• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

kevin1025

Banned
Yeah! Star Wars!

6HEtk1s.jpg

Spamification1

Neo Member
Go watch the movie so you don't get spoiled but read it then go see it again.

Yeah, this was pretty much was I was planning on doing. Watching it as soon as I can to avoid being spoiled, but if Catalyst adds extra context/depth to parts of the movie I might see it a second time after reading it.

Zombine

Banned
Would you recommend reading it before or after watching the movie? I have it sitting on my bookshelf but would rather wait until after I've seen the movie.

I read the book in three evenings. It's a real page turner. I read on the slower side so I could easily see someone dedicating a few hours to Catalyst and reading all 320 pages. I would recommend reading it prior to watching it.

Before. It gives weight to so many scenes.

YES!

Just got back, oh my god that was fantastic. So many little details and surprises. And it felt... Realistic. Like, it was a realistic take on Star Wars. So many chills, too. I want to see it again to soak up more as soon as I can.

EDIT: and yes, read Catalyst first if possible.

It wasn't a perfect movie, but it felt like the mass effect 2 of starwars. It's this grounded reality in a world that is larger than life, and it just worked for me.
My only beef is the cg actors, civil war pulled that trick once and it worked. But by the time we got to leia I could see the flaws and it took me out of the movie.

So I rewatched Sith last night for the first time in several years. No real connection to Rogue One releasing today (though it was sort of nice to watch the film predecessor), just kind of felt like it for the hell of it. Borrowed the Bluray from a friend since I still only have the 4:3 DVDs (been waiting on a Bluray release of the theatrical cuts to buy a complete set, or even more ideally a collection including every cut).

Man, I have to give Ewan even more credit than I always have. Like holy shit, the level of effort he puts in above everyone else is astounding. Even the worst lines he manages to climb over better than anyone else ever could. And considering George's approach to directing actors it's even more impressive. Ewan's casting is far and away the best thing Lucas did with the PT. I need that trilogy-bridging Obi-Wan movie like yesterday.
throw in Liam Neeson and every single flaw in the PT will be so worth it

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
For anyone that's seen R1 already,

Does Vader sound more the way he was in the OT, or is it whatever James Earl Jones did in Rebels? This'll pretty much confirm to me that it's more to do with his age at this point.

Does Vader sound more the way he was in the OT, or is it whatever James Earl Jones did in Rebels? This'll pretty much confirm to me that it's more to do with his age at this point.

In between, veering more towards the OT.

I mean, he's 85, so at that point age was always going to play a factor in his voice. But honestly I think it's solid. There are people that will say otherwise, but I think most diehard fans are going to be hyper-tuned into every word, even if they're not trying to, and I think that perhaps they might mentally exaggerate the disparity.

For what it's worth, I honestly feel he sounds a lot better than he did in Revenge of the Sith (which as I said above, I just rewatched last night). Dumb "nooo" aside, he felt a little more "off" there.

Said it in the Rebels thread but its so freaking stupid the show takes a huge break right when the movies come out.

? I dunno, seems like a decent place to put a break to me. Most shows go on break right about now anyway, so having a movie in between just puts it ahead of everyone else as far I'm concerned.

Toa TAK

Banned

Dude sounded more like his Rebels acting. Having just watched IV beforehand there's a huge difference, but it's still him and he's still majestic.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I was watching Star Wars in german but I was pleasent surprised with Vaders voice acting.
Everytime I heard him after ROTS it felt somehow off, not right and different, so I was very afraid for this, but he sounded perfect. They didnt just took his Rebels Voice-Changer-Setting, they really wanted to capture the movies with this.

Non-Vader-Spoiler:
Leia felt off. Who did her VA in the english version? Over here they just took her usuall VA, so she sounded like 55.

Picked up the RO Ultimate Visual Guide today for only $15 using coupons and promo deals. Only read a few things but it's much thicker than the TFA one.

Leia's Rebels
VA was pretty good.

They didn't use her?

C'mon man. Give it a week or so in here at least until we start using unmarked spoilers.

My soundtrack came today. Giacchino did an alternate pun filled tracklist that's in the booklet.

1. A Krennic Condition
2. Jyn and Scare It
3. Jyncarcerated
4. Going To See Saw
5. That New Death Star Smell
6. Jedha Call Saw
7. When Ambush Comes To Shove
8. Erso Facto
9. Go Do, That Eadu, That You Do, So Well
10. Have a Choke and a Smile
11. Erso in Vain
12. Takes One To Rogue One
13. World's Worst Vacation Destination
14. Scarif Tactics
15. Bazed and Confused
16. Switch Hunt
17. Transmission Impossible
18. Live and Let Jedi

Sayers

You know some of us won't have a chance to see this movie until the Christmas holidays. Can we hold off on unmarked spoilers for a little while please?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Can we at least get a title, I want something to discuss

Ugh, I hate the official threads for movies because there is always the people that must make it known on seemingly every page that they didn't like it and have their copy and paste list of reasons why they didn't like it. I can't put the blame solely on them because then you have people who can't resist feeding into it by calling them out. The never ending cycle of pointless back in forth with no resolve. People trying to convince the opposing side that their POV is the right way of looking at things when most people have their own thoughts and feelings and are not going to deviate from those. Damn, just reading what I just typed made me think, "what the fuck you doing on a discussion board?"

When it comes to Star Wars, with books, comics, TV shows and movies. Everything is an experience to me. Everything is an addition. Most are good, few are boring. All an experience that adds to a universe that will always be the best fictional universe created.

Rogue One and Catalyst showed how connected the Universe is, how great it is. It showed that filling holes in this universe can be every bit as enertaining as advancing the stories of your Skywalkers and your Solos. I applaud the story team not just for this movie but the whole universe. They are the gods and caretakers of something that's so many care about and I really feel they do the best job they can. I don't think anyone is trying to just take out money, I think they are trying to make something that the vast majority of people will enjoy. If they start putting out really crappy products then it will be time to complain but Rogue One really went for it.

Anth0ny

Ugh, I hate the official threads for movies because there is always the people that must make it known on seemingly every page that they didn't like it and have their copy and paste list of reasons why they didn't like it. I can't put the blame solely on them because then you have people who can't resist feeding into it by calling them out. The never ending cycle of pointless back in forth with no resolve. People trying to convince the opposing side that their POV is the right way of looking at things when most people have their own thoughts and feelings and are not going to deviate from those. Damn, just reading what I just typed made me think, "what the fuck you doing on a discussion board?"

When it comes to Star Wars, with books, comics, TV shows and movies. Everything is an experience to me. Everything is an addition. Most are good, few are boring. All an experience that adds to a universe that will always be the best fictional universe created.

Rogue One and Catalyst showed how connected the Universe is, how great it is. It showed that filling holes in this universe can be every bit as enertaining as advancing the stories of your Skywalkers and your Solos. I applaud the story team not just for this movie but the whole universe. They are the gods and caretakers of something that's so many care about and I really feel they do the best job they can. I don't think anyone is trying to just take out money, I think they are trying to make something that the vast majority of people will enjoy. If they start putting out really crappy products then it will be time to complain but Rogue One really went for it.

unfortunately, it's the case for every major movie or game on GAF. this forum is big enough that you can't really have any kind of discussion in official threads when the hype is hot... they move way too fast.

that's why community threads are so key!

Zombine

Banned
^I actively avoid those threads for a reason. They are entitled to their opinion for sure, but there is a personal dislike for something, and then there is trying to make sure that those of us who do like whatever it is that our opinion is somehow of lesser value than theirs.

Live in a bubble like I do, and talk about what you like with people that feel similarly. I thought Rogue One was phenomenal, and I'm not inclined to let some curmudgeon ruin my satisfaction.

Hagi

Great post.

I've got to say and it kinda pains me to but after Rogue One my interest in the Han Solo film has waned, not because the former was bad but quite the opposite. I've seen what we can achieve now outside of the main saga with brand new characters and I'd love to see them continue down that path. If Rogue One is only followed up projects set around existing characters like Han, Fett and Obi-Wan, I'll honestly be disappointed. It feels ridiculous that we are even at this juncture but as fans we are blessed to say the least.

Zombine

Banned
I want a story about the Bothans! Rogue Two!

My only real minor nitpick is that
almost all of Krennick's motivations and character development is in Catalyst. Him being on Scarif at the end getting blown up by Tarkin also has wayyyyyy more weight when you read the book.

I can see certain significant moments meaning less to people that didn't read the book.

Tarkin won.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I have yet to have a conversation with someone who thinks TFA is a rehash that hasnt ended in "Well you are right but its just how I feel" when I show them how its not.

Which is fine, but stop bringing piss to a shit fight and arguing your case when I can debunk your evidence very easily.

I got no issue with people disliking TFA or saying it was too close to ANH, none, thats their perogative, but dont expect not to be challenged when you tell me things that are wrong.

Hagi

I want a story about the Bothans! Rogue Two!

My only real minor nitpick is that
almost all of Krennick's motivations and character development is in Catalyst. Him being on Scarif at the end getting blown up by Tarkin also has wayyyyyy more weight when you read the book.

I can see certain significant moments meaning less to people that didn't read the book.

Tarkin won.

I haven't read the book yet. I should probably read the book.

I'd really like a film based around the Empires side. Give me the Star Wars version of Das Boot.

I have yet to have a conversation with someone who thinks TFA is a rehash that hasnt ended in "Well you are right but its just how I feel" when I show them how its not.

Which is fine, but stop bringing piss to a shit fight and arguing your case when I can debunk your evidence very easily.

I got no issue with people disliking TFA or saying it was too close to ANH, none, thats their perogative, but dont expect not to be challenged when you tell me things that are wrong.

Those people probably havnt faced the existential crisis that is life. Human behavior consist of loops and patterns that repeat themselves over and over.

It's pretty funny that a lot of posters who liked TFA aren't too fond of Rogue One and the people that hated TFA seem to like it.
And here I am, loving both and acknowledging they each have their flaws and strengths. *shrug*

I get the divide though, since both movies speak to different parts of the franchise, both callback to the originals differently, and both have very different styles. So there was always going to be a divide. But then fanboys tend to turn any divide into a goddamn canyon and everything is either perfection or a dumpster fire.

Top Bottom