• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I was floored how much I loved this.

I'll fully admit it wasn't a perfect movies but fuck it was the best cinema experience for me that I've had since Jurassic Park in the early 90s.

I liked TFA, but man I loved this on a different level.

Also while many in the main OT for the movie felt differently than me I really felt the weight of the world and felt for the whole cast of rebels by the end of the movie.

I have to rethink my Star Wars ordering. Best to yikes:

ESB
RO/TFA
ANH/ROTJ
ROTS
TPM/AOTC

RO might move up. It was exactly the movie I'd hoped it would be.

I was floored how much I loved this.

I'll fully admit it wasn't a perfect movies but fuck it was the best cinema experience for me that I've had since Jurassic Park in the early 90s.

I liked TFA, but man I loved this on a different level.

Also while many in the main OT for the movie felt differently than me I really felt the weight of the world and felt for the whole cast of rebels by the end of the movie.

I'm way more attached to Cassien, Jyn, and K2 than I was to Finn, Rey, or Poe after my first three viewings of TFA.

Quick

Banned
If I'd made this thread in Off Topic it would have been moved to Community anyway, so I thought I'd just post it here myself.

Almost every community post their threads in Community by default, so it's not like you did anything different Wadium.

At first I thought the other thread was some extension to talk about something specific, but nope, exactly this thread basically.

Edit: Not sure if the thread maker did it on purpose, but he/she totally ignored your post.

ghostmind

Yeah, i also originally thought the other thread was going to be for something else, but it is basically this thread.

I'll be sticking to this thread going forward. Thanks Wadium.

kevin1025

Banned
Yeah, i also originally thought the other thread was going to be for something else, but it is basically this thread.

I'll be sticking to this thread going forward. Thanks Wadium.

Yeah, I choose this thread! I'm a newcomer in terms of posting but I always enjoyed reading the posts in here, so I'll do my best to contribute!

Wanderer5

*Switches subs* Guess why not if it pretty much the same thread.:p

Vader-Merry-Sithmas-Pin.jpg

Got this pin from a recent disneyland trip. Probably will wear it when I see Rogue One.XD

Machete thread order

Actually never seen the other thread as I'm almost always on mobile and going to saved pages from the OT section because generally speaking I don't care a lot about OT threads. Gaming side is the only place I load the actual forum list here

My second time seeing rogue one today, this time on a 70 ft screen with Dolby atmos in 2d. What an amazing theater. Liked it even better then the first time, and the parts I didn't like before seemed almost irrelevant to me now. Maybe because my 1st showing we ended up the the front row, side corner in a small theater, my least favorite spot in a theater to see a movie.

I like this movie for much different reasons the the force awakens, but I still think I like this overall more. The characters are a lot more interesting and the set pieces are next level shit, especially jedah and scarif. It's not that seeing a down star destroyer covered in sand or the winter forest getting destroyed in a light saber battle. But seeing the Jedi temple and statue ruins and the beach combat zone makes everything in force awakens seem like an antiqued style of film making. This from a fan who cares way more about light sabers, Jedi and sith etc then I do the rebel alliance

Overall this is the prequel I wanted and envisioned when Ben is talking being in the clone wars with anakin

Honestly I'm just glad that we finally have somewhere to talk about Star Wars.

True, the main reason I made this thread was because loads of people were asking for a place to talk Star Wars in the build up to TFA. It was a good idea.

Did anyone in here even know that Canon Thread was gonna happen?

Nah, I'm guessing the thread maker didn't know this one existed. It is hidden away a bit admittedly.

Zombine

Banned
True, the main reason I made this thread was because loads of people were asking for a place to talk Star Wars in the build up to TFA. It was a good idea.

I was making a joke about the Canon OT :(

Rogue One spoilers but not really, don't click on this if you haven't seen it:

I watched A New Hope last night, and after watching Rogue One it felt like a new movie. So much amazing context and I got goosebumps during the opening scene. Something which hasn't happened since I saw it the first time as a child.

I was making a joke about the Canon OT :(

Haha, sorry man. Flew right over my head

-

I've been catching up with a few comics I've been behind on. That first issue of Aphra is so good. Really looking forward to where Gillen's going to take this series. I thought a solo series was a good idea and the first issue definitely sets things up nicely. The intro was especially good.

sphagnum

Banned
No, what proper question is what's the point of the new thread when we already have a Star Wars OT.

I would assume the other thread is to introduce people to the new canon specifically while we can also talk about Legends in here.

Malyse probably didn't know this thread existed anyway.

curb

Banned
I would assume the other thread is to introduce people to the new canon specifically while we can also talk about Legends in here.

Malyse probably didn't known this thread existed anyway.

Probably not. There's not a lot of old EU talk that goes on in this thread though so one of these thread's is likely redundant.

I've been listening to track 18
("Hope")
on the Rogue One soundtrack a lot since Friday mostly due to the scene it's from. Highlight of the score for me. Reminds me a bit of
the final confrontation in Revenge of the Sith
and I love how it leads right into
themes from A New Hope
. I'm looking forward to putting the score on while I'm at work tomorrow.

Anybody know how many Star Wars comics are now on Marvel Unlimited?

I have codes written down for like 6 months of MU that I have yet to use because I was just waiting for more Star Wars to be put up. Kinda want to read all of Vader Down and most of the relaunch runs, if they're all up now.

And even though I've only posted in here a handful of times, I thought the canon thread in OT is redundant and useless. I really, really doubt the OP of that even looked to see if there was a Star Wars OT. The fact that he is now ignoring criticisms in that thread is just dumb.

Anybody know how many Star Wars comics are now on Marvel Unlimited?

I have codes written down for like 6 months of MU that I have yet to use because I was just waiting for more Star Wars to be put up. Kinda want to read all of Vader Down and most of the relaunch runs, if they're all up now.

And even though I've only posted in here a handful of times, I thought the canon thread in OT is redundant and useless. I really, really doubt the OP of that even looked to see if there was a Star Wars OT. The fact that he is now ignoring criticisms in that thread is just dumb.

I doubt the entirety of Vader's on MU yet. The final issue only came out in October. It's usually a six month wait isn't it?

sphagnum

Banned
In the Hollywood Reporter roundtable interview (has its own thread on the other side), Glover says this about Lando:

GLOVER I remember Lando really well. He was like the only black guy in space. And he was the cool one. I just realized, he still has to be cool. And cool is an interesting thing. It changes -

FAVREAU Yes, of course.

GLOVER I was watching Black Mirror, and there's an episode where they go through time and in the '50s, there's a nerd, and by the time he gets to the 2000s, he's just a hipster. He's not a nerd anymore. Cool changes depending on the perspective. Also, it's fun because [the Han Solo movie is set] before [Empire Strikes Back], so he's still figuring it out a little bit, which is fun.

This gives me the impression that Lando may not be as smooth yet as we're familiar with.

cntr

Banned
Went to watch Rogue One, but the theater I went somehow managed to make a "3D" screen so bad that it made me ill enough to make me have to leave in the middle :/ didn't help that I was already tired. it was really weird.

guess I'll catch the movie when it gets a home release

Quick

Banned
Went to watch Rogue One, but the theater I went somehow managed to make a "3D" screen so bad that it made me ill enough to make me have to leave in the middle :/ didn't help that I was already tired. it was really weird.

guess I'll catch the movie when it gets a home release

I haven't had this problem in a while (and very rarely does it actually happen), but I've been in 3D screenings where the screen was out of focus and it messes with the 3D a bit. Was that the issue for you?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think we get another Collectors Edition like we did with TFA?
There is a 3D Edition Day One now...

well, who knows but honestly imho they only made the CE b/c of 3D..but I wonder, with all the re-shots for this movie...will we get an extended edition? a more fleshed out first part of the movie? maybe this as a CE this time?

also proff have you seen this sexy beast? https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01D4QFZD8/ 40centimeters, led lights, not painting.

Zombine

Banned
well, who knows but honestly imho they only made the CE b/c of 3D..but I wonder, with all the re-shots for this movie...will we get an extended edition? a more fleshed out first part of the movie? maybe this as a CE this time?

also proff have you seen this sexy beast? https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01D4QFZD8/ 40centimeters, led lights, not painting.

I highly doubt we will get an extended cut of the film. Disney has been treating the Lucasfilm/Marvel movies as concise 2 hour packages with one definitive version outside of resolution and 3D.

I am a sucker for extended cuts, so this bums me out a bit. I guess If they release an extended version there would be a debate over what is and is not canon.

Edit: also, Catalyst is the extended edition.

I highly doubt we will get an extended cut of the film. Disney has been treating the Lucasfilm/Marvel movies as concise 2 hour packages with one definitive version outside of resolution and 3D.

I am a sucker for extended cuts, so this bums me out a bit. I guess If they release an extended version there would be a debate over what is and is not canon.

Catalyst has been a drag halfway through but I'm just getting to Empire stuff so I'm hoping it picks up considerably.

curb

Banned
I didn't. lol. I just looked it up so I'll know where to look the next time I see it.

I didn't see him either but looked it up too. I found I was too busy looking for Chop during those scenes that I wasn't paying attention to the foreground. I'll catch all those details once the blu-ray is out.

"Disney"

In both cases Marvel and Lucasfilm could do what they want, and at least in Lucasfilm's case it might be at least partly up to the director methinks (and I'm pretty sure Joss could have done extended Avengers cuts if he really, really wanted). And Disney has only put out two Lucasfilm movies anyway, one days old, so it's kind of hard to ascribe trends. That said, I doubt anyone wishes to do extended cuts anyway.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Granted this is obviously so cause ANH was the first movie, and Rogue One was made years later.

Yet rewatching ANH is great initially cause you get this huge jolt of the chase but the obvious slowdown to character/world build when R2 & C3PO hit Tat is sorta jarring.

Zombine

Banned
"Disney"

In both cases Marvel and Lucasfilm could do what they want, and at least in Lucasfilm's case it might be at least partly up to the director methinks (and I'm pretty sure Joss could have done extended Avengers cuts if he really, really wanted). And Disney has only put out two Lucasfilm movies anyway, one days old, so it's kind of hard to ascribe trends. That said, I doubt anyone wishes to do extended cuts anyway.

The point being that we haven't gotten an extended cut of any Marvel film, and even with 3+ hours of footage we are only ever going to see the theatrical cut of Force Awakens with deleted scenes included in the package. There is a trend that yes, Disney (the company which owns Marvel & Lucasfilm, with emloyees and members on each board) have yet to release an extended edition of any of their media.

The trend is present. I'm not anticipating an extended cut of Rogue One.

This movie is the best complimentary piece of work Lucasfilm could've added to the canon. Not just by how much lore was added, but the way the third act... SPOILERS...
leads up directly into A New Hope just blew my mind. Vader slaughtering rebels gave so much more context to the beginning of the first film, giving it a bigger sense of urgency.

im about halfway through the Rogue One novel, and i think that the novels of the movies are just not my thing. I thought it was just Allan Dean Foster's uninspired writing in the force awakens novel, but I think its just novels of the movie in general at this point.

Top Bottom