• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Surfinn

What's wrong with an 84? That and the average rating is actually really good.

IMO there is little difference between an 80 and a 90 when it comes to this stuff.

I agree. I've seen a handful of 90+ films that straight up sucked, IMO. And 50-60 films that I felt were great.

RT scores don't really interest me, but I was hoping the reaction would be positive. I like what I've read/watched so far, especially regarding the third act.

Surfinn

RT scores don't really interest me, but I was hoping the reaction would be positive. I like what I've read/watched so far, especially regarding the third act.

Yup, the consensus is what I wanted to see. Though I won't lie and say I wasn't interested in the percentage, just because I love seeing that kind of stuff, even if it's relatively meaningless.

And the consensus is that it's good. I'm happy with that. Can't fucking wait for Thursday.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Dont tell me anything, but I hope the third act is one big skirmish in space and on land.

And I am still hopefull for my digital Tarkin :3

Started trying to read the Vader comic this week cause I'm in full Star Wars mode right now. I made it farther than I did last time, but Vader still seems to chatty to me through the first five issues. Gonna make it through Vader Down before dropping this again but fuck I really wish one of these Marvel comics would grab me.

kevin1025

Banned
I bailed out of any tidbits and reviews once the initial premiere impressions started getting a little more in detail. I'll just trudge along through the remainder of Catalyst and watch TV shows until Thursday...

...and then some jerk in a seat nearby will probably blab something before the movie starts :(

What's wrong with an 84? That and the average rating is actually really good.

IMO there is little difference between an 80 and a 90 when it comes to this stuff.

Nothing wrong with a rating in the 80s. The only thing that might even cause worry in some is that generally ratings tend to be fairly high before the film is even released. After release it usually ends up dropping for blockbusters.

Started trying to read the Vader comic this week cause I'm in full Star Wars mode right now. I made it farther than I did last time, but Vader still seems to chatty to me through the first five issues. Gonna make it through Vader Down before dropping this again but fuck I really wish one of these Marvel comics would grab me.
Vader Down's my least favourite part of the run, but I found it picked up again with the Shu-Torun war and finished strongly.

Vader Down's my least favourite part of the run, but I found it picked up again with the Shu-Torun war and finished strongly.

I enjoy seeing Vader being a badass, but the actual character seems strange to me in the portrayal. Will continue reading for now, but I wish they'd do a series of EU books like the old EU did. That was the stuff that grabbed me, the one off nature of the current books isn't doing it and I don't find the comics set during the time period I'm well acquainted with to be that interesting.

I enjoy seeing Vader being a badass, but the actual character seems strange to me in the portrayal. Will continue reading for now, but I wish they'd do a series of EU books like the old EU did. That was the stuff that grabbed me, the one off nature of the current books isn't doing it and I don't find the comics set during the time period I'm well acquainted with to be that interesting.
They'll get to them. Aphra's series shows they're wiling to take more risks now.

ShaneB

Any sort of hidden gem Star Wars docs on youtube or will I just watch Empire of Dreams for the umpteenth time? Watched Elstree 1976 the other day on Netflix, not bad.

Zombine

Banned
Just finished Catalyst, and I can honestly say that this is the first time I've read a Star Wars book that feels critical to the enjoyment of a film.

kevin1025

Banned
Any sort of hidden gem Star Wars docs on youtube or will I just watch Empire of Dreams for the umpteenth time? Watched Elstree 1976 the other day on Netflix, not bad.

I could watch Star Wars: The Beginning (Making Episode I) infinite times. That one is fascinating. For all of their faults, all of the prequel docs are incredible. Not sure if they're all on Youtube, though!

shingi70

Banned
I finished the servants of the empire seris last week, I'm hoping a sequel series is announced because I would love to see more Zaire. A bit surprised
that he didn't stay a double agent in the empire at the end.

Out of the released canon books I havent read

Catalyst
Ashoka
Moving Target
Life debt
Before the awakening
Smugglers run

I think I going to tackle Catalyst next and finish it in time for next week.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

I read my Vader Down trade paperback the other day and I thought it was kinda awful. Not much of a plot, things people do don't make sense, the quality takes a severe dip every time the Vader team takes over for an issue ... it's a damn mess. I was disappointed.

Great reviews.

The reviews complaining about dialogue and the acting should calm those down who are afraid that Disney is interfering with the movie making process.

Those negatives are 100% Gareth Edwards traits.

One of the odd things about RT %'s I never noticed until just yesterday:

Dr. Strange sits at something like 91% RT, but the average rating is 7.3/10.
Rogue One is at 85%, and its average rating is 7.6/10.

Anth0ny

One of the odd things about RT %'s I never noticed until just yesterday:

Dr. Strange sits at something like 91% RT, but the average rating is 7.3/10.
Rogue One is at 85%, and its average rating is 7.6/10.

most people don't even realize that

the RT% is just "% of critics who think the movie is good". it's really that broad. whether a critic gives a movie a 10/10 or a 7/10 doesn't make a difference, it's certified "fresh" and that adds to the RT%.

the average rating actually goes a little more in depth, looking at the scores those critics gave the film and trying to assign an actual rating out of 10 based on that.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sat in the theater, less than 15 mins until the movie gets going. Pretty hyped guys, trying to pass the minutes.

Goddamn, I can't wait. I just finished Catalyst today. I have reserved seating tickets for tomorrow night at 10:30 for myself and four friends in hand, best seats in the room at the best high tech theater around. I have some really nice expensive bourbon I'm going to bring in with a flask and a glass. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but wishing I could listen to the soundtrack.

And now I'm just doodling at my desk at work.

gS8PESN.jpg

I'd kill someone for one of these great imax rogue one posters...

Apparently we're getting these staggeringly inferior ones:

lg-rogue-one-xd-poster.jpg

Surfinn

Goddamn, I can't wait. I just finished Catalyst today. I have reserved seating tickets for tomorrow night at 10:30 for myself and four friends in hand, best seats in the room at the best high tech theater around. I have some really nice expensive bourbon I'm going to bring in with a flask and a glass. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but wishing I could listen to the soundtrack.

And now I'm just doodling at my desk at work.

gS8PESN.jpg

Not bad, not bad.

Can't wait till tomorrow.. should probably buy tickets. Already got some at IMAX for Friday but I do wanna go to the premiere.

Tickets for Saturday at our new Imax like theater THE XSCAPE, 2d showing for the wife and me.

My daughter turns 1 on the 29th, so probably won't be able to take her to any of the current saga films or spinoffs but the post 2021 lineup is going to be awesome

Yeah America getting star wars films last is still really odd to me

Well maybe not last, but after Europe. I think there needs to be a galactic tea party.

The first order is slipping, no way the Empire would have stood for this shit

7:15pm EST tomorrow in Virginia, USA.

Couldn't get into the 7pm Alamo Drafthouse showing, so, doing a mall theater. At least it has comfy reserved seats. Alamo on Sunday morning w/ my family.

On that note, watching IV for the millionth time (Despecialized) due to folks saying to watch it before Rogue One and never noticed Vader putting his hands on his hips in the opening scene like "Oh jeez, this is a mess....."

Quick

Banned
Yeah America getting star wars films last is still really odd to me

Well maybe not last, but after Europe. I think there needs to be a galactic tea party.

The first order is slipping, no way the Empire would have stood for this shit

It's a really tight release schedule. Europe and Asian territories get it today and tomorrow, then NA gets it tomorrow and Friday, then China in January.

Top Bottom