• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Zombine

Banned
Actually, my brother and I were talking about how we would love for Edwards to tackle a Clone Wars movie. What could they cover that isn't present in the show though?

Actually, my brother and I were talking about how we would love for Edwards to tackle a Clone Wars movie. What could they cover that isn't present in the show though?
It was a galaxy spanning war, so realistically they could do 100 movies right in that era and never come close to running out of stories.

I'd be down for that. There's really a lot of prequel era stories to be told that could be great, even if certain people are dead set on nixing the entire existence of the era altogether lol.

Fj0823

I'm still not convinced a live action Ahsoka would work.

Make-up on the face, CGI for the horns.

That way the actress can move and emote freely

Just came back, loved it. The right amount of nostalgia and some lovable new characters.

The beginning was rough, but it skyrocketed in quality after the
Vader in Mustafar scene

There were enough references to ALL of Star Wars, prequels, EU and the likes. I had a huge grin seeing
The Ghost, the call for Hera, the U wings, Saw, Bail,Tarkin,Mustafar, Leia and more

I also loved being the one to explain what was what to my friends.

It's funny, this movie had every right to be a nostalgia pandering wankfest, and it feels more original than the sequel that had no right to be said wankfest.

I give this movie a B+, only lost me with the kinda slow and tedious start

Leia's Rebels VA was pretty good.

no, luckily not as I thought she was horrible in rebels. Pretty sure they just put in Hope in post from the line in the original

Also please spoiler tag that original post for those that haven't seen it yet

Regarding CG

i thought it was very well done and honestly was surprised Tarkin had anywhere near the screen time that he does. They captured him perfectly, and with Tarkin being the only role I really knew Cushing from I didn't notice anything glaringly uncanny valley about it. I think we are looking for flaws because we know it's faked. I really thought Leia looked bad in comparison but I see people thinking she looked the better of them.

My wife is seeing it with me tomorrow and has no idea about either of them being in the movie, and honestly doesn't know who the fuck Tarkin is, so I'll be interested to see if she knew he was CG while watching it

Poe Dameron #9 kind of got lost in the Rogue One hype, but it was pretty good. Especially liked how
3PO is the one who accidentally informs the Guavians and the Kanjiklub about Han

Just read this and great pickup. I remember the moment in detail but didn't take it to its logical conclusion.

I'd also kill for a film adaptation of the Battlefront: Twilight Company book. Freed really nails the horrors of war. Seeing what Gareth Edwards did with R1 gives me a lot of hope it could be done.

Agreed, though I wonder if format-wise (what with the focus on individual engagements against the backdrop of
the rear-guard action covering the rebel retreat, Hoth, and then the aborted attack on Kuat
) it may be better suited to a miniseries type of setup.

Would definitely help to properly develop all the characters - and there are a lot of them - before (proper book spoilers here)
we see most of them die on Sullust ;_;

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
My fiancée
and on january 20th finally wife
is awesome.
my cinema had a special star wars kids menu and she bought it for me >>

lIu6wdy.jpg

S32fvZC.jpg

1Mpr5EA.jpg

curb

Banned
I really enjoyed Rogue One. That third act was great. I very much appreciated all the connections to
some of the other canon media like Clone Wars and Rebels.

After being disappointed with Giacchino's Doctor Strange score I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the music. Very fitting.

Oh, and
that Vader scene. Good lawd - exactly what I wanted.

I really enjoyed Rogue One. That third act was great. I very much appreciated all the connections to
some of the other canon media like Clone Wars and Rebels.

After being disappointed with Giacchino's Doctor Strange score I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the music. Very fitting.

Oh, and
that Vader scene. Good lawd - exactly what I wanted.

Nice to see most people in here enjoyed it. I can't wait to watch it again.

curb

Banned
Oh, and thanks to whoever it was that posted the synopsis of Catalyst a while ago. It's certainly not the same as having read it myself but it gave more weight to certain scenes knowing a bit of what happened in the book. Specifically
Tarkin and Krennic

Oh, and thanks to whoever it was that posted the synopsis of Catalyst a while ago. It's certainly not the same as having read it myself but it gave more weight to certain scenes knowing a bit of what happened in the book. Specifically
Tarkin and Krennic

Yeah, Catalyst does actually add a fair bit to the film. I don't think I would have liked Krennic as much without knowing how he's risen in the ranks trying to outmaneuver his opponents. It gave his relationship with the Erso's that much more weight as well, especially in the opening.
Krennic being killed by the project he's spent so much of his life devoted to was brilliant as well. I was sure Vader would off him when he failed to protect the plans but what we got was a lot better.

curb

Banned
Krennic being killed by the project he's spent so much of his life devoted to was brilliant as well. I was sure Vader would off him when he failed to protect the plans but what we got was a lot better.

I also feel like he had to know
it was Tarkin's finger on the trigger making that moment even better.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Can someone of you summarize some of the best and most to the movie adding parts of the novel? Wont read it until the Softcover releases next summer and pretty much read it even later^^

Can someone of you summarize some of the best and most to the movie adding parts of the novel? Wont read it until the Softcover releases next summer and pretty much read it even later^^

sphagnum did a good summary of Catalyst a few pages pack.

-Galen and Lyra are researching synthetic kyber crystals in the first year of the Clone Wars on the planet Vallt when a pro-separatist faction overthrows the government and imprisons them, trying to get them to aid the CIS. Galen refuses, and as a pacifist he won't help the Republic either.
-After the Second Battle of Geonosis, the Republic "somehow" comes into possession of the Death Star plans (obviously Palpatine's doing) and believes that the CIS is building a superweapon. The Special Weapons Group is tasked with reverse engineering the schematics and building it first, and Lt. Commander Orson Krennic - who was in the Futures Program with Galen - convinces Mas Amedda to rescue the Ersos, believing Galen's genius is crucial to making scientific breakthroughs for the necessary power.
-Krennic pretends to be an employee of Galen's company, Zerpen, and makes a prisoner swap with the separatists for Galen, providing two separatist scientists he had kidnapped, and after the escape the Republic bombards the separatists on Vallt. Krennic takes Galen to his homeworld, Grange, and makes him witness the CIS siege there to try to sway him to join the Republic but Galen refuses.
-The Ersos are kept under watch on Coruscant as the military tries to determine if they are a security threat as possible double agents. Galen is eventually exonerated on Krennic's word but he has trouble finding a job since everything in his field is tied to the war effort. Some other colleagues see him as a traitor. Months pass and Krennic preys on his insolvency getting him a job on Lokori for Helical HyperCom as a QA tech which he hopes will bore him to death and make him strive for more.
-Meanwhile, Krennic slyly convinces Poggle the Lesser, who is in captivity, to help the Republic, since Geonosians by nature need to build and become violent without work. Poggle is reinstated as a Republic vassal and announces to the Geonosian public that the Geonosians will construct their grandest project yet. They are tasked with working on the Death Star which is taking shape in orbit, the most basic ring having been built already by droids. However, Poggle purposefully overstaffs the project, making the drone workers restless, leading to them revolting and sabotaging months of work. In the chaos, Poggle escapes (which ties up a plot hole from TCW since it never explained how he escaped before RotS).
-Lokori comes under CIS assault until the end of the war. The Ersos almost die but are saved when the droid armies are shut down. They relocate back to Coruscant where Krennic proposes a new job as the head of Project Celestial Power, a postwar reconstruction project that he pitches as "the Emperor's dream" since it will focus on supplying cheap power to worlds damaged by the war. Galen jumps at the chance when he learns he will be working with kyber crystals since the Jedi can no longer hoard then, but Lyra is somewhat offended because she doesn't think they should tamper with the Force.
-Galen becomes enamored with his work and Krennic secretly has his notes supplied to a sister site on Malpaz where other scientists can study how to apply his research to weaponization of kyber crystals. However, they accidentally blow up the facility.
-Krennic becomes aware that Tarkin is his rival for the Emperor's interest as his constant setbacks and failure to convince Galen to participate in the program have turned Amedda against him. With the Geonosis asteroid belt mined dry, he convinces Tarkin to sign off on a plot to obtain resources from untouched "Legacy" planets which act as nature preserves by planting weapons caches there and claiming that separatist holdouts use them, giving the military pretext to take control of the planets and then mine them.
-Fearing that Lyra is too indepdendent, Krennic gets her a job on a scouting expedition on Alpinn to research a possible kyber vein, which keeps her and young Jyn out of the picture for months. He shows Galen the destroyed facility on Malpaz and claims that neoseparatist anarchists destroyed it and that their movement is spreading, hoping to convince Galen that his and Palpatine's dream will never be realized if he does not work with the military.

-After the expedition on Alpinn, Has Obitt (a smuggler Krennic had been using throughout the book to do his dirty work, like kidnap those scientists, drop the weapons on Legacy worlds, and fly Lyra out to Alpinn) has a crisis of conscience and shows Lyra the ruined Legacy worlds. Lyra comes to understand that Krennic is up to something. She gets extra freaked out when Krennic starts spying on her, following her to a playground on Coruscant where Jyn is playing to tell her not to cause stress for Galen.
-Galen drifts away from Lyra, obsessed with his work and thinking that she is wrong about Krennic, making excuses about the Empire making hard choices for the greater good when she tells him about the Legacy worlds. But he starts to get suspicious and looks into secret files on the other scientists and projects, revealing that the material from the Legacy worlds is not being accounted for. He starts to put two and two together and realizes his work is being weaponized.
-After finding out about Has' betrayal, Krennic sets up an elaborate scheme where he hires Has for what he promises to be a last mission to drop cargo in the Salient system to allow the Empire pretext to take it over to hunt for separatists; Tarkin is partially in on it but doesn't realize that Krennic knows that Has will break. When the inhabitants of Salient refuse to allow the Empire to take control, Has gets tangled up in a resistance movement with Saw Gerrera, which bogs down Tarkin for months as his understaffed group is forced to fight an insurgency. Tarkin realizes that Krennic set him up and after capturing Has he decides to use him as his own spy.
-Krennic has a bunch of scientists successfully create an early version of the superlaser using Galen's notes, which they fire on twin black holes. Afterwards he has the scientists, who were based on Hypori (including the Ersos' friend Reeva) disappeared and wiped from the Imperial archives, probably to work on Geonosis.
-The Ersos find out that Reeva and the others have gone missing. Galen finally admits to Lyra that he was wrong and that they have to escape. They sneak out during a holiday celebration, making it difficult for Krennic to follow them due to the crowds. Tarkin sends Has to Coruscant to mess with Krennic, unaware of the situation with the Ersos, but Krennic thinks that Has has come to pick them up. Has uses the confusion to his advatage, telling Krennic he's just meeting with another smuggler, and when they check his records he's right. Meanwhile, the Ersos meet up with Saw Gerrara who takes them to the planet Lahmu where they go into hiding.
-Krennic and Tarkin both hire Has, with Tarkin having Has spy on Krennic while Krennic has Has try to hunt down the Ersos. Obviously Has makes this difficult so that nothing gets accomplished.
-Tarkin is put in charge of the Death Star project due to his successful conquest of Salient and Krennic gets bumped down because of his loss of Galen.

curb

Banned
Aside from one really terrible episode (Iron Squadron), they've really been on an upswing lately. I can't wait for the rest of the season.

Rebels still hasn't grabbed me like Clone Wars eventually did but I definitely think the quality bar has been raised this season. I think it's finally hitting its stride.

I wasn't very impressed with the score but I might give it another watch to hear it again. I thought TFA's score was pretty great, weaving classic sounds with new ones.

curb

Banned
It took Clone Wars a little while to get really good, too.

It definitely did. I keep reminding myself that they're very different shows aimed at different audiences.

I think Clone Wars will always just click with me more than Rebels but they have managed to turn me from expecting to drop Rebels now that Ahsoka's gone to keeping up and enjoying this season.

I wasn't very impressed with the score but I might give it another watch to hear it again. I thought TFA's score was pretty great, weaving classic sounds with new ones.
As with TFA, I actually appreciated it a lot more when listening to it separately. There's always so much to take in when watching a SW film for the first time.

Top Bottom