• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Out of curiosity: Does rebels have the same level of maturity and violence as Clone Wars or did it get toned down?

And I mean maturity in terms of writing and content as in: this is not explicitly written or dumbed down for a younger audience

JDHarbs

Out of curiosity: Does rebels have the same level of maturity and violence as Clone Wars or did it get toned down?

And I mean maturity in terms of writing and content as in: this is not explicitly written or dumbed down for a younger audience
It never really matches Rogue One, but some episodes come close in the later seasons.

Edit: sorry, thought you were discussing clone wars

Ezalc

The first season is more kids show than Clone Wars was, but starting with season two the show starts getting more serious and darker.

I have my own question about something else. I just saw Rogue One tonight and loved it, what are the new books that are good reads as companion pieces to this and ep 7 again? Catalyst and Aftermath?

Sayers

Violence is toned WAAAYYY down. The target audience for Rebels is younger than the target for TCW.

Maturity in writing really varies. There are some pretty goofy (though still enjoyable) episodes, especially in the first season. But other episodes can get pretty dark. The second season finale in particular would have fit right in with TCW in terms of tone. It's actually not too hard to guess which episodes of Rebels were written and directed by Filoni.

Kinda unfortunate that Rebels gets toned down but nice to see it retains some of the subject matter.

Also: am I the only one that's entertained by Droid humor, at least in TCW

Rebels is definitely a softer show than TCW. Sadly the by product of it being the Disney XD flagship show (or co-flagship). There are some excellent episodes all the same, some of which are on part with the best of TCW.

Rebels is definitely a softer show than TCW. Sadly the by product of it being the Disney XD flagship show (or co-flagship). There are some excellent episodes all the same, some of which are on part with the best of TCW.

It does have lower lows, although TCW had some miserable episodes too.
It's high episodes are some of the best of Star Wars though, for certain.
My biggest wish for Rebels would be more multi-episode arcs to let the stories breathe a little more.

My biggest wish for Rebels would be more multi-episode arcs to let the stories breathe a little more.

I caught up on Rebels over the weekend (was seven episodes behind), and I think the episodic nature is why I'm not big on it. Clone Wars excelled with we were given 3-5 episode arcs, and we just don't get that with this show.

I caught up on Rebels over the weekend (was seven episodes behind), and I think the episodic nature is why I'm not big on it. Clone Wars excelled with we were given 3-5 episode arcs, and we just don't get that with this show.

Yep, although ironically it's coming back with a small arc. *jedi shrug*

Sayers

Indeed, it is no coincidence that the 40 minute season premieres and finales are the best episodes of the show.

Is there any reason force sensitives don't use the force more often? Watching TCW right now and it seems so many problems could be easily be solved if they just used the force and brought said item or person towards them.

Surfinn

Is there any reason force sensitives don't use the force more often? Watching TCW right now and it seems so many problems could be easily be solved if they just used the force and brought said item or person towards them.
Exactly what it was thinking. After watching TCW for two seasons I fail to see GAF's obsession with it. Better than the PT from a storytelling perspective but they just double down on so many of the weaknesses from those films.

Exactly what it was thinking. After watching TCW for two seasons I fail to see GAF's obsession with it. Better than the PT from a storytelling perspective but they just double down on so many of the weaknesses from those films.
I love the show but, I don't understand why they waste time facing off against people running away from them carrying stuff when they can either bring them or the object to them.

Ezalc

You stopped watching just as the show was getting good.

Also, the reason I enjoyed it so much was because it actually made characters out of the clones. I love seeing grunts getting some sort of development and they managed to make literal clones be incredibly different from each other and easily relatable.

Also the series has Quinlan Vos and Kit Fisto episodes. Something we could always use more of.

Sayers

So there's no reason or anything like its 'mentally/physically taxing' it's just kind of whatever.

Posters better steeped in the lore than I could tell you if there is ever a justification given.

If not, we could always pester Pablo Hidalgo on twitter about it.

I love the show but, I don't understand why they waste time facing off against people running away from them carrying stuff when they can either bring them or the object to them.

That would make every encounter in the show the same.

The Force will never be consistent. It's inconsistent by definition. If you get too technical about it you end up going down the Midi-chlorian route. It's best to just roll with it.

Toa TAK

Banned
You only watched the first two seasons?

That's where you messed up.

You only watched the first two seasons?

That's where you messed up.

Yeah, I wouldn't have considered myself a big fan of the show after the first two seasons but it definitely got more ambitious in the later series' and a bit darker as well. The animation improving helped too.

Yeah, I wouldn't have considered myself a big fan of the show after the first two seasons but it definitely got more ambitious in the later series' and a bit darker as well. The animation improving helped too.

First season had Rookies, Lair of Grievous, and Hostage Crisis which are some of the best episodes of the whole series.

Gravidee

I'd actually argue that TCW has had lower lows than even the lows of Rebels (that sounded strange, lol). Most of the episodes involving Jar Jar or gungans are horrible, the worst ones being when he was disguised as a Jedi on Rodia and that other one on Naboo when Grievous got owned by the boombas and Tarpals died a miserably pointless death.

1439881322962.jpg

The other bad episodes were usually political or droid related.

I'd actually argue that TCW has had lower lows than even the lows of Rebels (that sounded strange, lol). Anything involving Jar Jar or gungans are horrible, the worst ones being when he was disguised as a Jedi on Rodia and that other one on Naboo when Grievous got owned by the boombas and Tarpals died a miserably pointless death.

1439881322962.jpg

The other bad episodes were usually political or droid related.
Ftfy

I'd say the low points of Rebels are on part with that Droid-commando arc in TCW. Not bad, but eeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh I don't even think my kids enjoyed it.

Disclaimer: We've only seen Rebels' season 1 and bits of season 2.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
And Season 2 had the Holocron Heist, Geonosis and Duchess of Mandalore arcs.

And people still consider that one of the weaker seasons... I don't see it. It was the season that convinced me the show was vastly improving in a short amount of time and I should keep watching. And even after having watched everything I still consider it the most consistent season.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

thanks to amazon's customer service I paid like 21€ for the hardcover comic book. one of the corners was slightly damaged and I got some money back.

pretty happy about it and will read it tomorrow

I like that I've them all in a neat package now :D

Top Bottom