• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

sphagnum

Banned
Catalyst was a lot of fun, what novel should I read next? So far I've read:

Tarkin
Lost Stars
Lords of the Sith
Catalyst

I'm in full R1 hype mode, so I wanna keep reading.

If you want something in the Rogue One era, the Servants of the Empire series, no joke. If you want something tonally similar to Rogue One, Twilight Company.

sphagnum

Banned
Interesting tidbit about George's version of Episode VII.

Y3wcAs9.jpg

Catalyst was a lot of fun, what novel should I read next? So far I've read:

Tarkin
Lost Stars
Lords of the Sith
Catalyst

I'm in full R1 hype mode, so I wanna keep reading.
Know your already going with the other suggested book, which is great because Claudia Gray has been a great addition to the writers

If you finish that and are looking for something a little more "Jedi" or force inspired, I highly suggest Darth Bane book 1 path of destruction, it's my favorite SW book.

Also Life Debt is really good despite the Aftermath series starting out a little low. Wendig's writing style isn't for everyone so maybe find an excerpt

Know your already going with the other suggested book, which is great because Claudia Gray has been a great addition to the writers

If you finish that and are looking for something a little more "Jedi" or force inspired, I highly suggest Darth Bane book 1 path of destruction, it's my favorite SW book.

Also Life Debt is really good despite the Aftermath series starting out a little low. Wendig's writing style isn't for everyone so maybe find an excerpt

Cheers, a mate of mine has all the Bane books so I'll borrow them after. Thanks!

Is it just me or have the new Star Wars books gotten better?

Hope so. I bailed after the Vader/Palpy team up book after having only liked Tarkin from the new stuff. Tried the first Aftermath book but it was abysmal. Ordered Catalyst today to have something to read while waiting in line for Rogue One.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hope so. I bailed after the Vader/Palpy team up book after having only liked Tarkin from the new stuff. Tried the first Aftermath book but it was abysmal. Ordered Catalyst today to have something to read while waiting in line for Rogue One.

Haloid pls

Lines are what 3DSes and Vitas are for

Haloid pls

Lines are what 3DSes and Vitas are for

Dan pls I have nothing to play on 3DS and lol Vita. Plus I can already feel I'm about to go down the Star Wars rabbit hole again like I did for VII and actually read this shit instead of just keep up with Wookieepedia summaries to know what's up.

Seigyoku

So yesterday I was at a mall (I know), and went into a bookstore there (yes some malls still have bookstores) and while wandering around their Star Wars section (I wish every store had this, would make finding kids' books easier), there they were. Rogue One Ultimate Visual Guide and the Art of. Many copies. Just there on the shelf.

No, I didn't buy them (I WANTED TO), because I only have so much self control and would never have made it to Thursday night w/o reading the Guide. AND I would have to lug it up to NYC anyway. (Instead of what we will do, which is buy the books in NYC and lug them back, eh heh heh.)

I did peek. Only so much self control remember? So technically I did spoil myself for the appearance of a character, but the trailers had made me think said character was there anyway. And I kinda confirmed some stuff about Jyn, buuuuuuuut I'm not the only one who had guessed that either.

*whistles innocently*

So yesterday I was at a mall (I know), and went into a bookstore there (yes some malls still have bookstores) and while wandering around their Star Wars section (I wish every store had this, would make finding kids' books easier), there they were. Rogue One Ultimate Visual Guide and the Art of. Many copies. Just there on the shelf.

No, I didn't buy them (I WANTED TO), because I only have so much self control and would never have made it to Thursday night w/o reading the Guide. AND I would have to lug it up to NYC anyway. (Instead of what we will do, which is buy the books in NYC and lug them back, eh heh heh.)

I did peek. Only so much self control remember? So technically I did spoil myself for the appearance of a character, but the trailers had made me think said character was there anyway. And I kinda confirmed some stuff about Jyn, buuuuuuuut I'm not the only one who had guessed that either.

*whistles innocently*

You're a monster.

My daily shill for Alexander Freed's Battlefront: Twilight Company. It's the best of the new canon IMO. Yes, a game tie-in novel. Freed has an amazing ability to get into squad-level hope and despair and it really puts an amazing face on the Rebellion from the trenches.

kevin1025

Banned

Maybe it's just me then.

Definitely not only you! I had a great time with Lost Stars, really liked Lords of the Sith, I never did get around to finishing Aftermath (though I will), and I'm halfway through Bloodline and Catalyst (jumped into Catalyst so I could finish before Rogue One), and really having a great time with those, as well. I haven't read any Star Wars books since the late 90's, early 2000's when I read tons and tons of them, but they are certainly back at their height!

*whistles innocently*

Well now I'm just insanely curious!

My daily shill for Alexander Freed's Battlefront: Twilight Company. It's the best of the new canon IMO. Yes, a game tie-in novel. Freed has an amazing ability to get into squad-level hope and despair and it really puts an amazing face on the Rebellion from the trenches.

I really need to get to that one. So many things to read :(

Thinking about picking this up too once I finish Catalyst. Trooper books were always my fave in the old EU.

*whistles innocently*

Blocked and Reported.

I am jealous. I probably would have caved.

I'm always down for more readin', but I have to ask: What other novels have you read recently and enjoyed? Book recommendations can be really difficult to gauge without knowing more about the source's preferences.

I'm always down for more readin', but I have to ask: What other novels have you read recently and enjoyed? Book recommendations can be really difficult to gauge without knowing more about the source's preferences.

Let's see - I did read Catalyst and enjoyed it, although some parts in the first 1/3 of the book felt like Wikipedia entries. Also, Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy. William Gibson's The Peripheral. A re-read of some of Roger Zelazny's Amber books.

I haven't read Tarkin or Heir to the Jedi, but in general yes they have been much better.

Aftermath - Was all over the place, and you don't really get a great idea about the characters it does introduce us to two of the better characters of the new canon. Jazz and Mr. bones, especially in audiobook form are particularly great. The 2nd book on the other hand is a damn good book

Battlefront - liked it at the time but in the year since I read it I couldn't tell you anything other then the main plot points

Lost Stars - is the book everyone should read. By far the best book in the new canon that doesn't rely on the staple of old characters but establishes an entire cast of great new characters. Listened through this book from start to finish 4 times and will start my 5th probably in the drought of new released next year. My 2nd favorite Star Wars book to date.

Finishing Catalysts this week, about 4 hours left. Preordered the Rogue One novel on audible so will start that Friday. Will probably start Tarkin after that

I think the establishing new characters is what making this new canon interesting to me. Look at Aphra. She was a supporting character in the Darth Vader comics and now she has her own book now.

Let's see - I did read Catalyst and enjoyed it, although some parts in the first 1/3 of the book felt like Wikipedia entries. Also, Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy. William Gibson's The Peripheral. A re-read of some of Roger Zelazny's Amber books.

Merci. I picked it up yesterday and read through the 1st few chapters. If the quality holds, I'd rank it as the best Star Wars novel from 2015 (I read Tarkin, Aftermath and Lost Stars).

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I wonder how many of the positive reviews are affected by the apparently mind blowing ending, makes me wonder how repeat viewings without the surprise factor will go.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
How many reviewers submit after a repeat viewing though? They're busy. Gotta go one and done.

Im just thinking more long term view of the film, I find it especially jarring that most people are commenting on a very slow middle then saying the end pays off explosively, but still there is a lack of character development, implying the ending is kind of a surprise and or bombastic, which are not things that tend to last beyong the initial viewing.

More buoyed by the fact that its a film SW fans will love.

How has Apple not released an update to their screen saver that replaces that moon shot with a Death Star? Every time it rolls by, I want it to be so.

Boke1879

What's wrong with an 84? That and the average rating is actually really good.

IMO there is little difference between an 80 and a 90 when it comes to this stuff.

Top Bottom