the multiple films, though keeping the option open makes sense, especially with those two leads. If we're getting a bunch of trilogies... I'm cool with that!

witness

Been avoiding trailers and all media for this like the plague, been going extremely well so far. Bought our tickets, just gotta make it to Sunday morning and I'm good....

Ridisc

Banned
Ive been working under the assumption Mads is going to be in very little of the actual film, possibly a few minutes, anyone else get this impression?

kevin1025

Banned
Ive been working under the assumption Mads is going to be in very little of the actual film, possibly a few minutes, anyone else get this impression?

My total guess is four, maybe five scenes. I think he'll be the first casualty of the movie (I have a really big feeling that he's the one in the TIE Fighter meeting Jyn at the top of that spire).

sphagnum

Banned
My total guess is four, maybe five scenes. I think he'll be the first casualty of the movie (I have a really big feeling that he's the one in the TIE Fighter meeting Jyn at the top of that spire).

I think Saw will die first when the Death Star attacks Jedha, after which they'll return to Yavin IV for the conference with the Senators. Then the Eadu mission to rescue Galen and he'll probably die there.

Edit: decided to put that in spoilers even though it's just speculation

kevin1025

Banned
I think Saw will die first when the Death Star attacks Jedha, after which they'll return to Yavin IV for the conference with the Senators. Then the Eadu mission to rescue Galen and he'll probably die there.

Edit: decided to put that in spoilers even though it's just speculation

That could definitely be true, too! The new IMAX spot came out today I believe, I never watched it but the image for it ruined a really cool shot that would make for a great moment (and might be the reason Krennic has that awesome glare), I'm sad that I saw it (
the huge impact site on Jedha from Krennic's view
).

Edit: Good point, I'll re-edit in your edited post to hide it, haha.

Top Bottom