• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

This movie is the best complimentary piece of work Lucasfilm could've added to the canon. Not just by how much lore was added, but the way the third act... SPOILERS...
leads up directly into A New Hope just blew my mind. Vader slaughtering rebels gave so much more context to the beginning of the first film, giving it a bigger sense of urgency.

It also answers several of the questions I always had about the OT (spoilered just in case):

- Why there wasn't a Rebel fleet in ANH
- Why Luke was pressed into service
- Why Han was so LOL towards the Alliance at first
- Why there were pretty much only humies left to attack the Death Star

I also really liked how it showed more of the Light side as a religion regular people believe in through Chirrut and Baze. You see just a bit of that in TFA with Lor San Tekka, so it was nice to have it fleshed out in RO.

Sayers

Damnit, thing was pretty pricey on amazon. Hopefully I can find a cheap used eBay copy.

After I'm finished with catalyst I'm going to run through the last four young adult books I haven't read yet, before listening to Ashoka.

I wouldn't pay money for the Clone Wars movie. Have you seen it already?

I could swallow Rey as a Kenobi alot easier if Sabine wasn't killed it the clone wars.
It could be something like the time they were together previously she did have a kid but because of the nature of her position, her age and Mandalore it was taken and hidden years before Clone Wars.
I honestly don't feel that would be much of a leap or out of place.

Malyse

True, the main reason I made this thread was because loads of people were asking for a place to talk Star Wars in the build up to TFA. It was a good idea.

Nah, I'm guessing the thread maker didn't know this one existed. It is hidden away a bit admittedly.
I somehow didn't see it in search, though that's prolly because "Star Wars" isn't exactly an uncommon thread topic. I definitely wouldn't had spent five hours on that OP if I knew this existed.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think they did a great job avoiding Star Wars overexposure this year.
Around this time last year, I already heard the first people becoming annoyed by Star Wars everywhere, on the toilet paper, on the battery, on the lipsticks, special pages with movie ads on Amazon.com, this year I have seen zero.
May be of course different in other coutries, but I think its a good idea to pushing the saga movies aggressiv and be more silent on the Anthology movies.

MrMephistoX

Around this time last year, I already heard the first people becoming annoyed by Star Wars everywhere, on the toilet paper, on the battery, on the lipsticks, special pages with movie ads on Amazon.com, this year I have seen zero.
May be of course different in other coutries, but I think its a good idea to pushing the saga movies aggressiv and be more silent on the Anthology movies.

Don't forget the Yoda grapes! Honestly it's good Disney got it out of their system for their first Star Wars seems like they learned what does and doesn't sell.

Got my Rogue One visual guide today. It's slightly bigger than the previous ones as there's the usual visual guide content with the cross-sections as well. Definitely worth the £12 I paid for it.

The artbook looks good as well but I have to wait until Christmas. :(

Finished Catalyst last night. Read it in about two days. Overall it seemed like an average book to me. I'm seeing Rogue One tonight so maybe that will change my opinion of it. I don't think it stacks up to the other post-eu books I've read (Lost Stars and Bloodlines).

Anth0ny

seems like they chilled this year

but I expect them to go all out again next year with episode 8 and the 40th anniversary of ANH

they can release a 2 pack of rogue one and anh (original theatrical edition)!

Man, it really sucks there isn't a SW game to sink into over the holidays.

I already own Battlefront (man I wish they'd made it more like regular Battlefield), and TOR isn't my thing.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Man, it really sucks there isn't a SW game to sink into over the holidays.

I already own Battlefront (man I wish they'd made it more like regular Battlefield), and TOR isn't my thing.

Did you already play Disney Infinity and Lego TFA? Both are great for the price you can find these days.

Anth0ny

Disney can't distribute ANH yet right?

they've been distributing it... these steelbooks were released completely under disney:

steelcase2-tn1bsep.jpg

I'm sure Disney has something worked out behind the scenes where they'd be able to distribute ANH at will, even if Fox gets a cut or something.

they've been distributing it... these steelbooks were released completely under disney:

steelcase2-tn1bsep.jpg

I'm sure Disney has something worked out behind the scenes where they'd be able to distribute ANH at will, even if Fox gets a cut or something.

Am I thinking about the original cuts then? I swear I'm not crazy.

In a way I'm kinda surprised we went from the whole 'Journey to The Force Awakens' multimedia thing where there were comics and little character books and novels and stuff for people that wanted to engage in more depth before the movie to basically just Catalyst in terms of actual narrative media. I wonder if the reshoots and the movie coming together a bit later might have accounted for some of that. I assume for the main saga they mapped out the new trilogy in broad terms at the start so the creators of the later films could start work, so perhaps it's easier to plan all the supplementary media for those.

Wanderer5

steelcase2-tn1bsep.jpg

Still cracks me up that Yoda stands out like a sore thumb among the others being villains.

Anth0ny

Am I thinking about the original cuts then? I swear I'm not crazy.

I think there's a deal in place with Fox until 2020 for ESB and ROTJ and forever for ANH... but I think people are just blowing it out of proportion and the two are working together so it's not a problem.

Like, this deal, whatever it is, isn't going to prevent Disney from releasing whatever they want, whenever they want.

In a way I'm kinda surprised we went from the whole 'Journey to The Force Awakens' multimedia thing where there were comics and little character books and novels and stuff for people that wanted to engage in more depth before the movie to basically just Catalyst in terms of actual narrative media. I wonder if the reshoots and the movie coming together a bit later might have accounted for some of that. I assume for the main saga they mapped out the new trilogy in broad terms at the start so the creators of the later films could start work, so perhaps it's easier to plan all the supplementary media for those.

The only 'Journey to The Force Awakens' book that really acted as an accompaniment to the film was Before The Awakening though. I liked several of the books under that banner but they were barely related. The creators wouldn't have had to know the state of the galaxy in TFA to write Shattered Empire or Smuggler's Run. The Force Awakens' release was always going to be more of an event and they took advantage of it.

Catalyst feels like they had a lot of leftover ideas regarding the backstory of the characters and asked Luceno to expand on them in a novel. I wouldn't be surprised if they return to some of the characters in the future.

Nodnol

Hey all,

Hope we are all enjoying Rogue One. Saw it today and very much enjoyed it.

Anyway, the OT is for my thoughts on that.

Where are we at with VIII? I can't find much out there at all really, and I'm really surprised they didn't put a trailer out in front of Rogue One. Are we expecting it to be around Celebration?

Hey all,

Hope we are all enjoying Rogue One. Saw it today and very much enjoyed it.

Anyway, the OT is for my thoughts on that.

Where are we at with VIII? I can't find much out there at all really, and I'm really surprised they didn't put a trailer out in front of Rogue One. Are we expecting it to be around Celebration?

Kathy Kennedy has said we'll start to see more of VIII in Spring 2017. I'm guessing a title reveal before Celebration and the first teaser there.

There's a few early rumours in the Spoilers and Speculation thread.

Nodnol

I can't remember the timeline for all the leaks and rumours for TFA; MakingStarWars had it all quite early, didn't they? I don't remember discussing it on here until the second trailer I think, but I struggle to remember what I did last week so who knows.

Think they're running a tighter ship this time round?

I can't remember the timeline for all the leaks and rumours for TFA; MakingStarWars had it all quite early, didn't they? I don't remember discussing it on here until the second trailer I think, but I struggle to remember what I did last week so who knows.

Think they're running a tighter ship this time round?

The theory is that TFA had all those leaks because of the break in production after Harrison's injury. Some of the production staff never returned and it sounds like a few were in regular contact with Making Star Wars and the like.

Rogue One was a very tight ship. They'll be hoping VIII is the same, but obviously there'll be more people hunting down leaks for a main saga film.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Still cracks me up that Yoda stands out like a sore thumb among the others being villains.

I dunno

He fucked up and let the clone wars start in the movie that adorns his face there, which got the whole ball rolling

I'd say he's on a similar level as the bad guys.

Cheebo

Banned

steelcase2-tn1bsep.jpg

Those were not all distributed by Disney. Check the actual blurays. 20th Century Fox.

Going through The Clone Wars right now and it's really really good, surprisingly mature and really the prequels we should've gotten. It does an amazing job expanding the universe and its well written albeit a little slow at the beginning.

Would be nice if Disney struck up a deal with Netflix to get it started again since I hear the show kind of got cancelled.

iosefe

Going through The Clone Wars right now and it's really really good, surprisingly mature and really the prequels we should've gotten. It does an amazing job expanding the universe and its well written albeit a little slow at the beginning.

Would be nice if Disney struck up a deal with Netflix to get it started again since I hear the show kind of got cancelled.

there were able to put a half season on Netflix, but the stories are now continued with certain characters in Rebels

Cheebo

Banned

The creative team behind it moved on to Rebels. Which wraps up most of the stories of Clone Wars and brings back many of its characters.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Clone Wars is amazing. Most people pick 3-6 as the peak seasons, but my favorite season in terms of consistency is actually 2. I don't know where you're at, but if you're enjoying it early on, you're going to get a kick out of the later seasons. You'll also see the animation quality improve quite a bit.

Definitely move on to Rebels as some point. The first season's just okay, but second season is where it's at. Greatness awaits

Been listening to Empire's spoiler filled interview with Gareh Edwards. Some interesting info but don't read if you haven't watched it yet.

-
In the first version of the screenplay, the team survived
-
Edwards directed the Vader action scene and Peter Jackson got to watch it being filmed

shingi70

Banned
Reading though Catalyst and shadiness aside Krenic seems like a bro how can't comprehend his boy has a family now. Not having seen the movie it's a pretty great character piece and having be little segments with Has and Tarkin have been great.

I wonder when were going to learn what Finloni has been working on.

i just checked my self, US user, and it was pulled it seems
That's frustrating. I thought Disney had a deal with Netflix? It would be nice if we got Star Wars streamable all in one place, or at least the movies and shows they have full control of especially with the growing interest in the series.

shingi70

Banned
That's frustrating. I thought Disney had a deal with Netflix? It would be nice if we got Star Wars streamable all in one place, or at least the movies and shows they have full control of especially with the growing interest in the series.

Disney does have a few.but it seems oddly selective. Rebels.isnt on their but the marvel cartoons are. Alot of other Disney shows are missing as well.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Played a bit of Infinity a while ago. I might pick up the Lego game for my kids - I've played a few of those, and they're unfortunately not my thing.

I'm not a big Lego game fan either, but this is one waaaayy better than what they've done recently.

Also pick up the other Infinity packs they are worth it! If you look around you can find stuff for like $10 for a playset.

Top Bottom