• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Still need to finish catalyst, enjoying the audiobook a lot, but probably less then my favorite Luceno book darth plagueis, and Johnathan Davis voice for Galena is the same as Darth Bane ' s which you couldn't find more polar opposite characters

I bought Catalyst on Kobo (w/ $5 off coupon) then googled "convert kobo to kindle" and have it ready tonight. Looking forward to starting it and getting through it by Thursday.

Zombine

Banned
It is indeed. I've only got three chapters to go now.

This guy's a piece of work.

tumblr_obsoi2Mq021rlheeoo1_400.gif

You're telling me! But wow is he compelling.

I hate to say this...but the book
is giving Episode II a lot more depth. The Anakain stuff is still awful, but everything relative to Genosis now has way more context.

Ridisc

Banned
Im not going to put too much faith in the post reviews unless they are uncharacteristically negative, we know they should all be glowing.

One thing I really dont look forward to is comparisons to TFA, im already seeing a slightly saddening negative vibe create around TFA since the 30 minutes of footage was shown, I think people are forgetting just how monumental that film was to make.

Ridisc

Banned
They are talking about Leia there im sure of it "A scene we have spent 2 years working on and 2 minutes of screen time"

I dont know its her for sure I just really believe it

They are talking about Leia there im sure of it "A scene we have spent 2 years working on and 2 minutes of screen time"

I dont know its her for sure I just really believe it

Yeah. But a small part of me wonders if they are gonna show young luke, with hope being an important theme in the movie.

Ridisc

Banned
Tarkin, I reckon.

Thats why I believe Leia is in it, because of all the tech rumours ive heard about Tarkin, plus the EW piece that talks about a technological marvel in the film that will wow people.

I think IF you have that tech and you can do Leia, you have to do Leia.

sphagnum

Banned
Has anyone read the Dark Disciple novel? How was it?

It's ok. It's clearly 8 episodes of TCW smashed together in novel form because it moves very fast jumping around from separate adventure to separate adventure. I actually really liked the first 3/4, particularly the
lightsaber battle under the fireworks after Dooku accepts a humanitarian award!

The last fourth of it goes off the rails with logic though and that kind of sours it. But it's worth reading if you want some TCW closure. Read the short story Kindred Spirits before it as well. Also, interestingly, Son of Dathomir takes place halfway through, but it doesn't seem like it because they excised Vos' scenes from the scripts that would've been in SoD to fit it into 4 issues. Would've made an interesting arc if it had been completed.

The Twitter impressions hyped me more, but I'm staying out of the other thread now as I don't want to spoil the supposed twists before seeing it on Thursday.

Guess I'll get the Catalyst audiobook to tide me over.

Ridisc

Banned
Knew it would happen but the common sentiment that Rogue one is better than TFA is out there, I hope that its genuine and not the start of a "Well TFA actually sucked" trend.

How come there is only a spoilers thread and not a regular thread to discuss the movie?

There'll be a review thread in a couple of days where most of the non-spoiler discussion will go and then when the film's out, most people use the spoiler thread. I can see why Quick did it.

-

Finished Catalyst this afternoon. Definitely one of the most enjoyable novels since the canon reset. Really looking forward to those opening scenes with the Ersos' and Krennic now.

Rootbeer

Banned
Kevin Smith likes nearly everything. He's one of those "burn no bridges" kind of people, which is smart.

But there's a lot more voices than Kevin's giving early praise to RO so I'm very optimistic.

Toa TAK

Banned
How come there is only a spoilers thread and not a regular thread to discuss the movie?
'Cause the non-spoiler thread will have its use for a day or 2 then everyone will just go to the spoiler thread anyways. Then both the OT and Spoiler Thread are just treading the same ground having the same discussions in both threads. The prime example being the Force Awakens. It's to cut the clutter so-to-speak, and that's already including the review thread which will likely chug along as well.

It's Star Wars, people are gonna want to have a full-on discussion when it hits Thursday and trying to tip-toe though spoiler tags in an OT isn't 100%, anyways (as someone who's spoiled and been spoiled lol).

If people really want to have an additional OT, that's fine I guess, but the logic is lost on me as it's use is pretty much expired the moment the movie is out. And it's not just Star Wars, I don't expect something like Assassin's Creed to have two threads since it's not as hyped here and those who will discuss it will probably dive deep anyways.

Anywho, that's my two cents on it.

EDIT: Also, a "spoiler thread" isn't just for spoilers like "Darth Vader is Luke's dad" and then the corresponding reactions to it in isolation. It's going to encompass the film as a whole and gives way to a bigger and more analytical discussion.

Quick

Banned
I liked Toa's idea and executed on it. He's done it a couple of his OTs as well.

I just wanted to encourage an open discussion in the thread without people having to worry about spoiler tags, which people either tend to avoid reading. With respect to members living in China (movie comes out in January there), Rogue One also has a really tight release schedule, so it would be available in most regions by Friday.

Lessons learned for future OTs I make, but I really like Toa's idea.

Surfinn

'Cause the non-spoiler thread will have its use for a day or 2 then everyone will just go to the spoiler thread anyways. Then both the OT and Spoiler Thread are just treading the same ground having the same discussions in both threads. The prime example being the Force Awakens. It's to cut the clutter so-to-speak, and that's already including the review thread which will likely chug along as well.

It's Star Wars, people are gonna want to have a full-on discussion when it hits Thursday and trying to tip-toe though spoiler tags in an OT isn't 100%, anyways (as someone who's spoiled and been spoiled lol).

If people really want to have an additional OT, that's fine I guess, but the logic is lost on me as it's use is pretty much expired the moment the movie is out. And it's not just Star Wars, I don't expect something like Assassin's Creed to have two threads since it's not as hyped here and those who will discuss it will probably dive deep anyways.

Anywho, that's my two cents on it.

EDIT: Also, a "spoiler thread" isn't just for spoilers like "Darth Vader is Luke's dad" and then the corresponding reactions to it in isolation. It's going to encompass the film as a whole and gives way to a bigger and more analytical discussion.
That's not true, though. Last year there were a bunch of people who couldn't see the film for weeks and sometimes months. Not everyone jumps straight into spoilers on day one or even two simply because not everyone can see it that soon. Luckily now there is somewhat of a safe haven in the other thread with tagged spoilers. The entire point of having two separate threads is so people don't go into the film spoiled if they don't want to be and still have a place to hype and discuss without having to worry about having their experience ruined (that's the idea, anyway). Even if the majority see it on the 15th, isn't having another thread worth it to keep people from going in spoiled? I think so.

So it's worth having the extra thread to help preserve that experience.

If anything maybe the threads can be merged once people are done seeing the movie and there's no more use/when the non spoiler thread dies.

kevin1025

Banned
There'll be a review thread in a couple of days where most of the non-spoiler discussion will go and then when the film's out, most people use the spoiler thread. I can see why Quick did it.

-

Finished Catalyst this afternoon. Definitely one of the most enjoyable novels since the canon reset. Really looking forward to those opening scenes with the Ersos' and Krennic now.

I'm a third of the way through Catalyst, I'm hoping to read a massive chunk of it today. I'm always a fan of reading/watching characters that manipulate circumstances and people, so that being what looks like the backbone of the book is making me super happy. Krennic looks to be a great villain.

I'm a third of the way through Catalyst, I'm hoping to read a massive chunk of it today. I'm always a fan of reading/watching characters that manipulate circumstances and people, so that being what looks like the backbone of the book is making me super happy. Krennic looks to be a great villain.

He gets more manipulative and cruel as the book goes on. From what what we've seen of Rogue One, it looks like the trend continued.

Catalyst was a lot of fun, what novel should I read next? So far I've read:

Tarkin
Lost Stars
Lords of the Sith
Catalyst

I'm in full R1 hype mode, so I wanna keep reading.

Top Bottom